Author Topic: How many Borass players are in the LCS games?  (Read 2441 times)

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
How many Borass players are in the LCS games?
« on: October 11, 2005, 02:02:13 pm »
I would love to see this stat and how it compares with other years. I, however, dont have the slightest clue on how to obtain this.

Can anyone help?

pravata

Re: How many Borass players are in the LCS games?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 02:07:40 pm »
Quote:

I would love to see this stat and how it compares with other years. I, however, dont have the slightest clue on how to obtain this.

Can anyone help?

I think these were the main Boras FAs at the beginning of the season,

Carlos Beltran:
Adrian Beltre:
Jason Varitek:
J.D. Drew:
Magglio Ordonez:
Kevin Millwood:
Derek Lowe:

Xavier

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 02:26:45 pm »
Quote:

Can anyone help?

Looks like Jarrod Washburn is the only one this year.

Wikipedia Boras Page

jasonact

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 02:44:24 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Can anyone help?

Looks like Jarrod Washburn is the only one this year.

Wikipedia Boras Page

I don't know enough about the business of baseball to speculate about whether that means anything or not, but I sure find it interesting.
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

strobum

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 03:21:24 pm »
From Boras' bio entry on wikipedia:

"The Cubs paid for him to attend law school at the University of the Pacific."

Why does this not surprise me?

jasonact

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 04:20:00 pm »
Quote:

From Boras' bio entry on wikipedia:

"The Cubs paid for him to attend law school at the University of the Pacific."

Why does this not surprise me?

Yeah. That caught my attention too. Why would a MLB club pay for an obscure minor leaguer to attend law school, other than the fact that the Cubs are run by a bunch of oxygen-deprived drunk chimps? Is that common?
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 04:23:02 pm »
Quote:

Yeah. That caught my attention too. Why would a MLB club pay for an obscure minor leaguer to attend law school, other than the fact that the Cubs are run by a bunch of oxygen-deprived drunk chimps? Is that common?

It is.  Scholarships are very often a part of an initial signing deal for recently-drafted college players.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 04:27:20 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

It is.  Scholarships are very often a part of an initial signing deal for recently-drafted college players.

Even beyond the initial signing deal. I think the Indians paid for Albert Belle to get his CPA during the offseason, after he was already a multi-millionaire.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 04:34:56 pm »
Quote:

Even beyond the initial signing deal. I think the Indians paid for Albert Belle to get his CPA during the offseason, after he was already a multi-millionaire.

It's usually part of the original signing deal.  For example, as a signing bonus a player may agree to $100,000 cash and law school paid for when he's done playing.  You may go to law school after 3 years of minor league obscurity or after 14 years as a Major League All-Star.  A deal is a deal.  It's to entice guys who might otherwise go back to school because they have school paid for at that point.  The team says "sign with us now and we'll pay for the rest of your school".
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

strobum

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 04:38:29 pm »
Just found this item in Fidel Castro's wikipeda bio:

"After attending an open tryout for the puppies of Chicago in 1956, the Cubs paid Castro's tuition to Moscow University."

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 04:39:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

It's usually part of the original signing deal.  For example, as a signing bonus a player may agree to $100,000 cash and law school paid for when he's done playing.  You may go to law school after 3 years of minor league obscurity or after 14 years as a Major League All-Star.  A deal is a deal.  It's to entice guys who might otherwise go back to school because they have school paid for at that point.  The team says "sign with us now and we'll pay for the rest of your school".

That's a great deal, from both parties stand point, thanks for the info. In a related note, didn't the Padres pay for Theo Epstein's Univ. of San Diego JD?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."