Author Topic: yelich  (Read 12249 times)

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
yelich
« on: January 16, 2018, 08:13:21 pm »
According to Crasnick, Yelich's relationship with the Marlins is irretrievably broken and he needs to be traded.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22123963/christian-yelich-relationship-miami-marlins-irretrievably-broken-agent-says

Call me greedy, but I'd love to get Yelich on the Astros.  Let's be real, Tucker would for sure have to be included.  I'd still be hesitant to give up Whitley.  What else gets the deal done?
Boom!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: yelich
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 10:51:00 pm »
According to Crasnick, Yelich's relationship with the Marlins is irretrievably broken and he needs to be traded.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22123963/christian-yelich-relationship-miami-marlins-irretrievably-broken-agent-says

Call me greedy, but I'd love to get Yelich on the Astros.  Let's be real, Tucker would for sure have to be included.  I'd still be hesitant to give up Whitley.  What else gets the deal done?

I wouldn't  give up Whitely. I don't know enough about Yelich to be sure I would give up Tucker either. Tucker may be just as good in a couple of years. This team can win now. You need to keep some budget left for replacing next years needs and a possible trade deadline deal. IF the rumors are true Luhnow more interested in CarGo anyway. That's my two cents.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:47:11 am »
If Luhnow put Tucker off limits for Cole, I doubt he would trade him for an OFer. Who knows?

ETA: Looks to be like he wants a bridge to Tucker, not to replace him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:53:39 am by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Kit

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:00:47 pm »
I love Yelich, and he would be  an upgrade no doubt, but damn, Jake Marisneck sure isn't getting much love anymore. I thought he made great strides last year at the plate and I absolutely love his glove in CF.  . With Fisher, Tucker  etal waiting in the wings, and 4 very good OF's in Marwin, Reddick, Springer and Jake., there's no need to make that trade unless he just falls in our lap for nothing, which won't happen again.
Remember Jesus Alou being called out of the 1st base coaching box to pinch-hit a double vs. the Reds in '79 I think, to win a crucial game, and he patted Morgan on top of the head (ala Benny Hill w/the little bald guy) and Little Joe got pissed.....yeah,that was great.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:12:16 pm »
I love Yelich, and he would be  an upgrade no doubt, but damn, Jake Marisneck sure isn't getting much love anymore. I thought he made great strides last year at the plate and I absolutely love his glove in CF.  . With Fisher, Tucker  etal waiting in the wings, and 4 very good OF's in Marwin, Reddick, Springer and Jake., there's no need to make that trade unless he just falls in our lap for nothing, which won't happen again.

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:44:11 pm »

I know. Patience.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 02:29:35 pm »

POTW.

Made me laugh out loud at work.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 05:33:22 pm »
Yes, because how dare anyone even hint at a belief that a player deserves even 5% more playing time than your very specific feelings on the matter.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 07:03:54 pm »

Springer and Reddick are outfield locks.  Which leaves left field. 

I don't really want to see Marwin in left field.  He's an infielder.

Marisnick, apparently is not viewed as anything more than a 4th outfielder.  He's a GREAT defender and even though his power numbers were quite good last season (16 HRs in 230 ABs), he strikes out a ton and has a crappy OBP, which is counter to what the Astros are doing right now.

I think that Fisher is the wild-card.  He was not great last season.  The fact that the Astros made an offer to Carlos Gonzalez suggests that they don't really see Fisher as a full-time outfielder.  And they were also saying that Moran was going to try playing left field.  However, the fact that the Astros made Fisher untouchable in the Cole negotiations suggests to me that they do have plans for him (or perhaps he is simply trade bait for another or bigger deal). 
Boom!

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 07:19:48 pm »
Yes, because how dare anyone even hint at a belief that a player deserves even 5% more playing time than your very specific feelings on the matter.

Seriously?  Have you paid no attention to how the Astros play him?  I get frustrated by posts of the like because they are a waste of time and indicate the poster has NOT been paying attention.  The ASTROS have treated him as a fourth outfielder since the Gomez trade.  I’m following them.  Hinch used him masterfully as the 4th outfielder.  When he was pressed into more full time duty in August, he tanked offensively, proving the Astros point.  He had fewer at bats this year than any time since he was dealt to Houston.  He hit well in limited and targeted time.  That’s who he is.  The Astros have it figured out.  Why haven’t you?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:22:07 pm »

Marisnick, apparently is not viewed as anything more than a 4th outfielder.  He's a GREAT defender and even though his power numbers were quite good last season (16 HRs in 230 ABs), he strikes out a ton and has a crappy OBP, which is counter to what the Astros are doing right now.

