Author Topic: ALCS Rotation  (Read 5389 times)

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
ALCS Rotation
« on: October 10, 2019, 11:11:16 pm »
My guesses are:

Game 1: Saturday, 10-12: Greinke
Game 2: Sunday, 10-13:  Verlander
Game 3: Tuesday, 10-15: Cole
Game 4: Wednesday, 10-16: Urquidy / James / Johnny Allstaff
Game 5: Thursday, 10-17: Greinke
Game 6: Saturday, 10-19: Verlander
Game 7: Sunday, 10-20: Cole

I've liked Urquidy's stuff the last couple of times out, so I hope he'll start Game 4, but it could be anybody.
He breezed him, one more time!

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Re: ALCS Rotation
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 06:27:37 am »
My guesses are:

Game 1: Saturday, 10-12: Greinke
Game 2: Sunday, 10-13:  Verlander
Game 3: Tuesday, 10-15: Cole
Game 4: Wednesday, 10-16: Urquidy / James / Johnny Allstaff
Game 5: Thursday, 10-17: Greinke
Game 6: Saturday, 10-19: Verlander
Game 7: Sunday, 10-20: Cole

I've liked Urquidy's stuff the last couple of times out, so I hope he'll start Game 4, but it could be anybody.

My guess is the rotation after game 4 is subject to change for the same reasons JV pitched on short rest. This team will get a huge boost if Greinke can step up and beat the damn Yankees.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 07:51:28 am »
My guess is the rotation after game 4 is subject to change for the same reasons JV pitched on short rest. This team will get a huge boost if Greinke can step up and beat the damn Yankees.

My WAG is Greinke will have a great game.  And hopefully gets a little bored during it.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 09:00:58 am »
Kaplan predicts Miley and Straw will be replaced with Peacock and Abreu for the ALCS.  I'm not sure that I saw enough from Tucker to value his bat over Straw's legs but I guess if you are expecting a lot of offense in the series then better to favor the slugging potential?

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 09:28:28 am »
These are tough and interesting decisions.  I’m glad AJ and Luhnow are making them.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
ALCS Rotation
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 09:31:39 am »
Grienke and how he performs against the Yankees may be the key to the series. I don’t know about his numbers all-time against the Yankees, but his numbers in Yankee Stadium all-time are horrendous. Like, lifetime ERA in Yankee Stadium is over 10 or some crazy number like that. There was a big discussion about this on MLB Radio last week when they were pondering Grienke throwing against the Yankees in game 3 and how bad he’s pitched in that stadium. We may end up being fortunate that he is going game one, but that still potentially leaves him throwing Game 5 in Yankee Stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 09:40:12 am »
Grienke and how he performs against the Yankees may be the key to the series. I don’t know about his numbers all-time against the Yankees, but his numbers in Yankee Stadium all-time are horrendous. Like, lifetime ERA in Yankee Stadium is over 10 or some crazy number like that. There was a big discussion about this on MLB Radio last week when they were pondering Grienke throwing against the Yankees in game 3 and how bad he’s pitched in that stadium. We may end up being fortunate that he is going game one, but that still potentially leaves him throwing Game 5 in Yankee Stadium.

His last outing in Yankee stadium was the day he was traded.  5IP, 2H, 2ER, 3BB, 7K.  That would be getting it done.
Goin' for a bus ride.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 09:47:07 am »
His last outing in Yankee stadium was the day he was traded.  5IP, 2H, 2ER, 3BB, 7K.  That would be getting it done.
You are correct. I had forgot about that. If he could duplicate that again I would take it for sure. I wish I could remember that exact lifetime numbers Phillips was quoting but they were not good. As far as I’m concerned, the last outing is the most important. Hopefully Zack can build off of that outing.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 09:51:23 am »
Kaplan predicts Miley and Straw will be replaced with Peacock and Abreu for the ALCS.  I'm not sure that I saw enough from Tucker to value his bat over Straw's legs but I guess if you are expecting a lot of offense in the series then better to favor the slugging potential?

I can't imagine opting for Tucker over Straw after the LDS. At the end of the slugfest of game 5, legs won it.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 09:59:00 am »
I can't imagine opting for Tucker over Straw after the LDS. At the end of the slugfest of game 5, legs won it.
Tucker has legs too.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 10:05:30 am »
Tucker has legs too.

Right. Tucker is a threat on the bases.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 10:08:51 am »
Tucker and Straw are not comparable in terms of speed. Straw is top 5 in the league. Tucker is 8th on his team. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 10:20:47 am »
Tucker and Straw are not comparable in terms of speed. Straw is top 5 in the league. Tucker is 8th on his team. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard
Tucker is like a giraffe, you're amazed that he can run as fast as he does. Straw is more like a transporter beam; you see a flicker at the beginning, a vague blur in between, and a flicker back to solid form at the end.
He breezed him, one more time!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 10:20:59 am »
Marisnick, while not Straw, is fast and an excellent baserunner. Perhaps Hinch is not comfortable having them both taking roster spots in this series.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 10:23:17 am »

I did not say Tucker is comparable to Straw’s speed, which is elite. I said Tucker can run. He stole 30+ bases in RR, I think.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 10:23:44 am »
I know the reason it won't change, but at this point it seems like Brantley-Marisnick-Springer is superior to Brantley-Springer-Reddick.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 10:25:28 am »
I know the reason it won't change, but at this point it seems like Brantley-Marisnick-Springer is superior to Brantley-Springer-Reddick.

Marisnick have reverted to a K machine. I like the current alignment with Marisnick for late inning defense.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 10:29:02 am »
Marisnick have reverted to a K machine. I like the current alignment with Marisnick for late inning defense.

