Author Topic: Lunch today  (Read 14680 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Lunch today
« on: August 16, 2019, 11:55:56 am »
So normally, Fridays are a road trip, we eat lunch off campus.  But for some reason I decided to stay in today.  So I go down to the building cafeteria, and guess what the daily lunch special is?  That's right...Frito Pie.  Well, you didn't have to tell me twice, brother.  The boys are in a funk and need all the help they can get.  Frito pie and a Big Red.  I think things are on the upswing!
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: Lunch today
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 12:02:27 pm »
well played
forever is composed entirely of nows

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 12:29:34 pm »
Good man.

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 01:16:29 pm »
I read the gamezone as a recap from last night during lunch so I'm hoping the BBG's will think that was sacrifice enough.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 01:25:23 pm »
Your corporate cafeteria has Big Red?  Color me impressed.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 04:28:13 pm »
Your corporate cafeteria has Big Red?  Color me impressed.

It’s pretty impressive. The deli is open 24/7/365 for grab n go items too.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 08:10:08 am »
So normally, Fridays are a road trip, we eat lunch off campus.  But for some reason I decided to stay in today.  So I go down to the building cafeteria, and guess what the daily lunch special is?  That's right...Frito Pie.  Well, you didn't have to tell me twice, brother.  The boys are in a funk and need all the help they can get.  Frito pie and a Big Red.  I think things are on the upswing!

The funk is deeper than we thought if your lunch did not pull them out of it. Last night’s game, I hope, was rock bottom.

Amazing how quickly fortunes change. After Greinke beat CWS, and we were waiting on Cole and the second DH game, I had the totally crazy thought this team might not lose another game. Now look at the mess one little tight hamstring caused.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 08:24:20 am »
The funk is deeper than we thought if your lunch did not pull them out of it. Last night’s game, I hope, was rock bottom.

Amazing how quickly fortunes change. After Greinke beat CWS, and we were waiting on Cole and the second DH game, I had the totally crazy thought this team might not lose another game. Now look at the mess one little tight hamstring caused.

Cleveland is playing as well as anybody right now, and I expect them to overtake Minnesota for the Central title. The #2-#3 ALDS series is going to be a bloodbath, and I would rather that the Astros weren't part of it. To that end, it would be nice if they broke out of their funk TODAY and resumed the chase for the #1 seed.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 08:38:50 am »

Last night was one of those nights.  They pitched well, but the offense just couldn't come up with the big hit.  It happens.  The disturbing part to me is the games where the offense explodes for 15 hits, and 8 or 9 runs, and they still lose.  The pitching didn't have to be great, or even good.  It really didn't even need to be mediocre.  It just couldn't be awful.  It was.  The defense didn't have to be stellar, they just couldn't stomp their dicks on routine plays.  They did.  Today or tomorrow is as must a win as you can have in August.  They need a split so they don't lose ground in Oakland, but they absolutely cannot get swept.  That's losing four games in the standings.  Even one win will cut that to a 2-game swing.  They are tired.  They are in the middle of a long, continuous road trip that takes them east coast to west coast, while their opponents are well rested.  They are hurt.  They're losing Cole for at least two starts, and possibly more.  It's nut cutting time.  Time to show what you're made of. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:41:21 am by HudsonHawk »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 09:29:39 am »
Last night was one of those nights.  They pitched well, but the offense just couldn't come up with the big hit.  It happens.  The disturbing part to me is the games where the offense explodes for 15 hits, and 8 or 9 runs, and they still lose.  The pitching didn't have to be great, or even good.  It really didn't even need to be mediocre.  It just couldn't be awful.  It was.  The defense didn't have to be stellar, they just couldn't stomp their dicks on routine plays.  They did.  Today or tomorrow is as must a win as you can have in August.  They need a split so they don't lose ground in Oakland, but they absolutely cannot get swept.  That's losing four games in the standings.  Even one win will cut that to a 2-game swing.  They are tired.  They are in the middle of a long, continuous road trip that takes them east coast to west coast, while their opponents are well rested.  They are hurt.  They're losing Cole for at least two starts, and possibly more.  It's nut cutting time.  Time to show what you're made of.