I think that Fisher is the wild-card.  He was not great last season.  The fact that the Astros made an offer to Carlos Gonzalez suggests that they don't really see Fisher as a full-time outfielder.  And they were also saying that Moran was going to try playing left field.  However, the fact that the Astros made Fisher untouchable in the Cole negotiations suggests to me that they do have plans for him (or perhaps he is simply trade bait for another or bigger deal).

I really thought they were going to deal Fisher now and sign a stop gap to Tucker.  Unless he has a quality season Fisher’s value is as high as it’s going to get.
Goin' for a bus ride.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:59 pm »
I really thought they were going to deal Fisher now and sign a stop gap to Tucker. 

I still believe this is likely.  There are a number of decent free agent outfielders besides Cargo.  Although, I can't lie that I'd like to see Cargo in Houston. 
Boom!

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 09:56:32 pm »
At this point, I think they may just go to ST with Fisher, showcase him there (and cross their fingers that he shows well), and then wait to see who finds themselves with a need because of ST injuries.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 10:34:33 pm »
Seriously?  Have you paid no attention to how the Astros play him?  I get frustrated by posts of the like because they are a waste of time and indicate the poster has NOT been paying attention.  The ASTROS have treated him as a fourth outfielder since the Gomez trade.  I’m following them.  Hinch used him masterfully as the 4th outfielder.  When he was pressed into more full time duty in August, he tanked offensively, proving the Astros point.  He had fewer at bats this year than any time since he was dealt to Houston.  He hit well in limited and targeted time.  That’s who he is.  The Astros have it figured out.  Why haven’t you?

This. Masterfully said.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 10:52:21 pm »
First of all, perhaps if YOU paid attention to what you're reading, you'd realize that the post in question is not suggesting the Astros should make Jake a full-time starter. Nor was I, in the other thread. It's possible both for people to like Jake, and express admiration for his skills, and to also think that the Astros should aim for a better player to play full time. We're basically in agreement - Jake is the 4th OF on this team - I don't understand why you get so upset by discussions of the extent to which he might play (he has averaged over 300 PAs the last 3 years). Typically people post on this board because they like to discuss the Astros.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 05:56:05 am »
"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."

"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."

"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 06:56:56 am »

Springer played about half his games last season in right, Reddick about a third of his games in left.  Barring a trade or injury, and unless things are more fixed in the outfield than they were last season, I expect you'll see some rotation of Marisnick and Fisher with Reddick and Springer moving between fields.  Marwin will only be in left randomly.

"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 08:06:15 am »
Springer played about half his games last season in right, Reddick about a third of his games in left.  Barring a trade or injury, and unless things are more fixed in the outfield than they were last season, I expect you'll see some rotation of Marisnick and Fisher with Reddick and Springer moving between fields.  Marwin will only be in left randomly.

Many of Marisnick’s appearances last year with for late inning defense with Springer moving to RF and Reddick to LF. Hinch did this with Maybin also, most notably in the 10th inning in Game 5, and Reddick made a running backhand catch in LF on Turner Marwin may not have made.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 08:06:59 am »
"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."

"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."

"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."

This. So this.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 08:17:04 am »
This. So this.

Yeah, but Jake is hot.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 09:05:03 am »
It's a shame about Jake. He's is hot but he is also what he is.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 09:47:53 am »
"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."

"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."

"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."
There is your POTWA entry.
Up in the Air

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 09:55:22 am »
"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."

"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."

"Jake is what he is."

"Yeah, but..."
"McCullers shouldn't even be on the postseason roster."

"Yeah, but..."

"Yeah, but..."

"Yeah, but..."

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 10:33:32 am »
if its and buts were cy young winners and gold glovers the astros would never have another worry and this site would shut down
forever is composed entirely of nows

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 11:16:33 am »

"Yeah, but..."

"Yeah, but..."

"Yeah, but..."

