Author Topic: I did not know this about Shane Reynolds  (Read 1984 times)

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
I did not know this about Shane Reynolds
« on: July 31, 2019, 11:07:05 am »
said he didn't think he would have had a big league career without the split-finger fastball (not the surprising part). What I didn't know, or didn't recall, was he learned it from Brent Strom.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: I did not know this about Shane Reynolds
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 12:26:09 pm »
That's just cool.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 01:48:14 am »
Thanks for that story, which i didn't know about the Strommy angle either. The Shaner!!! A real Astro, and one of my all-time favorites, because he did the most with his limited ability  of just about any other Astro I can ever remember. Gritty, never-say-die.  Challenging and smart.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 10:16:07 am »
Thanks for that story, which i didn't know about the Strommy angle either. The Shaner!!! A real Astro, and one of my all-time favorites, because he did the most with his limited ability  of just about any other Astro I can ever remember. Gritty, never-say-die.  Challenging and smart.

Must be that U of Texas upbringing.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 03:21:37 pm »
Must be that U of Texas upbringing.

I wouldn't diagree with that.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 03:31:50 pm »
Shane tells it this way:

In the early '90s, Reynolds had done well enough in Class AA to be invited to player winter ball in Venezuela. At the time, Reynolds recalled, only Class AAA pitchers or fresh big leaguers were typically invited.

The straight shooter Strom was coaching down there.

"He watched me throw a couple games and then he asked me a question one day when I was throwing a bullpen," Reynolds said. "He goes, 'You want to play one year in the big leagues or 10 in the minors?' He goes, 'Let's do this.' He completely changed me. He helped me with the two-seamer, the sinker and a small controlled curveball and taught me the split-finger. That in a nutshell is the only way I got to the big leagues and had a fairly successful career. It was him. … I love Brent Strom."
Always ready to go to a game.