Totally agree.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 01:56:10 pm »
Don't know where else to put this, but I need to get it off my chest: RF in Yankee Stadium is a total fucking joke.

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 02:45:06 pm »
Don't know where else to put this, but I need to get it off my chest: RF in Yankee Stadium is a total fucking joke.

I don't think Yankee Stadium HAS a RF.  I think there may have been plans for it, but then ownership decided they would rather have more seats there.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 04:07:18 pm »

Just remember that the Polo Grounds was 285 down the lines.

And 480+ to dead center.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 06:00:16 pm »
I couldn't swing Frito pie today,  but I did try the new spicy chicken sandwich from popeyes.

I'm not saying it's the reason the Astros won,  but I an willing to do more research.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 06:05:58 pm »
I couldn't swing Frito pie today,  but I did try the new spicy chicken sandwich from popeyes.

I just tried one for lunch and I’m considering another for dinner. Popeyes is going to take over the world with that sandwich.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 08:39:57 pm »
I just tried one for lunch and I’m considering another for dinner. Popeyes is going to take over the world with that sandwich.

And yet, Chick-fil-A drive-thru lines extend out onto highway access roads.

There is something wrong with this country.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 09:40:01 pm »

Not today they don't.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 11:12:37 pm »
Not today they don't.

Aaaaaa-zing!
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 07:50:44 am »

There is something wrong with this country.

No kidding. Every time I (infrequently) go there, I find myself asking my girls what all the fuss is about.

Popeyes, on the other hand, is as close to nirvana here in earth as you’ll come.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 08:26:53 am »
No kidding. Every time I (infrequently) go there, I find myself asking my girls what all the fuss is about.

Popeyes, on the other hand, is as close to nirvana here in earth as you’ll come.

CFA does an outstanding job of training customer service.  I have tasted better food in other fast food places but I have never had better service than I have had in CFAs.  The service impacts how people feel about the food.
Always ready to go to a game.

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 08:40:21 am »
CFA does an outstanding job of training customer service.  I have tasted better food in other fast food places but I have never had better service than I have had in CFAs.  The service impacts how people feel about the food.
I don't know about other areas, but the CFA's in the Beaumont area are clean and service is excellent. They won me when my kids were young and I pulled into the CFA parking lot just as it started raining. My youngest was still in a car seat. I jumped out of the car and was working to get the car seat out when an umbrella went over me sheilding me from the rain. A gentleman had walked out to help. He walked me into the CFA and then I noticed his name tag. He was the manager. I thanked him and he went back to the parking lot to walk someone else in. That's not ordinary fast food service.

Popeye's restaurants on the other hand around here are just nasty.  Is it really that hard to do some basic cleaning?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:46:23 am by TeeJoe »

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 08:48:34 am »
Popeyes are very inconsistent from one store to the next. The one in NB sucks but the one in Austin on Riverside is pretty good.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 08:49:48 am »
love popeyes,  but they need more in Austin..   have to drive miles  to the closest one.   oddly  the one who used to be nearest to me burned and is now a southern maid donut store... I guess you call this a win loose.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 09:11:19 am »
I cannot abide Popeye's.  In fact, I find it particularly distasteful.  If I want fried chicken, it's Frenchy's or nothing.  On the other hand, I love CFA's chicken sammich.  And their waffle fries...I'm all about the surface area to mass ratio. 

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 09:40:54 am »
I cannot abide Popeye's.  In fact, I find it particularly distasteful.  If I want fried chicken, it's Frenchy's or nothing.  On the other hand, I love CFA's chicken sammich.  And their waffle fries...I'm all about the surface area to mass ratio. 

You should join Neil and I when we go to lunch there.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 09:43:22 am »

CFA spicy deluxe is a great cheap sammich.  Only problem with their fries is if you get them to go they turn soggy in the box within about 3 blocks of the drive thru.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 10:10:39 am »

I"m with you on this. Except for the Frenchy's part. I haven't tried one. I'll be on the lookout.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2019, 10:43:55 am »
You should join Neil and I when we go to lunch there.

