Author Topic: Can someone tell me...  (Read 1378 times)

cougar

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • I dare you
    • View Profile
Can someone tell me...
« on: October 06, 2005, 04:02:28 am »
WHY I continue to watch ESPN and expect love for the hometown heroes?  I watch the late SportsCenter to watch Graffanino go Buckner on that grounder about a billion times, get everyone and their mother's reaction to it, and watch Harold Reynolds reenact it like it was the damn Zapruder film or something.  After 10 minutes of Red Sox "highlights", we go to 5-6 minutes of Yankees (I guess they hadn't had time to put together their usual Ode To The Yankees yet), then opening night in the NHL to see if that Crosby kid got his scoring cherry popped (an assist WOOHOO!).  NHL took another 10 minutes.  THEN, and only then, do we get abour 3 minutes of game highlights that showed as many Braves highlights as Astros highlights, then a fluff piece by Kurkjian on Biggio.

Then, I make the mistake of catching their 1 AM SportsCenter just in time to catch their "Recap" of Wednesday.  What do I see?  In order, Red Sox, Yankees, and hockey.

That's it.

Not a mention of the Astros.

Why do I subject myself to this punishment?  Why do I return to ESPN like a dog to it's vomit, only to get neglected by their "If it ain't East Coast, it don't count" attitude?  Why am I stuck watching a prepubescent Asian girl mumble her way towards more money for a 30 second commercial then I'll make in my life just because her dad shoved a golf club into her hand before she could get out of the crib?

Why can't Jayson Stark be in charge of ESPN programming?  Four hours of Astros highlights can be cleansing for the soul.  It's a spiritual confessional, if you will.

xxx

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:41:56 pm »
I think the less they talk about us the better. I like flying under the radar...Everytime people started talking about the Astros is when we embarass ourselves on tv. Let them talk about the Yankee and Red Sox. Even here at work I don't let people talk to me about the Astros when we are on a roll. Even when the locals were talking about the Texans in July I rolled with it and just sat back and watched.
It's all part of the game.....

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone tell me...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 01:54:39 pm »
My name is BUWebguy, and I too make that same mistake. Over and over and over again. I even thought ESPN.com might have a mention of our win on their front page this morning; no such luck.

Write it on the blackboard with me:
I will not expect ESPN to mention the Astros.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010