Author Topic: Devo  (Read 4881 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Devo
« on: October 26, 2017, 11:08:21 am »
The K of Puig was a vintage COD, but he narrowly escaped disaster. If the had not hit the umpire with the wild pickoff throw, Hernandez might have scored the winning run. The ball was headed to LCF. The first two outs in the 11th liners at us. We were due some breaks and got them.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Re: Devo
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 11:15:07 am »
The ball hitting Taylor's cap in the third is what I might point out to a Dodger fan who thought the Astros won because of a lucky break. Both teams had them last night. What an insane game.
Where the fuck is Toro?

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 11:16:11 am »
The K of Puig was a vintage COD, but he narrowly escaped disaster. If the had not hit the umpire with the wild pickoff throw, Hernandez might have scored the winning run. The ball was headed to LCF. The first two outs in the 11th liners at us. We were due some breaks and got them.
Skill alone does not win a world series. Need a little luck along the way. Finally got some breaks to go our way

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:34:50 am »
The Taylor cap bill ricochet turned out to meaningless thanks to Altuve and Correa whiffs.
E come vivo? Vivo.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 11:39:31 am »
The Taylor cap bill ricochet turned out to meaningless thanks to Altuve and Correa whiffs.
Not meaningless. Springer scores if that gets by Taylor and hill probably pitches a little differently with a base open to altuve

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 11:47:23 am »

Bullshit it was meaningless. Springer would have scored, and Bregman would have been at least to third.

Why don’t you find another team and go away. Your negative crap is tiresome.

geezerdonk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 11:53:27 am »

Never mind. That's right. Springer would have scored - maybe Bergman too.
E come vivo? Vivo.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:00:13 pm »

Ingmar or Ingrid?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

rpntex

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 12:11:26 pm »

Not meaningless at all…  if that Ball does not hit the bill of his , so it goes past him and rolls all the way to the wall. Hernandez was still several yards away and would not have been in position to Cut the ball off from going to the fence.   Spring your scores, and Bregman most likely ends up on third. No way that’s merely a double, as Taylor‘s Was the only thing between him and the wall on that hit. What’s more, Bregman being on third most likely alters Altuve’s approach in his add bad.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 12:16:06 pm »
Fuck man, no one KNOWS what would happen...but a few people cheering for the Astros were thinking about that fucking cap until MarWIN ties it up in the ninth and earns the player of the game belt presented by his grateful teammates.

Read how Verlander kept standing in the same spot watching the game on a monitor...the exact spot where he was standing when MarWin hit his epic clutch game saving HR...and watched Altuve, Correa, and Springer all do the same. Stay the course gents. stay the course.
Where the fuck is Toro?

geezerdonk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 12:18:05 pm »
Dave (RIP).
E come vivo? Vivo.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 12:21:54 pm »
The ball hitting Taylor's cap in the third is what I might point out to a Dodger fan who thought the Astros won because of a lucky break. Both teams had them last night. What an insane game.

It turned out not to matter since he scored anyway, but I thought the Dodgers caught another break when Bregman's double deflected over the short fence leading off the 8th.  If it ricochets off that fence and gets past Puig, Alex is definitely on third and might circle the bases if Taylor's not backing up (which a lot of CFs don't on a play like that).
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 12:38:28 pm »
It turned out not to matter since he scored anyway, but I thought the Dodgers caught another break when Bregman's double deflected over the short fence leading off the 8th.  If it ricochets off that fence and gets past Puig, Alex is definitely on third and might circle the bases if Taylor's not backing up (which a lot of CFs don't on a play like that).

Had the same thought at the time.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 12:47:03 pm »
Thought that Springer scores if not for the cap. Apparently Hinch thought so too, AND Believes in the BBGs:

"We were pretty unlucky at the beginning of the game when [Chris Taylor] dove in center field and the ball hit him in the face or head and kicked to [Joc] Pederson. I felt like the baseball gods were returning the favor by having an umpire standing in the way there."

All good. EPIC game.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 01:05:49 pm »
is  there anything beyond epic  Last night was it
forever is composed entirely of nows

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 01:27:49 pm »

And with Puig stomping around like a toddler, he certainly wouldn't be in a position to go get it.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 01:45:30 pm »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 03:28:41 pm »
Sean.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 05:12:58 pm »
Lance.

Where the fuck is he?  Can't remember the last time I saw or heard anything about him?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 05:15:47 pm »
He's around.  Was in the booth for an inning or two, at least once this year.  I think he is coaching at one of the local religious high schools, maybe Second Baptist.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 05:25:08 pm »
He was at Game 1 of the ALCS.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 06:45:40 pm »
He's around.  Was in the booth for an inning or two, at least once this year.  I think he is coaching at one of the local religious high schools, maybe Second Baptist.

I think they won a state title didn't they? Pettite his pitching coach? Definitely Second Baptist.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 07:18:17 pm »

He was on the field for Game 1 against NYY, I think.

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 07:31:29 pm »
I think they won a state title didn't they? Pettite his pitching coach? Definitely Second Baptist.
Yes. He is the Head Coach at Second Baptist. I will have to check and see if his snack-packing skills are being imparted, but they're very good at baseball.
He breezed him, one more time!

