Author Topic: Charting the 2017 Astros record (updated daily-ish)  (Read 3823 times)

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
Charting the 2017 Astros record (updated daily-ish)
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:45:47 pm »
I haven't seen this done anywhere else so I figured I'd do it.  (If someone else has done it, please humor me.)

I put all of the Astros game-by-game results into a spreadsheet and can now chart the 2017 team's record against any past Astros team(s), as well as their cumulative best record at any point.  It can be entertaining to visually compare this team's success against past teams' success (or lack thereof).

Current:
Through 158 games, the Astros are 98-60.  They are one win behind the best record of 99-59, accomplished by the 1998 Astros.

Charts, just for fun:
2017 vs. cumulative best record
2017 vs. past playoff teams
2017 vs. 100-loss teams
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:54:20 pm by Waldo »

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Charting the 2017 Astros record
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:01:44 am »
I like it.  Thanks.
Up in the Air

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:19:13 am »
Seeing that flat line at the end of 2013 made me shudder.

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:49:23 pm »
The Astros, in their last 162 games, are 96 - 66.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: Charting the 2017 Astros record (updated daily-ish)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:38:57 pm »
nice stats, but I plan to put on blinders so I can only look forward
forever is composed entirely of nows

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 12:04:53 pm »
The Astros, in their last 162 games, are 97-65.  One game improvement since I posted on the 19th is due to the nice 8-1 run after the disastrous 17-28 start last year.

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 12:42:24 pm »
97 wins has a nice ring to it.  Plus that's my number in the race for the lid.

TenThirty

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:36:20 am »
So, today, June 13th is the first day this season we have awoken to find the Last 10 column in the standings anything worse than 6-4.  That is a remarkable statement about the consistently solid play they turned in the first third of the season.

Obviously with all the rotation DL activity there is now a storm to weather, but that solid and consistent play sure did build a nice umbrella.
Yay.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 10:52:02 am »
So, today, June 13th is the first day this season we have awoken to find the Last 10 column in the standings anything worse than 6-4.  That is a remarkable statement about the consistently solid play they turned in the first third of the season.

Obviously with all the rotation DL activity there is now a storm to weather, but that solid and consistent play sure did build a nice umbrella.

If the Astros can get through this shit show of a DL run with a 8 game lead still intact, I'll be THRILLED.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

TenThirty

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 04:30:19 pm »
80 games in and I am really impressed with the consistency, especially in the face of adversity.  It seems like they tend to have at least two phases of the game going well in every game.  It seemed in past years struggles on the mound would lead to pressing and failing at the plate or vice-versa, but so far generally pretty damn good this year.  Even the highs of a long winning streak have been within the balance.  If you break the season down into 20 game increments, the Astros have gone 14-6; 14-6; 14-6, 12-8.
Yay.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 11:08:10 am »
If the Astros can get through this shit show of a DL run with a 8 game lead still intact, I'll be THRILLED.

Bump.  What a run.  Should be interesting and fun to watch as the starters come back online.  Incredibly, they went from 11 games up to 15.5 games up since you wrote this on June 13th.  Just as incredibly, the Astros went from 6.5 games up on the division on May 20th, the date that Keuchel went on the DL for the first time, to that same 15.5 games up now. 

The Astros are 31-15 since Keuchel went down on 5/20.  Giving props where they are due, the Dodgers are 36-10 in that same time period.  Has a familiar ring to it.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 09:07:56 pm »
ESPN Stats & Info  @ESPNStatsInfo 12m ago
The @astros join the @Dodgers with at least 67 wins in 1st 100 games; from @EliasSports, 1st time since 1954 that 2 teams started that fast.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 08:20:31 am »
ESPN Stats & Info  @ESPNStatsInfo 12m ago
The @astros join the @Dodgers with at least 67 wins in 1st 100 games; from @EliasSports, 1st time since 1954 that 2 teams started that fast.

This is an historic run, which is the main reason Luhnow MUST do everything in his power to improve the roster.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 08:28:42 am »
This is an historic run, which is the main reason Luhnow MUST do everything in his power to improve the roster.

I can't imagine he isn't doing something.  I just can't.  This team is magical.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 09:10:37 am »
This team is magical.

Despite the fact that their expected top 4 starting pitchers have spent varying amounts of time on the disabled list; one of their 3 AAA starting pitchers expected to be called up to help is out for the year; another one of the 3 is suspended for half the season; their bullpen is overused; their starting shortstop is on the disabled list; their CF and 3B (who happens to also be one of the backup SS) are injured; and their AAA 3B callup broke his face.
Goin' for a bus ride.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 09:27:41 am »
Despite the fact that their expected top 4 starting pitchers have spent varying amounts of time on the disabled list; one of their 3 AAA starting pitchers expected to be called up to help is out for the year; another one of the 3 is suspended for half the season; their bullpen is overused; their starting shortstop is on the disabled list; their CF and 3B (who happens to also be one of the backup SS) are injured; and their AAA 3B callup broke his face.

exactly!
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:57 pm »

I wondered aloud on this forum at the start of the year what kind of record Fresno would have playing the season as an MLB team. Little did I know we'd find out...