Author Topic: yu wants to go back to the dodgers  (Read 1572 times)

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
yu wants to go back to the dodgers
« on: January 30, 2018, 04:33:51 pm »
forever is composed entirely of nows

jwhudson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Re: yu wants to go back to the dodgers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:09:01 pm »
He is just fishing.  If the Dodgers wanted him, he would be there already.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:11:13 pm »
Dodgers seem determined to stay beneath the cap last I heard. I’m sure they would love to have him back but unless he is willing to take MUCH less money to sign there a reunion is unlikely.

If I was Darvish, I would sign with Milwaukee or Minnesota. Both are good up and coming teams that he could significantly impact. If he signed Minnesota, the front of that rotation with he, Santana and Berrios would be pretty strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 05:18:44 pm »
After his poor post-season I remember him saying he was considering retirement.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 07:34:47 am »
After his poor post-season I remember him saying he was considering retirement.

He had a good postseason until the WS. Cannot believe he was serious.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 09:25:46 am »
He had a good postseason until the WS. Cannot believe he was serious.

It now appears he wasn't. If it was a matter of tipping pitchers, it should be an easy fix, right?

MikeyBoy

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 09:56:13 am »
It now appears he wasn't. If it was a matter of tipping pitchers, it should be an easy fix, right?

I think his issue was attributed to the slick ball and its affect on his slider, it didn't have its normal depth/bite.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 10:01:55 am »
I think his issue was attributed to the slick ball and its affect on his slider, it didn't have its normal depth/bite.

That could be it, too. I believe the issue with the ball was real. I think it hurt Giles. But the pitch tipping was apparently real, too.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:15:22 am »
That could be it, too. I believe the issue with the ball was real. I think it hurt Giles. But the pitch tipping was apparently real, too.

Just about every pitcher said the balls were an issue, but you are right that tipping pitches was probably a bigger factor for Darvish specifically.  Verducci got the scoop:

According to a Houston player, the Astros often knew what Darvish was about to throw by the way he brought the ball into his glove in the set position. (Darvish pitches exclusively out of the stretch.) The player said it worked like this: Darvish holds the ball at his side when he gets the sign from the catcher. Whether he re-grips or not as he brings the ball into his glove was the tip-off whether he was going to throw a slider/cutter or a fastball.

“We knew the first time we faced him [in Game 3],” the player said. “The next time [in Game 7] it was mostly the same, but then it was more about just having a great game plan going in. We knew he was going to try to go back to his slider to find it. We had a great approach.”

Darvish did not make it out of the second inning in either start. He threw 48 sliders and cutters to Houston hitters in the World Series. They swung and missed only twice at them while hitting .556 against the pitch.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 10:30:51 am »
Just about every pitcher said the balls were an issue, but you are right that tipping pitches was probably a bigger factor for Darvish specifically.  Verducci got the scoop:

According to a Houston player Carlos Beltran, the Astros often knew what Darvish was about to throw by the way he brought the ball into his glove in the set position. (Darvish pitches exclusively out of the stretch.) The player Beltran said it worked like this: Darvish holds the ball at his side when he gets the sign from the catcher. Whether he re-grips or not as he brings the ball into his glove was the tip-off whether he was going to throw a slider/cutter or a fastball.

“We knew the first time we faced him [in Game 3],” the player Beltran said. “The next time [in Game 7] it was mostly the same, but then it was more about just having a great game plan going in. We knew he was going to try to go back to his slider to find it. We had a great approach.”

Darvish did not make it out of the second inning in either start. He threw 48 sliders and cutters to Houston hitters in the World Series. They swung and missed only twice at them while hitting .556 against the pitch.

FIFY
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 12:46:27 pm »
No player in his right mind would tell the press the truth about tipping pitches. I think the story was bs maybe planted to fuck with Darvish.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.