Author Topic: Victory Parade  (Read 2867 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Victory Parade
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:39:55 am »
Is tomorrow at 2:00.  It's going right by my office.  I'm scheduled to be off, but I may just have to find a few things to do around the office.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
Re: Victory Parade
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:13:12 am »
I'm going with a group of friends.  Not sure where we'll be though.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:21:13 am »
I'm going with a group of friends.  Not sure where we'll be though.

Same.   Gonna uber down there at 1PM, take a throw away cooler.   Then head somewhere for drinks afterwards, I'd like to go to 1820 Lounge, but they don't open until 4.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 11:41:13 am »
I work downtown so will be heading over at some point after noon. Maybe 1820 will reconsider its hours tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 11:49:29 am »
Just an FYI...they're expecting over 1 million people along the route.  There is no place to park.  The streets will obviously be blocked off, and the parade will go against the normal one-way direction along Smith Street.  It will be an all-day event. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 12:07:11 pm »
Just an FYI...they're expecting over 1 million people along the route.  There is no place to park.  The streets will obviously be blocked off, and the parade will go against the normal one-way direction along Smith Street.  It will be an all-day event.

HISD just announced that all schools are closed tomorrow so staff and students can celebrate.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 12:08:13 pm »
Has there been any word of TV coverage, possibly streaming, so us away folks can enjoy?
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 12:09:12 pm »
Has there been any word of TV coverage, possibly streaming, so us away folks can enjoy?

I haven't seen any yet, but you will certainly be able to stream it off one of the local NBC/FOX/CBS/ABC channels.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:20 pm »

I watched the Royals parade on the MLB Channel.  I think they showed it in prime time on the same day.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:51 pm »
I watched the Royals parade on the MLB Channel.  I think they showed it in prime time on the same day.

I'm assuming MLB Network will at least show some of it.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »
I'm assuming MLB Network will at least show some of it.

They certainly have some time to fill this time of year.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 01:07:09 pm »
Goin' for a bus ride.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 01:07:33 pm »
Just saw on MLB Network, they will televise the parade tomorrow at 2:00pm CST.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 02:01:40 pm »
Does anyone know if they're going to run shuttles or anything since parking is limited downtown?
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 02:05:23 pm »
Does anyone know if they're going to run shuttles or anything since parking is limited downtown?

I plan on taking the train.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 03:04:02 pm »
Luckys by the stadium is opening at 9AM tomorrow.  Thinking about ubering there for drinks before the parade.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 08:28:19 pm »
Little Woodrows in Midtown opens at noon, it is about a 10 minute walk to parade route from there.   Flying Saucer opens at 11.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 10:30:02 am »
It's 10:30, and there have been crowds downtown since 8:00.  My daughter says at her building, Shell Plaza, the streets are already crowded.  The quilt convention is Houston's largest convention, and it's in full swing on the east side. There are quiltin' ladies everywhere.  There was a long line at MMPUS for the store.  Surface lots are $20-30.

On the other hand I got invited to the pre-parade VIP reception.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 10:44:00 am »
Daughter Austin reports that the blow horns and screaming are going full blast.  She also reports that it's gonna get old.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 11:48:26 am »
Just got an email:

"If you're downtown and intend to leave, please do so now". 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 11:56:55 am »
Daughter Austin reports that the blow horns and screaming are going full blast.  She also reports that it's gonna get old.

No it isn't.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 06:45:15 pm »
It's 10:30, and there have been crowds downtown since 8:00.  My daughter says at her building, Shell Plaza, the streets are already crowded.  The quilt convention is Houston's largest convention, and it's in full swing on the east side. There are quiltin' ladies everywhere.  There was a long line at MMPUS for the store.  Surface lots are $20-30.

On the other hand I got invited to the pre-parade VIP reception.

My wife thought she could sneak over from the quilt show to the MMPUS team store at lunch yesterday to score some apparel, but when she got near the place she could see the line wrapped around the corner(s?). Some other ladies were coming back, so she asked about the wait, and they said they had gotten there when the line was much shorter, and it still took them two hours to get through. Wife turned around. We'll wait for the second run of merch.

On the plus side, she said that going out to my daughter's place on Wednesday night around 9:30 she encountered the least traffic she had ever seen in Houston.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 09:36:05 pm »
I went into the Dick's Sporting Goods store in New Braunfels yesterday morning and there was a large number of people buying Astros World Series swag. I went a little crazy and bought a flag for my car, a sheet of sticker/decals, a car license plate holder, a couple of tee shirts and a ballcap.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 10:08:31 pm »
Uber'd to Little Woodrows in Midtown.   Drank some beers and walked to the parade.   Glad I went to witness the first ever Astros World Series parade, but yeah, I will watch next years on TV.

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 01:16:40 pm »
I was impressed -- the Academy in Waco (which has carried literally zero Astros stuff all year) had the official championship t-shirts when I went by at noon the day after Game 7. Also had a couple other shelves of Astros Postseason 2017 and general Astros gear, all at the front. And there was a pretty decent group of people picking through it all, too.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 09:46:14 am »
I went into the Dick's Sporting Goods store in New Braunfels yesterday morning and there was a large number of people buying Astros World Series swag. I went a little crazy and bought a flag for my car, a sheet of sticker/decals, a car license plate holder, a couple of tee shirts and a ballcap.

I bet you saw my wife and her mother there. She said it wasn't nearly as packed as they thought it would be. It was pretty cool to come home to a bunch of World Championship swag.