You should invite me.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2019, 10:56:05 am »
Frenchy's is so much better than the best Popeye's I've had. Babe's Chicken is the best sit down and eat fried chicken in the state.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2019, 10:59:13 am »

Their customer service history story is interesting.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2019, 10:59:50 am »
CFA wins on customer service and overall presentation, no doubt.  An acquaintance of my wife's was trying to start a CFA franchise and corporate has some really strict requirements for would-be franchisees.  They won't let just anyone start one up because they want the experience to be consistent.  That's why every CFA you walk into is well kept.

But they've become victims of their own success.  They reacted with some streamlining to their drive-thru operation, and at first you'd get through in 5-10 minutes even if the lines were long.  But based on my last few experiences I think they've reached the limit on how effective it is without a larger kitchen and more real estate.  I had to drive down MLK during the lunch hour a few months ago and the lines of cars waiting to turn into the CFA between Guadalupe and Lamar were fucking up traffic for everyone.  No fast food is worth that.

Plus, the people at CFA are too nice and perky.  I'd rather go to Wendy's or Popeye's and get a better chicken sandwich, a shorter wait, and interact with someone whose pleasure it most certainly is not.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2019, 11:08:48 am »
CFA wins on customer service and overall presentation, no doubt.  An acquaintance of my wife's was trying to start a CFA franchise and corporate has some really strict requirements for would-be franchisees.  They won't let just anyone start one up because they want the experience to be consistent.  That's why every CFA you walk into is well kept.

But they've become victims of their own success.  They reacted with some streamlining to their drive-thru operation, and at first you'd get through in 5-10 minutes even if the lines were long.  But based on my last few experiences I think they've reached the limit on how effective it is without a larger kitchen and more real estate.  I had to drive down MLK during the lunch hour a few months ago and the lines of cars waiting to turn into the CFA between Guadalupe and Lamar were fucking up traffic for everyone.  No fast food is worth that.

Plus, the people at CFA are too nice and perky.  I'd rather go to Wendy's or Popeye's and get a better chicken sandwich, a shorter wait, and interact with someone whose pleasure it most certainly is not.

In the '80s I talked to CFA about a franchise. Except they didn't really franchise, and may not still, but they do partnerships. It is a concept that has worked for them and I believe keeps their product and their operational quality up. Go into a Burger King, for instance, and you don't know what you are going to get. Some are ok, some are filthy (BK). The CFA concept has the business operator on duty, hands-on, wearing a CFA uniform about a zillion hours a week. I didn't want that for myself. But it works to their advantage.

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 11:09:40 am »
Their customer service history story is interesting.

What's the story?
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 11:13:17 am »
I'm not a big fan of drive-throughs in general. There is a five times better chance they will fuck up your order going through the drive-through compared to walking up to the counter to order. Even Whataburger. And it's always to your disadvantage. You always get shorted, you never get extra food...

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 11:19:05 am »
The other benefit with going inside at a fast food place is you get to see how unhealthy, drowntrodden, and defeated the people preparing your meal are, which will discourage return trips. And fewer carbon emissions (woohoo).

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 11:35:16 am »
I'm not a big fan of drive-throughs in general. There is a five times better chance they will fuck up your order going through the drive-through compared to walking up to the counter to order. Even Whataburger. And it's always to your disadvantage. You always get shorted, you never get extra food...
You knew this was coming...

https://youtu.be/um30Lbu6-nc

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 11:41:47 am »
one  word  lucys    chicken

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 12:30:12 pm »

In addition to those valid points, I find I can often save time by parking and walking in instead of waiting for four or five cars ahead of me in the drive-thru.  Some folks don't care how long it takes as long as they don't have to get out of their car.

In Austin, I think the CFA on South Mopac is excellent, but it's hard to get to if you're southbound.  The CFA at Research & Braker is impossible to get in and out of, regardless of whether you're parking or going drive-thru.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 12:37:23 pm »
What's the story?

The creator stayed at, I think the Waldorf in New York, (wherever it was it was a high end hotel) and was struck by the service they provided.  He also thought it was great that whenever he said thank you, they always replied "my pleasure."  He thought there was no reason why his stores couldn't do the same. 
Goin' for a bus ride.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2019, 01:47:41 pm »
Babe's Chicken is the best sit down and eat fried chicken in the state.