Reddick went 1 for 10 with 1 BB and 5K in the LDS. I'm not sure how far the drop off could be with Marisnick.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 10:29:29 am »
Same here.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 10:31:34 am »
Reddick went 1 for 10 with 1 BB and 5K in the LDS. I'm not sure how far the drop off could be with Marisnick.

A lot. Reddick makes contact; Marisnick does not. Reddick also is an elite defender.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 10:34:16 am »
So, it might seem that dropping Straw for another bat off of the bench may make sense with Marisnick only being used for pinch-running and/or late inning defense. But what bat would you add? Or would it be a bullpen piece? It does seem Straw is a little bit of a luxury but Hinch/Luhnow have always liked that speed off the bench asset.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:37:30 am by juliogotay »

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 10:37:21 am »
A lot. Reddick makes contact; Marisnick does not. Reddick also is an elite defender.

I'd love to see Marisnick start, but I know why he doesn't start.  Marisnick and the rest of the team know their roles.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 11:01:15 am »
So, it might seem that dropping Straw for another bat off of the bench may make sense with Marisnick only being used for pinch-running and/or late inning defense. But what bat would you add? Or would it be a bullpen piece? It does seem Straw is a little bit of a luxury but Hinch/Luhnow have always liked that speed off the bench asset.

Kaplan presumed replacing Straw with a bullpen arm - Abreu (along with replacing Miley with Peacock).

Tucker's handedness is also a consideration.  He's enough of a slugging threat that you can use him to induce a pitching change - which Hinch did last night.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 11:18:16 am »
Greinke career vs NYY:
15 G, 12 GS, 4-4, 5.05, 71.1 IP, 68 H, 40 ER, 55 K, 27 BB

At old Yankee Stadium:
4 G, 3 GS, 0-2, 8.82, 16.1 IP, 26 H, 16 ER, 13 K, 10 BB

At new Yankee Stadium:
2 G, 2 GS, 0-1, 11.57, 7.0 IP, 7 H, 9 ER, 7 K, 6 BB

Assuming my math is good, his numbers then vs the Yankees away from NY:
9 G, 7 GS, 4-1, 2.81, 48 IP, 35 H, 15 ER, 35 K, 11 BB
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 12:07:43 pm »
It's called having a #9 hitter.

2017 was an aberration in that spot.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 01:16:06 pm »
Greinke career vs NYY:

At old Yankee Stadium:

At new Yankee Stadium:

Thanks for crunching the numbers Phillips had mentioned. As I said, it may be good fortune that Grienke gets to go game 1 rather than game 3.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 02:21:41 pm »
What is the expected Yankees rotation? A cursory google search didn't reveal anything to me.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 02:30:16 pm »
AJ says Peacock likely to be on the ALCS roster.

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 02:35:07 pm »
What is the expected Yankees rotation? A cursory google search didn't reveal anything to me.
Top 3 will probably be the same as the Division Series which had, Paxton, Tanaka and Severino. I got nothing but wild guesses after that. Maybe someone else has a better handle on it.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 02:38:37 pm »

AJ was just lamenting on the press conference that he won't know their final roster or start until tomorrow morning.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2019, 02:38:45 pm »
Greinke career vs NYY:

At old Yankee Stadium:

At new Yankee Stadium:

Useless information.  Nearly all of that was from his time with the Royals, a decade ago and more.  His last bad outing against them was in 2011 when he was a Brewer.

In 2013 he went 7 and gave up 2.  In 2016 he went 7 and gave up 3.

This year he had the game in New York but also a game in Arizona in April.  7+ IP, 1ER. 
Goin' for a bus ride.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2019, 06:28:44 pm »

Top 3 will probably be the same as the Division Series which had, Paxton, Tanaka and Severino. I got nothing but wild guesses after that. Maybe someone else has a better handle on it.

Boone says it will be Tanaka, Paxton and Severino.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2019, 11:12:16 am »
Abreau and Peacock on the roster, Miley off.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2019, 11:17:24 am »
Abreau and Peacock on the roster, Miley off.

and Straw

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2019, 11:33:08 am »
Miley's collapse has hamstrung this team in more ways than one.  I'm disappointed they won't have Straw for a pinch running opportunity, and I have to believe they could have easily kept him and gone with an 8-man pen had they a competent 4th starter.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2019, 12:25:51 pm »
Miley's collapse has hamstrung this team in more ways than one.  I'm disappointed they won't have Straw for a pinch running opportunity, and I have to believe they could have easily kept him and gone with an 8-man pen had they a competent 4th starter.

Do not think I agree. The move was to get more RHP for NYY. Miley, good or bad, is LH.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2019, 12:33:46 pm »
Do not think I agree. The move was to get more RHP for NYY. Miley, good or bad, is LH.

I understand why they replaced Miley with a righthander now, but I still think if Miley had still been pitching well he'd be the starter for Game 4 and they would not have needed to swap Straw for Abreu.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2019, 12:58:21 pm »
I understand why they replaced Miley with a righthander now, but I still think if Miley had still been pitching well he'd be the starter for Game 4 and they would not have needed to swap Straw for Abreu.

They would have had the same need for RHP in the pen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2019, 01:01:53 pm »
They would have had the same need for RHP in the pen.

My thought was that they wouldn't need as many guys in the pen.  And you could easily swap out Rondon if you wanted Peacock, for example. 

Moot point now though. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2019, 01:04:22 pm »
My thought was that they wouldn't need as many guys in the pen.  And you could easily swap out Rondon if you wanted Peacock, for example. 

Moot point now though.

Swap a RHP for a RHP? Come on.