Author Topic: Charlie Morton piece in The Athletic  (Read 1761 times)

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Re: Charlie Morton piece in The Athletic
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 09:01:53 am »
Vintage Charlie. Great read. https://theathletic.com/881062/2019/03/25/qa-charlie-morton-on-the-end-of-his-astros-tenure-joining-the-rays-and-the-matchup-against-his-pal-gerrit-cole/

I find myself missing this guy on our team.

Holy shit. Who doesn’t? I understand his business decision but was mildly surprised by it because of his several statements saying he’d rather retire than be in some other clubhouse and his many, many comments expressing his desire to be in Houston if he pitched in 2019.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:06:32 am »
Quote from: CFM
When we’re 60 years old and they call us up for the 25-year anniversary of the 2017 World Series team, and we’re out there in our khakis, I’ll hopefully be out there in my velcro New Balance shoes, pants are sagging, some 15-year-old polo shirt that’s sunbleached, wearing our World Series rings and they’re like two sizes too big because I’m all skin and bones, hopefully, that’s something I’m looking forward to.

Between this and the McHugh podcast, I'm loving his sense of humor.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:00:29 pm »
That piece is sorta sad to me. Despite the overwhelming success he had in Houston-winning TWO Game Sevens, a WS ring, and becoming CFM-the insecurity which has plagued him throughout his career seems still to be there. He seems to have made his decision for 2019 by picking the team he thinks liked him best.

Hey, CFM. The Astros gave you $14 million at a time you thought in terms of only being an NRI because it believed it could show you how to maximize the talent you did not think you had. Houston liked you plenty and wanted you back but given the condition of your shoulder late last year, not enough to guarantee two years. We’ll always love you and wish the best for you but not when we play you.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 04:56:54 pm »
You hit the nail on the head a couple of times there.

1. CFM started ALCS game 7 and pitched great.   He was just overshadowed by LMJs wizardry to finish it.
2. The club never seemed to trust his shoulder after his return,  and their offer(s) likely reflected it.  Doesn't mean they don't think the world of him/what he did.  Just business.