Author Topic: Week 05/05 - 05/11: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive vol. XII  (Read 6426 times)

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
New week.  Fire away.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Extended Spring Info
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 10:59:50 pm »
Any word on anyone who is looking good bad or ugly at Extended Spring?  

If someone drops from Lexington to Tri when short season starts, who are the likely candidates to move in?
Always ready to go to a game.

awrr

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: Week 05/05 - 05/11: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive vol.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 02:20:21 pm »
hunter pence came into the organization from UTA, but where did he go to high school?  i had a feeling it was kingwood HS in north houston, but i can't confirm it anywhere.  am i wrong?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 02:40:05 pm »
Quote:

hunter pence came into the organization from UTA, but where did he go to high school?  i had a feeling it was kingwood HS in north houston, but i can't confirm it anywhere.  am i wrong?

Nope.  Arlington High School.
Goin' for a bus ride.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 02:40:47 pm »
Quote:

He went to Arlington HS.

Link

Also played at the Fort Worth Cats Baseball Club:

link2
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Spring Info - try again
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 11:49:13 am »
I was trying to be vague but I'll be more direct.  I say that Saturday night, Mitch E went 0 for 4 with 4 strike outs.  He is now hitting just over 200.  Is he looking like a send down next month?  Would Paraz be most likely to move up?

What's up with Mitch trying 1st base in a game recently? Was that a game need or a planned experiement?
Always ready to go to a game.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Spring Info - try again
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:26:26 pm »
Quote:

I was trying to be vague but I'll be more direct.  I say that Saturday night, Mitch E went 0 for 4 with 4 strike outs.  He is now hitting just over 200.  Is he looking like a send down next month?  Would Paraz be most likely to move up?

Well, it may be a bit more complicated than that.  Pence and to a lesser extent Caraballo are currently playing at a level that may see them moved in a mid-season callup to Salem.  The Astros may want as much stability in Lexington as possible and only make one move.  If that's the case I'd guess Pence to Salem.  However, if Einertson were demoted, and he's certainly playing himself into that position, anyone could take his place.  I can't say whether the Astros would want to throw Parraz into that or a more experienced outfielder, like James Cooper, or even a 2005 draftee (esp. if one is drafted in the first round).  We're just in wait and see mode right now.

What's up with Mitch trying 1st base in a game recently? Was that a game need or a planned experiement?

Dunno.  We'll check.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Burke to RR, what next?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 02:10:07 pm »
Burke was sent down, but has yet to actually appear.  Does RR need to make a move, or was there an extra slot on the roster?

And where is Burke likely to play when he does show up for duty?  The infield looks solid (Rivera/Huffman, Conrad, Coolbaugh/Klassen, Whiteman/Klassen).  Huffman and Whiteman are both struggling, but even if Whiteman is sent back to AA (which seems to me to be unlikely) I doubt if Burke's future is at SS.  The outfield (Scott, Gipson, Wesson, Self) is already crowded.  Self is leading the league in hitting; Scott needs to play; Gipson & Wesson are both contributing mightily to the offense.  So does Burke end up playing CF for a while waiting for a trade?

Or maybe the fact that he has not shown up means there is a trade in the works??

Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands and have given in to idle speculation.
Up in the Air

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 02:41:37 pm »
with Kent and Beltran's departure, are we getting any additional first round picks this year?

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: Burke to RR, what next?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 03:15:24 pm »
Quote:

Burke was sent down, but has yet to actually appear.  Does RR need to make a move, or was there an extra slot on the roster?

With Burke's option to Round Rock, the Astros also sent Brooks Conrad down to Corpus Christi.

Quote:

And where is Burke likely to play when he does show up for duty?  The infield looks solid (Rivera/Huffman, Conrad, Coolbaugh/Klassen, Whiteman/Klassen).  Huffman and Whiteman are both struggling, but even if Whiteman is sent back to AA (which seems to me to be unlikely) I doubt if Burke's future is at SS.  The outfield (Scott, Gipson, Wesson, Self) is already crowded.  Self is leading the league in hitting; Scott needs to play; Gipson & Wesson are both contributing mightily to the offense.  So does Burke end up playing CF for a while waiting for a trade?

I was wondering when someone might take notice of this fact.  If middle-of-the-lineup offense and OF defense are problems for the Astros, then there is someone on the farm who might be able to help.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 03:22:48 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Or maybe the fact that he has not shown up means there is a trade in the works??

Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands and have given in to idle speculation.

With Burke's option to Round Rock, the Astros also sent Brooks Conrad down to Corpus Christi.

IMO, that's good news for all.  For Burke, it means the Astros still consider him a second baseman, even if he is dealt.  For Conrad, it means the Astros think enough of him that they want him to play everyday at second.  I'm sure he's not happy being sent down, but his bat will certainly help Corpus score some runs.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 03:25:42 pm »
Quote:

with Kent and Beltran's departure, are we getting any additional first round picks this year?

Nothing for Kent as the Astros did not offer him arbitration.

The Astros received a supplemental first round pick and the Mets third round pick for them signing Beltran because the Astros offered Carlos arbitration.  The Mets retained their first round pick because it is in the top half of the draft.  The Red Sox also got a supplemental first round pick (lower than the Astros) and the Mets second round pick for signing Pedro.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 04:14:43 pm »
Quote:

IMO, that's good news for all. For Burke, it means the Astros still consider him a second baseman, even if he is dealt. For Conrad, it means the Astros think enough of him that they want him to play everyday at second. I'm sure he's not happy being sent down, but his bat will certainly help Corpus score some runs.

Agreed.  Plus, Conrad's arrival in Corpus should provide that team with some sorely needed leadership, as well.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 06:27:59 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And where is Burke likely to play when he does show up for duty?  ...  Self is leading the league in hitting;  ...

I was wondering when someone might take notice of this fact.  If middle-of-the-lineup offense and OF defense are problems for the Astros, then there is someone on the farm who might be able to help.

Thanks for the info ... I had not seen the demotion of Conrad.  He seemed to be (finally) coming around, so at that level it is (I'm sure) a disappointment.  Still, he will get to play full time.

Of course, that just brings up another question ... who do the Hooks get rid of?  My vote is Zamora ... He does not seem to be a huge offensive force and his best years (sic) are behind him.

As for Todd Self helping the 'stros, I think that would be rushing things quite a bit.  If they really need another bat off the bench, Coolbaugh would be a better choice (IMO).
Up in the Air

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 06:39:13 pm »
Quote:

As for Todd Self helping the 'stros, I think that would be rushing things quite a bit.

VB, out of curiosity, what do you mean here?  As you appear to be a regular spectator of Express games, I'm interested to know your first-hand observations.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 06:48:57 pm »
Self is patient at the plate ... he walks more than anyone I've seen at this level ... and good at gappers, but has (mostly) warning track power.  Also, it seemed that last year he would kill the weaker pitchers and do quite poorly against the better ones.  I'm guessing he has some exploitable holes in his swing, given the above.  

Based on last year's observations, he was way behind Scott (even though Scott spent half a season at Salem) and did also not compare well to the likes of Ensberg and Lane when they were here.  Much more like Ginter (but with less power).

As for outfield defense, he has played RF in the lower levels (along with 1B where he played exclusively last year), but is mostly in LF for the Express this year.  He appears to be adequate out there, but that is all.  He has a few pretty impressive looking outfield assists in the box scores, but it looked to me like the opposition was challenging an arm that was not quite as weak (or inconsistent?) as they thought it was.  I'd be interested in other's take on his arm, though.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 06:50:51 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

As for Todd Self helping the 'stros, I think that would be rushing things quite a bit.

VB, out of curiosity, what do you mean here?  As you appear to be a regular spectator of Express games, I'm interested to know your first-hand observations.

Quote:

Houston Astros
Placed 1B Jeff Bagwell on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 4, with a right shoulder sprain and purchased the contract of INF Todd Self from Triple-A Round Rock.  [the link]  

I guess I better keep the day job.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 06:56:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Houston Astros
Placed 1B Jeff Bagwell on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 4, with a right shoulder sprain and purchased the contract of INF Todd Self from Triple-A Round Rock.  [the link]  

I guess I better keep the day job.

Naw.  I think you were ok.  Under ordinary circumstances you'd have been on target.  It looks like Todd was the best fit for what the Astros needed in what has become a very odd year.  That, and he tore up the PCL.  I hope he does well.
Goin' for a bus ride.

austinite

• Clark
    • View Profile
Einertson
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 01:07:54 am »
Just wanted to pass along that Mitch Einertson hit his first homer of the season tonight, hopefully that will get him going.