Author Topic: Edmonds speaks about the Astros  (Read 3432 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Edmonds speaks about the Astros
« on: October 21, 2005, 06:06:37 pm »
"I don't think you'll find a classier group of people than you do on that team, and that's hard to say around the league," Edmonds said. "That's my honest opinion. I think they treated us with class at their stadium, they introduced us classy. I've never seen a group of people in the game more classy than the way they handled everything for us.

"Besides a little premature celebration the other night [during Game 5], I think it was a great series to watch and we had a lot of fun. They're a great team to play against, and hopefully they'll play well in the World Series."

The Link
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Edmonds speaks about the Astros
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 06:12:29 pm »
Quote:

"I don't think you'll find a classier group of people than you do on that team, and that's hard to say around the league," Edmonds said. "That's my honest opinion. I think they treated us with class at their stadium, they introduced us classy. I've never seen a group of people in the game more classy than the way they handled everything for us.

"Besides a little premature celebration the other night [during Game 5], I think it was a great series to watch and we had a lot of fun. They're a great team to play against, and hopefully they'll play well in the World Series."

Hmmmm, guy just earned some points in my book.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 06:12:36 pm »
Class. Act.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

astro pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 06:12:59 pm »
"Craig: Congratulations.  - Tony LaRussa"

We may have to change our perceptions of them.

LonghornCDR

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 06:13:28 pm »
Dang it.  I never liked Los Angeles Jimmy of Anaheim, and then he goes and says something like this.
60% of the time... it works everytime.

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 06:20:26 pm »
My dislike for the Cardinals and all their players is 100% because they are so damn good.

As humans, I have no evidence that any of them are bad people...only quotes like these that show quite the contrary.
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 06:20:32 pm »
i am reading 3 Nights in August, which i think is good. apparently, LaRussa picked Kile's brain a lot about what it was like playing for the Astros. Tony admires the way the Astros play and admires the Biggio/Bagwell clubhouse and way of doing business.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 06:27:22 pm »
I've been listening too much to XM Radio, and they've been going on and on and on about the wild card and how it's a terrible institution and how the wild card team should face a much harder row to hoe (or ho to roe--I forget).  Anyway, it seems to me that one of the good things the wild card does is it lets teams like the Astros and Cardinals create a real rivalry.  We could have played in the regular season for 40 years and never created the kind of competition with the Cardinals that we've created over the last two post-seasons.

That was classy. I hope the Cardinals and Astros are at it again next year.  I hope the Astros win.  If they don't, I'm rooting for the Cardinals. Good fans, good team.

Course if we'd lost, I'd probably be praising the Pale Ho's.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 06:32:25 pm »
this rivalry was created during the regular season, and it has been one of respect for several years.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 06:36:04 pm »
Let me re-phrase, then. The wild card has intensified an already excellent rivalry.

I liked Three Nights in August.  Tony LaRussa is one intense guy, and I think that comes out and is appreciated without romanticizing him.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 06:36:34 pm »
At Game 3, when they were announcing the players, LaRussa clapped and saluted when Bagwell was called.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 06:40:30 pm »
intense? wow, i'll say. how about his family life?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 06:45:13 pm »
Quote:

intense? wow, i'll say. how about his family life?

Family life?

I've know people, doctors and lawyers and such, who were as obsessed as LaRussa, and I've never understood it.  It's like some switch that us normal (ok, more or less normal) people have isn't there for guys like LaRussa. I need a family, I need a job, I need to post junk about baseball and pet my dog and read a book.  LaRussa needs baseball.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 07:01:34 pm »
Nobody on the Cardinals cried or tried to cast blame over losing, except Ray King who was pissed at LaRussa for not using him.  From what I have seen, to a man they have all given credit to Houston.  They were frustrated as hell during the series by the Astros, having been used to dominating everyone they've faced, but when it was over they took it like men.  It goes to show that it's easy and sometimes fun to caricature the opposition, but most often they're pretty good guys, too.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 07:03:07 pm »
Sanders was especially classy. so was LaRussa.

Bill McLuggage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 07:05:18 pm »
Quote:

Nobody on the Cardinals cried or tried to cast blame over losing, except Ray King who was pissed at LaRussa for not using him.  From what I have seen, to a man they have all given credit to Houston.  They were frustrated as hell during the series by the Astros, having been used to dominating everyone they've faced, but when it was over they took it like men.  It goes to show that it's easy and sometimes fun to caricature the opposition, but most often they're pretty good guys, too.

Good guys, wrong uniforms.
How can you ask me a question like that?  Do you ask The Beatles that??

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 07:08:58 pm »
Quote:

Sanders was especially classy. so was LaRussa.

Did I miss something? I thought the first game/first inning curtain call by Sanders was their worst moment, class wise.

Or maybe I was just pissed.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 07:13:20 pm »
after the series ended.

tell me--what is the difference between Sanders' curtain call and Berkman's?

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 07:14:55 pm »
the inning? It just rubbed me the wrong way, as did his delay tactics against Backe.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 07:16:44 pm »
both premature celebrations to me.

just gamesmanship. no big deal, imo.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 07:21:59 pm »
and both driven by the fans, more than likely. I missed a quote by Sanders after the series.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 07:30:45 pm »
Quote:

after the series ended.

tell me--what is the difference between Sanders' curtain call and Berkman's?

The difference? Sanders' CC was in the first inning of the first game of the series; things were very much in doubt.  Berkman's might very well have decided the series, and in the last home game (for the Astros, obviously) of the series, at that.  I think there was a big difference, even though I personally was uncomfortable that he did it.  To me, you wait until the fat lady has sung.  Even so, it seems to me that there was a big difference in the two circumstances.

All that said, I enjoy the rivalry with the Cardinals.  LaRussa pisses me off sometimes, and so does Edmonds.  But they're outstanding ballplayers, and by and large they seem like solid competitors that don't pull any bullshit stunts.  They just play hard, they don't give any quarter, and they don't expect any.  Speaking from personal experience, that is by far the most rewarding athletic experience to be had: two competitors pushing each other as hard as they can, without animosity, but without compassion (during the contest, at least) either.

N.B. "compassion" isn't the right word, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what I want there.  Softness?  Mercy?  Charity?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 11:04:44 pm »
i have never had a problem with curtain calls.  To me it has nothing to with showing up your opponent and everything to do with showing appreciation for your fans.

Showboating around the bases, standing in the box and watching the ball leave the park, doing something akin to the SAMMY HOP, those are all actions solely done to bring attnetion to ones self and are clearly showing up the opposing pitcher.    coming to the top step of the dugout and tipping your hat is not.   Imo.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.