Author Topic: The Void  (Read 4855 times)

Señor Stan

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
The Void
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:14:36 am »
Seems different somehow...

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: The Void
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 06:52:12 am »
Seems different somehow...

This one's better than most. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 06:59:57 am »
My God.  It's full of stars.

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:30 am »
Boom!

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:07:05 am »
They avoided it for as long as they could....
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:09:01 am »
A Void to remember forever.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 09:14:42 am »
I finally threw in the towel around 2 this morning. Watched every interview, at least once, on both the MLB Network and FOX Sports1 once the big FOX signed off. Could not let it go...taking in every word and enjoying, so much, the elation of the players and coaches while thinking that this is such a classy bunch that deserved this moment and worked hard to attain it. And thinking how managements' plan came together to get this team to the next level. The Beltran Jedi thing. McCann handling the pitching staff with deft aplomb. Morton rising to the occasion when Hinch put his total faith in him. That crazy SI cover from 2014...they never get anything right, right?  How impressive it was that all those folks showed up at Minute Maid to be together for this one. How poetic that this team could finally do it this year after what the city and South Texas has been through. Divine Intervention? I just couldn't make myself turn off the tube and get some much needed sleep even though I have been sleep deprived all week. My wife has already "secretly" ordered the t-shirt the players were wearing post-game and said something about how much she liked the caps. I will wear them proudly in public here in the DFW Metroplex. I kept watching the postgame because I couldn't not watch. I knew the second I hit that Off button the void would begin. It is here but it will be different this time.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 09:40:50 am »
what is there to say.. I just can not imagine anything to gripe on
forever is composed entirely of nows

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 12:02:02 pm »
105 days 'till pitchers and catchers report.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 12:11:20 pm »
I finally threw in the towel around 2 this morning. Watched every interview, at least once, on both the MLB Network and FOX Sports1 once the big FOX signed off. Could not let it go...taking in every word and enjoying, so much, the elation of the players and coaches while thinking that this is such a classy bunch that deserved this moment and worked hard to attain it.

Same, I also texted my boss around 2AM saying that I am taking the next 2 days off.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 12:17:37 pm »
Same, I also texted my boss around 2AM saying that I am taking the next 2 days off.

Good for you. Going to the parade?

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 12:36:08 pm »
Wouldn't miss it.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 12:38:17 pm »
Also my boss is a Dodgers fan, he grew up in New York when they still played there.   We were traveling together and watched game 6 together Tuesday.     Our meeting Wednesday ended early and I was able to change my flight to get back to Houston in time to see 1st pitch.   

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 01:21:38 pm »
what is there to say.. I just can not imagine anything to gripe on

I'm sure we'll find something.  I'm already anticipating a Marisnick v. Maybin debate. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »
I'm sure we'll find something.  I'm already anticipating a Marisnick v. Maybin debate.

There is no debate.
Goin' for a bus ride.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 01:26:50 pm »

Peacock: Rotation or Pen? is also promising.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 01:36:09 pm »
Peacock: Rotation or Pen? is also promising.

I like his stuff better in the pen.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 01:37:00 pm »

I doubt Maybin is under contract for next year which would make it an easy one.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 01:45:55 pm »

Should Giles be the closer...

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 01:58:43 pm »
Should Giles be the closer...
Or: How many potential closers should the Astros sign or trade for this winter?

Also promising - Fisher vs. Marwin vs. Free Agent: who should be the LFer?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 02:04:36 pm »

THIS is the one.  But I would phrase it as Marwin back to utility and Fisher in left or Marwin in left and Fisher dealt?
Goin' for a bus ride.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 02:05:32 pm »
Or: How many potential closers should the Astros sign or trade for this winter?

Marwin/Fisher until Tucker comes up in June. 
60% of the time... it works everytime.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 02:05:54 pm »
If Reddick is gone, who will play the all-important Southern white folk role?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 02:08:27 pm »
I don't understand the talk of resigning Maybin.  The Astros have Marwin, Marisnick, and Fisher.  Please don't bury Fisher to bring Maybin back. 

As I see it, the Astros need to make a decision about whether they get another hitter for DH (to replaced Beltran) or whether they go in-house with White, Davis, Moran, or Reed. 

Astros probably need some more relievers, although I'm not ready to throw Giles out (as some people are). 

Is Fiers a non-tender?  If not, what do you do with him.  The 5-man rotation is pretty much set at Verlander, Keuchel, McCullers, Morton, McHugh.  And there are plenty of other options if/when the injuries happen:  Peacock, Musgrove, Martes, Paulino, Rogers.     
Boom!

