Author Topic: How the Houston Astros Disrupted Player Development to Become the Model MLB.....  (Read 3203 times)

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
How the Houston Astros Disrupted Player Development to Become the Model MLB Franchise

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/6/3/18644512/mvp-machine-how-houston-astros-became-great-scouting

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
Great stuff. I pre-ordered the book a while back, can’t wait to read the rest.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Love this line: For Pressly, being traded to Houston was akin to Harry Potter arriving at Hogwarts. For the first time, he was fully aware of and encouraged to use his powers, and he finally felt like himself.
Always ready to go to a game.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
That was a great read. Amazing how much detail goes into everything Luhnow does. He is doing more than dotting I’s and crossing T’s. He’s making sure the damn dot and the line are EXACT to fit his overall plan.

We shouldn’t have as much angst about decisions like Tyler White. I’m betting Luhnow formulated a plan months ago and is waiting for the right time to execute said plan. Just sit back and watch the genius work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noe

It was indeed a very good read but it actually is something that permeates beyond just baseball. It is both sound business and life lesson that change is inevitable and those who do not change will be left behind and eventually wither away. There is the old story of the paradigm shift (which may be true or not true) about the Swiss watchmaker who was sent to Japan to investigate the new technology of digital watches. He came back and reported to his comrades in Switzerland that they must get ahead of this new technology or surely they will be left behind in the world of watchmaking. They did not listen and thus the world domination that they once enjoyed in the watchmaking business was gone forever. Paradigm shifts are everywhere and a response like that of Jon Matlack of "It's dumb" without any sound research and explanation deserves the indignation it received from Luhnow. The fact that scouting and player development are now more hand and glove approaches in baseball is so simple yet revolutionary that one wonders why no one thought about it before.

Why?

Because change is the hardest thing to do yet the most necessary in life.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Thanks for that. What a great piece. Most importantly, the player is in favor of and receptive to suggestions from non-baseball personnel, on the grounds that the player wants to improve, and the program improved them a lot.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Noe

Thanks for that. What a great piece. Most importantly, the player is in favor of and receptive to suggestions from non-baseball personnel, on the grounds that the player wants to improve, and the program improved them a lot.

I come from the world of data analytics from a business perspective. So here is the rub: you have descriptive analytics (see where you've been historically, learn from the trends) and predictive analytics (see what works from multiple sources and not just the standard sourcing).  In actuality, you have four distinct types in analytics today: Descriptive, Diagnostic, Predictive, and Prescriptive. The key to all this business intelligence (and this is not strictly for the MLB but all business around the world) is to not deny yourself the sources that are available. The best business intelligence is supported by multiple sources, including social.

The fact that the MLB (and not just the Astros) are using Business Intelligence is not really too far fetched to me. I see it more as what took them so long. Oh yeah, it takes proving this works for many... in any business. You have leaders, you have followers and you have deniers. Heck, they don't even call it Data Analysis any more... they call it Data Scienctist. If a player or scout denies themselve "information", they're just denying themselves business intelligence that will make them more successful and yes, more money.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/data-analytics.asp
Why Data Analytics Matters
Data analytics is important because it helps businesses optimize their performances. Implementing it into the business model means companies can help reduce costs by identifying more efficient ways of doing business and by storing large amounts of data.

A company can also use data analytics to make better business decisions and help analyze customer trends and satisfaction, which can lead to new—and better—products and services.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Noe, I couldn't agree more.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Noe

Brian Kenny interviewed the two authors on the MLB Network and there were some really keen insights into what is happening around the world of baseball and not just the Houston Astros. At one point, they discussed the Minnesota Twins and lo and behold, the Twins were basically copying everything the BoSox and Astros were doing with player development and information/data analytics provided for each player (pitcher and hitter). So very good discussions and while the Astros might have an edge right now, the league is catching up and now it is about who can execute the best to win with this new era method of player development.

Noe

Noe

Here is part 2 of the interview... great stuff: The MVP Machine interview by Brian Kenny MLB Network.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:32:18 pm by Noe in Austin »

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
I loved this (refreshingly long) book preview.  I'll have to go buy the larger volume.  Really great insights into first-mover value and the work that goes into sustaining that advantage as others copy your moves.

A corollary to this is this great The Athletic piece on using analytics to develop your minor leaguers.  Which happens to be that next step by the Astros to maintain that edge.

https://theathletic.com/990262/2019/05/30/inside-the-astros-cutting-edge-approach-to-minor-league-pitching-development/
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
I loved this (refreshingly long) book preview.  I'll have to go buy the larger volume.  Really great insights into first-mover value and the work that goes into sustaining that advantage as others copy your moves.

A corollary to this is this great The Athletic piece on using analytics to develop your minor leaguers.  Which happens to be that next step by the Astros to maintain that edge.

https://theathletic.com/990262/2019/05/30/inside-the-astros-cutting-edge-approach-to-minor-league-pitching-development/

I ordered the book yesterday.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Just got it on Kindle. Pricey
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Just got it on Kindle. Pricey

$18.99 on iBooks.  What did you pay?
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
$18.99 on iBooks.  What did you pay?

Same
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
It's on my reading list but there are about 6 7 books ahead of it. I enjoyed Ben Lindbergh's previous book as well as his podcast. Might go for the audiobook version to get to it sooner

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
You guys should have checked to see if your local library has it.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Noe

On my father's day list.