That's why McCullers wasn't on the postseason roster.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 11:44:28 am »
Just to put some actual numbers on things, here's how the Astros outfield fell out last year:

Springer:  appeared in 140 games/started 137, 85 cf, 78 rf
Reddick:  134/121, 48 lf, 11 cf, 102 rf
Aoki: 71/56, 56 lf, 16 rf
Gonzalez:  134/120, 47 lf, 2 rf
Marisnick:  106/65, 6 lf, 93 cf, 3 rf
Fisher:  53/39, 38 lf, 3 cf, 12 rf
Beltran: 129/118, 13 lf, 1 rf

I assume the appearances numbers are game appearances and not starts, but that should account for substantially all of the outfield starts for the year.  I think from that it's clear that Marisnick will be the 2018 left fielder.  The one thing most interesting to me is how many appearances Beltran made as a DH. 

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:51:38 am by NeilT »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 12:53:20 pm »
That's why McCullers wasn't on the postseason roster.

He almost was not. Passed over for Peacock, mopup duty only in a lost Boston game. Come to Jesus moment for him.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 12:54:52 pm »
Just to put some actual numbers on things, here's how the Astros outfield fell out last year:

Springer:  appeared in 140 games/started 137, 85 cf, 78 rf
Reddick:  134/121, 48 lf, 11 cf, 102 rf
Aoki: 71/56, 56 lf, 16 rf
Gonzalez:  134/120, 47 lf, 2 rf
Marisnick:  106/65, 6 lf, 93 cf, 3 rf
Fisher:  53/39, 38 lf, 3 cf, 12 rf
Beltran: 129/118, 13 lf, 1 rf

I assume the appearances numbers are game appearances and not starts, but that should account for substantially all of the outfield starts for the year.  I think from that it's clear that Marisnick will be the 2018 left fielder.  The one thing most interesting to me is how many appearances Beltran made as a DH.

Huh?

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 01:01:11 pm »
McCullers was below his capabilities. Jake is at his.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 01:29:05 pm »
Huh?

That unless there's a trade or a free agent or an injury, what you'll see next season is just about that, with Fisher and Marisnick splitting starts based on the pitcher.  Unless Fisher really can't hit right-handed pitchers.  I'm just wondering where Beltran's at bats go. 

ETA:  The left fielder was a joke.  It was out of left field.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:35:38 pm by NeilT »

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 01:32:40 pm »
McCullers was below his capabilities. Jake is at his.

No reason to think though that Jake isn't in the outfield about the same as last year, unless he's traded, or Fisher is traded.  Do you think Fisher is at his?  Do you think the Astros think Fisher is?

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 01:40:39 pm »
No reason to think though that Jake isn't in the outfield about the same as last year, unless he's traded, or Fisher is traded.  Do you think Fisher is at his?  Do you think the Astros think Fisher is?

I'm of the opinion that Jake will be treated the same as he always has and that Fisher still has an upside that the Astros don't think they have seen yet. I don't think it will be a surprise if neither is the regular LF once the season begins.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 01:47:52 pm »
I'm of the opinion that Jake will be treated the same as he always has and that Fisher still has an upside that the Astros don't think they have seen yet. I don't think it will be a surprise if neither is the regular LF once the season begins.

Agreed, and me either.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 02:18:16 pm »
I'll say this about Jake, he is just 26 and has at times demonstrated some exceptional tools. Guys like Josh Donaldson, Justin Turner, and J.D. Martinez weren't much at age 26. So he is what he is but I guess that kind of depends on what is is and shit like that but the fact is, you never know until you know and you are what you is until you're not. He might fix those holes in his swing, he might not.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2018, 02:31:31 pm »
I'll say this about Jake, he is just 26 and has at times demonstrated some exceptional tools. Guys like Josh Donaldson, Justin Turner, and J.D. Martinez weren't much at age 26. So he is what he is but I guess that kind of depends on what is is and shit like that but the fact is, you never know until you know and you are what you is until you're not. He might fix those holes in his swing, he might not.

I'm in complete agreement with this one. "You're a flop until you're a success" is the showbiz cliche. I understand that Jake isn't going to get a shot to start with this team (nor do I think he should), but he it's entirely possible he can be more than a 4th OF. I don't get the certainty that he's already hit his ceiling.
Grab another Coke and let's die

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2018, 02:52:22 pm »
For the record, I'm not anti-Jake and I agree that there's potential he can be more than he's shown to be over his time here. I just don't think that will be with the Astros and that, barring injuries, the chances they treat him any differently at this point are slim.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2018, 03:50:15 pm »
For the record, I'm not anti-Jake and I agree that there's potential he can be more than he's shown to be over his time here. I just don't think that will be with the Astros and that, barring injuries, the chances they treat him any differently at this point are slim.

