Author Topic: anyone up in Minneaopolis area?  (Read 2720 times)

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
anyone up in Minneaopolis area?
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:57:16 am »
what is the weather really like? and why did you get rid of the roof.
one word longjohns
forever is composed entirely of nows

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: anyone up in Minneaopolis area?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 11:27:53 am »
Well, it is cold.  1-2 inches of snow fell last night (Sunday into Monday), but I expect that all three games will be played.  The conditions for the Wednesday afternoon game won't be all that different from Sunday's game in Houston (from what I read).

This is my fifth spring in Minnesota (moved here in August 2013).   This is the first rough April in that time.  It is the tenth season since Target Field opened, and the early season weather has generally been okay (it is by no means great, and April crowds typically are small with the Twins wisely scheduling many day games).  If you are going to have an outdoor stadium at this latitude, you probably have to expect 2 out of every 10 years to be a problem.

The retractable roof debate is pretty intense right now, as you would imagine.  To me, MMP is the ideal retractable roof stadium because it does truly feel like an outdoor venue when the lid is open (unlike, say, Miller Park, which is what most people here think of when they hear 'retractable roof').  They would have loved a MMP kind of park here, but since rainouts are not that big of a problem, the percentage of home dates where the roof would have been closed is much lower than it is in Houston.  The cost-benefit ratio for adding a retractable roof to the project  would have been tough to swallow.  As you may recall, getting the stadium deal done was a lot tougher here.  The Twins stayed in the Metrodome about 10 years too long as it was, and the franchise was nearly contracted because that place offered such a horrible fan experience and the team's revenues were in the tank. 

I don't blame them for nixing the roof, especially because Target Field is such an awesome park.  It does mean there will occasionally be days like this (like Mama said).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:20:04 pm by AstroFrog »
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

-Father Cavanaugh, "Rudy"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 11:30:25 am »
thank you. what a wonderful answer. more than I could ever ask for.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 01:18:48 pm »
My weather app says that its 35 degrees.  I believe in Minnipaulius that's considered balmy. They make up some hot dish, down some vodka, and head for the ballpark.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:15:59 pm by NeilT »
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 02:09:55 pm »
The weather talk about the cold is funny to me. It’s 37°F here in DC at 3pm and there has been snow showers on and off all day. Both the Nats and O’s have evening games today and the only talk I hear is from fans wondering how much they should bundle up.

While this is indeed anamolous cold, it’s not that uncommon. Anywhere from the Rockies east and above 35N will get this 1 or 2 times per decade in the first couple of weeks of April. Above 40N and especially 45N, upwards of 4 or 5 times per decade.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 02:15:21 pm »
The weather talk about the cold is funny to me. It’s 37°F here in DC at 3pm and there has been snow showers on and off all day. Both the Nats and O’s have evening games today and the only talk I hear is from fans wondering how much they should bundle up.

While this is indeed anamolous cold, it’s not that uncommon. Anywhere from the Rockies east and above 35N will get this 1 or 2 times per decade in the first couple of weeks of April. Above 40N and especially 45N, upwards of 4 or 5 times per decade.

That's why I stay south of I-10 until July.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 04:25:47 pm »
Ha, if you ever wanted a quick snapshot of the difference between the Cubs and White Sox, take a look at the current MLB scoreboard. Cubs postponed their game and the Sox are coming to bat in the bottom of the 7th in theirs. Same exact weather.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 04:39:18 pm »
Wrigley's farther north.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 05:05:48 pm »
those poor scrubbies

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 05:11:09 pm »
Wrigley's farther north.

But more confined. They're wusses.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 05:55:11 pm »
But more confined. They're wusses.

Friendly confined.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 01:03:37 am »
I'm in Minneapolis for work the next few weeks.  Planning to hit the game Weds night,
It's been COLD and snowing but it's not unbearable.  It's amazing to me that Target Field has no roof.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 07:02:14 am »
I'm in Minneapolis for work the next few weeks.  Planning to hit the game Weds night,
It's been COLD and snowing but it's not unbearable.  It's amazing to me that Target Field has no roof.

Just so you don't show up to an empty stadium: I think Wednesday's game is in the afternoon.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 08:40:13 am »

Noon start Wednesday!

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 09:19:38 am »
Ah fuck.  Thanks for the heads-up!

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 12:48:41 pm »
Scored $20 tickets for Target Field's club level and will be there tonight.  Will be glad to have a place to warm up every couple of innings
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 01:42:06 pm »
For those unusually curious about the weather in Minneapolis so far in April.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DacHaE6WkAMAPXG.jpg:large

It has been the coldest April 1-9 on record.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 08:17:42 pm »
Thanks to SnS I’m at the game tonight too!  Club level $20 tickets are the BEST

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 05:29:47 am »
Thanks to SnS I’m at the game tonight too!  Club level $20 tickets are the BEST

Glad you got to go to the game.  Sorry the Astros didn't give you more to cheer about.