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 02:09:08 pm »
If Reddick is gone, who will play the all-important Southern white folk role?
Josh signed a four year deal last winter.  He’s got it the redneck role on lockdown. 

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 02:18:35 pm »
Whoa whoa whoa. Hold on. Hollllllllllld on now.

Shouldn't we wait just a couple days before really thinking about shit like this? That's next year's team. I'm not ready to move on from this year's team.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 02:27:21 pm »
I am very interested to see how the bullpen gets re-tooled/re-built, though keeping Peacock and Musgrove down there alongside Giles, Harris, and Devenski would be a big part of the answer.  Need a lefty or two.
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

-Father Cavanaugh, "Rudy"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 02:50:49 pm »
I don't understand the talk of resigning Maybin.  The Astros have Marwin, Marisnick, and Fisher.  Please don't bury Fisher to bring Maybin back. 

As I see it, the Astros need to make a decision about whether they get another hitter for DH (to replaced Beltran) or whether they go in-house with White, Davis, Moran, or Reed. 

Astros probably need some more relievers, although I'm not ready to throw Giles out (as some people are). 

Is Fiers a non-tender?  If not, what do you do with him.  The 5-man rotation is pretty much set at Verlander, Keuchel, McCullers, Morton, McHugh.  And there are plenty of other options if/when the injuries happen:  Peacock, Musgrove, Martes, Paulino, Rogers.     

If another club wants Fisher, trade him. I know the front office loves him, but I did not see it. Strikeout machine.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 03:58:54 pm »
THIS is the one.  But I would phrase it as Marwin back to utility and Fisher in left or Marwin in left and Fisher dealt?

Exactly. I was thinking about that today.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 04:06:24 pm »
Whoa whoa whoa. Hold on. Hollllllllllld on now.

Shouldn't we wait just a couple days before really thinking about shit like this? That's next year's team. I'm not ready to move on from this year's team.
Agree
So happy that all of the key players will be back next year...and the next (excepting perhaps Dallas)....my Ranger-fan brother was a bit grim to learn about this.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 04:19:43 pm »
Exactly. I was thinking about that today.

I'm thinking the latter.  With Tucker the Younger ready no later than April 2019 given good health and Marwin a potential free agent after 18 it's what I'd do.
Goin' for a bus ride.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
I would be looking at marwin in left and Fisher in a deal for a quality reliever

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »
If another club wants Fisher, trade him. I know the front office loves him, but I did not see it. Strikeout machine.

The only problem I see with calling him a strikeout machine is the whole team was a strike out machine in 2016.  Do you think he cannot learn to take a better approach?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 06:23:40 pm »
I would be looking at marwin in left and Fisher in a deal for a quality reliever

Morrow is apparently a free agent (so is Watson). I'd like to think we have a decent chance of picking up a quality reliever without a trade.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 08:14:39 pm »

I think Marwin should return to his utility role.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 08:27:04 pm »

I’d strongly consider finding another backup catcher (centeno, stassi or a cheap FA) and make Gattis the full-time DH.  He’s just not a good defensive catcher but his bat is worth playing every day.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 08:28:30 pm »
Morrow is apparently a free agent (so is Watson). I'd like to think we have a decent chance of picking up a quality reliever without a trade.

Both would be good fits, but I like the idea of watson more, because the Astros need another lefty in the pen.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 09:10:20 am »
Agree
So happy that all of the key players will be back next year...and the next (excepting perhaps Dallas)....my Ranger-fan brother was a bit grim to learn about this.

SI already predicting a repeat, high as they are on their 1 for eleventy-million record of predicting winners.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 10:22:01 am »
Astros free agents:
Beltran
Clippard
Gregerson
Liriano
Maybin

Don't see any of them coming back, with the possible exception of Clippard.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 10:23:40 am »
Astros free agents:
Beltran
Clippard
Gregerson
Liriano
Maybin

Don't see any of them coming back, with the possible exception of Clippard.

Gregerson.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 10:28:37 am »

I agree.  He played LF because you really had no one else to do it.  I think Fisher has a future, but he's got to cut down on the strikeouts to justify a spot in the lineup.  I think he will. 

The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 10:30:36 am »
I agree.  He played LF because you really had no one else to do it.  I think Fisher has a future, but he's got to cut down on the strikeouts to justify a spot in the lineup.  I think he will.

