Author Topic: Old Program  (Read 2251 times)

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Old Program
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:00:17 pm »
My wife was going thru some things at her parents home and came across an Astros program from April 7, 1993.  Neither of us remember it,  or even why we were in Houston that day (that was our junior year at Southwestern).  But we definitely went,  as evidenced by my scorecard and some photos she found of her outside the Dome (her first/only trip there).

Final (10)
Phillies 6
Astros 3

Pete Harnisch left with a 3-1 lead after 7, but Doug Jones gave up a single and a HR in the 8th, and Philly batted around in the 10th.

Bagwell had 2 doubles and Gonzales hit 2 dingers.

Baseball reference says Steve Finley had 2 assists; it was fun finding them on my card.  Both 8-2.

Attendance was 16,471 per my wife's note at the top of the card.
Astros 3

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Old Program
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:38:05 am »
I love old programs. I have a program or scorecard from every MLB game I've attended since I was 10, and it's fun to go back through them for the various memories they bring up (like those you mentioned).

My father passed away when I was really young, so finding some of his old scorecards years later -- he grew up in Chicago, so they were from Comiskey and Wrigley in the '60s -- was really cool. To see the names of the players he saw in person, and to picture him there... it's hard to put words to the feelings it brought up.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:45:38 pm »
I love old programs. I have a program or scorecard from every MLB game I've attended since I was 10, and it's fun to go back through them for the various memories they bring up (like those you mentioned).

My father passed away when I was really young, so finding some of his old scorecards years later -- he grew up in Chicago, so they were from Comiskey and Wrigley in the '60s -- was really cool. To see the names of the players he saw in person, and to picture him there... it's hard to put words to the feelings it brought up.

What a great treasure trove of memories. I had all of my scorecards from LSU's 1991 season, which was the first time we won the College World Series. I was physically present for 59 of the 71 games. But they got thrown out in a move. But you have your scorecards, and those from your Dad. Do y'all keep score similarly (everyone has scoring quirks-my scorecards recorded balls and strikes, and number of pitches)?
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 06:19:03 pm »
What a great treasure trove of memories. I had all of my scorecards from LSU's 1991 season, which was the first time we won the College World Series. I was physically present for 59 of the 71 games. But they got thrown out in a move. But you have your scorecards, and those from your Dad. Do y'all keep score similarly (everyone has scoring quirks-my scorecards recorded balls and strikes, and number of pitches)?

I usually do it the way my 9th grade coach taught me.
Runner to first,  draw a line and to the right a note of how he got there (a single line for a single,  bb, hbp, E4 etc)
A double: draw half diamond and put 2 lines between 1st and second.

If a runner scores the diamond gets completed and shaded,  with a note of who got the rbi.
Flyballs: fielders position circled
Maybe some notation if it was a lineout.

Balls and strikes occasionally. 

That card I mentioned didn't even have a spot for pitchers.  I wrote in Harnish's and noted that Bell gave up 2 hits in the 10th.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 12:42:50 pm »
But you have your scorecards, and those from your Dad. Do y'all keep score similarly (everyone has scoring quirks-my scorecards recorded balls and strikes, and number of pitches)?

No, we had/have very different styles -- I can barely understand his system. Mine started based on the "how to score" instructions in Astros programs in the late '80s/early '90s, and sort of evolved from there. Now, I get to teach my son how to keep score, which is even more fun.

I buy a program/scorecard at every MLB game I attend, and then I have a spiral bound scorebook I designed and printed at an office supply store that I use for all the Baylor games I attend. It, too, is fun to look back through at the players who have come and gone over the years.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 04:24:03 pm »
I just found one of my score books from scoring my son's games.  One was his first varsity start from his freshman year. My wife scored since I was at a conference.  My son took the book from me, pointed to a double in the first and said, "That was my first curve ball in my career.  It didn't break."  He handed the book back to me with a smile. 

He had been taught the curve ball in the bullpen warming up for the game.  Fun memories.
Always ready to go to a game.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 08:19:01 am »
I just found one of my score books from scoring my son's games.  One was his first varsity start from his freshman year. My wife scored since I was at a conference.  My son took the book from me, pointed to a double in the first and said, "That was my first curve ball in my career.  It didn't break."  He handed the book back to me with a smile. 

He had been taught the curve ball in the bullpen warming up for the game.  Fun memories.

Great memories indeed. It drudged up a memory of mine.  I was mopping up in a midweek game where we were getting the shit kicked out of us. They were hitting me too, but there was no one up in the bully. This game was mine to finish, and there wasn't any pitch count consideration. I used to clown around in the bully iimitating Gene Garber throwing "the thing," as his out pitch was known.