My vote is for Himalaya.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2019, 02:02:24 pm »
CFA spicy deluxe is a great cheap sammich.  Only problem with their fries is if you get them to go they turn soggy in the box within about 3 blocks of the drive thru.

I was recently told that you can order the fries "extra well done" and they'll fry them longer so they're actually crispy.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2019, 02:04:57 pm »
My vote is for Himalaya.

I've been there just not for fried chicken.  I'll have to find time for another visit.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2019, 02:29:58 pm »
I cannot abide Popeye's.  In fact, I find it particularly distasteful.

You know, I hear that sometimes.  Not often but sometimes.  I like all fried chicken, even that neutrino-fired stuff Banquet puts in a TV Dinner.  But, there is just something about a 3-piece spicy with a side of red beans & rice and a side of mashed potatoes with that jalapeno gravy sludge that makes a bad day good or a good day great.  No other place does that for me.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2019, 02:34:36 pm »
You know, I hear that sometimes.  Not often but sometimes.  I like all fried chicken, even that neutrino-fired stuff Banquet puts in a TV Dinner.  But, there is just something about a 3-piece spicy with a side of red beans & rice and a side of mashed potatoes with that jalapeno gravy sludge that makes a bad day good or a good day great.  No other place does that for me.

I like Popeye’s also.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2019, 02:37:25 pm »
For some reason, I've always enjoyed the fried chicken at most Chinese restaurants.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2019, 02:44:38 pm »

Amen.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2019, 02:55:07 pm »
My vote is for Himalaya.
That looks really good. i might have to try it next time I'm in town.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2019, 05:14:39 pm »
For fried chicken in this area: Bojangles beats Popeyes IMO.  Also a fan of the Publix friend chicken.

For tenders - like Fosackly's (Mobile area chain).  Puts Zaxby's to shame.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2019, 05:53:02 pm »
For fried chicken in this area: Bojangles beats Popeyes IMO.  Also a fan of the Publix friend chicken.

For tenders - like Fosackly's (Mobile area chain).  Puts Zaxby's to shame.

Bojangles has excellent chicken biscuits.  I used to get one there a couple times a week. 

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2019, 05:56:07 pm »
I was recently told that you can order the fries "extra well done" and they'll fry them longer so they're actually crispy.

You, sir, have now changed my outlook on things.

Chicken Express now has spicy tenders...you can get 4 ala carte with 4 rolls for ~$5.  Make little sammiches, great road trip food.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2019, 06:16:11 pm »
That looks really good. i might have to try it next time I'm in town.
I've been there just not for fried chicken.  I'll have to find time for another visit.

All fried chicken is good, but if I set out with a specific hankering for it, either Frenchy's or Himalaya is my destination.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2019, 06:51:33 pm »

Also a fan of the Publix friend chicken.

Surprisingly good for a grocery store. The spicy fried chicken wings are deadly.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Lunch today
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2019, 07:04:04 pm »
Good Popeye's is really good. Something other than Good Popeye's is not. My experience is that Popeye's is wildly inconsistent even in the same store. Any time you visit, you are playing Chicken Roulette. 
E come vivo? Vivo.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 08:10:26 pm »
I like Popeye’s also.
No one has mentioned it, but I like the shrimp from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 09:16:11 pm »
Good Popeye's is really good. Something other than Good Popeye's is not. My experience is that Popeye's is wildly inconsistent even in the same store. Any time you visit, you are playing Chicken Roulette.

Which itself is superior to the other kinds of roulette.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 10:15:42 pm »
Which itself is superior to the other kinds of roulette.

Depends on the chicken.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2019, 10:18:15 pm »
Depends on the chicken.

Honestly I'm too chicken for most of the roulettes.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2019, 10:32:04 pm »
Me too, no clucking way.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2019, 07:17:42 am »
Honestly I'm too chicken for most of the roulettes.

Don't have enough pluck to be down with that?

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2019, 07:52:39 am »
Don't have enough pluck to be down with that?

Yeah. I try to get my courage up, but I inevitably quail.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2019, 07:54:05 am »
All fried chicken is good, but if I set out with a specific hankering for it, either Frenchy's or Himalaya is my destination.

Oh I disagree. Unseasoned fried chicken is awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2019, 07:56:52 am »
Oh I disagree. Unseasoned fried chicken is awful.

