Author Topic: Let's talk '06...will there be $$ to bring everyone back??  (Read 21085 times)

wingnut

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
Let's talk '06...will there be $$ to bring everyone back??
« on: October 27, 2005, 02:07:38 am »
Some of our players are due for big raises:

Pettite from 8.5M to 17.5M (plus 8 Mil)
Oswalt from 5.9M to 11M (plus 5.1 Mil)
Berkman from 10.5M to 14.5M (plus 4.5Mil)
Biggio from 3M to 4M (plus 1Mil)
Bagwell from 15M to 17M (plus 2 Mil)

That's just over 20 million in additional payroll, plus Everett, Ensberg, Lidge, and Wheeler are eligible for arbitration which should be another 5-10 million or so.  Finally, Ausmus and Clemens will need new contracts.

Do you think the club stays intact?  Will they add payroll and pick up another bat or arm?  What should the club do, and more importantly, what do you think the Wallet and Pupura will do?

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk '06...will there be $$ to bring everyone back??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 02:10:51 am »

Quote:

That's just over 20 million in additional payroll, plus Everett, Ensberg, Lidge, and Wheeler are eligible for arbitration which should be another 5-10 million or so. Finally, Ausmus and Clemens will need new contracts.

the ticket sales from the last 2 seasons playoff games COULD cover that.  

i think Drayton sells the team.  Just a gut feeling.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

CrawfordBoxes

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 02:12:59 am »
Drayton won't sell shit! But as far as I'm concerned I like this team, I love this team- It was such a fun year but we need to add a damn bat. I think the Grocer needs to Pony Up and field a better hitting team.
Make a runnnnnnnn!!!!

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 02:20:01 am »
I'm really curious to see what happens to ticket prices next year.  Probably went to more games this year than I did in my entire life before, and before they got hot the wife and I were tossing around the idea of buying a nice-sized package for 2006.  I only imagine that making it to the circus that is the World Series will stoke interest--which can only be good for the team--but I'm hoping they don't price us out of the market.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 02:20:36 am »
Quote:

Drayton won't sell shit! But as far as I'm concerned I like this team, I love this team- It was such a fun year but we need to add a damn bat. I think the Grocer needs to Pony Up and field a better hitting team.

We just won the National League.   That is a *pretty* good team if you ask me.

adding a bat would be great, but as has been posted, we got a lot of players that are due some cash.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

UpTooLate

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 02:21:00 am »
Has Ausmus been resigned?  IIRC he has not.  My gut feeling is that Roger retires, but the team stays intact.  Uncle Drayton does not sell the team and uses money saved this year to pony up for a big bat.
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 02:23:28 am »
Quote:

Has Ausmus been resigned?  IIRC he has not.

I'm 99% sure you are correct.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 02:25:03 am »
Quote:

Has Ausmus been resigned?  IIRC he has not.  My gut feeling is that Roger retires, but the team stays intact.  Uncle Drayton does not sell the team and uses money saved this year to pony up for a big bat.

There will be very few changes to this club. Maybe Roger doesn't come back, but that's it. The lineup will be what it is. Palmeiro and Viz might be gone,  but that's as big of a turnover as there's likely to be. No big bat is coming on, so give that a rest. Ausmus will probably be back, but obviously anything can happen. This will substantially be the same team, one year older, and possibly without Clemens. God bless 'em, I already can't wait for next year.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 02:25:33 am »
Quote:

My gut feeling is that Roger retires...

Actually, I agree with you on that too.  75% chance he hangs 'em up, IMO.  

Of course, I don't know shit about anything, so there ya go.

wingnut

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 02:29:51 am »
Ausmus hasn't been resigned yet. This club needs more offense from somewhere. I'd actually like them to go after Furcal or Matsui.  I think they need to improve on Everrett or Lamb/Burke.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 02:33:26 am »
Quote:

No big bat is coming on, so give that a rest.  

Why do you think that no bat will be brought on?  I have my doubts on Burke being the left fielder of the future.  If anything, his trade value has increased.  Drayton saved a truck load of money this year by all the moves he didn't make.  Playoff revenues cannot hurt either.  Add to that the increased excitment by the bandwagoners, I think he'll make an interesting move if the right player is available.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
Re: Let's talk '06...will there be $$ to bring everyone back
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 02:36:37 am »
Quote:

Why do you think that no bat will be brought on?

Who makes way for said bat?
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 02:39:01 am »
Quote:

I'd actually like them to go after Furcal or Matsui.  

Frucal will never be a "good guy".
RO RASROS!

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 02:39:07 am »
Quote:

Quote:

If you mean, whom do we trade, my vote is Burke.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 02:42:00 am »
Quote:

Quote:

not only that, but who is said bat?  There aint much out there right now.

I feel pretty safe in saying, the entire IF is back.   With the Cost/Production you are getting out of RF and CF they aitn going anywhere.   That leaves ONE spot, LF.  And it only opens up if Bagwell cant go next year.

wingnut

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 02:46:17 am »
Like I said, two possibilities are Furcal or Matsui.  Furcal is an obvious offensive improvement over Everett.  Matsui in LF and Berkman at first would be much better than Berkman and Lamb/Burke.

As for Furcal not being a "good guy."  Well, maybe we need a player or two with a little mean streak or chip on their shoulder.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 03:11:18 am »
Quote:

hot...wife...tossing...the...package...

Man it's getting late.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 03:19:34 am »
Quote:

Quote:

hot...wife...tossing...the...package...

Man it's getting late.

Actually, that's pretty darn funny.  If you knew my wife it'd be even funnier.  

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 09:26:49 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you mean, whom do we trade, my vote is Burke.

I meant which starter. The only position-playing starters I could see at all not starting next year are Bagwell and Ausmus. Bagwell's departure would open up LF (Berkman to 1B). I hope Ausmus is re-signed.
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 10:02:58 am »
Quote:

Quote:

No big bat is coming on, so give that a rest.  

Why do you think that no bat will be brought on?  I have my doubts on Burke being the left fielder of the future.  If anything, his trade value has increased.  Drayton saved a truck load of money this year by all the moves he didn't make.  Playoff revenues cannot hurt either.  Add to that the increased excitment by the bandwagoners, I think he'll make an interesting move if the right player is available.

I'd love to see a big bat come on, and Burke is certainly expenable and certainly not the LF of the future. It's just that Tim will be handcuffed on major moves until he knows Bagwell's status, which Bagwell himself probably won't know till February at the earliest. By then, any significant FA will be long gone, as will good opportunities for trades. That's why I think the lineup won't undergo any major changes.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 11:03:30 am »
We will not get anyone to replace Everett.

I would like to see us get a bat.  As great of a season that Ensberg had this year, I don't see him consistently putting up those numbers in the 4 hole.  I would rather see him a spot or 2 down in the lineup.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 11:12:53 am »
Quote:

Ausmus hasn't been resigned yet. This club needs more offense from somewhere. I'd actually like them to go after Furcal or Matsui.  I think they need to improve on Everrett or Lamb/Burke.

Everett's fine.  If you're going to add a bat it has to be an OF/1B type because there's no room anywhere else.  Lamb gets bumped to the bench (where, in truth, he belongs).

The elephant in the room, however, is Bagwell.  If he can play, then the 1B and the outfield are all covered.  That won't be known for months yet.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 11:15:23 am »
As I said in a post a coupled of weeks ago, the Astros aren't going to do anything major next year unless Clemens or Bagwell retire. The Astros are going to count on Lane and Ensberg becoming more mature hitters and Wily T. improving on a very good rookie season.  With Berkman and Biggio and hopefully Bagwell contributing, the team has the potential to score runs.  Another bat would be nice, but unless Bagwell retires, there is no spot for said bat. The Astros aren't getting rid of Ausmus or Everett -- period.
Boom!

Andyzipp

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 11:27:16 am »
I agree with Todd, but I think you could make a case for signing a bat and playing them at 3rd, RF, and 1st (or) LF.

Can Konerko still play LF? Are the Astros still interested in Adam Dunn?

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 11:29:26 am »
If Clemens comes back, how much is he going to ask for this time?

Andyzipp

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 11:30:07 am »
At least 1 dollar more than he made in 2005.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 11:34:32 am »
Quote:

Can Konerko still play LF? Are the Astros still interested in Adam Dunn?

