Author Topic: Never.  (Read 4100 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Never.
« on: October 18, 2005, 01:12:42 am »
I was 4 in 1980.  I have no recollection of it whatsoever.  

I was 10 in 1986.  Watched every game with my father in the living room.  While I was obviously rooting for the Astros, I was 10 and was upset, but for about 5 minutes, then went back to playing with our hamster or whatever the fuck 10 year olds do.

I was 28 in 2004.  Watched every pitch of every inning for over a decade.  I spent more time invested in Astros baseball than sleeping or eating combined over that decade.  It was so painful watching Rocket blow it that Laura and I just sat and cried in stunned silence for about an hour.

I'm 29 now.  I've driven across the state twice and was prepared to get in the car again.  I jumped around the living room, getting ahead of myself.  "6 outs to go!  WORLD SERIES."  "3 outs to go!  WORLD FUCKIN' SERIES."  "Fucking Eckstein."  "Fucking Poncino."  "Just walk him if you have to, don't give him anythi..........

I haven't spoken a word since.  The ice melts slowly in a brandy snifter while a bottle of $350 scotch sits, unopened on my counter.  My wife has gone to bed.

I am stunned.  I am nauseated.  I am depressed.  

Still have Roy.  Still have Rocket.  Still have the lead.

But something about 3-1 lead, 1 strike to go just fits too easily into this franchise's history books.  I wish it weren't so, but we've all been here before.  And I can't say I feel good.  

I'm going to go drug myself to sleep.  I'll talk to you all Wednesday.  I don't think I can talk Astros baseball tomorrow.

Get 'em Wednesday, Roy.

Rebel Jew

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
Re: Never.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 01:15:02 am »
Quote:

I haven't spoken a word since.  The ice melts slowly in a brandy snifter while a bottle of $350 scotch sits, unopened on my counter.  My wife has gone to bed.

Don't blame the scotch, Alkie.  Drink it and enjoy it.  We shall overcome.

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 01:17:23 am »
I couldn't eat or drink something right now if I wanted to.

I'm certainly not cracking a $350 bottle of scotch after that game.

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 01:20:14 am »
Quote:

I couldn't eat or drink something right now if I wanted to.

I'm certainly not cracking a $350 bottle of scotch after that game.

what kind of scotch is it?

astrojim

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 01:26:01 am »
My scotch is definitely beginning to kick in.  Did we disturb some sacred Indian Ground in Apache Junction or old colt Stadium or the Dome?  I was 20 in 1980 and 26 in 1986.  And 37-44 years of age over the last playoff runs.  Trust me.  It doesn't get better or easier with age.  (Although the scotch does.)

The Spleen

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 01:28:48 am »
This is my lowest point as a sports fan. Ever.
I say this as lifelong Astro fan... and a lifelong Saints fan for God's sake...
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

Which One's Pink?

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 01:29:29 am »
Why does this have to happen?
The quality of my life would be greatly reduced if I did not have nostrils.

Andyzipp

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 01:29:35 am »
Elimination games are worse.  The Astros are still alive and kicking.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 01:29:44 am »
Quote:

Wait until something like this happens in an elimination game.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 01:34:01 am »
Quote:

I am glad your brain isn't in the head of anyone on the Astros.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Which One's Pink?

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 01:36:42 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I am glad your brain isn't in the head of anyone on the Astros.

Me too.

Hey, we're still up, and we've got our two best horses going the next two.  Hopefully we won't need both.

But this one hurt boys.  It hurt really bad.

K Robert

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 01:45:30 am »
I've lurked for years. Never felt the urge to post until tonight. I think I just need to hang out with people who know how I feel right now. Not that I'm disconsolate or anything, I just don't think anyone else would be able to understand the pendulum of emotions over the last couple of hours. Gotta start fresh on Wednesday. I feel like I need to do something wholesome tomorrow to distract myself like take a walk in the park and kick ducks or something.

Which One's Pink?

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 01:48:19 am »
I feel like someone just stuck their hand down my throat, ripped my heart out, and laughed at me while I sat there blinking, on occasion.

Which One's Pink?

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 01:49:01 am »
I am sure my emotions will change before game 6, but fuck, this is a low point.

astrojim

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 01:54:07 am »
Your right: it's really bad.  I'll feel better tomorrow, but so close-one strike away.  Go get em Roy.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 01:56:14 am »
Quote:

Say, lower than not winning the wild card?  Or maybe lower than finishing beneath the Reds in the standings?  Get real.

This is October baseball, the best sport on earth at the best time.  Enjoy every single minute of it.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 01:58:52 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Say, lower than not winning the wild card?  Or maybe lower than finishing beneath the Reds in the standings?  Get real.

This is October baseball, the best sport on earth at the best time.  Enjoy every single minute of it.

