Author Topic: What to make of the Astros lacking production from their first basemen  (Read 1648 times)

Noe

The Ahtletic has a new piece out on the lack of production from Houston's first baseman, primarily Yuli Guirriel. If you are scared away by this sort of information because you see it as "panic" or "worry", then by all means don't read it. But AJ Hinch's opinion about Yuli and his production is interesting in the article because it makes a ton of sense and why the Astros aren't concerned about Yuli. White on the other hand, it is implied he'll probably lose his job on the team once Almedyz Diaz returns. Also has a small tidbit on how the Astros don't see Alvarez, Brantley and Reddick as viable first base everyday alternatives either. It's sink or swim with Yuli for now and the foreseeable future. No mention though about the Astros trying to acquire Edwin Encarnacion and why that was a pursuit that they were serious about making.

Read here and don't panic!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:06:16 am by Noe in Austin »

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
What's Hinch's opinion on Yuli?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Noe

What's Hinch's opinion on Yuli?

Here you go...

The numbers behind Gurriel’s season are curious and also help to explain the Astros’ optimism about him moving forward. According to FanGraphs, he’s hitting more balls on a line or in the air than his previous three seasons and making a higher percentage of hard contact. He’s also chasing fewer pitches out of the zone compared to last year. Yet his production in his age-35 season has diminished.

“I think the numbers are a little bit misleading to the dangerous hitter that he is,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. “He hits the ball as hard as anybody. When he stays with a plan, he can be consistent. I get asked a lot of questions about his on-base or his perceived lack of power. I’m hitting him in the middle of the order. But he can do a lot of different things in one at-bat. Pitch selection’s always key for him. I think he’s always tweaking his swing a little bit mechanically. There’s a lot going on with his bat wrap and his balance. But every time he gets up to bat, he has as good of a chance to hit the ball 100 miles an hour or harder (as anybody and he’s got a good a chance to hit the ball in the gap.”

The article goes on to question whether it's wise to continue placing him as a middle of the order hitter. The author suggested Yuli is better in the lineup as a #7 or at most a #6 hitter, with a strong suggestion that placing him in front of Chirinos (#8) and Reddick (#9) once everyone returns is the smart play. Hinch might not see it that way, but we shall see.

We've already discussed the lineup with Alvarez hitting as a DH, and it looks by all indications that Yuli will become a #7 hitter when all is said and done.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:08:09 pm by Noe in Austin »

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
The Ahtletic has a new piece out on the lack of production from Houston's first baseman, primarily Yuli Guirriel. If you are scared away by this sort of information because you see it as "panic" or "worry", then by all means don't read it. But AJ Hinch's opinion about Yuli and his production is interesting in the article because it makes a ton of sense and why the Astros aren't concerned about Yuli. White on the other hand, it is implied he'll probably lose his job on the team once Almedyz Diaz returns. Also has a small tidbit on how the Astros don't see Alvarez, Brantley and Reddick as viable first base everyday alternatives either. It's sink or swim with Yuli for now and the foreseeable future. No mention though about the Astros trying to acquire Edwin Encarnacion and why that was a pursuit that they were serious about making.

Read here and don't panic!
Why are you and The Athletic overreacting??  [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noe

Why are you and The Athletic overreacting??  [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's unavoidable apparently. I have to work on that. Have I told you about my concerns about the pitching lately? No? Good.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Here you go...

The article goes on to question whether it's wise to continue placing him as a middle of the order hitter. The author suggested Yuli is better in the lineup as a #7 or at most a #6 hitter, with a strong suggestion that placing him in front of Chirinos (#8) and Reddick (#9) once everyone returns is the smart play. Hinch might not see it that way, but we shall see.

We've already discussed the lineup with Alvarez hitting as a DH, and it looks by all indications that Yuli will become a #7 hitter when all is said and done.

Thanks. Yes, it will be fun when everyone is back healthy and the lineup can show off its depth.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Noe

Thanks. Yes, it will be fun when everyone is back healthy and the lineup can show off its depth.

Eggszactly!