Author Topic: Cristian Javier  (Read 2130 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Cristian Javier
« on: August 26, 2019, 10:23:58 am »
He pitched really well last night (6IP, 2H, 0R, 2BB, 8K), then James and McCurry torpedoed his win.

What do you Bus Riders say about him?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Cristian Javier
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:47:22 am »
He pitched really well last night (6IP, 2H, 0R, 2BB, 8K), then James and McCurry torpedoed his win.

What do you Bus Riders say about him?

The Astros have had him slowly but surely climb the ladder until this year.  He started the year at high-A Fayetteville.  His stuff has never been considered more than just pretty good.  Any non-internet reports I've ever seen doubted a bit whether he'd develop into a mlb starting pitcher.  That info is old though.  How hard was he throwing his fastball?
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 11:03:24 am »
The Astros have had him slowly but surely climb the ladder until this year.  He started the year at high-A Fayetteville.  His stuff has never been considered more than just pretty good.  Any non-internet reports I've ever seen doubted a bit whether he'd develop into a mlb starting pitcher.  That info is old though.  How hard was he throwing his fastball?

Was sitting in the Home Run Porch and could not see the gun numbers. The Athletic just posted an article about him.

Was BR, not The Athletic. Did not mention velocity.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:07:56 am by JimR »

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 11:04:41 am »
Astrosfuture rates him 11th in the org. Whitley, Abreu, Bielak and Ivey ranked higher among their pitchers.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:07:49 am by juliogotay »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 11:18:15 am »
BR called him #10 prospect.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 11:25:50 am »
BR called him #10 prospect.
more from astrosfuture
Javier has posted great numbers during his minor league career, and has done so with solid but not great stuff. After a 2.70 ERA last year between A/A+, he has made it up to AA this season. Overall in 2019 he has a 1.87 ERA with 123 K in 86.2 innings. While the stuff he possesses isn’t elite, he has consistently put up good numbers thanks to high spin rates and solid breaking balls. If he finishes this way in AA this season, he will continue to rise.

2019 Stats: 20 G, 1.87 ERA, 86.2 IP, 40 H, 46 BB, 123 K, 12.8 K/9

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 11:49:58 am »

Mike texted “consistently 95.”

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 11:54:16 am »
Mike texted “consistently 95.”

Consistently would be higher that expected.  Consistently 95 is not an average fastball.  I was under the impression he was more consistently 91-92 and sometimes hitting 95.  If he's found or developed something this year then his stock should be seen higher than what those rankings websites report.  His off-speed stuff is good enough that playing off 95 regularly would mean to me he could lock up a starting job in the not too distant future.  That assumes he throws enough strikes.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 11:57:14 am »
Consistently would be higher that expected.  Consistently 95 is not an average fastball.  I was under the impression he was more consistently 91-92 and sometimes hitting 95.  If he's found or developed something this year then his stock should be seen higher than what those rankings websites report.  His off-speed stuff is good enough that playing off 95 regularly would mean to me he could lock up a starting job in the not too distant future.  That assumes he throws enough strikes.

Good control last night with all his stuff. I could not see the numbers but am reporting the answer to my question.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 12:03:36 pm »
Good control last night with all his stuff. I could not see the numbers but am reporting the answer to my question.

I probably should have added and he has to hit the corners and his spots.... like all mlb pitchers must.
Goin' for a bus ride.