Author Topic: Today is the most depressing day of the year  (Read 1879 times)

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Today is the most depressing day of the year
« on: October 27, 2005, 12:50:35 pm »
...because it represents the longest amount of time between the end of one season and the beginning of the next.  Even if they had won, there would still be that empty feeling provided by late fall/winter.  NFL season officially starts Sunday, as far as I'm concerned.

115 long days until pitchers and catchers report.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: Today is the most depressing day of the year
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 01:22:59 pm »
Quote:

...because it represents the longest amount of time between the end of one season and the beginning of the next.  Even if they had won, there would still be that empty feeling provided by late fall/winter.  NFL season officially starts Sunday, as far as I'm concerned.

College football is in full swing.  Now that the Astros are done, I'm just hoping one of my favorite teams wins a championship this year. That's right, #1 in the BCS baby (ok just for this week). Man, that would have been sweet if the Stros had won it all then the Horns win it all.  Ah, what might have been.

Hook Em Horns!!!!!!
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 01:26:45 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

College football is in full swing.  Now that the Astros are done, I'm just hoping one of my favorite teams wins a championship this year. That's right, #1 in the BCS baby (ok just for this week). Man, that would have been sweet if the Stros had won it all then the Horns win it all.  Ah, what might have been.

Hook Em Horns!!!!!!

Doesn't UT already have a championship this year? In a similar sport to that which the Astros play.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

JackAstro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 02:22:14 pm »
Quote:

Doesn't UT already have a championship this year? In a similar sport to that which the Astros play.

According to my kid, yes. Yes they do.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 04:09:44 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hook Em Horns!!!!!!

Indeed they do but I've never really followed college baseball.  At least not to the extent that I follow college football.  If UT football wins the national championship this year, I'd rate that at the same level of jubilation and satisfaction as if the Astros had won the world series (i.e. I'd be going out of my mind crazy, burning cars, rioting, etc. etc.).
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 04:17:03 pm »
Same with me.  As it says in my profile:  "Stros and Horns, not always in that order."
60% of the time... it works everytime.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Today is a Depressing Day for the White Sox
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 04:58:07 pm »
They have to go back to Chicago.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 06:37:45 pm »
Quote:

College football is in full swing.

well, if you're an aggie, that just makes it worse.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Wisdom from 'Shoe'
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 07:05:09 pm »
I'd post a link if I had one, but there was a wonderful line from 'Shoe' a few years ago about the value of football in American culture ... It keeps the brain warm between the World Series and Spring Training.

As for me, I'd just as soon start speculating on who will be where in the Astro's organization next year, but in case it does get slow, there's always football.
Up in the Air