Author Topic: Last night's broadcast  (Read 4932 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Last night's broadcast
« on: July 02, 2017, 09:13:02 am »
I muted it from the beginning, which is why I still have a TV today. They were showing close ups from the NYY dugout 50-50 with the game. Fox must have been heartbroken when the Astros rallied.

What a game! Exhibit A to why I love this team. Correa's AB showed how much he has matured. His off-balance throw to get Gardner was incredible. Oh my, Yuli! Hostros said in the GZ his bat was Alou quick on the game winner. Great description. Need a win today. Only Devo is rested.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Last night's broadcast
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:27:52 am »
I muted it from the beginning, which is why I still have a TV today. They were showing close ups from the NYY dugout 50-50 with the game. Fox must have been heartbroken when the Astros rallied.

What a game! Exhibit A to why I love this team. Correa's AB showed how much he has matured. His off-balance throw to get Gardner was incredible. Oh my, Yuli! Hostros said in the GZ his bat was Alou quick on the game winner. Great description. Need a win today. Only Devo is rested.

I'm sure Fox was thrilled when they saw Girardi's lineup card and Judge was on the bench.  Like you said, they made up for it by showing him in the dugout every 10 minutes.

It would be really, really nice if our June ace can pitch into the 7th today and turn it over to Devo.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:33:42 am »
I'm sure Fox was thrilled when they saw Girardi's lineup card and Judge was on the bench.  Like you said, they made up for it by showing him in the dugout every 10 minutes.

It would be really, really nice if our June ace can pitch into the 7th today and turn it over to Devo.

Every 3 minutes, then they switched to the newbie.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:33:24 am »
I'm guessing they all splooged in their pants when Judge pinch hit in the 9th of a 1-run game. I cannot imagine a more disappointing 8th and 9th for Fox.

The most annoying comment of the night however had to be one of the idiots saying Mike Sciosia is clearly Manager of the Year at this point because to have your team still hovering around .500 with all the injuries they've had to the pitching staff is unheard of.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 10:39:05 am »
Unique even.
E come vivo? Vivo.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 11:26:33 am »
Those two literally had me yearning for Joe Buck.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 11:42:04 am »
It's so nice to see Gurriel starting to heat up, and win that battle of the Cubans. I hope this is the beginning of him really emerging as the excellent hitter he's supposed to be. He'll probably never walk much, but if he can show just a little more discipline I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit .320 with 35-40 doubles and 25 HR in a season. Maybe now he's had enough time to figure out what major league pitchers are trying to do with him.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 12:07:54 pm »
It's so nice to see Gurriel starting to heat up, and win that battle of the Cubans. I hope this is the beginning of him really emerging as the excellent hitter he's supposed to be. He'll probably never walk much, but if he can show just a little more discipline I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit .320 with 35-40 doubles and 25 HR in a season. Maybe now he's had enough time to figure out what major league pitchers are trying to do with him.

Supposed to be? Are you watching these games?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 12:15:35 pm »
Gurriel is the Astro I would most want at the plate in a situation like that. If he improves with additional mlb experience, great. But as a hitter, I'm not sure how much better he needs to be.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 12:21:26 pm »
Supposed to be? Are you watching these games?
As much as I'm able, yes. This past month or so he's been great. His overall season and career numbers are well below what his reputation and history would suggest. It has looked to me at times like he's too willing to swing at the pitcher's pitch. He's got great bat speed and he's very good at making contact, but when he goes after the pitcher's pitch the result is a lot of rollovers and pop-ups.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 12:27:20 pm »
As much as I'm able, yes. This past month or so he's been great. His overall season and career numbers are well below what his reputation and history would suggest. It has looked to me at times like he's too willing to swing at the pitcher's pitch. He's got great bat speed and he's very good at making contact, but when he goes after the pitcher's pitch the result is a lot of rollovers and pop-ups.

Whatever you say

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 12:32:12 pm »

Dude is trending to .285, 18HR, 72RBI for the year.  I've never seen anyone project his reputation and history to better numbers than that.  Most have said these are his ceiling.

Aside from the numbers, he's one of a select few on the team that I want in the highest leverage situations.  Ice in his veins, he has. 

And, turning HARD on a Chapman 100mph heater?  Are you kidding me?  Wow.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 12:32:27 pm »
Gurriel is the Astro I would most want at the plate in a situation like that. If he improves with additional mlb experience, great. But as a hitter, I'm not sure how much better he needs to be.

When he came to the plate, I told my dog (since he is the only one here) "Gurriel will not be intimidated by Chapman. He probably faced him many times in Cuba." We have talked often at OWA about the worst AB in Astros history. Gurriel's AB last night is in the running for the best. So patient.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 12:44:23 pm »
Dude is trending to .285, 18HR, 72RBI for the year.  I've never seen anyone project his reputation and history to better numbers than that.  Most have said these are his ceiling.

Aside from the numbers, he's one of a select few on the team that I want in the highest leverage situations.  Ice in his veins, he has. 

