Author Topic: some analysis and my prediction  (Read 6872 times)

Houston

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
some analysis and my prediction
« on: October 22, 2005, 08:38:21 am »
Other than Paul Konerko's 81, no other player on that roster walked more than 47 times. If you're not walking against Houston, you're probably not going to hit enough to score.

Expect Carl Everett to do something to intimidate Houston's pitchers. Expect Clemens or Oswalt to knock him on his butt, too. Won't it be ironic to see Carl Everett and Adam Everett in this Series, since they were traded for each other?

Even without the benefit of the DH rule, Houston had exactly the same OBP at Chicago (.322).

The Astros do have a little more power than those outside Houston may admit or realize. The team has 5 guys with 27 or more doubles; 4 with 24 or more HRs.

Chicago had 137 SBs, but Scott Podsednik had 59 of those. Houston had 115 with Taveras' 34 leading the way.

Houston has only allowed 53 SBs all year with 31 CS. Chicago allowed 103 steals and only caught 25. If Houston can get Taveras or Burke on base, expect them to run until they are stopped.

Despite all of the talk about Brad Lidge, Chicago's bullpen is rustier than that '53 Chevy pickup behind the barn. Even if Lidge has some trouble, Houston still has Chad Qualls and Dan Wheeler to pitch late in games. Chicago's whole bullpen could stink. (Of course, if Lidge stinks, Houston won't win this Series anyway.)

So, here's my prediction: It'll come down to speed on the bases and forcing the White Sox hitters to hit their way on, which they won't be able to do enough of (see: St. Louis).

Houston in 6!
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

milkduds

• Clark
    • View Profile
Re: some analysis and my prediction
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 01:22:54 pm »
Good analysis, but I think you will probably see Clemens have some pitching problems. This first game will be won on pitching, and it won't go for the Astros. However, I think that even with today's likely loss, they still have an excellent chance of winning the series...

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 01:45:57 pm »
Please explain what Everett will do to "intimidate" Houston's pitchers?  Will he scowl menacingly at them or proclaim loudly that dinosaurs did not exist?
Purity of Essence

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 01:51:01 pm »
Quote:

Good analysis, but I think you will probably see Clemens have some pitching problems. This first game will be won on pitching, and it won't go for the Astros. However, I think that even with today's likely loss, they still have an excellent chance of winning the series...

Quit with the ankle biting.  Quit with the posing as an Astros fan.  If you are Sox fan or pouting redbird fan, just be upfront about it.
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

milkduds

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 02:25:10 pm »
Geez... folks here don't seem to be too tolerent of criticism here, even if it's constructive... I made my predictions, we will have to see if it plays out... Clemens is no longer in his prime... He is a true baseball "star" and has done a lot to help give the team a sense of being legit, but he isn't nearly as good "today" as used to be nor as good (in my opinion) as todays Sox pitcher... Do you really have to bury your head in the sand in order to be considered a "fan" here???

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 02:33:07 pm »
go fuck yourself.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 02:35:58 pm »
Quote:

Geez... folks here don't seem to be too tolerent of criticism here, even if it's constructive... I made my predictions, we will have to see if it plays out... Clemens is no longer in his prime... He is a true baseball "star" and has done a lot to help give the team a sense of being legit, but he isn't nearly as good "today" as used to be nor as good (in my opinion) as todays Sox pitcher... Do you really have to bury your head in the sand in order to be considered a "fan" here???

If you are going to offer predictions, especially those that go against the good guys, you need to provide some basis for the argument.  So you think Clemens will lose?  Ok.. tell us why.  Stats, injury reports, inside information, whatever.  Don't just throw it on the wall and expect it to stick.  We are Astros fans here.  We are biased.  We are irrational.  We can listen to intelligent arguments, but so far you have not made any.
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 02:41:30 pm »
Quote:

He is a true baseball "star" and has done a lot to help give the team a sense of being legit, but he isn't nearly as good "today" as used to be

You're right.  He's not as good as he used to be.

He's better!

Best season ERA of his career.  Period.  You have every right to make a prediction based on a "gut feeling", but don't ignore the stats about which pitcher has been better over the season.

Clemens 13-8, 1.83 (team shutout 9 times while he was on the hill).  Contreras 15-7, 3.61.

Who would you rather have on the hill?  Please show your work.
60% of the time... it works everytime.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 02:43:43 pm »
Quote:

Please explain what Everett will do to "intimidate" Houston's pitchers?  Will he scowl menacingly at them or proclaim loudly that dinosaurs did not exist?

Well, if you've seen him enough, he could do any number of things. He could stand with his front foot touching the plate to see if the pitcher will dare throw inside. He could yell at the pitcher when/if the pitcher does. He could do something before the game.

I don't know what he might do, but Everett's persona is intimidation, if you let him get to you.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

milkduds

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 02:43:47 pm »
well for starters, Clemens is an old man... that's not to knock him, he has done great in his career, but let's admit it, he came to Houston to retire, not to make a career move... This is where he lives and he got tired of watching the Astros lose, so he decided he could help the boys out by giving them a little class, and pick up some cool cash at the same time... a win-win situtation so to spead...If you want stats, just compare the ERA's between todays two starting pitchers... That isn't what I am basing my analysis on, but if you need a crutch, there's one for you...