If Berkman can play left then (almost) anyone can.  However, Konerko is busy deciding exactly how many zeros he wants on his next contract.  Dunn would've been a nice mid-season pick-up for the '05 team, but I'm not convinced about him as a long-term solution.  Too many whiffs.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

wingnut

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2005, 11:43:45 am »
Quote:

I don't know.  With the physical breakdowns he had late this year, I could see the Astros leveraging a paycut out of him.  Especially if they promise to bring Koby up in September and let them play in a game together.  All that may be enough to let them convince Roger to come back for $12-$15 million.

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2005, 11:46:01 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know.  With the physical breakdowns he had late this year, I could see the Astros leveraging a paycut out of him.  Especially if they promise to bring Koby up in September and let them play in a game together.  All that may be enough to let them convince Roger to come back for $12-$15 million.

Maybe Drayton could get HEB to pony up some cash if that were to happen.  Or at least some free steaks or something.  (I really doubt this will ever take place though...unless Koby gets a lot better in a BIG hurry.)

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2005, 12:31:46 pm »
Quote:

I think they need to improve on Everrett  

Yawn. I have a feeling that due to AE's poor offensive performance in the WS, this will come up all too often in the offseason. I can hardly wait.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

xxx

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2005, 12:37:20 pm »
Quote:

I'm really curious to see what happens to ticket prices next year.  Probably went to more games this year than I did in my entire life before, and before they got hot the wife and I were tossing around the idea of buying a nice-sized package for 2006.  I only imagine that making it to the circus that is the World Series will stoke interest--which can only be good for the team--but I'm hoping they don't price us out of the market.

Afer last year going to the play offs our tickets went up I think $3 each. So we couldn't afford season tickets this year. But I imagine going to the world series this year will call for another increase.
It's all part of the game.....

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2005, 12:45:44 pm »
I hate to break it to many of you who want this-or-that FA.

Do not expect any "new" additions to the club for next year.  You might see some changes to the bench, as you MIGHT see Viz retire (he hinted at that earlier this season).

But here is what I view as the 25-man roster at this point for 2006.

Starters:
C: Ausmus (I could see them letting him walk, but doubt it)
1B: Bagwell (Until he announces his shoulder can't go, he is here)
2B: Biggio (working toward 3000, as long as he is productive)
3B: Ensberg (He was the MVP of the team this year, he just picked a bad time for a cold stretch)
SS: Everett (His glove is too big to just push aside)
LF: Berkman (I really hope the offseason allows him to get SOME mobility back, watching him run was painful)
CF: Taveras (Great Rookie season, but needs to work on making more contact)
RF: Lane (good power, cheap)

Bench:
Lamb (lefty power)
Burke (might get traded, plays 2B/LF/CF)
Bruntlett (super-sub, good pinch-runner)
Palmeiro (comfortable with role, solid bench quality)
Chavez/Quintero (gotta have a back-up C)
Scott (I see Viz retiring, Scott seems like most likely in-house guy)

14 position players.  Most likely guy above to be replaced might be OP.  That would be due to age and maybe giving a cheaper option a shot... only guy in house I can think of would be Coolbaugh, but see OP being back being the most likely option.

Starting Pitching (going to assume Clemens retires):
Oswalt
Pettitte
Backe
Wandy (To me has shown better potential)
Astacio/Buchholz/Nieve (we have several pitching options that are close)

Bullpen:
Lidge
Wheeler
Qualls (These 3 are easy choices)
Gallo (Seems like best lefty option, still cheap)
Springer (seemed good enough this year to be given a shot in 06)
Burns (most likely candidate to not make it if one the #5 starters moves to Pen)

11 Pitchers.

Guess what guys, there isn't much room for anyone to come into.  Now, you can trade away someone and open up a spot, but if you are wanting someone like Giles or Matsui or Konerko, you have to get rid of Bagwell or Lane most likely.  While losing them may not be much in your eyes, think about this: Bagwell will NEVER be traded, and he won't "consider" retiring until he has given it a go probably during ST, which means, 0 FAs left to take his slot; And Lane was our #2 HR hitter and #2 RBI guy in 05, even with the "ugly" swings he took.  Replacing him will only marginally improve the offense (ie he is not the real hole in the offense).

So I would be very surprised if the 06 Astros didn't look almost exactly like the 05 one, with the possible exception that Clemens won't be with them, and thus they need the younger guys to step up.  But in 07 you are looking at what might be alot of changes to the team as certain veterans contracts are up and huge money is comming off the books (ie Bagwell and Pettitte).  But unless Pettitte has gone in the tank, I see him re-signing by then.  But then again the Astros have a considerable amount of pitching talent that will be at least at AA and AAA next year.  Begin to listen for comments about guys like Nieve, Hirsh, and maybe even Patton and Barthmaier.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2005, 12:46:19 pm »
I don't see how you can justify another 20 million for Clemens, when he was broken down from Mid August onward.  The guys great- I love him etc. etc. however I have nightmares of us signing him for 20 million and getting about 12 starts out of him, capsizing our season next year.

Careful what you wish for on Rocket coming back imo.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2005, 12:50:49 pm »
Fro- I think you are spot on about everything that happens.

I know some guys are due raises, but if  you are right on Rocket (and I kinda sorta think you are) then I would really like to see Drayton use some of that money on getting another arm in here. Your projected rotation looks like 2 Aces, a 3/4 type, and 2 5 types.  The stros don't make the playoffs with that lineup with that many question marks/suspect guys.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2005, 12:51:44 pm »
Quote:

I know some guys are due raises, but if  you are right on Rocket (and I kinda sorta think you are) then I would really like to see Drayton use some of that money on getting another arm in here. Your projected rotation looks like 2 Aces, a 3/4 type, and 2 5 types.  The stros don't make the playoffs with that lineup with that many question marks/suspect guys.

Too bad Kris Benson is off the market.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2005, 01:01:25 pm »
Quote:

The stros don't make the playoffs with that lineup with that many question marks/suspect guys.

I think they can, but they have a lot of IFs that have to break right for them, just like they had to have a lot this year.

Think about this year and how bad the offense was.  IF you remove Roger, you can balance that loss IF Bagwell can come back as a productive bat with 25-35HR power.  Of course IF Backe takes the next step and takes his pitching performances at home, on the road with him, he can be a legit #2 type guy, and IF Wandy evolves after being in the bigs most of 05, and IF our #5 starter is more consistent than what the Astros have had the last couple of years, and IF Lane and Ensberg relax at the plate and become more consistant, and IF our bullpen does as well as last year, ...

you get the idea.  It is possible.  They proved that this year, they have the ability to do it.  But they don't have the talent to just assume they will.  I even seen the Co-ards falling back to the pack more, although I still think they are the best odds at winning the Central for at least one more year.

That is why we LOVE baseball and LOVE this team.  Anything can and eventually does happen.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2005, 01:03:50 pm »
Quote:

3B: Ensberg (He was the MVP of the team this year, he just picked a bad time for a cold stretch)

Respectfully disagree.  Taking into account only the regular season, this team goes no where without Berkman.  He is the MVP.

And Ausmus will be back.  He said on the radio this morning that the Astros had already contacted him.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2005, 01:16:39 pm »

Quote:

He needs to learn to take a pitch.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2005, 01:23:20 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

He needs to learn to take a pitch.

And perform a non-drag bunt.

I am incredibly impressed with Willy's season. He exceeded optomistic expectations, and hope he continues to do so considering they've now been raised.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2005, 01:27:20 pm »
Fro- sure- that team could make the playoffs.  But if we go to war with them I'd put those odds around 1/4 or 1/5 which is what I meant by that not making the playoffs.  Going into this year I thought we were about a coin flip.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2005, 01:33:44 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Respectfully disagree.  Taking into account only the regular season, this team goes no where without Berkman.  He is the MVP.

And Ausmus will be back.  He said on the radio this morning that the Astros had already contacted him.

don't get me wrong, Berkman is our best position player.  No arguements here.  But I recall hearing that Ensberg was voted the team MVP by the players.  Thus my comment.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2005, 01:41:46 pm »

Dunn would've been a nice mid-season pick-up for the '05 team, but I'm not convinced about him as a long-term solution.  Too many whiffs.

I respectfully disagree. In general, I don't necessarily think that whiffs are worse than other forms of outs. The list of top 20 players who struck out the most in a single season reads like a "Who's Who" of Cooperstown. And the bottom line is that Dunn gets on base & mashes.

I personally think Dunn is precisely the long-term solution for our lineup. Where else can we get someone who is:

1)A LF/1b type guy
2)A power-hitter
3)A guy who walks a lot
4)Young and not requesting big dollars way past his prime (ie. Giles)
5)From Houston & therefore inclined to want to stay here.

