Author Topic: Garner to Burke?  (Read 1997 times)

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Garner to Burke?
« on: October 26, 2005, 12:30:46 pm »
Anyone hear of what Garner said when he ran out to Burke at first base in the 9th?  NEVER seen that move before.  I was watching the post-game press conference on ESPN and waiting for a reporter to ask, but no one did.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: Garner to Burke?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 12:32:33 pm »
Quote:

Anyone hear of what Garner said when he ran out to Burke at first base in the 9th?  NEVER seen that move before.  I was watching the post-game press conference on ESPN and waiting for a reporter to ask, but no one did.

I think they were having trouble relaying the play, so he made sure it got there in person.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 12:33:55 pm »
You mean you think there was a missed sign earlier?
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 12:33:56 pm »
Quote:

"I want you on third in two pitches."

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:35:20 pm »
"Check out the hottie in the third row behind the Sox dugout."

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 12:35:25 pm »
Quote:

"I want you on third in two pitches."

It's a shame his baserunning was wasted.  That was good stuff.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 12:37:15 pm »
Bruntlett-esque.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 12:38:28 pm »
Quote:

You mean you think there was a missed sign earlier?

Nope, but in such an important situation ("must win" apparently) Gar may not have trusted Burke to pick up the signs.  Just my guess.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

pravata

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 12:41:49 pm »
"Run, boy, ruuuuuun!"

cc

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 12:42:30 pm »
I think I saw him mouth "Ok, I want you to come close to getting picked off, then, when you get to second somehow, I want you to steal third.  Got it, kid?"

After he did that, I thought the game was over.  And how perfectly easy it would have been for a high schooler to squeeze him home on those floaters El Duque threw at the end of the Taveras at-bat right across the plate?  But who knew his control was going to return so suddenly after throwing the ball all over the place that inning?  A popup double play or a complete miss was more than a remote possibility up until then.  But I still would have liked to attempt the squeeze, just as I would have liked to see Burke squeeze Taveras home in Game 1.  But I'm a squeeze kind of guy.
"I'm against the knee-jerk dismissal of knee-jerk reactions."

JackAstro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 12:45:27 pm »
Quote:

But I'm a squeeze kind of guy.

NTTAWWT
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 12:48:27 pm »
"I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to Geicko."
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 02:01:48 pm »
Quote:

Anyone hear of what Garner said when he ran out to Burke at first base in the 9th?  NEVER seen that move before.  

I can't recall seeing that either.

Andyzipp

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 02:32:23 pm »
I hate to give McCarver credit for anything, but I think he was right.

He was trying to highlight the fact that Burke sil be running.  He wanted The Dookie to be concentrating on Burke instead of the batter.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 02:51:11 pm »
He also demonstrated El Dookie's ridiculously high leg kick from the dugout once Burke was on second.  I think he told him to go if he saw the high kick.  

Or he may have said "If we give up a solo shot and walk in a run with two outs in the 14th I'm going to throw my stool."

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 02:53:50 pm »
Quote:

"If we give up a solo shot and walk in a run with two outs in the 14th I'm going to throw my stool."

Now there's a quote that works on more than one level.

pravata

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 02:55:00 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

"If we give up a solo shot and walk in a run with two outs in the 14th I'm going to throw my stool."

Now there's a quote that works on more than one level.

Milo, on the radio this morning, says, "this game was a stool".