I agree there appears to be more talent in his body than he has otherwise shown.  But.  I have not heard that he has tried to make changes to what he's doing offensively to tap into what appears to be unused potential, ala JD Martinez.  Showing improvement would put the Astros on notice that more than 230 at bats in a season is warranted.

At the end of the day give me Hinch's eye for how much and when he's used whether it's 500 at bats or 50.
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 04:16:52 pm »
I agree there appears to be more talent in his body than he has otherwise shown.  But.  I have not heard that he has tried to make changes to what he's doing offensively to tap into what appears to be unused potential, ala JD Martinez.  Showing improvement would put the Astros on notice that more than 230 at bats in a season is warranted.

At the end of the day give me Hinch's eye for how much and when he's used whether it's 500 at bats or 50.

Marisnick showed a lot more production last year.
2016   .588 OPS in 259 ABs.
2017   .815 OPS in 311 ABs.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 04:24:45 pm »

He had 287 at bats in 2016 and only 230 at bats in 2017.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 04:38:11 pm »

2016 - 311 PAs - 287 ABs - .588 OPS
2017 - 259 PAs - 230 ABs - .815 OPS

~20% fewer ABs in 2017. Most of the improvement was in power.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:41:45 pm by Ty in Tampa »

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 05:02:26 pm »

an .815 OPS on an outstanding defensive center fielder is pretty good, and that's certainly the right direction.  Did he start off hot?  Seems like he wasn't near that in August. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2018, 05:07:06 pm »
an .815 OPS on an outstanding defensive center fielder is pretty good, and that's certainly the right direction.  Did he start off hot?  Seems like he wasn't near that in August.

Based on memory, he had a good first half. Two HR game in Miami (both were really cranked) was perhaps the highlight. That was mid-May.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »
2016 - 311 PAs - 287 ABs - .588 OPS
2017 - 259 PAs - 230 ABs - .815 OPS

~20% fewer ABs in 2017. Most of the improvement was in power.

A big part of the at-bats must have been giving time to Aoki, and a little more the injury.   On the flip side both Springer and Reddick spent time on the DL that Marisnick probably filled.  Man this team was injured a lot.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 05:10:14 pm »

He hit 16 HRs last year which is the crux of his improvement.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 05:11:52 pm »
He hit 16 HRs last year which is the crux of his improvement.

I think 16 HRs was last year's league minimum.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 05:13:10 pm »
He had 287 at bats in 2016 and only 230 at bats in 2017.

You're right....I picked up the Plate Appearances numbers for some reason.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 06:52:42 pm »
Based on memory, he had a good first half. Two HR game in Miami (both were really cranked) was perhaps the highlight. That was mid-May.

Check out his month by month numbers.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 07:20:16 pm »
Check out his home/road splits.

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 08:41:33 pm »
He was incredible up until August. Despite that month he still had a well above average second half. He also sat out some games in August with a tweaked groin.
Those home/road splits are interesting. Maybe he parties too much on the road.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2018, 09:43:53 pm »
He was incredible up until August. Despite that month he still had a well above average second half. He also sat out some games in August with a tweaked groin.
Those home/road splits are interesting. Maybe he parties too much on the road.

Incredible. Marisnick. Hyperbole much? He hit 16 Home runs. He also struck out a ton.

He is a great 4th OFer, and Hinch knows how to use him. Why is that not enough?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2018, 11:05:57 pm »

Why don't you just tell me? I'm getting tired tired of this whole thread. While you are at it, what is your point?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2018, 06:25:32 am »
Why don't you just tell me? I'm getting tired tired of this whole thread. While you are at it, what is your point?

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/31195/jake-marisnick

There's a lot of interesting stuff in there.  The home-road splits are incredible.  In 123 bats away he hit .187, in 107 bats at home .308.  That's either some serious partying or bad homesickness.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2018, 08:49:00 am »

You wrote you were going by memory about his first half.  In reality he had a good July as well.
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2018, 09:18:00 am »
You wrote you were going by memory about his first half.  In reality he had a good July as well.

OK. Thanks.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2018, 09:25:56 am »

There's a lot of interesting stuff in there.  The home-road splits are incredible.  In 123 bats away he hit .187, in 107 bats at home .308.  That's either some serious partying or bad homesickness.

He must have stayed in the room in Miami which is a pretty big party-town.

Clearly he should be the everyday RFer. He has a .1000 OBP. One appearance and a BB.   But his Home AB/HR ratio....1/10. Pretty impressive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:39:31 am by juliogotay »

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2018, 09:40:16 am »
He must have stayed in the room in Miami which is a pretty big party-town.

