Author Topic: ESPN article about Charlie Morton - 27 Aug 19  (Read 1459 times)

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
ESPN article about Charlie Morton - 27 Aug 19
« on: August 29, 2019, 08:43:05 pm »
A good read!  The last two paragraphs give a glimpse of what's special about the Astros.

It's a wonderful sequel to this thread.
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Re: ESPN article about Charlie Morton - 27 Aug 19
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 09:03:11 pm »
and we kicked his butt on Tuesday

I love Charlie Morton and what he did in Houston, but I do not want him to beat the Astros. Houston made him the pitcher he is today.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 10:23:07 pm by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 11:03:39 pm »
and we kicked his butt on Tuesday

I love Charlie Morton and what he did in Houston, but I do not want him to beat the Astros. Houston made him the pitcher he is today.

Literally, a whooping, but it is a great story, worth retelling.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 06:11:23 am »
Literally, a whooping, but it is a great story, worth retelling.

Familiar story, which has been told many times by many writers. This is ESPN’s version of it. Maybe you are seeing it for the first time. Astros fans and many other baseball fans know this organization unleashed CFM’s talent and made him the pitcher he is today. His taking the money and leaving for Tampa is understandable but, for me, was a bit disillusioning. Morton said early and often either he would retire at the end of his Astros contract because nothing could ever be as good or if he played, he wanted to be in Houston. I understand the financial and family reasons he went to Tampa, and I understand the reason Houston made only a one year offer, but my reaction to his signing with the Rays as a FA, was “Oh no, Charlie. Money? Not you too. I thought you were different.” I am glad to read his classy characterizationof the Astros’ contract offer and his frank and correct acknowledgement of the risk the Astros took when Houston signed him. I am happy he is not angry or bitter about the negotiations. He is a great pitcher and a better person, and I wishe he had stayed. That said, now I want Houston to beat him, and I enjoyed the game this week.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 07:25:38 am »
Familiar story, which has been told many times by many writers. This is ESPN’s version of it. Maybe you are seeing it for the first time.... I am happy he is not angry or bitter about the negotiations. He is a great pitcher and a better person, and I wishe he had stayed. That said, now I want Houston to beat him, and I enjoyed the game this week.

Well said, and agree, Coach.  But this is a "sequel" and I am glad it has been written.

The ESPN article gives Charlies' story after his time @ Houston.  It's a preview.  We, Astros fans, are going to have to get used to facing other "Chariles" that have been transformed by their time with Houston.  Cole will be next. 

The human side of baseball came out at the end of the article, w/ the invitation from six Astros @ the AS game to join in a group photo:

"Come on over, Chuck!" the Astros squad hollered.

He did! 

He knows he had better look out when he's on the mound - and our hitters will be facing his best stuff  - but the rest of the time he will be tracked on the ex-Astros thread.