That's a thing?  Disgusting.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 08:00:26 am »
Yeah. I try to get my courage up, but I inevitably quail.
Ain't enuff scratch in the world to get me to peck at it.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2019, 11:30:08 am »
Growing up in Corpus we had a small local business called Shep's Chicken Shack. Their fried chicken was awesome. To this day I haven't had anything better but you can't buy it outside of Corpus. At one time there must have been a Chicken Shack in Waco because I remember their signage off of the interstate.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 11:34:00 am »
Austin currently has a food truck and a brick and mortar of a Nashville Hot Chicken restaurant called Tumble22. I've eaten there probably 6 times in the last year, and it is absolutely amazing. If not the best fried chicken I've ever had, it's pretty damn close.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 11:43:29 am »
Growing up in Corpus we had a small local business called Shep's Chicken Shack. Their fried chicken was awesome. To this day I haven't had anything better but you can't buy it outside of Corpus. At one time there must have been a Chicken Shack in Waco because I remember their signage off of the interstate.

There was a place called Leslie's Chicken Shack in Waco (long before my time here) that is still revered by the locals (though it has long since closed). No idea if it was connected to Shep's.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 11:54:33 am »

Speaking of chicken in Corpus, Vietnam Restaurant on Water Street is a superb restaurant. Their roasted chicken is one of the best I've ever had (and their salt and pepper fried chicken is really good too). I've been several times and everything I've ordered there was outstanding.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Lunch today
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 12:13:19 pm »
Leslie's was located in far east Waco on the Old Dallas Highway Route 77 before the interstate was built. There was another location on Valley Mills Drive in the southwestern part of Waco. It was owned for a time by a family named Smith. One of the sons was a classmate of mine. He was called Chicken Smith by one and all.
Very good chicken.   
E come vivo? Vivo.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2019, 12:16:45 pm »
Speaking of meat, restaurants, and cities in Texas: has anybody been to Blood Bros? It made the latest edition of Bon Appetit, and Mrs banedoodle and I are planning a trip to Houston next year.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2019, 12:36:24 pm »

We had 2 Shep's Little Chicken Shacks in Galveston as I was growing up. One on 23rd by O'Connell High School and one on 61st near S. I've never had fried anything as good as the stuff they made...all fried!! Chicken, livers, gizzards, shrimp, clams, even the biscuits were fried. I still dream of that place.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2019, 12:39:56 pm »
Speaking of chicken in Corpus, Vietnam Restaurant on Water Street is a superb restaurant. Their roasted chicken is one of the best I've ever had (and their salt and pepper fried chicken is really good too). I've been several times and everything I've ordered there was outstanding.

Vietnam is an excellent restaurant. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2019, 12:41:23 pm »
There was a place called Leslie's Chicken Shack in Waco (long before my time here) that is still revered by the locals (though it has long since closed). No idea if it was connected to Shep's.

Yes. There is a connection although I'm not sure what it was. Same recipe for the chicken. I used to see their sign when in Waco.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2019, 01:23:21 pm »
if in any alternate universe or being totally lost you end up in Many,La.  (near Zwolle) go to Country boy. Yes it is a dive but it has the best fried chicken ever and not to start a new argument the cat fish is better than Shrimp and stuff in Galveston.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2019, 01:38:08 pm »

Ate at Leslie’s in Waco many times. There was one in Austin too when I was a kid, but the Waco location lasted much longer.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2019, 10:18:45 pm »
Bun B says there is a new chicken sandwich in town: https://twitter.com/bunbtrillog/status/1163958770940174337?s=21

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2019, 10:26:15 pm »
Ate at Leslie’s in Waco many times. There was one in Austin too when I was a kid, but the Waco location lasted much longer.
I ate at the Waco one a few times too back in the late 70s. Honey at every table.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2019, 03:03:13 pm »
Austin currently has a food truck and a brick and mortar of a Nashville Hot Chicken restaurant called Tumble22. I've eaten there probably 6 times in the last year, and it is absolutely amazing. If not the best fried chicken I've ever had, it's pretty damn close.

My current favorite meal in Austin. I typically eat there at least every 2-3 weeks.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2019, 03:54:44 pm »
My current favorite meal in Austin. I typically eat there at least every 2-3 weeks.