I don?t think OPS is the end all-be all, but it just so happens that our competitive disadvantage was OPS at the 1b/LF spot (depending where Berkman played). I contend that there is no other player in MLB who is CLOSE to being as good a fit for what this team needs.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2005, 01:45:50 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

don't get me wrong, Berkman is our best position player.  No arguements here.  But I recall hearing that Ensberg was voted the team MVP by the players.  Thus my comment.

They both kick ass.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2005, 01:50:30 pm »

Add to that the increased excitment by the bandwagoners, I think he'll make an interesting move if the right player is available.

Where does Pence fit in? I know he's not starting next season. But will the Wallet be less inclined to pursue a bat in light of said masher being a year or so away from being a potential long-term solution for LF?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2005, 01:50:47 pm »
Quote:

The list of top 20 players who struck out the most in a single season reads like a "Who's Who" of Cooperstown.

You may want to re-think that.  Names like Dunn, Bobby Bonds, Jose Hernandez, Preston Wilson, Rob Deer, Pete Incaviglia, Cecil Fielder, Mark Bellhorn, Mike Cameron, Mo Vaughn, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexon, Gorman Thomas, and Dave Nicholson are hardly a "Cooperstown Who's Who".  In the top 25, there is exactly one HOFer.  In fact, in the top 100, there are exactly three HOFers.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2005, 01:54:14 pm »
Quote:

But then again the Astros have a considerable amount of pitching talent that will be at least at AA and AAA next year.  Begin to listen for comments about guys like Nieve, Hirsh, and maybe even Patton and Barthmaier.

I guess I'm the guy to address this.  I have reservations about Nieve long-term.  I think he's going to have to improve his off-speed stuff if he wants to be included in a major league rotation.  Worst case I can see him in the bullpen as a setup man, ala Dotel.

I see Hirsh as the next guy coming up with a real shot at the rotation.  He's got a history of good health, unlike Buchholz; he's a bulldog; and his stuff is more polished than Nieve.  The only thing I'd like to see him improve on is reducing the number of pitches per inning, resulting in lasting longer in games.  I think he'll do that in 06.  I think the Round Rock folks are going to be pleased with Hirsh on the mound every 5th day.

Buchholz has got to show he can stay healthy.  Hopefully he's starting that now.  If so, then he may get a shot at the #5 spot this spring.  He's pitched well in the AFL so far.

Patton and Barthmaier are still a few years away yet.  Neither has touched a mound above A-ball.  I'm very interested in where they start the 06 season.  Also, look for Chance Douglass, who should be in the CC rotation starting 06.

The wild card, IMO, is Matt Albers.  If he's actually overcome is problems and can stay clean, look out.  He should be in CC to start the season.  Pitch for pitch, at his best, he's probably a little better than Patton and the closest to Oswalt, in terms of pure stuff, the Astros have in the farm system.  I'll be listen very closely for word about his off-field activities.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2005, 01:59:17 pm »
Quote:

Especially if they promise to bring Koby up in September and let them play in a game together.  All that may be enough to let them convince Roger to come back for $12-$15 million.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!
Goin' for a bus ride.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2005, 02:13:59 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The list of top 20 players who struck out the most in a single season reads like a "Who's Who" of Cooperstown.

You may want to re-think that.  Names like Dunn, Bobby Bonds, Jose Hernandez, Preston Wilson, Rob Deer, Pete Incaviglia, Cecil Fielder, Mark Bellhorn, Mike Cameron, Mo Vaughn, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexon, Gorman Thomas, and Dave Nicholson are hardly a "Cooperstown Who's Who".  In the top 25, there is exactly one HOFer.  In fact, in the top 100, there are exactly three HOFers.

I stand corrected.

Are you counting the list by season or by player? By that, I mean, if Player X holds the #2 & #6 slot, are you counting him twice or once? Just curious.

I was looking at the list, and I definitely exaggerated on the Cooperstown statement. But I think it?s still a legit point: Schmidt, Jackson, Ruth, Thome, Canseco (when he was actually great), Maguire, Sosa, Stargell all K?d a lot.

I just don?t see strikeouts as that huge a deal if you get on base & hit for power.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2005, 02:18:28 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I stand corrected.

Are you counting the list by season or by player? By that, I mean, if Player X holds the #2 & #6 slot, are you counting him twice or once? Just curious.

I was looking at the list, and I definitely exaggerated on the Cooperstown statement. But I think it?s still a legit point: Schmidt, Jackson, Ruth, Thome, Canseco (when he was actually great), Maguire, Sosa, Stargell all K?d a lot.

I just don?t see strikeouts as that huge a deal if you get on base & hit for power.

What?s interesting is that while most players were non-HOFers, many racked up their K?s during awesome seasons.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2005, 02:35:43 pm »
Quote:

I stand corrected.

Counting just once.  For example, Reggie Jackson is in the top 100 seasons a couple of times, as are Jose Hernandez and Rob Deer.  My point was, only one of the top 20 seasons was by a HOFer (Schmidt at #13 in arguably his worst season ever).  

Quote:

I was looking at the list, and I definitely exaggerated on the Cooperstown statement.

That's an understatement.

Quote:

Strikeouts are bad. They are not as bad if you can hit for a decent average, get on base and drive in runs when given the opportunity.  But there's something to be said for putting the ball in play too.  A couple of more times by Morgan Ensberg and the Astros sweep the World Series.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2005, 02:45:08 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Especially if they promise to bring Koby up in September and let them play in a game together.  All that may be enough to let them convince Roger to come back for $12-$15 million.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of "AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH". The first time we had this discussion, it was really quite productive, and a lot of very reasonable points were made. It didn't make my head hurt at all. Frankly, if playing one of Bagwell's daughters in right field for a game would convince him to throw lefty out of the pen, then I say make room on the damn roster. It's a no-brainer.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2005, 03:19:38 pm »
Thankfully, Fans are not incharge of the 25 and 40 man rosters.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2005, 03:20:55 pm »
Quote:

I agree, with the exception that I think Nieve will be a long shot for real consideration.
Up in the Air

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2005, 03:26:01 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I agree, with the exception that I think Nieve will be a long shot for real consideration.

I agree, but I think Scott was a real long shot during ST this year and he made the team...  Nieve still has some developing to do (see Jacksonian's comments), but I am not sold on Zeke being a very good fit at MMP.  I don't think his "stuff" is the issue either.  If you had to make me choose, I probably would prefer to give Buchholz a shot than see Zeke, but Taylor can't seem to stay healthy (although we said the same thing about Lidge a couple of years ago)....

pravata

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2005, 03:40:07 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of "AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH". The first time we had this discussion, it was really quite productive, and a lot of very reasonable points were made. It didn't make my head hurt at all. Frankly, if playing one of Bagwell's daughters in right field for a game would convince him to throw lefty out of the pen, then I say make room on the damn roster. It's a no-brainer.

Only if we kill, and I mean KILL, two birds with one very large stone dropped from a very large height, and have Koby play shortstop.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2005, 03:55:35 pm »
Quote:

I don't necessarily think that whiffs are worse than other forms of outs.

They are better than double-plays, but that's about it.  Making an out without putting bat on ball does nothing but change the number of outs.  They also embolden the enemy.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2005, 04:15:08 pm »
Quote:

Making an out without putting bat on ball does nothing but change the number of outs.  

Unless you're AJ Pierzynski.  And Doug Eddings is behind the plate, in which case strikeouts start 2-out rallies.

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2005, 04:20:23 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I don't necessarily think that whiffs are worse than other forms of outs.

They are better than double-plays, but that's about it.  Making an out without putting bat on ball does nothing but change the number of outs.  They also embolden the enemy.

Strikeouts are clearly bad. But if he can mash and get on base, why focus on the fact that many of his outs come via the K?

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2005, 04:21:03 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Only if we kill, and I mean KILL, two birds with one very large stone dropped from a very large height, and have Koby play shortstop.

Then they can both retire together at the end of next year (after we win the world series of course or else they have to come back again).
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2005, 06:32:29 pm »
Quote:

Strikeouts are clearly bad. But if he can mash and get on base, why focus on the fact that many of his outs come via the K?

I'm not passing judgment on Dunn's value one way or the other, but the answer to your question is in the baseball dictionary under fly, sacrifice. Some outs are definitely better than others, and it's no coincidence that he went about 2 trillion at bats between sac flies, spanning this season and last. Again, I'm not crapping on him as an option, just sayin'...
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Zan

• Veteran Role Player
  • BU Webguy's friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2005, 08:05:22 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not passing judgment on Dunn's value one way or the other, but the answer to your question is in the baseball dictionary under fly, sacrifice. Some outs are definitely better than others, and it's no coincidence that he went about 2 trillion at bats between sac flies, spanning this season and last. Again, I'm not crapping on him as an option, just sayin'...

