Author Topic: Fresno  (Read 4263 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Fresno
« on: June 15, 2018, 09:10:13 am »
Good grief, their stats are insane. AJ Reed keeps on trying: .269, 16 HEs, 57 RBI. Lots of major league ready guys there.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Fresno
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 10:03:19 am »
Good grief, their stats are insane. AJ Reed keeps on trying: .269, 16 HEs, 57 RBI. Lots of major league ready guys there.

I'm not sure what to make of that place. On the one hand, the Fresno hitting stats are so high that you think it must be a ballpark factor. On the other hand, several Fresno pitchers are doing really well and several with ERAs sub-4.00.  One that really intrigues me is Josh James. He just got to Fresno but in 34 IP he has 53Ks and only 22 hits and 11 BBs allowed. He is the kid that lost weight after it was discovered, and he was treated, for sleep apnea. Big kid, good FB.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 10:41:07 am »
Yeah, he does seem intriguing to me as well.  There are also a number of guys in CC that will soon be pushing on the guys doing so well in Fresno.

Luhnow and crew get a lot of deserved credit for how they identify talent, but they should also get a lot for how they develop it.  Seems like there are an inordinate number of lower round picks that become quite impressive after a year or two in the system, beyond what is normal for their draft position.   

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 01:00:05 pm »
Luhnow and crew get a lot of deserved credit for how they identify talent, but they should also get a lot for how they develop it.  Seems like there are an inordinate number of lower round picks that become quite impressive after a year or two in the system, beyond what is normal for their draft position.   

So true.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 01:37:25 pm »
Bus rides can be fun.  Y'all should try it.
Up in the Air

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Fresno
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 01:38:28 pm »
Dykxhoorn is having a good year so far. Thornton, Sneed and Armenteros are having decent years. Any of them might already be in the majors if they were in a different organization - like Texas.
E come vivo? Vivo.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 01:52:26 pm »
Dykxhoorn is having a good year so far. Thornton, Sneed and Armenteros are having decent years. Any of them might already be in the majors if they were in a different organization - like Texas.

Armenteros had a great ST and I thought he was going to be the next big thing going into the season.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 02:01:56 pm »
I'm not sure what to make of that place. On the one hand, the Fresno hitting stats are so high that you think it must be a ballpark factor. On the other hand, several Fresno pitchers are doing really well and several with ERAs sub-4.00.  One that really intrigues me is Josh James. He just got to Fresno but in 34 IP he has 53Ks and only 22 hits and 11 BBs allowed. He is the kid that lost weight after it was discovered, and he was treated, for sleep apnea. Big kid, good FB.

Typically the teams east of the Rockies have the best team pitching stats and the worst team batting stats.  The reverse is true of the teams in the Rockies to the Pacific coast.  So when you see an eastern team with hitting stats at the top of the league then take note of who is doing what on that team.  The same can be said of the pitching stats for the western teams.  Fresno has many more than their fair share of major league ready/AAAA pitchers and position players on the team.
Goin' for a bus ride.

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Fresno
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 02:42:35 pm »
There is speculation that the Mets might move Syndergard and/or de Grom in order to restock. I wonder if Luhnow has any interest in using that wealth of talent to acquire either or both.
E come vivo? Vivo.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 03:06:59 pm »
There is speculation that the Mets might move Syndergard and/or de Grom in order to restock. I wonder if Luhnow has any interest in using that wealth of talent to acquire either or both.

Wonder if we have a scout on Britton.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 03:22:40 pm »
Speaking of Fresno, Guduan to the paternity list, and White recalled.
Goin' for a bus ride.

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Fresno
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 04:02:12 pm »
Britton made his first appearance of the year this week. ! inning, 26 pitches, 3 walks, 1 so, no runs. Sounds like he would fit right in with the Astros' bull pen.
He will be a free agent next year but well worth a few prospects if he can get on track.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 06:20:59 pm »
Bus rides can be fun.  Y'all should try it.

For an extra couple of bucks I got MiLB TV with my MLB subscription, a few more hours in the day would be nice to be able to watch it all.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 09:06:35 pm »
Speaking of Fresno, Guduan to the paternity list, and White recalled.
I suspected as much when he was a late scratch yesterday afternoon. Hope he does well.
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 09:51:21 pm »
Has Martes been hurt?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 09:53:52 pm »
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 10:10:58 pm »
Has Martes been hurt?
Out since late April.
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 10:32:40 pm »
Out since late April.

What is his injury?

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 08:32:03 am »
The lack of injury news on minor leaguers can be maddening. I haven’t seen anything in the past month with an update on Martes, Paulino, Bukauskas, or Yordan Alvarez.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 11:04:52 am »
The lack of injury news on minor leaguers can be maddening. I haven’t seen anything in the past month with an update on Martes, Paulino, Bukauskas, or Yordan Alvarez.
Or Benedetti or Kevin Hill.
Up in the Air

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 11:13:18 am »

That list is 40% of their Top 10 prospect list.

Fynn

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2018, 08:37:09 pm »

Well, at least Alvarez is back with Corpus.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/astros-yordan-alvarez-activated-saturday/

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 06:34:22 am »
Well, at least Alvarez is back with Corpus.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/astros-yordan-alvarez-activated-saturday/

He and Cionel Perez are two I hope are still Astros after the trade deadline.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 01:02:24 pm »
He and Cionel Perez are two I hope are still Astros after the trade deadline.

Just shows you how unpredictable prospects can be.  Last year, the Astros pretty much made Martes and Fisher untouchable.  I don't think that anyone would have a problem trading either right now. 
Boom!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 01:29:36 pm »
Just shows you how unpredictable prospects can be.  Last year, the Astros pretty much made Martes and Fisher untouchable.  I don't think that anyone would have a problem trading either right now.

I did not have a problem trading Fisher last year, but the Astros sure did. You are correct. “What have you done lately?”

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 06:44:48 pm »
Didn't the Astros have a president/VP of baseball operations for a while under Drayton?

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 05:16:01 pm »
Wasn’t Martes rumored to be in the Britton deal last year, or was that Musgrove or someone else?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 06:12:35 pm »
Wasn’t Martes rumored to be in the Britton deal last year, or was that Musgrove or someone else?

Lots of rumors

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 06:46:43 pm »
Didn't the Astros have a president/VP of baseball operations for a while under Drayton?
Yes they did.  Even had a hill named after him...Hamburger or Bunker or something.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 06:51:36 pm »
So I had to take a watch in for service, and went to see this guy with a little shop over off of Kirby. He’s exactly what you’d picture...little old guy with one of them magnifiers on his head, small shop with a gazillion watches and clocks all around.at any rate, I walk in wearing an Astros polo shirt and the guy proceeds to spend 15 minutes talking about the Astros before he ever looks at the watch. He went in about how good the team at Fresno is.  I don’t think he reads this site either.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 07:19:51 am »
So I had to take a watch in for service, and went to see this guy with a little shop over off of Kirby. He’s exactly what you’d picture...little old guy with one of them magnifiers on his head, small shop with a gazillion watches and clocks all around.at any rate, I walk in wearing an Astros polo shirt and the guy proceeds to spend 15 minutes talking about the Astros before he ever looks at the watch. He went in about how good the team at Fresno is.  I don’t think he reads this site either.

I got a locksmith in SA that I had the same experience with.  Little old guy, but with keys and locks instead of watches and clocks.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2018, 08:22:46 am »
Yes they did.  Even had a hill named after him...Hamburger or Bunker or something.

Yeah, I couldn't remember what Tal's official title was until I looked it up.  Also, I apparently posted this in the wrong thread, which explains my confusion about not being able to find it.