I do not eat there enough.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2019, 09:35:30 am »

That's right near my daughters' house in Allandale. I'll have to try it.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2019, 10:54:47 am »
AL.com had a guy do a review of the CFA vs Popeye's sandwich.  Pretty good read.

But comparing Chick-fil-A to Popeye’s is kind of like comparing Steely Dan to Funkadelic. Inherently problematic.

Concept and culinary wise, Georgia-founded Chick-fil-A exudes, for a fast-food franchise, a streamlined, sophisticated vibe softened with “my pleasure”-punctuated customer-service. Popeye’s is endearingly funky. Everything about it. The food, the look, the service. A natural, given Popeye’s Louisiana origins and Louisiana-influenced menu.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2019, 12:33:45 pm »

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2019, 07:09:57 pm »
Chick-fil-A  is John Denver.  Popeye's is George Clinton.  Got it.

More like one of the Osmonds, I would have thought.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2019, 06:12:20 am »
Tried to get a Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich from one of the local shops. The drive-thru line was insane so i parked and went in. Stood in line for 10 minutes before the person behind the counter announced that they had no more chicken sandwiches. If I'm working this hard then it better be one charming motherfucking chicken sandwich.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2019, 09:38:19 am »
Tried to get a Popeye's spicy chicken sandwich from one of the local shops. The drive-thru line was insane so i parked and went in. Stood in line for 10 minutes before the person behind the counter announced that they had no more chicken sandwiches. If I'm working this hard then it better be one charming motherfucking chicken sandwich.

Ha.
https://twitter.com/roywoodjr/status/1164365052578676736?s=21

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2019, 12:09:03 pm »

Finally checked this place out Sunday before last.  Liked the tenders but will definitely be going back for one of those obscenely huge sandwiches.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2019, 03:50:35 pm »
Finally checked this place out Sunday before last.  Liked the tenders but will definitely be going back for one of those obscenely huge sandwiches.

To your taste buds, you're welcome.

To your belt, my condolences.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2019, 05:26:44 pm »
I'm not going to watch the game tonight, Instead i'll listen to the radio while fishing.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2019, 05:37:39 pm »
I'm not going to watch the game tonight, Instead i'll listen to the radio while fishing.

Haven't seen any fishing reports lately, have you been catching?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2019, 06:22:49 pm »
Haven't seen any fishing reports lately, have you been catching?
I’ve been installing new floor at the townhome in Austin most of this month so I haven’t done much fishing lately.  I’m kind of a lazy worker when I  employ myself so it’s only about half done. When I fish in the river I almost always catch a fish.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2019, 06:12:37 am »
I’ve been installing new floor at the townhome in Austin most of this month so I haven’t done much fishing lately.  I’m kind of a lazy worker when I  employ myself so it’s only about half done. When I fish in the river I almost always catch a fish.

These are catfish of the eating kind, right?  What size are they, I believe they grow pretty big.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2019, 07:40:21 am »
These are catfish of the eating kind, right?  What size are they, I believe they grow pretty big.
Catfish and largemouth bass. The catfish I catch are usually less than 3 pounds (1.3 Kg), I've caught as big as 17 (7.7 Kg). They are good eating when fried but I usually just allow them to go gently back in the water.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2019, 10:02:11 am »
I love catfish.  For a time in my life I thought  that was the only kind of fish and  the only way to cook it was  by frying.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2019, 01:57:36 pm »
Catfish and largemouth bass. The catfish I catch are usually less than 3 pounds (1.3 Kg), I've caught as big as 17 (7.7 Kg). They are good eating when fried but I usually just allow them to go gently back in the water.
Yep, keep the yellows, throw back the channels and blues

Here's what you're looking for: 

https://i.postimg.cc/nzK0SDrn/fish3.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Wzjfs7CD/fish1.jpg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:59:19 pm by Lefty »

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2019, 02:38:13 pm »
Yep, keep the yellows, throw back the channels and blues

