Author Topic: Rule Change Commentary  (Read 4597 times)

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Up in the Air

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: Rule Change Commentary
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 11:39:53 pm »
Interesting article.  While I find myself agreeing with most of it, I also see an inconsistency.  Much of the complaining about attempts to speed up the game are by the same folks who decry the starting pitcher only going 5 innings, multiple pitching changes, shifts, designate hitters...in short, all the things that have made the games longer.  It's almost as if they're saying "we don't care how long the game takes, as long as it fits in the time frame we think is reasonable."  I get that they're arguing against those specific things, but why?  Because it changes the fundamental nature of the game?  I don't think so.  They're against those things because it slows the game down.  Which they then turn around and argue they don't care about.  It's a vicious circle.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 07:00:40 am »
Interesting article.  While I find myself agreeing with most of it, I also see an inconsistency.  Much of the complaining about attempts to speed up the game are by the same folks who decry the starting pitcher only going 5 innings, multiple pitching changes, shifts, designate hitters...in short, all the things that have made the games longer.  It's almost as if they're saying "we don't care how long the game takes, as long as it fits in the time frame we think is reasonable."  I get that they're arguing against those specific things, but why?  Because it changes the fundamental nature of the game?  I don't think so.  They're against those things because it slows the game down.  Which they then turn around and argue they don't care about.  It's a vicious circle.
I had not thought about it that way, but you are right.  Personally, I do not mind the parts of the game that are "slow" for genuine baseball reasons (including all the delay tactics that batters and pitchers use to get into each others heads).  The only thing that bugs me there is the commercial delays, which so far are less of a problem in baseball than other sports.
Up in the Air

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:25:31 am »
I had not thought about it that way, but you are right.  Personally, I do not mind the parts of the game that are "slow" for genuine baseball reasons (including all the delay tactics that batters and pitchers use to get into each others heads).  The only thing that bugs me there is the commercial delays, which so far are less of a problem in baseball than other sports.

Want to speed up the game?   Stop juicing the balls.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 08:33:52 pm »
Want to speed up the game?   Stop juicing the balls.
I agree with the sentiment, but not for that reason.  My idea of a perfect day at the ballpark is a 1-0 9-inning gem with a few blue star fielding plays and enough base-runners to provide tension.  I do not need a home run (though a warning track fly in the gap is beauty) and I do not need any of this new-fangled speed-the-game-up nonsense.
Up in the Air

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 09:50:27 am »
I agree with the sentiment, but not for that reason.  My idea of a perfect day at the ballpark is a 1-0 9-inning gem with a few blue star fielding plays and enough base-runners to provide tension.  I do not need a home run (though a warning track fly in the gap is beauty) and I do not need any of this new-fangled speed-the-game-up nonsense.

Love your post. You must miss, as I do, Astros baseball circa 1980.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 10:49:26 am »

I generally agree with this, especially with the nonsense comment, but Game Five was thrilling.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 12:54:31 pm »
I generally agree with this, especially with the nonsense comment, but Game Five was thrilling.

Not once during the numerous mounds visits by catchers during the playoffs did I say to myself "oh come on,  get on with it already."

The tension,  if anything, was heightened.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 01:48:17 pm »
Not once during the numerous mounds visits by catchers during the playoffs did I say to myself "oh come on,  get on with it already."

yep.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 01:53:57 pm »

Indeed.

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 04:15:18 pm »

Me too and I agree with game 5. Yet, I found myself wondering at the “bash each other until one drops” style of play of game 5 and how different it was to the Astros style of the late 70’s and 80’s when I became a fan. Then I went back to enjoying the game.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 04:17:42 pm »

I agree. They can put the mitt up over their mouths all they want but you can still see nearly all the drama. That’s a fun part of the game for me.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 05:59:22 pm »
I love the game the way it is, just like every one else on here. Problem is MLB thinks they need to find a way to reach people who don't watch baseball because they say the game is , "too slow, last too long, drags on etc..." They're not trying to speed up games for people like us.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:02:32 pm by Sphinx Drummond »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 06:22:04 pm »
I love the game the way it is, just like every one else on here. Problem is MLB thinks they need to find a way to reach people who don't watch baseball because they say the game is , "too slow, last too long, drags on etc..." They're not trying to speed up games for people like us.

They are NOT going to get those people regardless of what they do.  Quit trying to change the game to suit them. Protect the fan you have.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 09:51:18 pm »

I don't think anyone wants to speed up World Series games.  The gripe is with the Marlins/Padres game in August. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 10:00:13 pm »
I don't think anyone wants to speed up World Series games.  The gripe is with the Marlins/Padres game in August. 

Nobody's watching that anyway. What's the problem?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 08:45:23 am »
They are NOT going to get those people regardless of what they do.  Quit trying to change the game to suit them. Protect the fan you have.
Exactly.
Up in the Air

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 09:55:31 am »
I like a variety of type of games: 1-0, 5-4, 17-9, whatever. However, I don't think the 30 minutes on average they have added since the 80s contains anything interesting. but not sure what to do about it. It's not something easy to remove from the games, I'm pretty sure.

A consistent strike zone and consistent baseball would help pitchers, so maybe start there.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:13:57 am by subnuclear »

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 09:04:54 am »
Honestly, the mound visit limit hasn't seemed intrusive so far.  I can imagine in a extra-extra inning game it could become much more disruptive.

I'm just glad I lived to see the day that First Things got linked here.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 10:30:04 am »

I think you're generally correct, but it was during a World Series McCann mound visit that Smoltz said something like "They'll fix this in the offseason.  They'll limit these mound visits".

I completely agree with the sentiment expressed by several others:  It's a shame when the suits in charge of a sport do crazy shit to "expand the fan base" without regard to the fans the sport already has.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 10:54:28 am »
The non-fan won't even be familiar with the rule or a rule-change.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 11:38:50 am »
As I understand it, the demographics of baseball fans tilt old--significantly more so than the NFL or NBA. Is it the consensus of the board that this either isn't a problem or is a problem that can't be remedied by tweaking the rules?

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 11:57:09 am »
As I understand it, the demographics of baseball fans tilt old--significantly more so than the NFL or NBA.

From a 2017 story listing the average age of viewers:
MLB: 57
NFL: 50
NBA: 42

Other sports:
PGA: 64
NASCAR: 58
CFB: 52
CBKB: 52
NHL: 49
MLS: 40
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 03:04:21 pm »

Other sports:

57 is not old, godammit.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 04:22:16 pm »

Other sports:

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that MLB has fewer 42 year-old fans than the NBA.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 06:09:28 pm »
57 is not old, godammit.

What he said.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 06:54:46 pm »
57 is not old, godammit.
Disappearing in the distance in the rear view mirror.  70 is the new 30.
Up in the Air

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 11:57:07 pm »
Totally.
E come vivo? Vivo.