Author Topic: Sale  (Read 4886 times)

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Sale
« on: October 10, 2017, 03:16:06 pm »
remember when we all wanted him in a deal?  Some of his numbers from the recent series.
9.2 IP/13 H/ 9 ER/ 4HRs.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 03:49:10 pm »
remember when we all wanted him in a deal?  Some of his numbers from the recent series.
9.2 IP/13 H/ 9 ER/ 4HRs.

Don't forget:  2 Ls.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

MikeyBoy

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:25:16 pm »
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 04:46:41 pm »
9.2 IP/13 H/ 9 ER/ 4HRs.

He wouldn't have had to face the Astros' offense if he were on the Astros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:52:55 pm »
Sale's LDS mirrors his work the last 2 months of the season.  He was very hit and miss.  So it's no surprise he was hit hard one outing and very good the next (until he got tired).
Goin' for a bus ride.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 05:13:50 pm »

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:46:35 pm »
He wouldn't have had to face the Astros' offense if he were on the Astros.

And Bregman would have been on the White Sox.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 08:54:50 am »
And Bregman would have been on the White Sox.

*shudder*
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:44:18 am »
*shudder*

Bregman had the third-highest OPS for an Astros third-baseman this season behind only Ensberg (2005) and Caminiti (1994).  Not bad for essentially a rookie.   

Really glad the Astros didn't trade him. 
Boom!

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:58:55 am »
Bregman had the third-highest OPS for an Astros third-baseman this season behind only Ensberg (2005) and Caminiti (1994).  Not bad for essentially a rookie.   

Really glad the Astros didn't trade him.
Think Bregman has a chance of surpassing Ensberg's post season numbers.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 02:07:25 pm »
Think Bregman has a chance of surpassing Ensberg's post season numbers.

I think you have a chance of surpassing Ensberg's post-season numbers.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 02:09:55 pm »

Ensberg would certainly watch his post season numbers pass.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:21 pm »
Ensberg would certainly watch his post season numbers pass.

Incidentally, I was looking for a more appropriate place to post this in the GZ of the game, as I recall someone saying that, love of Biggio and Bagwell aside, the current crop's a little better in the postseason, but Altuve surpassed Bagwell's postseason home run total in Game 1.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 02:29:13 pm »
wow
forever is composed entirely of nows

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 03:41:39 pm »
Incidentally, I was looking for a more appropriate place to post this in the GZ of the game, as I recall someone saying that, love of Biggio and Bagwell aside, the current crop's a little better in the postseason, but Altuve surpassed Bagwell's postseason home run total in Game 1.

And it's not like he popped some cheapies into the Crawford Boxes.  Those were smoiked.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 04:04:32 pm »
And it's not like he popped some cheapies into the Crawford Boxes.  Those were smoiked.

Sometimes I feel like Altuve is sold a little "short". Like a novelty act or something.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 04:35:47 pm »
Sometimes I feel like Altuve is sold a little "short". Like a novelty act or something.

You are correct.   He is loved/admired around the country often in a "What a cute little baseball player" way.

He ain't perfect, but he's a bad ass mofo baseball player.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 04:38:09 pm »
yes. I could get hit by a pitch.

Ensberg's stare is an emblematic memory of the 2005 WS. Could not understand why they kept sending out a guy who so obviously wanted to be anywhere on earth but holding a bat. I get how he was one of the reasons they got the postseason. Hope he has thrived afterwards--Ensberg seemed like a classy guy who fell apart offensively at a really unfortunate time. 
Where the fuck is Toro?

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 04:52:53 pm »
not a stat guy but I watched Mr. Bagwell in hundreds and hundreds of games and he simply was not a close and late kind of guy. Many years he carried the team offensively. But I think he held a record at one point for the most HRs in the league without a grand slam. Always thought that he put to much pressure on himself. Made Mr. Bagwell a hall of fame guy and one of my favorite all-time players. And as you well know, his beard, is in fact, one of the BBG's. But it didn't help him in clutch situations. Never doubted he wanted it. Never doubted he had put in the hours and hours preparation. Contrast that with the "Big Puma"--didn't really seem to care to much about the score or the number of outs in an inning. But he sure did hit a few game changing hits now and then. My favorite was one that kept a championship out of Arlington--God bless you Lance. 
Where the fuck is Toro?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 05:02:16 pm »
yes. I could get hit by a pitch.

Ensberg's stare is an emblematic memory of the 2005 WS. Could not understand why they kept sending out a guy who so obviously wanted to be anywhere on earth but holding a bat. I get how he was one of the reasons they got the postseason. Hope he has thrived afterwards--Ensberg seemed like a classy guy who fell apart offensively at a really unfortunate time.

I have gotten to know him a little bit. He did not fail because he was afraid.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 05:23:14 pm »
I have gotten to know him a little bit. He did not fail because he was afraid.
So what happened? Very interested in what Ensberg has to say about his WS experience. BTW--not casting aspersions on his character in any way. I liked him as a player and the few times I've heard him speak he seemed like a thoughtful and genuine person. But I strongly remember dreading every one of his at bats in the WS and wondered why he was not replaced when it seemed to my unprofessional eyes that he was not the same guy who he had been earlier in the season.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »
He had a pretty bad shoulder injury late in 2005.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 06:36:14 pm »
So what happened? Very interested in what Ensberg has to say about his WS experience. BTW--not casting aspersions on his character in any way. I liked him as a player and the few times I've heard him speak he seemed like a thoughtful and genuine person. But I strongly remember dreading every one of his at bats in the WS and wondered why he was not replaced when it seemed to my unprofessional eyes that he was not the same guy who he had been earlier in the season.