Here's what you're looking for: 

https://i.postimg.cc/nzK0SDrn/fish3.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Wzjfs7CD/fish1.jpg
Thanks. I don't cook catfish very often. When I do I tend I just to cook what ever I just caught. To me they all taste pretty good but I hate the mess deep frying at home makes. Also there is a very good catfish restaurant, Clear Springs, nearby.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2019, 04:14:08 pm »
Thanks. I don't cook catfish very often. When I do I tend I just to cook what ever I just caught. To me they all taste pretty good but I hate the mess deep frying at home makes. Also there is a very good catfish restaurant, Clear Springs, nearby.
You can always just skin them and fillet them, pan fry or grill or bake or whatever (Pontchartrain sauce!).  Blues are good to fry, yellows are too tasty to fry.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2019, 07:57:52 am »

I ate catfish a few times when I was in the US, I thought it was pretty nice, it has a very subtle taste as I remember.  I actually prefer saltwater fish, we have a lot of mighty fine seafood down here.  I would definitely go out for those big guys, love the sound of the drag screaming.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2019, 08:29:02 am »
I actually prefer saltwater fish, we have a lot of mighty fine seafood down here.
That you do, and so do I. I’ve never seen barramundi anywhere else. I liked the Moreton Bay bugs, too.
Up in the Air

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2019, 10:35:32 am »
I not only prefer salt water fish, I prefer fresh cold water fish as well. I eat a lot of Salmon. Prefer wild caught Pacific salmon. Also like Steelhead Cod and Halibut. That's not to say I don't like freshwater or warm water fish, just prefer the fish caught in colder waters. Don't care much for the reconstituted dried cod dishes that are popular in Portugal and other places.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2019, 11:35:47 am »
I not only prefer salt water fish, I prefer fresh cold water fish as well. I eat a lot of Salmon. Prefer wild caught Pacific salmon. Also like Steelhead Cod and Halibut. That's not to say I don't like freshwater or warm water fish, just prefer the fish caught in colder waters. Don't care much for the reconstituted dried cod dishes that are popular in Portugal and other places.
Same, I eat a ton of salmon and yellowtail tuna.  I make exceptions to my cold-water fish preference for Gulf flounder, redfish, dorado/mahi mahi/dolfin and red snapper.

I'll basically eat anything but farmed fish.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2019, 01:32:47 pm »
Same, I eat a ton of salmon and yellowtail tuna.  I make exceptions to my cold-water fish preference for Gulf flounder, redfish, dorado/mahi mahi/dolfin and red snapper.

Because of taste?  Ecological impact?  Bioethics?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2019, 01:57:29 pm »

Large predatory fish (tuna, swordfish, shark, etc) are fine to eat, but should be eaten in moderation. Toxins, particularly metals, bioaccumulate and therefore at the highest levels in these type fish.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2019, 06:07:08 pm »
Lately I've been eating mullet every chance I get. I never understood why it's considered a trash fish; the filets are beautiful. Although it doesn't get much respect here, either. It's called 'bobo,' which means stupid.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2019, 07:12:44 pm »
That you do, and so do I. I’ve never seen barramundi anywhere else. I liked the Moreton Bay bugs, too.
There is a lot of barra on the domestic market that is farmed in Asia, I can’t pick any difference between farmed and wild caught.  Barra is pretty nice to eat but better to catch, I think most folks would rate it mid-tier?  Morton Bay bugs are great, if I had to pick a last meal, it would be a big juicy sirloin steak with a bug (or two) on top, smothered in a creamy garlic sauce.

I guess taste it is a pretty individual thing, we are pretty lucky that we have a lot of cod, groper and sea perch varieties you can catch.  Can be expensive to buy, some of the prized fish are up to $80 per kg.  I catch a lot more than I buy.

Lately I've been eating mullet every chance I get. I never understood why it's considered a trash fish; the filets are beautiful. Although it doesn't get much respect here, either. It's called 'bobo,' which means stupid.
Mullet is a fish some people say tastes too fishy.  I like them grilled, they are a bit oily to begin with so I think frying them is a mistake.  We don't eat a lot of mullet because there are so may demersal species that are a lot better. I take we are talking about similar fish?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2019, 08:41:11 pm »
I'm sure we are. It's this, more or less:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_(fish)

When I was a kid you could catch all of these you wanted off of any pier in Texas. No one ate them, they were used solely for bait. The ones here have a yellowish hue to them. I like trying all sorts of unusual fish and I usually find that I can do something good with fish most people don't value.