And, turning HARD on a Chapman 100mph heater?  Are you kidding me?  Wow.
I feel like every time we see a guy hitting 100, yuli mashes a fastball for extra bases

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 12:49:22 pm »
The sound was off and the stereo was on, as usual. I was screaming at the screen for the whole at bat: "...go ahead and take him to a full count, you overrated motherfucker! That means Marwin scores on the double you fuckin' bitch!" Then like a lightning bolt Yuli delivers the double and Marwin coasts in for the winning run. Just glorious!
He breezed him, one more time!

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 12:54:26 pm »
I haven't looked at the stats much this year, but my internal ordering of Astros hitters results from answering the following question: who would I want at the plate in that situation?   Anyways, I immediately thought about Altuve and Gurriel, but there are lots of worthy answers. For that, I feel damn lucky.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 12:58:40 pm »
I'm kind of surprised that Betances was allowed to pitch to Marwin.  I figured Chapman would be in to turn Marwin around then face Gurriel.  I think Marwin's at bat was very good also.  Perhaps Chapman was ready yet
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 12:59:21 pm »
I must not be articulating my thoughts very well. Y'all seem to think I'm ragging on Gurriel. I'm pointing out that what he's done lately is more like what I expected/hoped for from him.

And Das - this is a guy who was a man among boys in Cuba. He was always revered as one of the best hitters anywhere. He had a career .335 AVG there, with more RBI than games played. His final season there, he hit .500 (.500!) with 3 strikeouts in 49 games. The big question about him was just whether he's too old now to be a great MLB hitter; that's what a lot of scouts/pundits seemed to think.

To me, it's seemed like approach and pitch selection were the only things holding him back a little, not bat speed or physical ability.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2017, 02:39:57 pm »
And he has the best "now you see me, now you don't" second base phantom slide.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 10:46:07 pm »
When he came to the plate, I told my dog (since he is the only one here) "Gurriel will not be intimidated by Chapman. He probably faced him many times in Cuba." We have talked often at OWA about the worst AB in Astros history. Gurriel's AB last night is in the running for the best. So patient.

It's been a long time, but I'm assuming Carl Everett?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 07:35:38 am »
I haven't looked at the stats much this year, but my internal ordering of Astros hitters results from answering the following question: who would I want at the plate in that situation?   Anyways, I immediately thought about Altuve and Gurriel, but there are lots of worthy answers. For that, I feel damn lucky.

Not Altuve. Gurriel or Correa

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 07:37:06 am »

Bingo

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 09:45:10 am »

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 11:54:26 am »
Bingo

Which AB are you talking about for Everett?  One from his first day back from the DL in Chicago?  I'd love to go see if I can find a video of the one you are talking about.

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 12:06:46 pm »
I don't remember the Everett ab but check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O4O9MPV_uf8

Strike three is simply amazing.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 12:31:58 pm »
It was that or Truby.

Wasn't that a case where Truby never should have been at bat? While bad, I put that on Dierker.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 01:13:41 pm »

Probably, unless it was Chris Truby.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 01:28:47 pm »
Probably, unless it was Chris Truby.

What Ty said.
Y todo lo que sube baja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 01:32:48 pm »
Which AB are you talking about for Everett?  One from his first day back from the DL in Chicago?  I'd love to go see if I can find a video of the one you are talking about.

The way-too-anxious bases-loaded crapfest against the ATL. I almost broke my television.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:57 pm »
Wasn't that a case where Truby never should have been at bat? While bad, I put that on Dierker.

That's totally fair.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2017, 02:29:38 pm »

Bases loaded, no out.

Waltfuckingweiss game

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2017, 02:30:35 pm »

This

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2017, 02:54:23 pm »

Bases loaded, no out.

Waltfuckingweiss game

Aw, hell. That thing. I misunderstood you comment to say Gurriel's was "one of the best" and you were mentioning another good Astro AB as a comparison. Now that scab has been ripped open again.

Trying desperately to shift gears, what other notable *good* Astro AB's stand out to you all.  Not necessarily because of only a good outcome (Hatcher's HR!!!) but because of the excellent batsmanship?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2017, 03:06:23 pm »
I don't remember the Everett ab but check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O4O9MPV_uf8

Strike three is simply amazing.

I remember that. It was pouring down rain and the Jays were winning like 10-0 in the fourth inning. Griffin wanted to try to get five innings in as Jack Morris was going for his 20th win. The irony is, right after that swing, the ump called a rain delay.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2017, 04:11:33 pm »
Aw, hell. That thing. I misunderstood you comment to say Gurriel's was "one of the best" and you were mentioning another good Astro AB as a comparison. Now that scab has been ripped open again.

Trying desperately to shift gears, what other notable *good* Astro AB's stand out to you all.  Not necessarily because of only a good outcome (Hatcher's HR!!!) but because of the excellent batsmanship?

This wasn't a high-leverage situation, as I recall, but it was one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen: Moises Alou turned on a ball thrown at his coconut and ripped it down the LF line.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2017, 04:45:34 pm »

That was one of those season-defining signature wins, kind of like the big 9th inning comeback against the Angels in September 2015 that proved to be the difference in the wild card race. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."