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 02:46:31 pm »
Quote:

If you want stats, just compare the ERA's between todays two starting pitchers... That isn't what I am basing my analysis on, but if you need a crutch, there's one for you...

Dude... I just did this and your chosen horse comes up short in this race.  Clemens has an ERA that is just over  half of Contreras'.

Post less.  Read more.
60% of the time... it works everytime.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 02:51:27 pm »
Quote:

well for starters, Clemens is an old man... that's not to knock him, he has done great in his career, but let's admit it, he came to Houston to retire, not to make a career move... This is where he lives and he got tired of watching the Astros lose, so he decided he could help the boys out by giving them a little class, and pick up some cool cash at the same time... a win-win situtation so to spead...If you want stats, just compare the ERA's between todays two starting pitchers... That isn't what I am basing my analysis on, but if you need a crutch, there's one for you...

Well, so I'm just appalled by your ignorance.

Compare the ERA?

Contreras ERA: 3.61 (.232 BAA)

Clemens ERA: 1.87 (.182 BAA)

Not that you probably even know what ERA actually means, but from that you should be able to decipher Clemen's ERA < Contreras ERA  (and that means clemens gives up on average fewer earned runs per 9 innings..meaning he gives has consistently given his team a better chance to win this year than contreras has)

milkduds

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 02:55:48 pm »
4.45 vs 4.14 for 1gERA... You will find this is the stat that will count in todays game... But again, I don't base my analysis on stats... Clemens is old, and he will feel it today, especially since he is facing the American League Champions... I am hoping the Astros win, so I want to be wrong, but I doubt I will... We shall see...

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 02:59:22 pm »
and the American League Champions are facing the National League Champions today...it is the WORLD SERIES....what is your fucking point?  actually I dont even care.  I actually hope I never see you post again.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 03:05:13 pm »
Man, you really are a little cocksucker. You decide to bring your 'constructive' criticism in here just as the Astros are about to play their first ever World Series. If everybody weren't so damned elated, you'd have been run by now. There's alot invested in this site and fucks like you that shit all over it should be banned if not taken out and pounded into hamburger meat.

Go the fuck away.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

milkduds

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 03:06:29 pm »
My point is that the advantage in pitching goes to the Sox because Clemens is an old man... He was born in 62 for Christ's sake... He didn't come to Houston to play in the World Series, he came to retire... But now he is finding himself in that exact situation, and he is going to get tired... I am not trying to offend anyone, it's just someone asked me what I was basing my analysis on today's game on, and so I explained. I still think the Astros have a chance at winning the Series, but I don't think their chance of winning today's game is that good, unless of course, they decide to not try and work Clemens too hard and aren't afraid to pull him early before any significant damage is done (in the scoring dept.)

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 03:08:39 pm »
Quote:

and the American League Champions are facing the National League Champions today...it is the WORLD SERIES....what is your fucking point?  actually I dont even care.  I actually hope I never see you post again.

The point is that one of the teams playing tonight will win. It's either going to be one team or the other. You see, there has to be a winner, because this is the postseason. It's the same reason they made the Astros and Braves play two games on the same day, when they couldn't settle the first one. If you knew anything about baseball, you would know one of the teams in a postseason game has to win the game. Even if they tie the first game tonight, they'll make the two teams play again right after, to decide who won the first game. That's why he thinks the White Sox will win, but he didn't even state how many games they'll have to play tonight for the White Sox to win the first one.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 03:10:09 pm »
Quote:

it's just someone asked me what I was basing my analysis on today's game on, and so I explained.

I like the use of the word "analysis." You should work for Fox.

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 03:10:48 pm »
Why would Clemens come to Houston to retire? He had already done that in NY.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 03:10:56 pm »
My last thing to say to you..ever.

If you knew anything about clemens, you would be aware of the fact that to compete at the level that he has all season (1.87 ERA!  much much lower than contreras, an absurdly low era) you need more than physical gifts (which he has).  You need to have the focus, concentration, and drive that give you a huge pair of iron balls.  Clemens is one of sports all time great competitors.  He will come to play.

Rod

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2005, 03:13:05 pm »
It isn't like the man has aged 10 years since his last start.

And saying he didn't come to Houston to win is just plain stupid.  If you haven't notice the guy loves to compete.  

While with the Astros all he has done is go 31-12 with an ERA well under 3....and during that time he was been what you would consider "old"

We get it now.  You are a White Sox fan.
Excuse me...Excuse my language.

milkduds

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2005, 03:14:03 pm »
I agree Clemens will come to play, and will play to the best of his ability... I also agree Clemens is a class act and a great player (especially in his prime)... I just hope management has the balls they are going to need when the time comes to pull him...

the KEG

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2005, 03:16:09 pm »
Quote:

It isn't like the man has aged 10 years since his last start.

And saying he didn't come to Houston to win is just plain stupid.  If you haven't notice the guy loves to compete.  