I wonder about the lack of sac flies - is it partially because if Dunn hits it in the air to the OF, nobody's catching it?

I shouldn?t have made the point about K?s in a vacuum. I?d restate myself by saying that, like Jackson, Dunn?s power (not to mention his walks) more than make up for his terrible K-habit.  

And I can?t for the life of me think of a better option than Dunn. It just seems to me that if we pass on Dunn simply because he K?s too much as opposed to getting his outs via ground-out or fly balls then we are being awfully picky.

wingnut

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2005, 08:19:34 pm »
Well, Drayton was just on TV (Ch. 13 I think) and said that he plans to have the payroll about the same next year as this one.  That means they will definitely either make some trades to reduce payroll or not resign Clemens.  As my post that started this thread indicated, the $20 million they gave to Clemens last year is already spent on raises for Oswalt, Berkman, Pettite, and Bagwell, so the only way they could keep the team intact is to not re-sign Clemens, or perhaps have Bagwell retire and get an insurance company to pay the remainder of his contract.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2005, 12:32:45 am »
"call Koby up in September"

hahahahahahahahahahaha
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2005, 12:37:53 am »
Quote:

Well, Drayton was just on TV (Ch. 13 I think) and said that he plans to have the payroll about the same next year as this one.  That means they will definitely either make some trades to reduce payroll or not resign Clemens.  As my post that started this thread indicated, the $20 million they gave to Clemens last year is already spent on raises for Oswalt, Berkman, Pettite, and Bagwell, so the only way they could keep the team intact is to not re-sign Clemens, or perhaps have Bagwell retire and get an insurance company to pay the remainder of his contract.

If this is true it is horseshit.  The grocer had his register rung all post-season with a team that was about 17 million cheaper than he thought it was going to be during the offseason.  I don't know if the best move is to add a pricey guy, but I think the fans deserve the possibility

Astrobabe

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2005, 01:36:01 am »
Change nothing. This team is ready for a comeback. Just my gut feeling.
Roger comes back. Baggy retires but maintains a strong clubhouse presence.

Pay what you have to pay. Ride the enthusiasm to generate more $$$.

Russ99

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
    • www.thrustjet.com
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2005, 09:56:35 am »
Drayton's already trying to squeeze the budget. I don't think the Astros can really do anything unless the Clemens and Bagwell millstone contracts are somehow alleviated.

Drayton should renegotiate Bagwell's contract - As much as I love Bags, and as much as he means to the team, 17 million is way too much for a question mark at the plate and in the field. I'd like to see Drayton give him a 10 year personal services contract, and a much smaller base salary, maybe 5-8 mil with lots of reachable incentives, so that if Jeff can play, he'll make more money.

Clemens can't hold the payroll hostage again this year if he wants to come back for another season. I could see something between last year's deal and this year's. His contract this year really kept that extra bat from being a legitimate possibility.

Everyone else should be back except for Viz and OP. Burke could be traded for a missing piece of the puzzle, now that Biggio will be back next year.

" He is a throwback to the old days, when a player's most honored badges were mud and blood"

- Larry Dierker on Bill Doran -  The Scouting Report 1987

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2005, 10:35:06 am »
Quote:

Drayton should renegotiate Bagwell's contract - As much as I love Bags, and as much as he means to the team, 17 million is way too much for a question mark at the plate and in the field. I'd like to see Drayton give him a 10 year personal services contract, and a much smaller base salary, maybe 5-8 mil with lots of reachable incentives, so that if Jeff can play, he'll make more money.

Takes both sides to re-negotiate.  Why would Bagwell?  He's already deferred over half his salary in previous years, and he's already going to be paid for several years after he retires.  Would you tell your boss "just pay me half of my salary this year, you can pay me the rest after I retire"?

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2005, 10:38:44 am »
If Hunsicker gets the job in PHI, history tells us that a HOU-PHI trade or two might take place (Former GM/Asst. GM tandems seem to make trades often).

PHI seems to have a quandry at 1B for the next few years with Thome and Howard.  Any thoughts on what it might take to get Howard?  Seems like he would fit on this team fairly well.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2005, 10:47:12 am »
Quote:

If Hunsicker gets the job in PHI, history tells us that a HOU-PHI trade or two might take place (Former GM/Asst. GM tandems seem to make trades often).

PHI seems to have a quandry at 1B for the next few years with Thome and Howard.  Any thoughts on what it might take to get Howard?  Seems like he would fit on this team fairly well.

No way they trade Howard, unless it is for a top pitcher.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2005, 11:10:04 am »
Quote:

Rule of thumb: Do NOT make trades with Hunsicker.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2005, 11:12:09 am »
Quote:

Well, Drayton was just on TV (Ch. 13 I think) and said that he plans to have the payroll about the same next year as this one.

Well the good news is that this should put pay to any suggestion that Gascan Wagner is coming back.  However, Drayton has shown, year in year out, that if a player of quality is needed and attainable he will stretch the budget to get him.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2005, 12:56:54 pm »
Quote:

Thome is injured and old(er). Howard is the next big thing. They won't be trading Howard.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Russ99

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
    • www.thrustjet.com
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2005, 05:45:26 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Takes both sides to re-negotiate.  Why would Bagwell?  He's already deferred over half his salary in previous years, and he's already going to be paid for several years after he retires.  Would you tell your boss "just pay me half of my salary this year, you can pay me the rest after I retire"?

I see your point, but then again I'm not going to retire at age 40 as a city icon or as a millionaire many times over. If part of Bagwell's salary is going to be deferred next year, then it's a whole different situation.

" He is a throwback to the old days, when a player's most honored badges were mud and blood"

- Larry Dierker on Bill Doran -  The Scouting Report 1987

pravata

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2005, 05:48:34 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I see your point, but then again I'm not going to retire at age 40 as a city icon or as a millionaire many times over. If part of Bagwell's salary is going to be deferred next year, then it's a whole different situation.

Deferring just pushes the problem further out.  Also, I think it messes up the debt ratio somehow.  I can't think how at the moment.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2005, 05:54:38 pm »
Quote:

Deferring just pushes the problem further out.  Also, I think it messes up the debt ratio somehow.  I can't think how at the moment.

Deferring money doesn't do squat for payroll.  Bagwell will earn $17 million next year, that's the figure that counts against payroll.  $10 million of that is deferred until 2008, which means that for two years, the Astros will have to show an upaid debt of $10 million.  That's how if fucks with their debt ratio.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2005, 05:55:48 pm »
Quote:

$10 million of his $17 million salary will be deferred.  But that doesn't affect payroll for 2006.  The full $17 million counts against it.

pravata

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2005, 06:06:09 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Deferring money doesn't do squat for payroll.  Bagwell will earn $17 million next year, that's the figure that counts against payroll.  $10 million of that is deferred until 2008, which means that for two years, the Astros will have to show an upaid debt of $10 million.  That's how if fucks with their debt ratio.

Thanks, I knew the Diamondbacks had worked themselves into a hole with this, didn't understand how.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2005, 06:11:39 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, I knew the Diamondbacks had worked themselves into a hole with this, didn't understand how.

That's exactly how the DBacks got themselves in a hole.  They deferred so much money to help with cash flow, but they didn't think about how they were going to meet those obligations later and found themselves unable to make payroll.  MLB now has a rule that any deferred compensation has to be funded by the July after the year in which the salary is earned, regardless of when it's due to be paid.  You might could call this the Colangelo Rule.

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2005, 07:01:04 pm »
Froback,

That was an excellent take, and I think you hit the nail on the head.
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

cc

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2005, 07:04:43 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder about the lack of sac flies - is it partially because if Dunn hits it in the air to the OF, nobody's catching it?

I shouldn?t have made the point about K?s in a vacuum. I?d restate myself by saying that, like Jackson, Dunn?s power (not to mention his walks) more than make up for his terrible K-habit.  

And I can?t for the life of me think of a better option than Dunn. It just seems to me that if we pass on Dunn simply because he K?s too much as opposed to getting his outs via ground-out or fly balls then we are being awfully picky.