I assume Marisnick is back and healthy as well. 

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 10:33:32 am »

To me, justice would be Marwin having a strong first half in 2018 so Hinch can name him to the All Star team t o make up for his snub this year.
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

-Father Cavanaugh, "Rudy"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 10:34:36 am »
I assume Marisnick is back and healthy as well.

Yep.  And I don't know why everyone is so down on Maybin.  He's an elite CFer and baserunner.  I'm not convinced yet I'd take Marisnick over him.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 10:38:00 am »
Yep.  And I don't know why everyone is so down on Maybin.  He's an elite CFer and baserunner.  I'm not convinced yet I'd take Marisnick over him.

I don't know enough about Maybin to have an opinion, but have the sense he's + at both.  Marisnick has the advantage of longevity, some success at the plate, and great clubhouse presence.  He's as good of a centerfielder but probably not the baserunner.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 10:58:03 am »
I don't think anyone is necessarily down on maybin, but if it's a Jake vs cam, Jake is under contract and would be the cheaper option. Jake has also been here and is great clubhouse guy.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 11:04:17 am »

All things considered Marisnick over Maybin.  Plus I think there's a good chance someone signs him to be their regular center fielder.
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2017, 11:32:41 am »
Maybin probably will sign elsewhere but, in limited opportunity here, he came up big several times. Great pickup.

LonghornCDR

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 11:39:05 am »
Maybin probably will sign elsewhere but, in limited opportunity here, he came up big several times. Great pickup.
Everyone remembers what George did in the 11th inning of Game 2, but it was Maybin that started the inning off with a knock and stole a base to make McCarthy even more uncomfortable.  The money was worth it for that alone.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2017, 11:39:13 am »
If you keep Marwin in the utility role you don’t really need a regular DH; you can rotate guys through that spot to rest them. But that assumes Fisher as the regular LF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2017, 12:15:19 pm »
I don't know enough about Maybin to have an opinion, but have the sense he's + at both.  Marisnick has the advantage of longevity, some success at the plate, and great clubhouse presence.  He's as good of a centerfielder but probably not the baserunner.

In terms of longevity, don't forget that Maybin and Hinch are tight going back to their San Diego days.  I'm not sure why folks think Marisnick has an edge in clubhouse presence.  Seemed like Maybin assimilated as smoothly as Verlander.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2017, 12:58:18 pm »
Maybin is a great clubhouse guy as well.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2017, 04:16:33 pm »
Maybin is a great clubhouse guy as well.

And a great guy in the community.  His charity had already arranged a collaboration with the Houston Food Bank after Harvey but before he was even traded here.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »
And a great guy in the community.  His charity had already arranged a collaboration with the Houston Food Bank after Harvey but before he was even traded here.

I think he was LAA’s nominee for the community involvement award.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2017, 04:47:25 pm »
Maybin was paid 8 or 9 million last year.  Jake was  around 1.  I say they save their money and keep Jake.  They are going to need that money for all the players who are arbitration eligible who will see big jumps in their pay due to the seasons they produced (i.e. Springer who got 3.9 mil last year).

To me the priority for the Astros this off season is signing Altuve to a long term deal.  He has two team option years left on his current deal (6 mil and 6.5 mil). 
Always ready to go to a game.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2017, 04:53:38 pm »
Maybin was paid 8 or 9 million last year.  Jake was  around 1.  I say they save their money and keep Jake.  They are going to need that money for all the players who are arbitration eligible who will see big jumps in their pay due to the seasons they produced (i.e. Springer who got 3.9 mil last year).

To me the priority for the Astros this off season is signing Altuve to a long term deal.  He has two team option years left on his current deal (6 mil and 6.5 mil).

Talk about money all you want. The pen and LF are player issues, which are far more interesting to me.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 06:45:52 pm »
This. !
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2017, 06:49:57 pm »
Talk about money all you want. The pen and LF are player issues, which are far more interesting to me.
Agree. And having Maybin split time with Fisher in LF with Jake being OF5 and Marwin being super-sub would not be terrible.

belatedly edited to fix #autocorrupt
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:22:13 pm by VirtualBob »
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2017, 07:05:40 pm »

I still think he'll be someone's starting center fielder.
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2017, 10:39:02 am »
Agree. And having Maybin split time with Fisher in LF with Jake being OF5 and Marwin being super-sub would not be terrible.

belatedly edited to fix #autocorrupt

Not sure there is room for Maybin  and Jake on a 25 man roster.