Author Topic: On this date in 1947...  (Read 1721 times)

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
On this date in 1947...
« on: August 08, 2018, 12:58:56 pm »
...Jose Cruz was born.

He's now 71.

You guys are old.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: On this date in 1947...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 01:04:46 pm »
They should have Cheo on more.  Always like hearing from the stars of my youth. 

I'm not the type who can recall batting styles or windups, but envisioning him slapping and driving line drives all over the place is easy to recall.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 01:10:00 pm »
They should have Cheo on more.  Always like hearing from the stars of my youth. 

I'm not the type who can recall batting styles or windups, but envisioning him slapping and driving line drives all over the place is easy to recall.

Bat held straight up over left shoulder,  high front leg kick,  hair barely contained by batting helmet.

He was my first favorite Astro.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
On this date in 1947...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 01:26:16 pm »
Bat held straight up over left shoulder,  high front leg kick,  hair barely contained by batting helmet.

He was my first favorite Astro.
1980 still breaks my heart. I remember crying my eyes out when they lost. I was only 11 years old at the time. I wanted so bad for Cruz, Puhl and that team to win it all and it was that season when my love for the Astros truly began. Most of my favorite Astros are from that era and Cruz was certainly one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 02:30:36 pm »
1980 still breaks my heart. I remember crying my eyes out when they lost. I was only 11 years old at the time. I wanted so bad for Cruz, Puhl and that team to win it all and it was that season when my love for the Astros truly began. Most of my favorite Astros are from that era and Cruz was certainly one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a heart-breaking loss. I am convinced they would have been World Champs with a healthy J.R. Richard.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 02:40:38 pm »
That was a heart-breaking loss. I am convinced they would have been World Champs with a healthy J.R. Richard.
I feel the same way about 04 with Andy Pettitte

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 02:55:28 pm »

Hell, they're quite possibly World Champs if they don't let the Dodgers sweep the final weekend and Niekro gets to start two games in the NLCS.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 04:33:33 pm »

Our bullpen was gassed.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 04:45:32 pm »
I feel the same way about 04 with Andy Pettitte

Or even a healthy Wade Miller. Backe stepped up big-time, but the drop off from Pettitte or Miller to Pete Munro was enormous.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 04:54:57 pm »
Or even a healthy Wade Miller. Backe stepped up big-time, but the drop off from Pettitte or Miller to Pete Munro was enormous.
Man, I always forget that 04 was the year miller started having injury problems. I seem to always think that 03 was his last year as an Astro. Yeah one of those guys healthy and we beat the cardinals, both of them healthy we beat the red sox

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 05:09:02 pm »
Our bullpen was gassed.

J.R. didn't need no stinkin' bullpen.