Clearly he should be the everyday RFer. He has a .1000 OBP. One appearance and a BB.   But his Home AB/HR ratio....1/10. Pretty impressive.

Just think how he'd have done if he'd been in left.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2018, 10:00:12 am »
Just think how he'd have done if he'd been in left.

He had more ABs in LF that I recall. The one time I do recall him playing LF was in Yankee Stadium in early May. Genius move by Hinch.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2018, 10:33:34 am »
He had more ABs in LF that I recall. The one time I do recall him playing LF was in Yankee Stadium in early May. Genius move by Hinch.

Genius.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2018, 01:39:56 pm »
Clearly he should be the everyday RFer. He has a .1000 OBP.

A .100 OBP is pretty terrible.  Cut him.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2018, 01:53:26 pm »
A .100 OBP is pretty terrible.  Cut him.

That's why I always use the Oxford decimal. 

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2018, 03:26:43 pm »
I agree there appears to be more talent in his body than he has otherwise shown.  But.  I have not heard that he has tried to make changes to what he's doing offensively to tap into what appears to be unused potential, ala JD Martinez.

That's the thing I love about the Astros:  Way things are > Way things appear

- The tall, fast, muscular guy that "looks" like a ballplayer gets 230 AB's
- The short, somewhat fast, reasonably fit guy that looks like a dad at the playground gets 590 AB's and a league MVP

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2018, 08:53:31 am »
I wish you folks with sources would find out what is going on with Carlos Gonzalez.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2018, 09:25:58 am »
I wish you folks with sources would find out what is going on with Carlos Gonzalez.

He's still represented by Scott Boras.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2018, 09:30:30 am »
Incredible. Marisnick. Hyperbole much? He hit 16 Home runs. He also struck out a ton.

He is a great 4th OFer, and Hinch knows how to use him. Why is that not enough?

This...times 1,000,000.  I too used to hold out hope that Marisnick could be an everyday .280/25HR/100R kind of guy.  He's just not.  But he's a valuable guy to have around.  Every team wishes they had a Jake Marisnick as their 4th outfielder.  Accept him for what he is, and be grateful.  Don't try to make him into something he's not. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 09:31:54 am »

Did I miss the feud between Crane/Luhnow and Boras?  I know Mclane didn't like him, but what happened to carry that over to the current leadership?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2018, 09:47:32 am »

Did not know that. Crane talked about Boras in the interview Navin linked, and Crane sounded ok with him.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2018, 10:23:22 am »
Did not know that. Crane talked about Boras in the interview Navin linked, and Crane sounded ok with him.

I'm sure they have very cordial dinners with expensive wine and Crane/Luhnow all-the-while are thinking "your client expects what?".

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 10:37:27 am »
Did I miss the feud between Crane/Luhnow and Boras?  I know Mclane didn't like him, but what happened to carry that over to the current leadership?

Few big ticket Boras clients have signed.  From what I’ve read he’s aiming far higher than teams are so far willing to go.
Goin' for a bus ride.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 10:42:15 am »
Boras represents Eric Hosmer, J.D. Martinez, Jake Arrieta, Mike Moustakas, Greg Holland, Carlos Gonzalez and Carlos Gomez, none of whom have signed a contract.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 10:58:08 am »
Few big ticket Boras clients have signed.  From what I’ve read he’s aiming far higher than teams are so far willing to go.

But they will.  Just seems there is this feeling that the Astros refuse to negotiate with a Boras client.  Didn't know that was still the case. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2018, 11:17:33 am »
But they will.  Just seems there is this feeling that the Astros refuse to negotiate with a Boras client.  Didn't know that was still the case.

I doubt it is.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2018, 11:27:44 am »
I doubt it is.

FWIW, I agree with Jim.
Goin' for a bus ride.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2018, 01:44:23 pm »

I don’t know of any issues, except that Boras clients generally aren’t signing yet.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2018, 05:01:04 pm »
Boras is in no hurry to have his clients sign. He doesn't get any kind of early signing bonus. I suspect as Spring Training nears, he will start backing off on his demands in order to get his clients work.

I'm pretty sure Boston would sign J.D. today if they could get him at $20MM a year for 5 years, I think Boras started out asking for something like $25MM a year for 10 years.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:16:14 pm by Sphinx Drummond »

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2018, 05:53:48 pm »

Actually, look at his numbers at MMP.  The "home" numbers must include the games that the Astros played in Tampa.  His actual home numbers are ridiculously good. 
Boom!

