Author Topic: Stan Lee  (Read 1695 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Stan Lee
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:04:01 pm »
Passed away at age 95.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Stan Lee
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 04:08:00 pm »
Excelsior, Stan!

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 05:42:07 pm »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 10:53:08 am »
I am watching series three of DareDevil and also re-watching Battlestar Galactica*, but I am also now of a mind to re-watch all the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.  For those of you also inclined this way, here's a handy primer how to watch them in chronological order (it's not the same as release order).

* I am re-ripping BSG into 1080p, so I am re-watching as each batch of episodes is complete.  It takes about 4 hours to code 1 episode into 1080p because of the grainy effect they used on the show.  Makes for huge files too. 

FTR, I find the Captain America trilogy the strongest, with "Winter Soldier" being the standout of the three.  The Iron Man trilogy being knocked down a peg or two due to the relative weakness of the main villains.  To be fair, the Iron Man trilogy was complete before CA2 came out, so there is a strong argument that they were not yet fully in their stride until they were done with IM stand-alones.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 10:57:08 pm »
I am watching series three of DareDevil and also re-watching Battlestar Galactica*, but I am also now of a mind to re-watch all the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.  For those of you also inclined this way, here's a handy primer how to watch them in chronological order (it's not the same as release order).

* I am re-ripping BSG into 1080p, so I am re-watching as each batch of episodes is complete.  It takes about 4 hours to code 1 episode into 1080p because of the grainy effect they used on the show.  Makes for huge files too. 

FTR, I find the Captain America trilogy the strongest, with "Winter Soldier" being the standout of the three.  The Iron Man trilogy being knocked down a peg or two due to the relative weakness of the main villains.  To be fair, the Iron Man trilogy was complete before CA2 came out, so there is a strong argument that they were not yet fully in their stride until they were done with IM stand-alones.

What exactly are you getting out of the 1080p rip of BSG? Wasn’t the series filmed exclusively using 720p/1080i tech? Was there a remaster in 1080p? Otherwise why bother? Do you get better results doing this instead of letting your tv/blu-ray upscale? (All of these are honest questions, not a challenge)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:00:30 pm by WVastro »

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 08:44:42 am »

What exactly are you getting out of the 1080p rip of BSG? Wasn’t the series filmed exclusively using 720p/1080i tech? Was there a remaster in 1080p? Otherwise why bother? Do you get better results doing this instead of letting your tv/blu-ray upscale? (All of these are honest questions, not a challenge)

No worries.  :)

It was broadcast in 720p/1080i as that was/is the cable/satellite limitation.  Only the miniseries was filmed in 720p, while the 4 full seasons were all filmed in 1080p and released that way on Blu Ray later.  That's the set I have.

I'd originally ripped the series in 720p as that was all an Apple TV could handle at the time.  It wasn't very forward-thinking of me, but I wanted to save disk space and it did take a while before I got a 1080p-capable ATV.  It's crazy how much bigger are the ripped files when transcoded to 1080p for an Apple TV than the 720p version.

To your original question though, to be honest, I'm not always seeing a noticeable improvement in the picture quality over my original rip.  I think this is down to the intentional graininess I mention above, because that renders the higher resolution moot.  It's not always grainy and, where it's not, the picture is gorgeous (e.g. the space battles over the Resurrection Ship and above New Caprica), but that's the exception, not the rule.

At the end of the day, I'm satisfying my OCD about these things and also future-proofing my rips as it will never go above 1080p.  4GB per episode is a bit much though...