Author Topic: Singleton and Deetz suspended  (Read 1256 times)

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Singleton and Deetz suspended
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:28:53 pm »
Singleton gone for 100 games after third positive test. Deetz gone for 80 games.

Jon Singleton Receives 100-Game Suspensionhttps://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/jon-singleton-receives-100-game-suspension.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Always ready to go to a game.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Singleton and Deetz suspended
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 05:28:16 pm »

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:41:54 pm »
Good assessment of Singleton deal in light of his addiction issues.

How expensive is it, really, to play in the major leagues? Clubhouse dues? What else comes out of pocket? Kangaroo court fines. If you're an Astro you'll want some ski goggles. What am I missing?
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 09:37:07 am »
How expensive is it, really, to play in the major leagues? Clubhouse dues? What else comes out of pocket? Kangaroo court fines. If you're an Astro you'll want some ski goggles. What am I missing?

For some reason I'm under the impression that the players have to pay for their own equipment (bats, gloves, cleats, etc...).  But all that stuff is probably provided under endorsement deals anyway. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 12:16:41 pm »
For some reason I'm under the impression that the players have to pay for their own equipment (bats, gloves, cleats, etc...).  But all that stuff is probably provided under endorsement deals anyway.

Players at the Major League level don't have to pay for their equipment.  Most minor leaguers don't either.  It's only in the very low minors that a guy might have to buy his own glove or spikes.  It's not provided by the team, but as you say, it's generally provided by manufacturers.  That said, they do get a 1099 for such equipment and have to pay taxes on it as if it were income. 

Most players also pay things like gym memberships, personal trainers, etc.  That comes out of pocket, but it's also tax deductible as a business expense. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:19:16 pm by HudsonHawk »
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.