As you may recall, Garber had a very unusual delivery and really was sidearm. Garber was the pitcher who ended Pete Rose's 45 game hitting streak. Wellsir, I had a guy down 0-2, and the catcher called for my forkball/splitter down, which was my out pitch in that situation. But what did I do but throw a Garber like pitch that the hitter hit into the next parish for a three run homer. The coach called time and came running out to the mound. He beat the catcher to the mound, so I was all alone. His words were "what in the holy name of God was that?" He'd never seen it, but the pitching coach knew about it. His next words were priceless: " well, it sucked a hind tit, son. Don't throw it again." To which I mumbled yessir.

I indeed finished the game, which we lost 17-5. Unlike Duman's son, my line that day was not pretty (something like 3.1 innings, five hits, four earnies but six strikeouts (four swinging)), but I saved our bully, which didn't mean much because we really were terrible.

Memories indeed.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 12:22:46 pm »
Great memories indeed.

One of my buddies has a similar story.  They're getting drubbed,  so he gets a turn to pitch.   Mind you he's a position player who has never pitched in a game.

At one point he throws a knuckleball that ends up in one of the dugouts.   His coach promptly got up off the bench and went straight to the bus for the remainder of the game.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 03:13:56 pm »
Here is mine: I was a good HS pitcher and had very good sophomore and junior years, but my senior year was mediocre at best. My arm did not hurt, but my arm seemed tired, and I had no life or zip on my FB. Late in the season the coach started a sophomore in a game I should have started. Perhaps to soothe my ruffled feathers, he announced to the team he had me in the pen that night because of my great control and was saving me for a pressure situation. Sure enough, he brought me in with the bases loaded. I, of the great control, threw eight straight balls and walked in two runs.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:18:37 pm by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
Old Program
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 05:35:40 pm »
Well, here is mine. I was always a pretty good hitter. Started as a freshman in high school and played every game into my senior year. I had NO power however. I was a line drive hitter and almost never struck out. I struck out only once my senior year in 20 plus games. Remember, I said I had NO power. I had never hit a home run in any league at any age in my life...EVER. Well, senior year of high school 3 games left in the season. I got a hanging curveball and hit my first home run over the left centerfield fence. I still remember to this day how the ball felt coming off the bat. After hitting the only home run of my life, my next at bat was also memorable. Ground ball down the line at third pulled the third baseman into foul territory as he threw to first. The throw was up the line and I collided with the first baseman. I went over him into the air and came down on my left shoulder breaking my collarbone. I knew it instantly as it sounded like a shotgun blast when it broke. Almost came thru the skin. It basically ended my playing days as I fell in love after that and stayed home rather than taking a shot at college ball. I do wonder what could have been but I married her and have two wonderful children, one of whom just got a full ride to Mercer University.  We’ve been married now for 27 years so it all worked out!!

Go Astros!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 06:22:33 pm »
Well, here is mine. I was always a pretty good hitter. Started as a freshman in high school and played every game into my senior year. I had NO power however. I was a line drive hitter and almost never struck out. I struck out only once my senior year in 20 plus games. Remember, I said I had NO power. I had never hit a home run in any league at any age in my life...EVER. Well, senior year of high school 3 games left in the season. I got a hanging curveball and hit my first home run over the left centerfield fence. I still remember to this day how the ball felt coming off the bat. After hitting the only home run of my life, my next at bat was also memorable. Ground ball down the line at third pulled the third baseman into foul territory as he threw to first. The throw was up the line and I collided with the first baseman. I went over him into the air and came down on my left shoulder breaking my collarbone. I knew it instantly as it sounded like a shotgun blast when it broke. Almost came thru the skin. It basically ended my playing days as I fell in love after that and stayed home rather than taking a shot at college ball. I do wonder what could have been but I married her and have two wonderful children, one of whom just got a full ride to Mercer University.  We’ve been married now for 27 years so it all worked out!!

Go Astros!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just may have been the worst hitter in baseball history. I had a summer league coach make me pinch hit once against the best hook in the league, just to fuck with me. My teammates were calling me slugger from the dugout, those assholes. He threw two looping yellow hammers for strikes. I said here comes the curveball down in the dirt. He threw it right into my swing path, and I hit it to the 400 foot sign in center field, but a high school teammate who was playing for the other team caught it. I was so close to a home run, yet so far away.  It's like the big fish that got away.