Author Topic: Purpura inundated  (Read 4254 times)

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
Purpura inundated
« on: November 05, 2005, 03:24:53 pm »

Quote:

Purpura has an interest in bringing all of them back, but added he has been inundated with calls from agents whose players they represent who have an interest in coming to the Astros.

Purpura acknowledged free-agent catchers Bengie Molina and Ramon Hernandez are on the Astros' radar, but the club's first priority is re-signing Ausmus. Lefthander Scott Eyre is also high on the Astros' list.

The Link
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Purpura inundated
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 03:48:20 pm »
Lefthander Scott Eyre hit .333 last season!  Not alota pop, though.  Two years ago he had an ops of 1000.

Sign this guy as a shortstop!
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Matt

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 09:48:50 pm »
Molina would be a cool pick up.  At least they're thinking about him.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 11:23:31 pm »
Quote:

Molina would be a cool pick up.  At least they're thinking about him.

I'm not that big on Molina.  Hernandez would be a better choice, IMO.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 11:36:28 pm »
Ah yes he is younger and I think they are similar but I have seen more of Molina then Hernandez. Molina is pretty clutch at the plate. I imagine Hernandez will cost more too but either one would be good.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 11:57:20 pm »
Quote:

Molina is pretty clutch at the plate.

I look for defense when choosing a catcher.  Hernandez is better, and neither is as good as Ausmus.  Molina throws well, but overall I don't like his catching.  He's simply a better hitting version of Raul Chavez.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 12:15:05 am »
Pupura must be having as much fun as a kid in a candy shop or like asking for a big special present for christmas and getting .. kinda choices most gm would like ot have boutnow
forever is composed entirely of nows

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 01:57:51 am »
I almost like ausmus as much as budgirl (in as hetero a way as possible), but I would imagine he wouldn't mind a roll such as catching clemens and one other and handing over the primary reigns to another guy.   He is certainly as much a competitor as any professional athlete but cerebral enough to know the benefits of said situation

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 01:17:18 pm »
anyone here have an opinion of encarnacion?   Baseball talking heads seemed to speak well of him, but his numbers don't seem all that great.  is he going to be expensive/worth looking at, etc?

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 02:21:37 pm »
I've watched Molina play pretty regularly for 5 years now and think his defense is under rated a bit.  He's very excellent at blocking balls in the dirt and has to be due to Frankie Rodriguez's slider.  It just reminds me of Ausmus' work with Qualls and Lidge.  I have no clue about his pitch calling except for what players say.  Hernandez is definately better though.  I wonder how much more he'll cost then Molina.  Apparently Molina was looking for 3 years and the Angels wouldn't go that long with a new contract.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 02:37:28 pm »
Quote:

anyone here have an opinion of encarnacion?   Baseball talking heads seemed to speak well of him, but his numbers don't seem all that great.  is he going to be expensive/worth looking at, etc?

only worth looking at as a 4th OF, IMO- a role he'd be perfect for, considering he has some pop and can play all three spots. But mlb teams are probably a year or two away from realizing that's all he should be. He'd have been an upgrade over Burke last year, but with Bagwell hopefully coming back they don't need someone like Encarnacion to start.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 02:54:16 pm »
Quote:

Apparently Molina was looking for 3 years and the Angels wouldn't go that long with a new contract.

I believe they've got a C prospect they want to check out. This is from Stats, Inc. (a year old, I think):

Quote:

Molina is one of the better contact hitters in the AL. In part because of that, he is one of the Angels' best hitters with runners in scoring position. On the other hand, he probably is the slowest baserunner in the AL, and therefore one of the easiest double-play victims around. His defense, other than his lack of mobility, is practically flawless. However, his success rate against basestealers dropped sharply last year.

Won Gold Gloves in 2001 & 2003. The Mets want him. Hit several HR in the ALDS, so could enjoy a mini-Beltran effect.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 03:10:51 pm »
Yeah they got a kid they're bringing up to back up the other Molina brother. Forget his name right now.  Last I heard around here is the Mets lost interest in Molina and have their eyes set on a Japanese player.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 03:22:22 pm »
Quote:

Yeah they got a kid they're bringing up to back up the other Molina brother. Forget his name right now.  Last I heard around here is the Mets lost interest in Molina and have their eyes set on a Japanese player.

The steM are looking at 29-year-old Japanese catcher Kenji Jojima.

Jeff Mathis is the Angels prospect.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 03:29:09 pm »
Quote:

I've watched Molina play pretty regularly for 5 years now and think his defense is under rated a bit.  He's very excellent at blocking balls in the dirt and has to be due to Frankie Rodriguez's slider.  It just reminds me of Ausmus' work with Qualls and Lidge.  I have no clue about his pitch calling except for what players say.  Hernandez is definately better though.  I wonder how much more he'll cost then Molina.  Apparently Molina was looking for 3 years and the Angels wouldn't go that long with a new contract.

I haven't seen Molina as much as you then and perhaps I'd think more of him if I saw more of him.  Still, I like Hernandez better.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 03:36:39 pm »
Quote:

I haven't seen Molina as much as you then and perhaps I'd think more of him if I saw more of him.  Still, I like Hernandez better.

Oh me too.  He's the better of the two and is younger.  Probably the more expensive one too.  I'm just wondering if Purpura is seriously pursuing a catcher.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 11:51:45 pm »
Depth a the position seems waranted with this rotation.  I'd love the addition of Hernandez, but I'd also welcome Molina over Chavez/Quintero.
RO RASROS!

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 10:40:43 am »
Quote:

Depth a the position seems waranted with this rotation.  I'd love the addition of Hernandez, but I'd also welcome Molina over Chavez/Quintero.

Speaking of Quintero, are the Astros punting on his services?  Did the Stros really see enough of him to know he is not their catcher of the future?
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 11:05:08 am »
you are talking about the same team that gave redding how many chances?
forever is composed entirely of nows

jasonact

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 02:27:30 pm »
Quote:

Speaking of Quintero, are the Astros punting on his services?  Did the Stros really see enough of him to know he is not their catcher of the future?

IMO, I don't think the Astros have "punted" on Quintero. I just don't think they see him as being ready to handle 1st-string catching duties. I think the jury is still out as to whether or not he ever will be, but the Astros see enough to keep him on their radar. Besides, it's not like there's a hot propect breathing down his neck to pass him on the depth chart.
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 03:07:32 pm »
And also...Clemens humbly mentioned there was absolutely no chance of him coming back without ausmus behind the plate.  So, until Clemens makes his decision, Ausmus will be the #1 option (but I am sure they are pursuing others in case clemens retires....and brad summarily signs with SD).