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2018, 07:04:34 pm »
Actually, look at his numbers at MMP.  The "home" numbers must include the games that the Astros played in Tampa.  His actual home numbers are ridiculously good.
Maybe he's just really glad that Tal's Hill is gone. And being in the batters' box at home, looking out at the new batters' eye just fills him with happy thoughts.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2018, 07:32:05 pm »

Maybe they should platoon him with Altuve. 

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2018, 08:22:09 pm »
Maybe they should platoon him with Altuve.

Good lord.

They’re both right handed.  It’d never work.
Goin' for a bus ride.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2018, 08:32:36 pm »
Good lord.

They’re both right handed.  It’d never work.

That made me laugh. 

Randy Watson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2018, 12:14:19 pm »
For his career, Carlos Gonzalez is a bad hitter outside of Coors Field.  He would be wise to stay there.  I'd rather his at bats go to Fisher and Jake.  And then, if we need a LF at the deadline, make a move.  They aren't that expensive to get typically.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2018, 01:31:59 pm »
For his career, Carlos Gonzalez is a bad hitter outside of Coors Field.  He would be wise to stay there.  I'd rather his at bats go to Fisher and Jake.  And then, if we need a LF at the deadline, make a move.  They aren't that expensive to get typically.

I hope you called Luhnow to tell him this. He offered Gonzalez a contract.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2018, 10:18:40 pm »

I hope you called Luhnow to tell him this. He offered Gonzalez a contract.
Are you sure? I can’t find anything that says that. But I am a terrible google-er.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2018, 06:39:08 am »
Are you sure? I can’t find anything that says that. But I am a terrible google-er.

Am I sure? Hell, no. I have no sources of real information, but local and national baseball writers have said so more than once.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2018, 08:31:12 am »

The tweet
Always ready to go to a game.

Randy Watson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2018, 02:30:48 pm »
Wonder what the offer was?  Doubt it was much.  Makes no sense.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2018, 04:01:18 pm »
Wonder what the offer was?  Doubt it was much.  Makes no sense.

To you perhaps. To Luhnow, it does.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2018, 06:17:11 pm »
For whatever it's worth, Brewers supposedly made an offer for Yelich.  Domingo Santana apparently could be one of the pieces.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-brewers-have-reportedly-made-trade-offer-for-marlins-christian-yelich/
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2018, 07:37:04 am »
Everyone here keeps talking about LF, left-handed RP (which I agree, would be a nice get), Yelich, etc.  Am I the only one worried about Giles as our closer?  I was worried about him early last season.  Many here told me to calm down and that Giles would be fine.  He was for most of the season and I came around to the idea he was the man, but then then the post season came around and he became the forgotten man out there by AJ.  What do ya'll think?  Is MGT sold on Giles or do you think they are looking to upgrade?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2018, 08:20:44 am »
Everyone here keeps talking about LF, left-handed RP (which I agree, would be a nice get), Yelich, etc.  Am I the only one worried about Giles as our closer?  I was worried about him early last season.  Many here told me to calm down and that Giles would be fine.  He was for most of the season and I came around to the idea he was the man, but then then the post season came around and he became the forgotten man out there by AJ.  What do ya'll think?  Is MGT sold on Giles or do you think they are looking to upgrade?

I've never been Giles' biggest fan.  I think he leaves far too many pitches in hittable locations.  But the Astros are saying he's their guy so I don't think they're looking, and there's not much point to talking about replacing him right now.
Goin' for a bus ride.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2018, 08:31:31 am »
I've never been Giles' biggest fan.  I think he leaves far too many pitches in hittable locations.  But the Astros are saying he's their guy so I don't think they're looking, and there's not much point to talking about replacing him right now.

I keep reminding myself that A) Giles is a really, really good pitcher and the best closer this team has had since Lidge and B) Joe Smith and Hector Rondon both have closing experience.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2018, 08:38:11 am »
I'm guessing the Astros are fine with starting the season with Giles and hoping that either he has a great year or, if he doesn't, then one of the young pitchers (Martes, Gustave, Paulino) separates themselves as an option to take over that role.  I know those guys seem like a long shot as closer right now, but I still think bullpens are fungible despite the recent free agent market demand for relievers.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2018, 08:59:54 am »

I believe the WS ball was different and it bothered some guys more than others. I remember hearing the guys that threw a lot of sliders were more effected. Giles struggles without a sharp slider. He was better in the AL postseason. I choose to believe he will be ok next season.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2018, 09:21:27 am »
I'm guessing the Astros are fine with starting the season with Giles and hoping that either he has a great year or, if he doesn't, then one of the young pitchers (Martes, Gustave, Paulino) separates themselves as an option to take over that role.  I know those guys seem like a long shot as closer right now, but I still think bullpens are fungible despite the recent free agent market demand for relievers.