Well, fortunately, prior to the trading deadline Arky "crunched" the numbers on Dunn's propensity for striking out and not hitting SFs, and the relative impact it has on his overall production.  So pour yourself a pot of double shot espresso and pore over the facts.  You can decide for yourself.  Personally, I think the numbers bear him out as a great addition to this club:

The Link
"I'm against the knee-jerk dismissal of knee-jerk reactions."

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2005, 07:05:14 pm »
I think Lane will improve as he gains more experience.  I also believe that the pressure cooker that was the last 2 months of the season will serve him well in regular season games next year.

Of course I called the Stros to win game 4 "in a laugher" so what the hell do I know??
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

wingnut

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2005, 08:16:52 pm »
I've always thought that deferring money in a contract was a horseshit thing to do and just set you up for problems in the future.  As a matter of fact, I think in addition to his $17 million salary this year, the Astros actually owe Bagwell quite a bit (for some reason $8 million comes to mind) in money that was deferred from '02-'05.

I'm glad the Diamondbacks had these problems, because I think Drayton was heading toward the same thing.  I seem to remember some of the other big contracts like Kent and maybe Pettite had deferred money built into them.  Funding all of that now could hamper us this season, but it'll set us up for success down the road.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2005, 11:24:16 pm »
Quote:

I've always thought that deferring money in a contract was a horseshit thing to do and just set you up for problems in the future.

I dont' see where it's horseshit.  

Quote:

As a matter of fact, I think in addition to his $17 million salary this year, the Astros actually owe Bagwell quite a bit (for some reason $8 million comes to mind) in money that was deferred from '02-'05.

$10 million of Bagwell's $17 million for 2006 is deferred until 2008.  In 2006, he gets $6 million deferred from 2004, plus $3 million in deferred signing bonus from 2002.

Quote:

I seem to remember some of the other big contracts like Kent and maybe Pettite had deferred money built into them.  

A lot of contracts are structured this way.  The Astros will pay Jeff Kent $5.5 million next year.

billymaz

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2005, 01:44:14 am »
Quote:

Burke could be traded for a missing piece of the puzzle, now that Biggio will be back next year.

Burke is a damn good player that is going to get better and better when he finally gets to play a suitable position.
"Have you made your decision for Christ?"

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2005, 02:09:59 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, fortunately, prior to the trading deadline Arky "crunched" the numbers on Dunn's propensity for striking out and not hitting SFs, and the relative impact it has on his overall production.  So pour yourself a pot of double shot espresso and pore over the facts.  You can decide for yourself.  Personally, I think the numbers bear him out as a great addition to this club:

The Link

If Dunn is hitting 25 homers, walking 50 times, and striking out 175 times, he may be hurting you.

If Dunn is hitting 40 homers, walking 100 times, and striking out 175 times, he's probably not.

Dunn has 86 homers, 212 runs, 203 RBI and 222 walks over the last two seasons to go with his 363 strikeouts.

Look at it this way.  Let's say Dunn were striking out 122 times, which is a high but not unacceptable total for a power hitter.

If you take his other statistics as a ratio of his strikeouts, Dunn still hits 29 homers and draws 79 walks for every 122 strikeouts.

That doesn't strike me as an undesirable player to have on your team.  Especially when he's just turning 26 two weeks from now.

The Third Man

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2005, 06:01:13 am »
I think the '06 Astros are hamstrung by some bad contracts and a not very enticing group of free agents. I don't mind letting Taveres and Lane develop in favor of overpaying for Burnitz-like talent, but if they have a reasonable chance at Adam Dunn they have to go get him.  Maybe when the Reds fall out of playoff contention in May the Astros can pull off a package for him. I just think the possibility of getting a young and proven power hitter to put in the middle of Berkman and Ensberg is worth giving up some prospects and dealing with the strikeouts.  That's the plan, anyway. I guess I gravitate to the Dunn option because he actually wants to play in Houston and it doesn't appear that we have much young hitting talent in the pipeline. There is no way in hell Paul Konerko will ever play for us.  For the more knowledgeable fans around here, how much pitching should we give up for Dunn and what do you guess the Reds would accept?

cc

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2005, 05:39:25 pm »
And I don't how his reverse K's stack up to the other whiff-merchants in baseball over the last two decades, but it seems that an inordinate amount of Dunn's strikeouts were of the called variety.  Strikeouts are bad, period.  But what does it say, if anything, that a large percentage of his are not from wild swings and misses, but rather from taken pitches?  Perhaps it's easier to improve if so many are due to an overly-selective eye?  Or perhaps so many strikeouts looking is due to being fooled or caught napping way too often?

Just curious.
"I'm against the knee-jerk dismissal of knee-jerk reactions."

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2005, 09:31:05 pm »
Free Agent Tracker:

The Link
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2005, 01:19:05 am »
Quote:

Free Agent Tracker:

The Link

That's a handy page right there. Thanks.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2005, 01:21:46 am »
Quote:

And I don't how his reverse K's stack up to the other whiff-merchants in baseball over the last two decades, but it seems that an inordinate amount of Dunn's strikeouts were of the called variety.  Strikeouts are bad, period.  But what does it say, if anything, that a large percentage of his are not from wild swings and misses, but rather from taken pitches?  Perhaps it's easier to improve if so many are due to an overly-selective eye?  Or perhaps so many strikeouts looking is due to being fooled or caught napping way too often?

Just curious.

I thought Morgan might lead baseball in being struck out gawkin'. Dont know why, just an impression.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2005, 04:19:19 pm »
Quote:

I hate to break it to many of you who want this-or-that FA.

Do not expect any "new" additions to the club for next year.  You might see some changes to the bench, as you MIGHT see Viz retire (he hinted at that earlier this season).

But here is what I view as the 25-man roster at this point for 2006.

Starters:
C: Ausmus (I could see them letting him walk, but doubt it)
1B: Bagwell (Until he announces his shoulder can't go, he is here)
2B: Biggio (working toward 3000, as long as he is productive)
SS: Everett (His glove is too big to just push aside)
LF: Berkman (I really hope the offseason allows him to get SOME mobility back, watching him run was painful)
RF: Lane (good power, cheap)

I think you're probably right, not only due to the Bagwell situation, but because Purp seems to strongly prefer sitting on his hands to trying to do something creative. But I think we're all worried about the lineup. There are big unknowns with everybody except Berkman and Ausmus. Let's face it, this would have been a dominant team in the 80's. But these days, it's tough supporting two great-field, no-hit guys like Ausmus and Everett in the lineup.

Then again, who knew that Ausmus was 3rd on the team in BB? Good for a .351 OBP, which makes guys like R. Hernandez (LT .743 OPS) and B. Molina (LT .706 OPS) un-enormous upgrades, despite their superior power (then again, a lot of those BB undoubtedly came from hitting 8th).

Maybe what really makes it tough to generate runs with this crew isn't the weakness of Ausmus and Everett per se, but the fact that overall the team was very poor at getting on base. Say what you will about hitting w/ RISP in the playoffs; to get there again, the Astros NEED to be much more selective at the plate. Aside from Berkman and Ensberg, they sucked at this.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

CJM

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2005, 09:24:56 pm »
Quote:

Then again, who knew that Ausmus was 3rd on the team in BB? Good for a .351 OBP

Just about everybody on this board...

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2005, 12:09:37 am »
Quote:

But these days, it's tough supporting two great-field, no-hit guys like Ausmus and Everett in the lineup.

holy crap.  seriously we only just went to 7 games in the LCS last year, and went to the world series this year with those two great field no hit types.

stay off them drugs.

Quote:

Say what you will about hitting w/ RISP in the playoffs

ok i will.  that was what lost us the series.  no if's, and's, but's or dumbshit's about it.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2005, 12:56:08 am »

Quote:

Quote:

ok i will.  that was what lost us the series.  no if's, and's, but's or dumbshit's about it.

The paltry situational hitting was hardly a shock. The real reversal was the unusual Wheeler/Qualls loading the bases and giving up a granny, and Oswalt's five run inning. If those respective innings went the way they've gone most of the second half and playoffs, it would have been 2-2.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2005, 09:14:18 am »
Quote:

Quote:

But these days, it's tough supporting two great-field, no-hit guys like Ausmus and Everett in the lineup.

holy crap.  seriously we only just went to 7 games in the LCS last year, and went to the world series this year with those two great field no hit types.

stay off them drugs.

Quote:

Absolutely agree. Middle defense and handling pitchers are qualities not to be trifled with. I say we stand pat and develop that high class A OF for eventual ML play. Can't remember his name.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2005, 11:56:24 am »
Quote:

I think you're probably right, not only due to the Bagwell situation, but because Purp seems to strongly prefer sitting on his hands to trying to do something creative. But I think we're all worried about the lineup. There are big unknowns with everybody except Berkman and Ausmus. Let's face it, this would have been a dominant team in the 80's. But these days, it's tough supporting two great-field, no-hit guys like Ausmus and Everett in the lineup.

