Author Topic: McCullers  (Read 1383 times)

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
McCullers
« on: November 07, 2018, 04:31:05 pm »
A couple of questions:

1.  I think that service time continues when you are on the 60 day DL.  Does McCullers have options?  Could the Astros option McCullers down to the minor leagues so that they don't lose this year or is that just considered so scummy that no one would ever do that.
2.  How does McCullers get paid this year?  He's arbitration eligible.  Last year, the Astros avoided arbitration by signing him to a 1 yr. contact.  Does he get paid the same thing this year?  Does he get a raise?  Does he get a pay cut because he isn't playing?  Do the Astros go to arbitration with him over this? 
Boom!

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: McCullers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 04:37:19 pm »
2.  How does McCullers get paid this year?  He's arbitration eligible.  Last year, the Astros avoided arbitration by signing him to a 1 yr. contact.  Does he get paid the same thing this year?  Does he get a raise?  Does he get a pay cut because he isn't playing?  Do the Astros go to arbitration with him over this?

Still goes thru arb (the Astros are allowed to use the injury against him in their submission). As I wrote before:

McCullers (as was noted in the other thread) is arb-eligible. If he does go under the knife, what does Luhnow do? Pay Lance $4.6MM (MLBTR's estimate of his 2019 salary) to rehab the entire season at FITTEAM Ballpark of The Palm Beaches?

That will be an interesting call.

ETA:
Perhaps not such a tough call after all.  Prior to the non-tender date, a deal simply gets worked out and Lance gets a chunk o' change that will be nowhere near the above amount.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:00:57 pm by Nate Colbert »

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 04:40:12 pm »
1.  I think that service time continues when you are on the 60 day DL.  Does McCullers have options?  Could the Astros option McCullers down to the minor leagues so that they don't lose this year or is that just considered so scummy that no one would ever do that.

I'm pretty sure there's a rule that states you can't option a guy to the minors if he's on the 60-day DL (except for rehab assignments of course).

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 04:43:07 pm »
They'll probably agree to a deal before arbitration, but I don't think it'll look that different from what he'd get if he were healthy.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:59:22 pm »
BTW, despite not pitching in 2019 he'll have to go thru arb again a year from now (unless the Astros cut a 2-year deal with him).

And if folks aren't aware, LMJ is under club control for three more seasons (thru 2021).