Author Topic: No Joy in Mudville  (Read 3974 times)

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
No Joy in Mudville
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:27:42 am »
I suspect I'll smoke the victory cigar anyway, but it may take a couple of days to work my way up to it.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: No Joy in Mudville
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 10:29:58 am »
It wasn't the Astros' most successful season, but it's in the top two.  I'll smoke a pennant-winning cigar and wait for Spring.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 10:41:33 am »
I gave myself last night to pout, and I did a lot of pouting from about the 8th inning until I fell asleep watching Peaky Blinders around 1am.

Today I look forward to the 2020 season. And I should probably put in a little effort toward finding a new job, as my old one ended yesterday afternoon.

Aussie Astro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 10:46:13 am »
I gave myself last night to pout, and I did a lot of pouting from about the 8th inning until I fell asleep watching Peaky Blinders around 1am.

Today I look forward to the 2020 season. And I should probably put in a little effort toward finding a new job, as my old one ended yesterday afternoon.

Can you pitch?  I think I know where there will be an opening...
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 10:52:44 am »
I pitched once when I was in 6th grade. Not sure if I even got an out. I think I walked four guys and gave up a double off the fence to a guy that was so slow I later threw him out as a third baseman playing in shallow LF (obviously in Temple Youth Baseball in the 80s we were early adopters of the shift).

So yeah, I'm available, and it *would* be a pay increase. Give me a call, Jeff!

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 12:10:32 pm »
turn  the page think about pitchers and catchers reporting...ttust me a lot to think  about ..woaaa
forever is composed entirely of nows

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 12:47:01 pm »
I'm extremely disappointed but the butterflies are gone and my heart rate is back down in the 60s.

We got to19 outs with a 2 run lead in G7, but you need at least 27 and the lead to celebrate.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the 2019 Astros.  Many cool moments,  special performances, and entertaining personalities. Didn't win the prize,  but came damn close.

And the Altuve walk off will always, always be a magnificent memory.

So bittersweet.   Mostly bitter at the moment.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 12:54:44 pm »
It's not as hard for me to see it as if we lost to the 2017 Astros....
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 02:15:26 pm »
Wellsir, I for one am grateful to the ownership and organization  for the wonderful baseball and entertainment that they provided this year. I'm even grateful that we came within a game of taking it all. I am grateful because I remember those seasons of not so long ago. The 111 loss season and losing the last 15 in a row that year sticks out in my mind. While we came up short, we did god damn good, and even though we have some questions, Astros baseball looks in great hands, and for that too I am grateful.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 05:08:56 pm »
It was a great season with a disappointing ending.
Always ready to go to a game.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 07:21:54 am »
My disappointment has an overlay of disbelief. Losing all four games at home simply is impossible to wrap my mind around, and the aces pitched three of those. The offense never broke lose at home, which also is incomprehensible. My one huge regret is Greinke’s game not resulting in a win for him and for the team. He was magnificent.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 07:43:33 am »
My disappointment has an overlay of disbelief. Losing all four games at home simply is impossible to wrap my mind around, and the aces pitched three of those. The offense never broke lose at home, which also is incomprehensible. My one huge regret is Greinke’s game not resulting in a win for him and for the team. He was magnificent.
Same here. Losing four home games had never happened before. Why now? 
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 08:13:53 am »

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 08:16:32 am »
Because baseball.

Because I misplaced my lucky hat.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 11:56:48 am »
does  frito    pie get replaced next season
forever is composed entirely of nows

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 12:01:22 pm »
does  frito    pie get replaced next season

Frito Pie doesn't guarantee a win, it's simply preparation and dedication.  It's like hitting a 2-0 line drive 110 mph with the bases loaded...it usually plates two runs, but baseball is a cruel mistress sometimes and the BBGs are fickle.  You do what you can do, not matter what.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »
Frito Pie doesn't guarantee a win, it's simply preparation and dedication.  It's like hitting a 2-0 line drive 110 mph with the bases loaded...it usually plates two runs, but baseball is a cruel mistress sometimes and the BBGs are fickle.  You do what you can do, not matter what.

Great point.

But now my stomach hurts even without the frito pie.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 12:35:25 pm »

I stopped posting in the gamezone, they seemed to win when I stopped.   Maybe I shouldn't have been reading it either.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 01:35:33 pm »

Exactly right.