Do you honestly think I would ask him “What happened to you?”

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 08:40:34 pm »
not a stat guy but I watched Mr. Bagwell in hundreds and hundreds of games and he simply was not a close and late kind of guy. Many years he carried the team offensively. But I think he held a record at one point for the most HRs in the league without a grand slam. Always thought that he put to much pressure on himself. Made Mr. Bagwell a hall of fame guy and one of my favorite all-time players. And as you well know, his beard, is in fact, one of the BBG's. But it didn't help him in clutch situations.

The concept of "clutch" has been discussed ad nauseum here.  Bagwell always had a reputation as "not clutch" but the stats don't really support that conclusion.

Career overall: .297/.408/.540, 16.5 K%, 14.9 BB%, .317 BABIP

RISP: .308/.448/.550, 15.3 K%, 19.9 BB%, .319 BABIP
RISP w/ 2 out: .266/.440/.505, 16.3 K%, 21.9 BB%, 286 BABIP
Bases loaded: .305/.363/.503, 20 K%, 9.5 BB%, .325 BABIP

Late and close: .273/.418/.472, 17.7 K%, 18.9 BB%, .308 BABIP
Ahead: .294/.411/.538, 16.1 K%, 15.5 BB%, .310 BABIP
Behind: .309/.397/.572, 16.1 K%, 12.1 BB%, .324 BABIP

High leverage: .306/.426/.556, 15.9 K%, 16.6 BB%, .320 BABIP
Medium leverage: .302/.406/.537, 15.8 K%, 13.7 BB%, .323 BABIP
Low leverage: .288/.401/.537, 17.4 K%, 15 BB%, .310 BABIP

In high/medium leverage situations, with RISP, and when the Astros were behind, Bagwell beat his career numbers in just about every category above.  In "late and close" situations, with RISP and 2 outs, and with the bases loaded, his numbers were slightly off his career numbers.  Even still, OPSes of .890, .945, and .866, respectively, are nothing to sneeze at.

tl;dr - The worst you can say about Bagwell is that he wasn't as good in certain "clutch" situations, but he was far from bad.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 09:21:33 am »
tl;dr - The worst you can say about Bagwell is that he wasn't as good in certain "clutch" situations, but he was far from bad.

How many of Bagwell's post-season at-bats were against Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz?  How many times was he walked in situations where he was in a position to do any damage whatsoever?

I'll hang up and listen.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:19 am »
Do you honestly think I would ask him “What happened to you?”

I had a similar (I think) conversation w/ Ensberg once, and the easy way to ask about it is to ask about what it was like to play in the WS.  He opened up from there.   I love everything Morgan's done for this organization since then.  He's been key in the development of several of the hitters on the current club.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 09:46:21 am »
I had a similar (I think) conversation w/ Ensberg once, and the easy way to ask about it is to ask about what it was like to play in the WS.  He opened up from there.   I love everything Morgan's done for this organization since then.  He's been key in the development of several of the hitters on the current club.
That's wonderful to hear. Glad that Ensberg has been involved with the club and is doing well.
Where the fuck is Toro?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:03 am »

Is Ensberg still with the Astros organization? Last I knew he was coaching the mental/psychology part of the game IIRC. Which tells me he doesn't wear the yoke of choker.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:56:37 am by juliogotay »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 10:01:19 am »
Is Ensberg still with the Astros organization? Last I knew he was coaching the mental/psychology part of the game IIRC. Which tells me he doesn't wear the yoke of choker.

He was a manager last year in the low minors.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 02:54:36 pm »
I don't know why, but I have in the back of my head that Ensberg might make a fine broadcaster.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 03:08:53 pm »
I don't know why, but I have in the back of my head that Ensberg might make a fine broadcaster.

As my grandmother often said, “He can talk the ears off a wooden Indian.”

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 06:08:57 am »
He was a manager last year in the low minors.

A scout friend of mine said that he has some real promise as a manager. I always liked him and am glad that he's with the org.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »
A scout friend of mine said that he has some real promise as a manager. I always liked him and am glad that he's with the org.

He was a roving instructor on the mental side of the game before he got the manager’s gig.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 02:41:02 pm »
He was a roving instructor on the mental side of the game before he got the manager’s gig.

Here he is in the Valley Cats thank you video to fans (at 3:15).
http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=1818678383&sid=t577

I love the teams' rally cry:  Vamos Gatos!

I'm looking forward to seeing them next summer when they play the local team (Vermont Lake Monsters) near my vacation home.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 03:26:11 pm »
I love this site, you never know where a thread will go.
forever is composed entirely of nows

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 07:18:48 pm »

In a "pay me my money" world Moberg seems to have a genuine love for the Houston Astros and I appreciate that about him.