Or, if they aren't satisfied with Giles and are unable to trade for someone at the deadline, they move McCullers into that role and slot Whitley into his spot in the rotation.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2018, 09:42:40 am »
Or, if they aren't satisfied with Giles and are unable to trade for someone at the deadline, they move McCullers into that role and slot Whitley into his spot in the rotation.

I've convinced myself that McCullers' future is closing.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2018, 09:59:27 am »

Not me. I do not think he has the temperament or command to close.

I think Giles was affected by the ball. His fast ball may be 100, but it is straight, and hitters were sitting on it. All closers blow saves, and he was very good in the regular season.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2018, 10:07:20 am »
Not me. I do not think he has the temperament or command to close.

I think Giles was affected by the ball. His fast ball may be 100, but it is straight, and hitters were sitting on it. All closers blow saves, and he was very good in the regular season.

I think Giles is fine and there certainly aren't any better options on the FA market now that Davis has signed with the Rockies.  I also agree that the well-established issues with the balls in the World Series had a more significant affect on his game because his slider is his primary pitch.  But he wasn't particularly good in the ALDS or ALCS either where the ball wasn't an issue. 

As for McCullers' temperament, I think his ego and general sense of fuck you-ness serves well as a closer.  His command needs to come together to succeed either as a starter or a closer. 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2018, 10:13:51 am »
I watched through a series of Giles closing innings in the off-season, and thought that he'd be back this year.  He's sometimes brilliant, and it's still worth harnessing if they can.  It'll be interesting to see how he does this season. 

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2018, 11:39:30 am »
I keep reminding myself that A) Giles is a really, really good pitcher and the best closer this team has had since Lidge
Small nit: I think Valverde was better than Giles (so far).

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2018, 12:28:58 pm »
Small nit: I think Valverde was better than Giles (so far).

Forgot about him!  Then again, Papa Grande never got to pitch in the playoffs (in Houston).  I'll never forget him taking a liner off the noggin and then finishing the save.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2018, 02:07:03 pm »
I think Giles is fine and there certainly aren't any better options on the FA market now that Davis has signed with the Rockies.  I also agree that the well-established issues with the balls in the World Series had a more significant affect on his game because his slider is his primary pitch.  But he wasn't particularly good in the ALDS or ALCS either where the ball wasn't an issue. 

As for McCullers' temperament, I think his ego and general sense of fuck you-ness serves well as a closer.  His command needs to come together to succeed either as a starter or a closer.

I am not talking about ego or a nasty streak. A closer must be unflappable, and he is the textbook definition of flappable to me. He is visibly upset when things like a bad call or bad luck tonot go his way, and I think he loses his composure more easily than a closer can. Perhaps maturation will solve this, and perhaps the last two playoff series began this process.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:58:48 pm by JimR »

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2018, 02:41:03 pm »
I'm not sure balls fully explain Giles' troubles in the series.  His slider has always been inconsistent.  I doubt he'll ever have plus mental toughness, but consistency with his slider would greatly reduce that flaw.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2018, 02:44:20 pm »
I am not talking about ego or a nasty streak. A closer but be unflappable, and he is the textbook definition of flappable to me. He is visibly upset when things like a bad call or bad luck tonot go his way, and I think he loses his composure more easily than a closer can. Perhaps maturation will solve this, and perhaps the last two playoff series began this process.

That's a good point.  Hopefully he can continue to build on his experiences. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »
I'm not sure balls fully explain Giles' troubles in the series.  His slider has always been inconsistent.  I doubt he'll ever have plus mental toughness, but consistency with his slider would greatly reduce that flaw.

I absolutely do not doubt his mental toughness.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2018, 05:03:04 pm »
You are either a great persuasive speaker or a naive listener.
Up in the Air

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2018, 06:36:16 pm »

As I read this, I had the sickening image of Dave Dravecky, what with the average starter throwing at 80%-ish to last a fair number of innings and a closer going at near 100% from the get-go. I hope it’s an (irrational) fear on my part about McCullers’ durability.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2018, 09:11:09 pm »
You are either a great persuasive speaker or a naive listener.
The head sells the heart.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2018, 05:21:27 pm »
Yelich to Brewers

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2018, 06:59:36 pm »
Well crap.  At least he is staying in the NL.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2018, 07:34:47 pm »
Well crap.  At least he is staying in the NL.