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 07:53:18 am »
I hear they have quite a choir.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 08:43:12 am »
I saw Lance on one of the MLBNetwork shows (I think).  He was rooting hard for the Astros.  Pettite, however, was rooting for the Yankees in the ALCS.  So he can blow me.  All I could think of at the time was that I didn't want to see him rooting for the Astros after the Yankees were eliminated.  He chose his team -- fuck him.

My high school, the Hebrew Academy of Houston used to play Second Baptist in basketball and soccer in the TAPS league.  They always had good teams so it doesn't surprise me at all that Berkman and Pettite are coaching for them.  Playing against Second Baptist was the first time I ever saw a preacher bless the team before a game.  Also, the name of our school was too long for the schedule, so it just said Second Baptist v Hebrews.  It was quite a biblical game. 
Boom!

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 08:54:24 am »
And ........

Who won?

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 09:01:12 am »
Lance's in-laws are long-time 2nd Baptist members (aka The Repentagon aka St. Ed's aka Six Flags Over Jesus), so him ending up there makes sense.  I guess Pettite realized that millionaires don't have to live in Deer Park anymore.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 09:17:20 am »
Lance's in-laws are long-time 2nd Baptist members (aka The Repentagon aka St. Ed's aka Six Flags Over Jesus), so him ending up there makes sense.  I guess Pettite realized that millionaires don't have to live in Deer Park anymore.

He could live in NYC, there are some bigly millionaires there.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 09:20:40 am »
And ........

Who won?

We consistently got our ass kicked during those years.  I don't remember ever beating Second Baptist. 
Boom!

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 12:52:47 pm »
My high school, the Hebrew Academy of Houston
Isn't that where Charlie Ward coached?

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 03:25:02 pm »
He could live in NYC, there are some bigly millionaires there.

He should. Ever since he threw out the first pitch of ALCS Gm 5 in a fucking Yankees jacket I've been pissed. I went from ambivalent to pure hatred by the time that goat-eyed motherfucker got to the mound.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 04:22:11 pm »
tell us how you really feel
forever is composed entirely of nows

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 05:58:56 pm »
He should. Ever since he threw out the first pitch of ALCS Gm 5 in a fucking Yankees jacket I've been pissed. I went from ambivalent to pure hatred by the time that goat-eyed motherfucker got to the mound.

Pretty much my thought also.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 11:59:03 pm »

Well said.

Also, FTY.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 12:06:50 am »
Never did like Petitte. Too much Yankee stink on him.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2017, 02:50:01 am »

Repentagon and Baptodome were the preferred names back when they built it.  Haven't been by there in years and years.

I kissed Lance Berkman's wife at a 5th grade dance there.   We were both in the 5th grade, for the record.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 02:54:05 am »
I saw Lance on one of the MLBNetwork shows (I think).  He was rooting hard for the Astros.  Pettite, however, was rooting for the Yankees in the ALCS.  So he can blow me.  All I could think of at the time was that I didn't want to see him rooting for the Astros after the Yankees were eliminated.  He chose his team -- fuck him.

My high school, the Hebrew Academy of Houston used to play Second Baptist in basketball and soccer in the TAPS league.  They always had good teams so it doesn't surprise me at all that Berkman and Pettite are coaching for them.  Playing against Second Baptist was the first time I ever saw a preacher bless the team before a game.  Also, the name of our school was too long for the schedule, so it just said Second Baptist v Hebrews.  It was quite a biblical game. 

Don't remember any blessings by the preachers, but I don't doubt that it happened. Llooking back it was a bittersweet decision when we decided to basically abandon soccer and start a football program before my freshman year.  I loved HS football, but we were really, really good at soccer in middle/high school.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2017, 04:19:27 pm »
Repentagon and Baptodome were the preferred names back when they built it.  Haven't been by there in years and years.

I kissed Lance Berkman's wife at a 5th grade dance there.   We were both in the 5th grade, for the record.

my recollection is that Lance's wife is the daughter of a former Oiler linebacker. From back in the day when they played at Jeppesen nonetheless.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2017, 05:31:41 pm »
my recollection is that Lance's wife is the daughter of a former Oiler linebacker. From back in the day when they played at Jeppesen nonetheless.

Johnny Baker

Randy Watson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 09:57:54 am »
Johnny Baker

Baker and Lance used to hunt with us.   Baker is hilarious. 

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 10:19:45 am »
Don't remember any blessings by the preachers, but I don't doubt that it happened. Llooking back it was a bittersweet decision when we decided to basically abandon soccer and start a football program before my freshman year.  I loved HS football, but we were really, really good at soccer in middle/high school.

As I remember, Second Baptist kicked our asses in soccer as well. 

I was on both the basketball and soccer teams.  Frankly, we could barely field a team.  When I graduated in 86, our entire high school was 24 people.  Not the senior class.  The entire high school.  Pretty much everyone was on the team.  Which is one of the reasons why we lost so many games. 

Boom!