Author Topic: Yet another Bryce Harper thread, call this one "Why Not?"  (Read 1177 times)

Noe

Yet another Bryce Harper thread, call this one "Why Not?"
« on: December 05, 2018, 05:06:10 pm »
Based on what is being reported, much talk about Harper has centered around the high payroll teams that can afford his price... and Philly. So the teams mentioned for Harper are New York (both teams), LA (the trolley men, but some say the Angels too), and maybe Chicago. From everything I've heard, the young man from Las Vegas is keeping mum about where he wants to go, but Satan Boras said "the team is there, they know it, it's just a matter of time".... or something to that effect.  But....

... why not the Astros?

We can think of $300 million reasons or 10 years worth of reasons why not of course. But remember Alex Rodriquez and his similar splash into the free agent market (from his time in Seattle)?  Yeah, similar talk, same evil agent and after all was said and done, it was the Texas Rangers who pulled the trigger and everyone scratched their heads.

The Rangers?

Any way, back to Harper, a little tid-bit showed up on Yahoo Sports that said this "Harper is said to be enamored with the Houston Astros and the LSt. Louis Cardinals are said to be enamored with Harper." Huh? What? Harper loves the way the Astros organization is being run? Well now, whatdayaknow!  Funny huh? Well, if you think about it, Houston has come of age as a baseball organization and the city itself has come of age as a baseball town too. The following this team has is right up there with any big league market. The BoSox, The Cubs, The Yanks.... it's the Astros that are taking the MLB by storm with their fandom and right way to run a young club. It takes bold thinking at this level but it also takes understanding what sort of market you now have. I don't think we've ever seen a city grow up as a baseball town as we've seen in the last three years or so. As an owner, you now know you have the city ready to spend and support... should you make a splash like a big market... or do you keep your mid-market thinking cap on and hedge your bet.

Is Bryce Harper worth it? Are the Astros as a baseball organization ready to be a champion for many years with a big league city attitude? I believe the time has come but then again, I'm not the owner nor GM to make those decisions based on both economics/business with baseball acumen as well. But I believe it is really worth exploring... seriously.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:18:10 pm by Noe in Austin »

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Bryce Harper thread, call this one "Why Not?"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:48:35 pm »
I think he would fit in great with Astros and it would be a good place for him. I think the Astros don't need the star name that other clubs will be willing to pay for, so they will likely pass.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Yet another Bryce Harper thread, call this one "Why Not?"
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:29 pm »
I’ve always thought Harper was overrated, but I do believe that the potential is there for him to be everything that some think he is. He’s had little protection in the Nationals lineup the last couple of years and I’m sure that has impacted his performance. It makes too much sense for him to sign with the Yankees. Put him in between Stanton and Judge and he might hit 50 homers a year with the short right field porch in Yankee Stadium. I’m REALLY hoping that doesn’t happen.

I’ve thought a lot about how it would look if Harper were to join our team. This would be exciting...
Springer
Harper
Altuve
Bregman
Correa
Gurriel
Reddick

That lineup would do some damage and I think Harper, with Altuve and Bregman behind him, might hit 50 homers in MMP.

Now, the reality as I’ve known it as long as I’ve been a fan of this team, tells me there is no way they spend this kind of money. And if they do sign him to some monster contract, it think it seriously hinders the teams ability to resign Springer, Correa or Bregman going forward. At a minimum it is going to take 10 at 350. I don’t think Houston would commit to that. Would there be a way to have your cake and eat it too??? Perhaps. In my DREAM WORLD, the Astros sit Harper down and convince him that they can help each other. He wants a ring, we want another title and our window is now. Offer him 10 at 350 but front load the contract so that the first 3 years are 3 and 150. Give him an opt out at year 2 and 3. If he lights up MMP like some think he would be capable, we win another title or two. After 3 years, when you are about to have to resign Bregman, Harper is only making 28 per year since you front loaded his deal. If he doesn’t opt out, you got him at an affordable rate. But if he lights it up, he’s almost guaranteed to opt out because at that point the AAV for the remaining 7 years is only 28.5. He will still be under age 30 and could get someone to give him 8-10 at a higher AAV than the 28.5 he has left on our deal.

It would push our payroll this coming year to close to 190-195 and we still need pitching help. We would probably have to go over the luxury tax to fill those other needs.

Of course everything else would have to go perfect to get those titles.

We are both on crack and this won’t happen.

But I continue to see click bait that says Astros are one of the teams interested.

Meanwhile, it looks like Evoldi is about to sign tonight and we have yet to make a major move to catch the Red Sox or stay in front of the Yankees.

I hope something is brewing.

Here is something a little more realistic than Harper. Send Tucker, James, Bukauskas and Davis or White to the Mets for Syndergaard. Then sign Cruz to DH and Brantley or McCutchen for corner outfield. Take the money you were gonna give to Morton and sign Britton and Ottivino. Starting rotation would be Verlander, Cole, Syndergaard at the top. Back end will be combo of Whitley, Valdez and McHugh.

Springer
Altuve
Bregman
Cruz
Correa
Gurriel
McCutchen/Brantley
Reddick
Chrinos/ Stassi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:27:53 pm by TerryPuhl21 »

Noe

Re: Yet another Bryce Harper thread, call this one "Why Not?"
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 11:10:41 pm »
Just to throw out a few things to consider, even though I'm also inclined to believe the Houston Astros do not operate like a big market club. Having said that, my point was "should they start to act like a big market club since the team and the fans seem to have turned the corner into a big baseball market?". Be that as it may, here are some points to ponder:

1. The contract to offer Harper should be escalated in cost to allow for payroll flexibility (re: add one more starter if possible)
2.  Correa has a back injury. Back injuries in baseball (or any other sport) are fickle and honestly quite a nuisance to deal with. If Correa's back is a problem for the future, you cannot build your franchise around him. If, however, you get two to three good to great years from him with Harper in the mix, you have a dynasty in the making. Your real bankable stars are Bregman and Altuve at this point, with Springer one notch below them.
3. Harper doesn't have to be a 10 year player for the Astros, he just needs to be a 10 year contract. See: Beltran, Carlos (or any other long-term player who eventually gets unloaded to another team willing to take him off your hands well before the end of the contract is reached).
4. You could also offer an "opt-out" clause for Harper with a pay-out, let's say at year six, if he wants to opt out, the Astros pay him X amount of dollars to let him walk (and save money in the interim).

What you do is continue to grow your own talent during this phase of the Astros club make-up to replace any of the players who are not key mainstays (see: Altuve and maybe Bregman). Buy the free agent player on occasion, but truly if you add Harper to Altuve, Bregman, Springer, Correa, Reddick and La Pina... Aye Dios Mio... you have a real shot at competing for the World Series almost four to five years running. It's kind of like the BoSox adding JD Martinez last year. They went from good to great overnight and were the cream of the crop in the MLB. Add Harper.... Houston jumps way ahead of the BoSox.

I think it's doable but since I don't run thing, can't tell you if anyone else thinks this way in the Astros business and baseball side.

P.S. You don't need a top of the line catcher in this scenario, just a steady one. Who knew the BoSox could be so strong with two journeyman catchers at the helm? I didn't. I would not have given them a grade above "C-" for their catching tandem. But they were serviceable enough to help them win. In the sceanario where you add Harper, a Max Stassi and/or Stubbs or Chrinos works well enough.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:17:18 pm by Noe in Austin »