Then again, who knew that Ausmus was 3rd on the team in BB? Good for a .351 OBP, which makes guys like R. Hernandez (LT .743 OPS) and B. Molina (LT .706 OPS) un-enormous upgrades, despite their superior power (then again, a lot of those BB undoubtedly came from hitting 8th).

Maybe what really makes it tough to generate runs with this crew isn't the weakness of Ausmus and Everett per se, but the fact that overall the team was very poor at getting on base. Say what you will about hitting w/ RISP in the playoffs; to get there again, the Astros NEED to be much more selective at the plate. Aside from Berkman and Ensberg, they sucked at this.

If by sitting on his hands you mean Purpura didn't do anything stupid to create change rather than give his minor leaguers a shot given the dearth of options, then yeah, he sits on his hands alot.  I think the best example of what you are looking for in a GM is a guy who just got canned, DePodesta.  Sadly, the Dodgers had to lose a good manager before the owners saw the light.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2005, 12:19:32 pm »
Further more...

On Ausmus, while I believe they will bring him back (for whatever that's worth), he's going to be 37.  It's unlikely he'll be able to catch 80% of the games the way he did down the stretch this year.  For that reason, I think it would be a smart move to go after Ramon Hernandez, assuming he has not employed Boras as his agent.  Benjie Molina would also be a nice addition but I haven't seen much of him.  The only thing I know is Molina is a couple years older than Hernandez.  From what I saw of Hernandez, he's quiet behind the plate, frames well, and doesn't mind getting in front of pitches in the dirt (anyone else have an opinion on him, please share as I'm purely amatuer in my observations).  Seems like a good replacement for Ausmus, IMO.  That also assumes that there aren't a dozen other teams after either player.  But the net of it is that Hernandez is a good catcher who can also hit fairly well.  

It's a tough call on how the Astros upgrade the offense given the defensive assignments.  I'm not jumping on the dump Ausmus bandwagon  but at this stage, I think he's a better second/personal catcher for guys like Pettitte and Oswalt or Pettitte and Clemens, if Clemens returns.  If you get a guy like Hernandez, who will command a hefty salary, it alleviates some of the offensive needs while not depleting a critical defensive position.  

The big obstacles are whether Clemens returns and waiting out Bagwell's situation.  No one is going to make either retire.  It's arguable whether they will contribute as much as they have in the past but they will contribute.  Clemens for <30 starts is still better than Wandy or Zeke for > 30 starts.  

Bagwell's in a different situation with his shoulder.  I'm not the only one who questions whether he'll ever effectively play the field again.  He may opt for a PH role.  I'd be shocked but it's feasible.  If he does retire, I'd also be surprised if McLane doesn't buy him out instead of expecting him to waive $18mil in the final year of his contract.  That's insanity.  Hell, at this point, McLane owes so much money to Bagwell, he may as well offer him a share in the club as his buyout.  

Anyway, getting back to the point.   Clemens is likely to be the more productive player, of the two, next year if he chooses to return.  If he retires, I doubt Houston goes after a FA pitcher.  Given their history of staying with home grown pitching when an obvious choice isn't available, it's going to be Oswalt, Pettitte, Backe, Wandy, and Zeke.  I don't see that as a bad rotation, just not as good as this past seasons.  

The key to the pitching staff, IMO, is either keeping Springer or getting another quality arm in the bullpen.  A lefty wouldn't hurt but any RP who is effective against lefties is a plus.

On Dunn, it's an incredibly huge assumption that he's going to be available via trade.  If he is available in a trade, I can't imagine Cincy not wanting the sun and the moon for him.  

While I'm on the topic of pipe-dream trades, the Astros wouldn't be wasting time looking at Aubrey Huff.  Again, the D'Rays aren't going to part with him cheaply.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
Quote:

Seems like a good replacement for Ausmus, IMO.  That also assumes that there aren't a dozen other teams after either player.  But the net of it is that Hernandez is a good catcher who can also hit fairly well.  

Hernandez is an OK catcher, not a really good one.  He's not as good as Ausmus is right now, let alone as good as Ausmus was 5 years ago.  But he's better than Benjie Molina, whom I don't care for really at all.  Molina is basically Raul Chavez behind the plate.  I wouldn't have a real problem with Hernandez, but I'd prefer Ausmus.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2005, 12:31:23 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Seems like a good replacement for Ausmus, IMO.  That also assumes that there aren't a dozen other teams after either player.  But the net of it is that Hernandez is a good catcher who can also hit fairly well.  

Hernandez is an OK catcher, not a really good one.  He's not as good as Ausmus is right now, let alone as good as Ausmus was 5 years ago.  But he's better than Benjie Molina, whom I don't care for really at all.  Molina is basically Raul Chavez behind the plate.  I wouldn't have a real problem with Hernandez, but I'd prefer Ausmus.

Did everyone forget about Humberto?

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2005, 12:32:49 pm »
Quote:

If by sitting on his hands you mean Purpura didn't do anything stupid to create change rather than give his minor leaguers a shot given the dearth of options, then yeah, he sits on his hands alot.  I think the best example of what you are looking for in a GM is a guy who just got canned, DePodesta.  Sadly, the Dodgers had to lose a good manager before the owners saw the light.

Whoa, no don't misunderstand me; I'm glad as fuck that they didn't sign Burnitz or trade for somebody like Randy Winn (although he hit great for the Giants) or Matt Lawton. Last year there wasn't a whole lot out there, no denying that. As for DePo, I thought nearly all of his moves looked pretty terrible in foresight, especially the DL Drew signing.

But to me, Purp just doesn't give off the same vibe that Hunsicker did, that you're almost expecting something big (Drayton willing, obviously). And I would submit Theo Epstein as an example of where that approach worked very well.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2005, 12:34:23 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I haven't.  I'm betting on a Ausmus/FA (depending on where Ausmus goes)- Quintero catching situation next year.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2005, 12:41:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't have a real problem with Hernandez, but I'd prefer Ausmus.

I didn't see Quintero in action at all, but given how little they used him, I get the feeling he's not so much in their plans...

And given Ausmus' fondness for San Diego, I suppose it's possible the 'Stros and Pads could end up switching catchers, with Hernandez winding up here (I'm sure he'd prefer the park effects here)

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2005, 12:58:36 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't see Quintero in action at all, but given how little they used him, I get the feeling he's not so much in their plans...

And given Ausmus' fondness for San Diego, I suppose it's possible the 'Stros and Pads could end up switching catchers, with Hernandez winding up here (I'm sure he'd prefer the park effects here)

I think Ausmus will be back.  I also think Humberto will be tehre the whole year.  

I also think the Astros make a trade for a bat.  I don't see any FA worth going after.

Also, I think Roger retires.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2005, 01:16:31 pm »
A response for all you Dunn people:

Adam Dunn is a FA after next season, at that time the Astros will probably have Bagwell Retire (if he doesn't before then).  This will open an 1B/LF slot, and if there are no better options and Dunn is reasonable in his contract demands, I would not be surprised to see him in Houston for the 07 season.

But trading for him, Cinci has already shown they are asking for too much for him.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2005, 01:17:11 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ramon Hernandez is going to want a 4 year deal worth $7-$10 mill each year.

The Link
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2005, 01:24:26 pm »
Here are some guys who I 'd like understand their trade cost (in no particular order):

Ryan Howard
Conor Jackson
Lew Ford
David DeJesus
Jason Dubois
Jorge Piedra
Adrian Gonzalez
Andy Marte (move to LF or 1B)
Chad Tracy
Carlos Quentin
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2005, 01:27:25 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I haven't.  I'm betting on a Ausmus/FA (depending on where Ausmus goes)- Quintero catching situation next year.

If I understand, HQ was caught up in a bad timing situation with his injury. They had gone to him, but they didn't feel he had put in enough time before his injury to get comfortable with putting him on the post season roster over Chavez, who they had been working with for a while.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2005, 01:41:07 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If I understand, HQ was caught up in a bad timing situation with his injury. They had gone to him, but they didn't feel he had put in enough time before his injury to get comfortable with putting him on the post season roster over Chavez, who they had been working with for a while.