While with the Astros all he has done is go 31-12 with an ERA well under 3....and during that time he was been what you would consider "old"

We get it now.  You are a White Sox fan.

Exactly, those stats really point to the guy just coming here to retire and mail it in.

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2005, 03:55:20 pm »
Quote:

My point is that the advantage in pitching goes to the Sox because Clemens is an old man... He was born in 62 for Christ's sake... He didn't come to Houston to play in the World Series, he came to retire...  

Oh my God, your amazing mind! That is the most insightful, well thought out argument I've seen posted here. Are you published?

Shit, and I thought I've made some stupid posts...

Seriously, he came to Houston to retire and just some how stumbled upon a 7th cy young?

I think Jack McDowell said it best... The Link

Matt

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2005, 03:58:24 pm »
Did anyone notice milkdud's comment about Clemens coming to Houston to bring some class to this team?  What the fuck?  So this team has been an unruly bunch of egotistical barbarians for most of it's existance?  Fuck you pal.  That proves you know dick about how Astros baseball is played.

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2005, 04:27:56 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Well, if you've seen him enough, he could do any number of things. He could stand with his front foot touching the plate to see if the pitcher will dare throw inside. He could yell at the pitcher when/if the pitcher does. He could do something before the game.

I don't know what he might do, but Everett's persona is intimidation, if you let him get to you.

Out of this list, pick one that you think will actually pay attention to any of those types of antics.

Clemens.
Oswalt.
Pettite.
Backe.
Qualls.
Wheeler.
Lidge..

My answer?  0.

See if they dare pitch inside?  Have you never watched Clemens or Roy pitch ever?  They own the inside of the plate, and every batter knows it.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2005, 06:33:03 pm »
Quote:

Good analysis, but I think you will probably see Clemens have some pitching problems...

I think you will probably have some problems with being a dumbass.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2005, 06:37:12 pm »

Quote:

4.45 vs 4.14 for 1gERA...  

Can somebody please explain to me what the hell this means?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2005, 06:39:23 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

It means if you do enough yoga, and eat enough queso, there's no telling what you can pull out of your ass.

Desperado

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2005, 06:54:55 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I'll assume he meant "lgERA" [with an L, not a 1] which, defined by baseball-reference.com, is:

"lgERA - Earned Run Average for a league average pitcher in that ballpark or combination of ballparks."

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2005, 07:02:36 pm »
I think he makes an excellent point.  Clemens is old, so we will lose.  We will lose again tomorrow because their pitcher is left-handed.  We will lose Tuesday's game because it is Oswalt, and it's Oswalt's turn to lose.  Lidge has blown a save, so he'll work in there two.

We're going to lose, all because of 1-something-era.  Excellent, excellent set of posts, whatever that may be.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2005, 07:15:34 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Out of this list, pick one that you think will actually pay attention to any of those types of antics.

Clemens.
Oswalt.
Pettite.
Backe.
Qualls.
Wheeler.
Lidge..

My answer?  0.

See if they dare pitch inside?  Have you never watched Clemens or Roy pitch ever?  They own the inside of the plate, and every batter knows it.

You missed the point ENTIRELY. Here's what I said originally:

"Expect Carl Everett to do something to intimidate Houston's pitchers. Expect Clemens or Oswalt to knock him on his butt, too."

I stand by that. We'll see what happens.

ian

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
    • unionstudios.net/cardinals
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2005, 07:35:39 pm »
Quote:

I agree Clemens will come to play, and will play to the best of his ability... I also agree Clemens is a class act and a great player (especially in his prime)... I just hope management has the balls they are going to need when the time comes to pull him...

are you retarded? garner and hickey have not kept clemens too late for one single game all year. you'd know that if you'd watched the astros all year, instead of subconcsiouly trying to find a way to predict a white sox win. youre as biased as a Fox announcer, who will pull up any subtleties and inconsistancies to back a biased opinion. just shut the fuck up already, no one wants to hear your unenlightened bullshit.

but i do agree, lets just look at the ERAs to see who has the edge.
The Cardinals Suck Co-Podcast: http://unionstudios.net/cardinals

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2005, 07:48:30 pm »
Quote:

You missed the point ENTIRELY. Here's what I said originally:

"Expect Carl Everett to do something to intimidate Houston's pitchers. Expect Clemens or Oswalt to knock him on his butt, too."

I stand by that. We'll see what happens.

It's hard to get or miss a point, when there is no point to begin with.  

Carl Everett may or may not try something that will affect no member of the Houston pitching staff.  So no matter what he does, they'll do what they've always done.

And then you say you stand by that statement.  That's real ummmm....brave, prophetic, visionary, I'm not entirely sure what it is.

But whatever it is, a Point, is the very least of what it is.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

Bitter Bob

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2005, 02:07:04 am »
Quote:

Man, you really are a little cocksucker. You decide to bring your 'constructive' criticism in here just as the Astros are about to play their first ever World Series. If everybody weren't so damned elated, you'd have been run by now. There's alot invested in this site and fucks like you that shit all over it should be banned if not taken out and pounded into hamburger meat.

Go the fuck away.

Wow, you sure are tough.  I'm scared