Author Topic: Last nite  (Read 2000 times)

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Last nite
« on: April 30, 2019, 10:33:28 am »
What a horrific showing by the offense.  The chatter in the GameZone was spot on.  Altuve and White are deep, dark black holes in the lineup right now and the approaches we saw last night made pedestrian Odorizzi look like Cy Young.  If I were Hinch, I'd levy a $100 fine to any player for the next One (1) game that does not take the Mike Schmidt approach of watching pitch 1, no matter what, so they can see how the ball is coming out of the pitchers hand and see what he's throwing.  Clearly, I'm not Hinch tho...

Verlander was classy as always, tipping his cap and making no excuses.  The fact that there was "chatter" in the clubhouse about the check swing call in the 3rd kills me.  The only reasonable chatter should have been about the awful approaches the hitters were taking against an ok pitcher.  With the express intent of changing things.

"Twins third baseman Ehire Adrianza led off the third inning with a homer on a 3-2 pitch -- one pitch after Verlander nearly got Adrianza to strike out on a 2-2 check swing -- to back seven scoreless innings from Odorizzi in Minnesota’s 1-0 win over the Astros at Target Field.  The check swing to Adrianza that third-base umpire Doug Eddings called a ball was a topic of conversation in the Astros' clubhouse after the game."
https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/justin-verlander-astros-fall-to-twins
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: Last nite
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:50:17 am »
pitchers have learned altuve  tends to go after that first pitch
it seemed verlander barely had a seat and was up again
forever is composed entirely of nows

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 03:19:15 pm »
What a horrific showing by the offense.  The chatter in the GameZone was spot on.  Altuve and White are deep, dark black holes in the lineup right now and the approaches we saw last night made pedestrian Odorizzi look like Cy Young.  If I were Hinch, I'd levy a $100 fine to any player for the next One (1) game that does not take the Mike Schmidt approach of watching pitch 1, no matter what, so they can see how the ball is coming out of the pitchers hand and see what he's throwing.  Clearly, I'm not Hinch tho...

Well, it wasn't too long ago that I read chatter in the GZ that the Astros were too passive on the first pitch, so I guess it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.  They had a bad game.  Maybe a bad couple of games.  It happens.  Last week their starting pitching sucked.  The last couple days (Chirinos' HR notwithstanding), their offense has sucked.  It comes and goes over a 162 game season. 

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 03:44:39 pm »
Well, it wasn't too long ago that I read chatter in the GZ that the Astros were too passive on the first pitch, so I guess it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.  They had a bad game.  Maybe a bad couple of games.  It happens.  Last week their starting pitching sucked.  The last couple days (Chirinos' HR notwithstanding), their offense has sucked.  It comes and goes over a 162 game season.

I don't think you took away what you needed to take away from attacking first pitches.

It's one thing to attack first pitches aggressively. But when you're lazily swinging over and under 91 MPH fastballs in the lower middle of the zone, there is something overridingly wrong with your approach, no matter when in the count they're happening. Not punishing shit fastballs is bad baseball, period.

The Astros looked straight up disinterested in hitting the baseball last night with only a few notable exceptions.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 03:54:46 pm »
I don't think you took away what you needed to take away from attacking first pitches.

It's one thing to attack first pitches aggressively. But when you're lazily swinging over and under 91 MPH fastballs in the lower middle of the zone, there is something overridingly wrong with your approach, no matter when in the count they're happening. Not punishing shit fastballs is bad baseball, period.

The Astros looked straight up disinterested in hitting the baseball last night with only a few notable exceptions.

Lazy is a good description. How many RH hitters popped up to the right side because of slow bats and the barrel looping under the ball?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 04:00:53 pm »

So what makes an entire team get collectively disinterested in a game? 

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 04:11:27 pm »
So what makes an entire team get collectively disinterested in a game?

Cold weather? A late night the night before? Some kind of gypsy curse?
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 04:21:09 pm »

I think watching GoT Sunday night encompasses all three.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 04:21:21 pm »

As of right now they've played the most difficult schedule in baseball.  24 of the 29 games against teams with records currently above .500.  The first and second place teams in the east and central, and all but the worst team in the west.  And the 5 games against a losing team was the A's, a divisional opponent.  Maybe they're just a little worn out?

Oh, and more games on the road than at home.
Goin' for a bus ride.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Last nite
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 04:21:25 pm »
Yes cold. Taking my swings and getting back to the heater in the dugout.
E come vivo? Vivo.