Right.  And I did get to see him at RR this year.  Great arm; aggressive at throwing behind the runner; decent offense.  His only ding is on framing pitches ... he's kind of "nervous" behind the plate (maybe because he's looking forward to picking off the runner?) which does not sit too well with some of the pitchers.
Up in the Air

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2005, 01:42:38 pm »
Right, it sure seemed like the Astros were basically done with Chavez when he was sent down to RR.  Then Humberto went on th DL and there was no choice but to bring Chavo back into to picture.  Ausmus is no question for next year and Clemens will be back because of it.
RO RASROS!

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2005, 01:48:47 pm »
Quote:

Adam Dunn is a FA after next season, at that time the Astros will probably have Bagwell Retire (if he doesn't before then).  This will open an 1B/LF slot, and if there are no better options and Dunn is reasonable in his contract demands, I would not be surprised to see him in Houston for the 07 season.

But trading for him, Cinci has already shown they are asking for too much for him.

Does anyone know roughly what they were asking? Seems like I heard something about Burke, Astacio, and Nieve or someone, but that seems absurd (for Cincy). The early perception was that, due to having Griffey (and Casey), plus cheaper options in Pena and Kearns, they were open to trading Dunn. But, like everyone else, they changed their minds. I'd love to see Dunn here; as you point out, 2007 might be very possible.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2005, 02:33:46 pm »
Quote:

I'm glad as fuck that they didn't sign Burnitz  

And why are you "glad as fuck" they didn't sign Burnitz?  In case you didn't notice, the Astros' offensive game wasn't exactly a force to be reckoned with in 2005.  As a matter of fact, you could probably make a case that the quilting convention that just left town has a stronger offense than the 2005 Houston Astros.  But hey, fuck Burnitz.
Lighten up, Francis.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2005, 02:51:46 pm »
Quote:

Does anyone know roughly what they were asking? Seems like I heard something about Burke, Astacio, and Nieve or someone, but that seems absurd (for Cincy)

I remember Backe being a big part of what Cincy wanted for Dunn.
RO RASROS!

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2005, 02:52:24 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone know roughly what they were asking? Seems like I heard something about Burke, Astacio, and Nieve or someone, but that seems absurd (for Cincy). The early perception was that, due to having Griffey (and Casey), plus cheaper options in Pena and Kearns, they were open to trading Dunn. But, like everyone else, they changed their minds. I'd love to see Dunn here; as you point out, 2007 might be very possible.

"The Dunn rumor has the Astros giving up top pitching prospects Ezequiel Astacio, Taylor Buchholz and ... Fernando Nieve"

The Link,1641,CCCT_18817_3912332,00.html
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2005, 02:54:04 pm »
they wanted much more than prospects.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2005, 03:01:11 pm »
Quote:

they wanted much more than prospects.

I seem to remember that too, but I can't find an article to support it.

Edit: I am seeing some stuff that suggests Backe, Lane and two prospects for Dunn.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2005, 03:13:23 pm »
Quote:

And why are you "glad as fuck" they didn't sign Burnitz?  In case you didn't notice, the Astros' offensive game wasn't exactly a force to be reckoned with in 2005.  As a matter of fact, you could probably make a case that the quilting convention that just left town has a stronger offense than the 2005 Houston Astros.  But hey, fuck Burnitz.

Granted, he came up with some big hits against us late in the year, but, well, come on, he's Jeromy Burnitz. Did anyone really want that clown to get $6-8 mil to stumble around Tal's Hill, and put Taveras or Lane in smaller roles? Instead, I got to harass my Cub-loving friend all year about how much Burnitz sucks. It was great.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2005, 03:27:08 pm »
Quote:

Granted, he came up with some big hits against us late in the year, but, well, come on, he's Jeromy Burnitz. Did anyone really want that clown to get $6-8 mil to stumble around Tal's Hill, and put Taveras or Lane in smaller roles? Instead, I got to harass my Cub-loving friend all year about how much Burnitz sucks. It was great.

Shouldn't you be on a Red Sox board?

1. He was paid $4.5M in 2005.
2. He wouldn't have been stumbling around Tal's Hill.
3. Burnitz wouldn't have affected Taveras or Lane.
4. 24HR and 87RBI.  Yeah, he sucks.
Lighten up, Francis.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2005, 03:43:15 pm »
of course he would have cost Lane or Taveras playing time at the time they were negotiating with him.

Bagwell was playing 1B
Berkman would be back around opening day to play LF
Lane was in RF

they were talking about having Burnitz play CF. that is comical, and Taveras would have been in RR.

you are in such a rush to be negative that you revise history to make your current whining appear logical.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2005, 03:49:43 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

2. He wouldn't have been stumbling around Tal's Hill.
3. Burnitz wouldn't have affected Taveras or Lane.

When Burnitz was discussed last year, Burnitz said he could play centerfield, and the wonderment of it all was that was the discussion of where he would play.  Had Burnitz been signed, the year would have presumably started with Burnitz in center and Hobbs in left.

Burnitz had a bit of power, but he hit only .258 for the season.  That's the same average as Ausmus.  His OBP was less (Ausmus .351, Burnitz .322).  His Slg. at .435 wasn't enough to make up for those sorts of numbers, at least in my mind.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of Hobbs
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2005, 03:57:32 pm »
Seems he tore it up in AAA last year after being demoted (can't seem to find any numbers quickly).  Any opinions on what he has to do to make the big club next year and stick?  Couldn't he be the OF the Astros are looking for should Fat Elvis move to first?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2005, 03:59:23 pm »
i think Scott will stick and contribute in 2006.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2005, 04:03:29 pm »
Quote:

you are in such a rush to be negative that you revise history to make your current whining appear logical.

And as usual, you are too busy backslapping to see things clearly.
Lighten up, Francis.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2005, 04:05:48 pm »
Quote:

Who do you think will leave to make way?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2005, 04:10:22 pm »
dunno. OP, maybe, but i like him as a bench player.

i think Burke will be traded. he proved he can play, but he does not have a position in Houston in 2006.

Andyzipp

« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2005, 04:15:22 pm »
Or 2007, unless Biggio gets 215 hits next season.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2005, 04:17:13 pm »
I'd like to see Purpura use Burke to plunder some minor leage talent.  I think OP stays around for another year but I'm not so sure about Viz.  I'd sure love to have both of them on the bench along with Lamb for next year though. Swap Burke for Scott, sounds good to me.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2005, 04:18:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Who do you think will leave to make way?

I feel he will take Viz's spot.  While they don't play the same position, we can use Bruntlett or Burke as Middle infield bench spots.  

And IF Bagwell cannot play next season, you will see some rotaion of Lamb/Burke/Scott in LF/1B with Berkman bouncing again, just like this year.  But with Scott on the team, then you don't lose the situational power bat off the bench, with Lamb in the line-up.

If we lose OP, then we are looking for another bat as well, but I detailed my thoughts very early in this thread and will not rehash them totally here.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2005, 04:19:00 pm »
Somehow I don't see Burke being traded, in spite of his value. I believe that 2006 is Biggio's last year as a full time player. He may play beyond that as a bench player to round out his stats (long enough for 3000 hits, at least). The point being: I see Burke as the starting 2nd baseman in 2007, and for a long time after.
He breezed him, one more time!

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2005, 04:21:45 pm »
Quote:

Or 2007, unless Biggio gets 215 hits next season.

I would love to be proved otherwise (because he proves to be too valuable otherwise), but I think 2006 will be Biggio's last season as a full-time starter.  Which means he will get (my guess) around 170-200 hits in 2006 and then will have to get the rest as a bench player in 07.  IF Burke is traded, I could see Biggio being the starter through 2007, as his most likely in-house replacements are probably 2 years away (see Zobrist, Ben).

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2005, 04:22:10 pm »
they will not keep Burke on the bench for another year, and he is not the answer in LF.

Brooks Conrad can play.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2005, 04:33:23 pm »
Quote:

Brooks Conrad can play.

That's a good baseball name, too.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2005, 04:33:32 pm »
Quote:

Brooks Conrad can play.

In '07? Or do you think he'll be ready in '08?

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2005, 04:35:44 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Brooks Conrad can play.

That's a good baseball name, too.

That's a great tag line too.

"Brooks Conrad can (insert adverb) play"

lc_db

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • I_dont_need_no_stinkin_homepage.com
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2005, 04:36:37 pm »
My gut feeling is that Viz doesn't come back, maybe even retires.  

Didn't the team have to talk him back to returning after his son was injured?

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2005, 04:38:31 pm »
Quote:

Adam Dunn is a FA after next season, at that time the Astros will probably have Bagwell Retire (if he doesn't before then).