Best post all night.  Good job!
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 02:01:05 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Wait until something like this happens in an elimination game.

It was an elimination game, for the Cards.  

No way was it going to be easy to win 4 in a row against them.  

Take care of business on Wednesday and today will be a bad memory.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Astrobabe

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 02:01:16 am »
Alkie, you know we are the same age. Can't remember whose birthday is first, but that's neither here nor there.

Quote:

I was 4 in 1980.  I have no recollection of it whatsoever.  

I do slightly recall some anger on the part of my dad. That's it.

Quote:

I was 10 in 1986.  Watched every game with my father in the living room.  While I was obviously rooting for the Astros, I was 10 and was upset, but for about 5 minutes, then went back to playing with our hamster or whatever the fuck 10 year olds do.

Sorry, when Kevin Bass struck out, I cried big baby tears. I still cringe when they show that footage in today's broadcasts. Tonight they showed Billy Doran in a daze in the dugout and I got a little misty. He was my favorite player of all time before Bidge.

Quote:

I was 28 in 2004.  Watched every pitch of every inning for over a decade.  I spent more time invested in Astros baseball than sleeping or eating combined over that decade.  It was so painful watching Rocket blow it that Laura and I just sat and cried in stunned silence for about an hour.

Laura is a great woman. I too began sobbing after about the first out, realizing it was not going to happen this time, again.

Quote:

I'm 29 now.  I've driven across the state twice and was prepared to get in the car again.  I jumped around the living room, getting ahead of myself.  "6 outs to go!  WORLD SERIES."  "3 outs to go!  WORLD FUCKIN' SERIES."  "Fucking Eckstein."  "Fucking Poncino."  "Just walk him if you have to, don't give him anythi..........

What the FUCK happened? It is inexplicable.

Shitty time for me to be in grad school. I was thinking of ways to connive my Wednesday night professor, since I have tickets to Game 3 of the WS in Houston next week. I am willing to sacrifice my grade for this. I realize this. It's going to happen. It must. Right? I'm not "predicting," just having a "contingency plan in case." Yeah?

I go to the fridge for a beer between the 8th and 9th (must drink when nervous to not physically shake/barf during playoff pressure situations). When I opened the door, it hit me. Tears of joy started. "Oh my God, we're gonna finally do it," I said aloud. "Please, God, let it happen."

Apparently God doesn't care about baseball, or Houston. I don't call out to the big man upstairs very often, but I petitioned for karma for Houston helping Katrina victims, whatever. Anything that would work.

Now I'm in anger mode. HATE Albert Pujols! It's so hard to openly hate someone you know is not a punk or a cheater (to our knowledge), but you have to hate him because he is so damn good and he killed you again.

Quote:

I haven't spoken a word since.  The ice melts slowly in a brandy snifter while a bottle of $350 scotch sits, unopened on my counter.  My wife has gone to bed. I am stunned.  I am nauseated.  I am depressed.  

Still have Roy.  Still have Rocket.  Still have the lead.

But something about 3-1 lead, 1 strike to go just fits too easily into this franchise's history books.  I wish it weren't so, but we've all been here before.  And I can't say I feel good.  

Zach, I don't either. It is too unfuckingbelievable to even comprehend. And it is just about as "wrong" as it can get in our world.  At least we have two chances to knock them out instead of one. That's about the only solace I have right now.

Quote:

Get 'em Wednesday, Roy.

Amen. That's all we can ask.

Which One's Pink?

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 02:02:26 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Great analysis.  Pretty similar situations.

Don't tell me how to feel or what to enjoy.  I've been with this team since before I can remember being alive.  We're still in a great spot, we've got our best arms ready to go, and I'll be ready come Wednesday.  

But that doesn't change the fact that tonight sucked really bad, and it doesn't make you a bad astros fan to say so.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 02:20:19 am »
I was there.  I was counting outs.  I started in the 7th after Berkman hit his bomb, and realised that Pooholes did not need to come up again.

The walk to Edmonds was crucial.  Everything else was inevitable.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Which One's Pink?

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 02:23:01 am »
Let's just move on.  The card fucktart got me pissed, so I am ready for Roy to come back and mow them down.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 02:29:55 am »
Quote:

Let's just move on.  The card fucktart got me pissed, so I am ready for Roy to come back and mow them down.

There's no point in pretending that we're not pissed off.  Doesn't mean that I think we're done, it just means that if that toss-pot came within arm's length, he'd be toast.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 02:31:38 am »
Quote:

Quote:

There's no point in pretending that we're not pissed off.  Doesn't mean that I think we're done, it just means that if that toss-pot came within arm's length, he'd be toast.

Ahh, Limey, tis easier to gloat on the internet than in person.

Astros will take care of business on Wednesday.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.