I used to go fishing in the Bahamas all the time and the prized catch was yellowtail snapper. We were on a boat that was unofficially commercial. We'd bring back the catch and sell it to a local market. So I never ended up with yellowtail, which was fine with me. Pompano, margate, even blue runners. I'll find a way to eat any fish.

And if some idiot wanted to charge me $160 per pound for fish, you can bet I'd be in my kayak catching them, too. I went to the fish market today and I bought three kinds of fish including red snapper and I'm pretty sure I didn't pay more than $2.50 a pound for anything.

I remember the Australian fish markets and how the naming of the various varieties is strictly controlled. Here you get bobo.

That reminds me, have I ever mentioned to you goons that I have a species of animal named after me? I do, and I am inordinately proud of it. A close friend is an Australian marine parasitologist, and in his doctoral research he discovered a previously unknown parasite, ugly, angry and highly invasive, thought of me for some reason, and was kind enough to bestow it my name. Benedenia fieldsi.
Y todo lo que sube baja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2019, 08:45:33 pm »
A close friend is an Australian marine parasitologist, and in his doctoral research he discovered a previously unknown parasite, ugly, angry and highly invasive, thought of me for some reason, and was kind enough to bestow it my name. Benedenia fieldsi.

"Schlongus gorvellus" was taken?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2019, 09:04:57 pm »
"Schlongus gorvellus" was taken?

As was Talus grabberus.

I mean, what are you going to do? Science.
Y todo lo que sube baja

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2019, 10:47:57 pm »
Mullet is a delicacy on the west coast of Florida. It’s usually smoked.  A smoked mullet spread is very popular in many of the bars and restaurants in the Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2019, 01:43:38 am »
Speaking of fish most folks consider trash - my Cajun grandmother used to cook the most delicious gar roast. She would get it only occasionally and season and stuff it with garlic and peppers, sear it on all sides and cook it like a pot roast.

Just like this:  https://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipe/garfish-roast/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:45:54 am by astrojo »

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2019, 09:18:22 am »
I'm sure we are. It's this, more or less:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_(fish)

When I was a kid you could catch all of these you wanted off of any pier in Texas. No one ate them, they were used solely for bait. The ones here have a yellowish hue to them. I like trying all sorts of unusual fish and I usually find that I can do something good with fish most people don't value.
I'm a coonass so I'll try to eat most anything. I've tried mullet. It's mushy with a strong pungent smell and flavor. I don't like it at all.

Although I've never tried the mullet from the east coast. I'm wondering if it's a variation with a better table fare.

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2019, 09:21:09 am »
Speaking of fish most folks consider trash - my Cajun grandmother used to cook the most delicious gar roast. She would get it only occasionally and season and stuff it with garlic and peppers, sear it on all sides and cook it like a pot roast.

Just like this:  https://www.realcajunrecipes.com/recipe/garfish-roast/
Fresh gar isn't bad. It doesn't hold up well with freezing though.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2019, 09:51:18 am »

My daughter and her family have a 15 yr. old Beagle named Riley that they started calling Bobo about five years ago. It all starts to make sense now.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2019, 09:59:04 am »
If you're ever in the Tampa Bay area and want to try smoked mullet, mackerel and other fish, Ted Peters' Famous Smoked Fish in South Pasadena is a must. Cold beer, cash only!

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2019, 12:46:31 pm »
Large predatory fish (tuna, swordfish, shark, etc) are fine to eat, but should be eaten in moderation. Toxins, particularly metals, bioaccumulate and therefore at the highest levels in these type fish.

Oh yeah...when I said a "ton" I was mainly talking wild salmon, which is about twice a week.  Ahi is maybe twice a month.  I wish people, mainly the Chinese, would stop killing all the sharks for their fins.  The ocean ecosystem is getting all out of wack due to us overfishing the apex predators (bluefin tuna included).

Like Chuck said, I always used mullet as cut bait to catch redfish.  Then I went to the Tampa area and was really impressed by how good it was smoked, in that spread you're talking about.  I've always loved smoked mackrel/kingfish but had never had mullet.  Thumbs up.