How would the Astros have Bagwell retire?  It's not their decision, is it?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2005, 04:43:20 pm »
Quote:

They could DFA him.  That would be nice, wouldn't it.  Of course, they'd still have to pay him; so that's like having your cake and giving it to someone else who then throws it down the crapper.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2005, 04:45:04 pm »
Quote:

Somehow I don't see Burke being traded, in spite of his value. I believe that 2006 is Biggio's last year as a full time player. He may play beyond that as a bench player to round out his stats (long enough for 3000 hits, at least). The point being: I see Burke as the starting 2nd baseman in 2007, and for a long time after.

Be careful in assuming things too far down the road.  Remember most people assumed Buck was untouchable because he was our "Catcher of the Future".  Burke's likelyhood of being an everyday 2B for the Astros I put at 50-50 at this point (which is better than it was before the post-season).

I have heard too many rumblings about mixed-opinions of him in the Front office also the fact that he will be a little old by the time Biggio is not starting daily and his trade value might be at its peak, I think he might be packaged for someone, but the question always comes back to, "For what?".

There just isn't a regular roster spot for anyone on this team right now, so the best thing would be to package him for some prospect who will be ready to contribute/dominate in 07 or so. OR he is a trade prospect to fill in the void should Bagwell not be physically able to play the field next year.

In the end, I doubt much FA movement by this team or trading (until Bagwell's situation is cleared up).

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2005, 04:50:04 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Adam Dunn is a FA after next season, at that time the Astros will probably have Bagwell Retire (if he doesn't before then).

Ok, bad verbage by me.  The idea being the Bagwell will retire by then.  He has stated before that when this contract runs out he will retire.  I am assuming (big guess by me) that next year is his last year, as I see the Astros using the buy-out clause for 07.  I could be wrong and Bagwell could club out a .305/.430/.650 season next year, but I doubt it, even if he is healthy enough to play the field.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2005, 04:54:10 pm »
Quote:

I could be wrong and Bagwell could club out a .305/.430/.650 season next year, but I doubt it, even if he is healthy enough to play the field.

Pedantic question here, those three numbers, are they Average/OBP/Slugging?  I've never paid enough attention to them, forgive the question.

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2005, 05:05:57 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

See what clearly?  

Does anyone actually think that 24 HR's and 87 RBI's is an answer the Astros problems?  Honestly?

you also, should stay off them drugs.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2005, 05:15:48 pm »
Jim.  How many times did the Fox announcers quote Garner saying that Burke was the best left-fielder in the National League?  That was pretty funny.  I agree that Burke has no spot on the Astros next season.  And his trade value is probably as high as it's going to get.  So I think that chances are better than 50% that Burke is traded.

I'd still like to see what it would take to get Overbay.
Boom!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2005, 05:30:56 pm »
Ashby quoted Garner many times to that effect. i think he'll do fine for someone at 2B.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2005, 05:54:58 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks HH.  Sadly, when there are 2 catchers mentioned together, Matheny and Ausmus, as the best catchers out there and no other name ever really enters the same discussion, I have to conclude the next generation of players at the catcher position aren't focusing on the fundamentals exemplified by Ausmus and Matheny.  It's too bad.  While never an offensive threat, watching Ausmus behind the plate is enjoyable in and of itself.  And I don't mean from behind (that was directed at the self proclaimed #1 Ausmus fan!).

-Mark Twain

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2005, 06:21:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

They could reach a buyout - and it wouldn't surprise me.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2005, 06:22:54 pm »
me either. i think he is done.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2005, 06:43:34 pm »
Quote:

Thanks HH.  Sadly, when there are 2 catchers mentioned together, Matheny and Ausmus, as the best catchers out there and no other name ever really enters the same discussion, I have to conclude the next generation of players at the catcher position aren't focusing on the fundamentals exemplified by Ausmus and Matheny.  It's too bad.  While never an offensive threat, watching Ausmus behind the plate is enjoyable in and of itself.  And I don't mean from behind (that was directed at the self proclaimed #1 Ausmus fan!).

The 3rds are really high on Molina, apparently, but from what I've seen he has alligator arms (as well as way too much eye liner).  There are very few top notch catchers out there.

One subjective judgement on Ausmus' ability is that his presence on the team was a pre-requisite to Clemens playing in 2005.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2005, 06:57:43 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

See what clearly?

Things. Pay attention, dammit.
Say hi on the Twitter

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2005, 07:06:51 pm »
you must see clearly that Burnitz was The Answer, The Key to the Series and would have played CF like Mays.

piss and moan dobro=a poor man's HD

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2005, 10:52:21 pm »
Quote:

you must see clearly that Burnitz was The Answer, The Key to the Series and would have played CF like Mays.

Exactly; they obviously needed someone who ended up with a lower OPS (.757) than Ryan Klesko, Matt Lawton, and David Eckstein, among many others (including Lane).

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2005, 10:56:45 pm »

Quote:

he has alligator arms  

Haywood Jeffries had the same exact ailment.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2005, 11:03:17 pm »
Quote:

Ausmus and Matheny are cut from the same cloth, and Matheny is the top of the heep.  There aren't a lot of complete package catchers like those two around these days, but it's not like there used to be a ton of them either.  They've always been rare.   There are guys out there with great arms, but being a good catcher is more than that.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2005, 11:04:18 pm »
Quote:

Here are some guys who I 'd like understand their trade cost (in no particular order):

Ryan Howard
Conor Jackson
Lew Ford
David DeJesus
Jason Dubois
Jorge Piedra
Adrian Gonzalez
Chad Tracy
Carlos Quentin

Tracy is interesting because the D-Backs re-signed Tony Clark; plus they've got Conor Jackson (who is either a 1B or corner OF, right?), with Shawn Green and Gonzo as corner OFs. Clark and Tracy both had great years; Tracy made the minimum as a 2nd year player, manning first and right. He also bats L. The D-backs are surely looking for cheap pitching.

All pretty pointless speculation, of course, assuming Bagwell remains- though I wonder if they'd trade him to an AL team if he can't field? (bad salaries would obviously have to be exchanged)

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2005, 11:13:48 am »
I was talking with my daughters the other night about Ausmus and what he means to the Astros and to the pitching staff when they asked who was the best catcher of all time.  I have always thought of Bench as the gold standard, having seen him play many, many times at the dome and on tv. Any thoughts on Bench compared to catchers of the last twenty or so years, or to Berra, Campanella, Lopez and others?
Purity of Essence

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2005, 11:50:15 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Ryan Howard
Conor Jackson
Lew Ford
David DeJesus
Jason Dubois
Jorge Piedra
Adrian Gonzalez
Chad Tracy
Carlos Quentin

Tracy is interesting because the D-Backs re-signed Tony Clark; plus they've got Conor Jackson (who is either a 1B or corner OF, right?), with Shawn Green and Gonzo as corner OFs. Clark and Tracy both had great years; Tracy made the minimum as a 2nd year player, manning first and right. He also bats L. The D-backs are surely looking for cheap pitching.

All pretty pointless speculation, of course, assuming Bagwell remains- though I wonder if they'd trade him to an AL team if he can't field? (bad salaries would obviously have to be exchanged)

hahaha, if only we had the hun.  we could ship him back to beantown + burke + astacio for Manny and a reliever.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2005, 12:17:38 pm »
Quote:

I was talking with my daughters the other night about Ausmus and what he means to the Astros and to the pitching staff when they asked who was the best catcher of all time.  I have always thought of Bench as the gold standard, having seen him play many, many times at the dome and on tv. Any thoughts on Bench compared to catchers of the last twenty or so years, or to Berra, Campanella, Lopez and others?

I saw Bench play, and as far as I'm concerned, he's the standard.  I never saw Berra or Campanella or Lopez, of course, but even old timers I've talked to say Bench is the best of all time.  Plus, he was my favorite player when I was a kid.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2005, 02:55:01 pm »
Quote:

I saw Bench play, and as far as I'm concerned, he's the standard. ... Plus, he was my favorite player when I was a kid.

Mine too.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2005, 03:25:43 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I saw Bench play, and as far as I'm concerned, he's the standard. ... Plus, he was my favorite player when I was a kid.

Mine too.

I have cousins in Lawton who played against Bench in high school.  Apparently, he pitched and did not play catcher until late in his high school career, at the urging of his dad.  They indicated that Bench did not hit homers against them, but rather frozen ropes off the outfield wall that made them realize they were playing against a whole different kind of animal.
Purity of Essence