Author Topic: Sunday’s game  (Read 5145 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Sunday’s game
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:29:06 pm »
I have access to one available ticket for Sunday. If you are interested, PM me.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday’s game
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 08:09:04 pm »
Ticket gone, I think.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 08:46:46 am »
If your going to be there I think we're in section 118.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:48:20 am »
If your going to be there I think we're in section 118.

I am in 130something.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 09:00:15 am »
I am in 130something.

We'll probably get there well before the game. Maybe we can sit down for a beer back near the st. Arnold bar.  I'd offer to buy, but they've increased prices for the playoffs.  I'll split one with you though.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 09:05:53 am »
We'll probably get there well before the game. Maybe we can sit down for a beer back near the st. Arnold bar.  I'd offer to buy, but they've increased prices for the playoffs.  I'll split one with you though.

What a generous guy you are.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 09:41:09 am »
It looks like I may have a couple of tickets for game 6, if necessary. Haven’t been to Houston in about 30 years. If we get to go and want to stay in the area of MMP.....
A. Where to go for BBQ? Jackson St BBQ?
B. Where to go for a good steak, without parting with my first born to pay for it?
C. Best Mexican/Tex-Mex in that area would be?

Thanks for your help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 09:41:17 am »

$16.50 for a big Love Street. If Abbott can keep people from profiteering during hurricanes, he ought to be able to do something about this.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 10:00:30 am »
$16.50 for a big Love Street. If Abbott can keep people from profiteering during hurricanes, he ought to be able to do something about this.

Same likelihood that the players will take less money to play.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 10:17:00 am »
It looks like I may have a couple of tickets for game 6, if necessary. Haven’t been to Houston in about 30 years. If we get to go and want to stay in the area of MMP.....
A. Where to go for BBQ? Jackson St BBQ?
B. Where to go for a good steak, without parting with my first born to pay for it?
C. Best Mexican/Tex-Mex in that area would be?

Thanks for your help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackson St. is close to the stadium, and it's not bad. It should be rowdy pre-game, which would be fun.  There's better Texas BBQ nearby, at the Pit Room on Richmond and Pinkerton's on Airline. I once had a Frito pie at the Pit Room, but it was unhealthily large.  I suspect Truth on Washington is also very good, but I haven't been.

There are three steak places near the stadium, Morton's, Vic & Anthony's, and Pappas.  All will be absurdly expensive. As an alternative, there's a Vietnamese place nearby that's very good, Hyunh. https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/top-100-restaurants/article/Top-100-Houston-restaurant-Huynh-Restaurant-13253840.php#. I always get the tofu in crispy noodles, but there's a good sirloin dish as well.  I think it's byob.

Ninfa's on Navigation. Make a reservation. They run a bus to MMPUS.

There's also a good grocery downtown now, with good pastries. Phoenicia. You can get beer or wine there on the way to Huynh.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 10:18:10 am »

I bought an IPA and a bag of peanuts.  I think I paid $23.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 10:18:10 am »
Same likelihood that the players will take less money to play.

I read somewhere that the qualifying offer for FAs next year will actually go down for the first time ever.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 10:21:11 am »
In 2017 for the ALCS I met BudGirl for whisky at 1820 then we met Jim for tacos and Love Street at Torchy's.  That was a good year. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 10:36:54 am »
So...I'm assuming it's a least an 1 -1.5 hours to get through security at MMPUS?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 10:38:49 am »
So...I'm assuming it's a least an 1 -1.5 hours to get through security at MMPUS?

If it's like the ALDS, we showed up about an hour early and buzzed right through. If we'd shown up 30 minutes later I suspect we'd have been in by the second inning.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 10:45:13 am »
Jackson St. is close to the stadium, and it's not bad. It should be rowdy pre-game, which would be fun.  There's better Texas BBQ nearby, at the Pit Room on Richmond and Pinkerton's on Airline. I once had a Frito pie at the Pit Room, but it was unhealthily large.  I suspect Truth on Washington is also very good, but I haven't been.

The Truth location in Brenham is real good. Haven’t hit the Houston one yet but I imagine it’s the same.

I also second the Pit Room recommendation. It’s not far from where I live, so it’s become my go-to.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 10:48:47 am »
If it's like the ALDS, we showed up about an hour early and buzzed right through. If we'd shown up 30 minutes later I suspect we'd have been in by the second inning.

It's a good 30-45 minutes to get through on a Tuesday night in June.  I was thinking the Postseason would be a nightmare.  Unless they've dramatically improved their security screening.  I plan on getting there early.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 11:13:27 am »
Highly recommend Ninfa's and their complementary shuttle to and from the game.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 11:18:09 am »

Same for us. We went in on Crawford, and there wasn't any wait on Friday or Saturday. But I'm sure it gets worse as you get closer to game time.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 11:23:52 am »
$16.50 for a big Love Street.
The analysts have already determined how many beers they will sell at various price points and concluded that the optimal price is $16.50. If they could charge more without diminishing sales they would.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:27:43 am by Col. Sphinx Drummond »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2019, 11:25:00 am »
The analysts have already determined how many beers they will sell at various price points and concluded that the optimism price is $16.50. If they could charge more without diminishing sales they would.
Pretty sure that's what I paid for a 12 pack at HEB this morning.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 11:25:23 am »
It's a good 30-45 minutes to get through on a Tuesday night in June.  I was thinking the Postseason would be a nightmare.  Unless they've dramatically improved their security screening.  I plan on getting there early.