The Brewers gave up some very high ceiling prospects to get him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
yelich
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2018, 09:44:23 pm »
I watched through a series of Giles closing innings in the off-season, and thought that he'd be back this year.  He's sometimes brilliant, and it's still worth harnessing if they can.  It'll be interesting to see how he does this season.
I’m not throwing in the towel on Giles yet either, but I think this season is REAL important for him if he wants to continue to close for this team. It will be interesting to see how he rebounds from the playoff debacle. I felt his entire season was a roller coaster. I know he had what, 34 saves, and that is production. But it seemed like once a week he would come in with a two run lead, give up a run and then barely hang on. That isn’t what I want from my closer. When you look at his stats, 2 years in Philly and 2 years here, practically every category is worse since the trade than before. While some seem like small deviations, in a closing roll a small “tick” of a number the wrong way is the difference in winning and losing. He has to get back to the lower walk and lower home run rate he had in Philly. If he can do that he’s golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:56:50 pm by TerryPuhl21 »

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
yelich
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2018, 09:50:10 pm »
I must admit I’ve had thoughts of that myself. I don’t think it an outlandish idea, but I’m we glad we have Smith and Rondon to fall back on instead.

I will say this, if LMJ once again fails to pitch a full season as a starter and keeps going on the DL, I’m all for giving him a shot at the job if for some reason we need to address that role after this season. Perhaps if he only had to pitch 70-75 innings a year he could pitch the full season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:59:22 pm by TerryPuhl21 »

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2018, 07:44:16 am »
I am not talking about ego or a nasty streak. A closer must be unflappable, and he is the textbook definition of flappable to me. He is visibly upset when things like a bad call or bad luck tonot go his way, and I think he loses his composure more easily than a closer can. Perhaps maturation will solve this, and perhaps the last two playoff series began this process.

I had many of the same thoughts about McCullers, especially the last sentence.  Both Game 7's were particularly eye-opening: in the ALCS he mowed people down and perhaps showed a glimpse of what he might look like in a closer's role, while in the World Series he faced a ton of adversity in a win-or-go-home scenario and held it together.  They are small sample sizes for sure, but I don't worry about his temperament as much as I used to.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2018, 12:56:08 pm »
The Brewers gave up some very high ceiling prospects to get him.

If you look at Sickel's updated Marlins prospect list, he ranks Brinson, Harrison, and Diaz, #1, 3 , 4 in the Marlins system.  Former busrider Jorge Guzman is ranked 2.

Listening to the various "experts" this morning, it seems that there is a good deal of disagreement about Brinson.

Would a similar Astros package have been Tucker, Mattijevic, Sierra, Trent Thornton?

In any event, the Brewers got a lot better yesterday.  And if anyone is looking for an outfielder, the Brewers are definitely the team to go to with Broxton and Phillips certainly available.  Probably hurts the market further for free agent outfielders.
Boom!

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2018, 01:14:33 pm »
If you look at Sickel's updated Marlins prospect list, he ranks Brinson, Harrison, and Diaz, #1, 3 , 4 in the Marlins system.  Former busrider Jorge Guzman is ranked 2.

Listening to the various "experts" this morning, it seems that there is a good deal of disagreement about Brinson.

Would a similar Astros package have been Tucker, Mattijevic, Sierra, Trent Thornton?

In any event, the Brewers got a lot better yesterday.  And if anyone is looking for an outfielder, the Brewers are definitely the team to go to with Broxton and Phillips certainly available.  Probably hurts the market further for free agent outfielders.

Former Astros Ast. GM Stearns is perhaps building something in Milwaukee.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2018, 01:32:52 pm »

I think it would've taken Tucker and Yordan Alvarez, plus a lesser guy. Or maybe the Fish would've considered Fisher/Alvarez/Bukauskas or something like that.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2018, 01:46:06 pm »

The package, as similar as I think I can make it talent wise, would be Fisher, Bukaskus, Alvarez, and someone like Armenteros.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2018, 08:10:57 am »
The package, as similar as I think I can make it talent wise, would be Fisher, Bukaskus, Alvarez, and someone like Armenteros.

Quite a haul.