You'll also save time if you don't carry a purse.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2019, 11:28:47 am »
You'll also save time if you don't carry a purse.

Last time I went to an Astros game, a woman held up the line for 15 minutes arguing that she should be allowed to bring in two bottles of wine, and when they absolutely refused, she stood there drinking them straight from the bottle...no they did not make her step out of line to do so.  And no, it wasn't Mrs. Hawk. 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 11:30:57 am »
Last time I went to an Astros game, a woman held up the line for 15 minutes arguing that she should be allowed to bring in two bottles of wine, and when they absolutely refused, she stood there drinking them straight from the bottle...no they did not make her step out of line to do so.  And no, it wasn't Mrs. Hawk.

It wasn't Kris was it?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2019, 11:31:51 am »
Pretty sure that's what I paid for a 12 pack at HEB this morning.
I’m old enough to remember when people could take a thermos of spiked lemonade with them in the bleacher seats at the Dome. Do people still sneak in whisky flasks?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 11:34:52 am »
It wasn't Kris was it?

Bottles...not boxes. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2019, 11:36:15 am »
I’m old enough to remember when people could take a thermos of spiked lemonade with them in the bleacher seats at the Dome. Do people still sneak in whisky flasks?

I have some "barnoculars", and I think I have a plastic flask.  But alas, metal detectors have mostly killed the fine tradition of a flask in the boot. 

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 11:39:06 am »
So you’re saying that this broad downed two bottles of wine in fifteen minutes? That’s pretty strong work.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2019, 11:42:31 am »
Yeah, I've been known to do that.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2019, 11:42:42 am »

Don’t forget that security is going to get gummed up with Yankie fans whose mouths are too big to fit through the scanners.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 11:56:18 am »
So you’re saying that this broad downed two bottles of wine in fifteen minutes? That’s pretty strong work.

Pshaw...Tuesday night during tax season at the Hawk household. 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 01:39:04 pm »
Wen't last night, got there about 1 hour before first pitch, entered on the Hamilton & Texas entrance.   Took less than 1 minute to get in.  Zero line.

Also $12.50 for a fucking domestic beer is absolutely ridiculous. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2019, 03:11:22 pm »
 I am more than happy to have y’all pay $12.50 and $16.50 for various beers there at the park if it means we get to keep Cole.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2019, 06:33:45 pm »
I am more than happy to have y’all pay $12.50 and $16.50 for various beers there at the park if it means we get to keep Cole.

My sentiments exactly...and I did pay $16.50.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2019, 06:42:22 pm »
If it is simple as that, I would gladly pay the price.  I doubt that is the case though.

Not sure how many follow what Arthur Blank has done with Falcons and events at the MB Stadium in Downtown Atlanta.   Cut prices for concessions back to early 90s or even 1980 prices.

prices include $2 for a Coca-Cola in a refillable cup; $2 for a hot dog, a pretzel or popcorn; $3 for waffle fries, a pizza slice or nachos with cheese; and $5 for a Bud Light or a cheeseburger.

While the team saw direct monetary benefits from this innovative approach to food and beverages (in the form of a 16% increase in fan spending on F&B despite a 50% price reduction compared with their last season in the Georgia Dome),

The owners and their bullshit concession prices hit the tipping point for me a long time ago, I just simply refuse to buy food at the stadium any longer.  A couple other teams are adopting Blank's Falcon pricing and are all making more money because of it. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2019, 06:52:10 pm »
My sentiments exactly...and I did pay $16.50.

I'm down for a case.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2019, 07:56:15 pm »
I understand not wanting to make it easy for fans to get drunk and then leave the ballpark drunk and drive home and have wreck and kill innocent victims. I don't understand a $10 dollar hot dog. As far as I know no one ever got killed by a guy that ate too many chili cheese dogs, except maybe the guy that ate too many. I like to do my drinking and eating before the game. I do sometimes buy something to snack and sip on and find the prices so hyper inflated that I feel I did not get enough value or benefit to economically justify the expense, mostly an annoyance.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2019, 09:46:02 pm »
If it is simple as that, I would gladly pay the price.  I doubt that is the case though.

Not sure how many follow what Arthur Blank has done with Falcons and events at the MB Stadium in Downtown Atlanta.   Cut prices for concessions back to early 90s or even 1980 prices.

prices include $2 for a Coca-Cola in a refillable cup; $2 for a hot dog, a pretzel or popcorn; $3 for waffle fries, a pizza slice or nachos with cheese; and $5 for a Bud Light or a cheeseburger.

While the team saw direct monetary benefits from this innovative approach to food and beverages (in the form of a 16% increase in fan spending on F&B despite a 50% price reduction compared with their last season in the Georgia Dome),

The owners and their bullshit concession prices hit the tipping point for me a long time ago, I just simply refuse to buy food at the stadium any longer.  A couple other teams are adopting Blank's Falcon pricing and are all making more money because of it.

As long as the on field product doesn't follow too because damn.
Goin' for a bus ride.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2019, 09:59:59 pm »
As far as I know no one ever got killed by a guy that ate too many chili cheese dogs, except maybe the guy that ate too many.

Getting stuck in an elevator with him could be fatal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.