Author Topic: More lessons from High School baseball  (Read 9040 times)

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
More lessons from High School baseball
« on: March 07, 2017, 09:26:19 am »
There are going to be people in your life who in trying to be helpful, do just the opposite.

My son was pitching last night.  Rebounded nicely from a lead off HR to a kid who went 7-7 in the DH with a BB and HBP. 

In the 4th inning, the catcher took a foul ball off the leg.  Ump goes out to the mound to give the catcher time to recover.  Tells my son, "if you had a better catcher, you would have 5-10 more strikes".  There was no need to say that to my son.  He doesn't get to choose his catcher.  So by trying to make my son feel better, he increased tension between my son and the catcher.  Thanks blue. Why don't you just add if the 3B hadn't committed 2 errors in the second, he would have thrown another inning before reaching his pitch count limit. 

He wasn't wrong.  Catcher was not sticking pitches. He was letting the glove drop and was taking ball out of the zone.

Always ready to go to a game.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: More lessons from High School baseball
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:39:48 am »
First off, while it's true that a good catcher can get more strike calls, it's generally something that is subtle and shouldn't be glaring with the umpire.  Secondly, I agree that there's no need for the ump to say that to the pitcher, especially during the game.  I'm sure he was just trying to compliment your son, in a "hey, you were around the plate, you'll get 'em next time" kind of way, but that's pretty tone deaf. 

On a completely unrelated note, on Saturday I stopped off at the Whataburger in Mexia.  While in the drive thru, a high school team bus pulled in and the guys filed out in their uniforms into the Whataburger.  It reminded me of my HS days, as Whataburger was always the place we'd stop after games as well.  Coach would even use Whataburger as some light hearted incentive..."hey Hudson, you throw out every base stealer tonight, and you get double meat, double cheese..."  Brought back some good memories. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:03:46 am »
There are going to be people in your life who in trying to be helpful, do just the opposite.

My son was pitching last night.  Rebounded nicely from a lead off HR to a kid who went 7-7 in the DH with a BB and HBP. 

In the 4th inning, the catcher took a foul ball off the leg.  Ump goes out to the mound to give the catcher time to recover.  Tells my son, "if you had a better catcher, you would have 5-10 more strikes".  There was no need to say that to my son.  He doesn't get to choose his catcher.  So by trying to make my son feel better, he increased tension between my son and the catcher.  Thanks blue. Why don't you just add if the 3B hadn't committed 2 errors in the second, he would have thrown another inning before reaching his pitch count limit. 

He wasn't wrong.  Catcher was not sticking pitches. He was letting the glove drop and was taking ball out of the zone.

How do you respond to such a comment? The umpire was out of line in my opinion, even if he was right.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:14:14 am »

Does this imply that the ump was calling balls on pitches he realized a fraction of a second later were strikes?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:19:03 am »
Does this imply that the ump was calling balls on pitches he realized a fraction of a second later were strikes?

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he simply recognized that the catcher was struggling, and it most likely affected potential borderline pitches, not that he was consciously calling making bad calls. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:23:57 am »
That makes sense. It just seems like a funny thing to say no matter how you look at it.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 11:24:57 am »
Yeah it was all borderline pitches. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 12:36:12 pm »
Yeah it was all borderline pitches.

seems to me if the ump was going to say anything about the pitch framing to anyone it would have been to the coach that could have demonstrated to the catcher how to help out his pitcher.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:01:56 am »
Really proud of my kid last night.  Pitched a great game and overcame adversity in the process. 

1st inning - E5 gave an extra out.  Stranded runner at third. 0-0
2nd inning - E5 and dropped 3rd strike gave two extra outs.  Stranded runner on 3rd. up 1-0
3rd inning - gives up single and double.  Run scores but strands runner at 3rd again. up 3-1
4th inning - just a lead off single and no other adventure.  Easiest inning. up 3-1
5th inning - gives up a no doubt HR on a 3-1 pitch.  Next batter he freezes for a K.  Gives up a double and then a HBP before getting the final out on a 3 pitch K.  up 3-2
6th inning - another easy 1,2, single, 3 inning. up 5-2
7th inning - another easy 1,2,single caught stealing.  5-2 final.

Line for the night 7 IP (98 pitches), 8 hits, 2 runs, 2 ER, 11 K, 0 BB, 1 HBP

Never saw any bad body language or frustration.  Highest K total ever. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 01:47:20 pm »
Really proud of my kid last night.  Pitched a great game and overcame adversity in the process. 

1st inning - E5 gave an extra out.  Stranded runner at third. 0-0
2nd inning - E5 and dropped 3rd strike gave two extra outs.  Stranded runner on 3rd. up 1-0
3rd inning - gives up single and double.  Run scores but strands runner at 3rd again. up 3-1
4th inning - just a lead off single and no other adventure.  Easiest inning. up 3-1
5th inning - gives up a no doubt HR on a 3-1 pitch.  Next batter he freezes for a K.  Gives up a double and then a HBP before getting the final out on a 3 pitch K.  up 3-2
6th inning - another easy 1,2, single, 3 inning. up 5-2
7th inning - another easy 1,2,single caught stealing.  5-2 final.

Line for the night 7 IP (98 pitches), 8 hits, 2 runs, 2 ER, 11 K, 0 BB, 1 HBP

Never saw any bad body language or frustration.  Highest K total ever.

Outstanding! Great line and to go 7 IP.  Amazing that he struck out 11 but only threw 98 pitches.  Must have a good defense behind him, too.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 07:12:39 pm »
Must have a good defense behind him, too.

Third looks a little shaky and we know that his catcher sucks... I like how he seems already to have learned a lesson that other pitchers sometimes never learn - the solo home run doesn't mean dick. Also, I imagine he's learned this one, now, too - don't get behind in the count to some big bastard who can hit the ball five hundred feet.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂșntale a Pedro Navaja

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 09:10:44 pm »
Third looks a little shaky and we know that his catcher sucks... I like how he seems already to have learned a lesson that other pitchers sometimes never learn - the solo home run doesn't mean dick. Also, I imagine he's learned this one, now, too - don't get behind in the count to some big bastard who can hit the ball five hundred feet.

Yep 3rd is very shaky.  Different catcher this time.  And he only had one other three ball count.  He threw first pitch strikes to 25 of 32 batters.  67/98 pitches were strikes. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 11:13:31 pm »
Yep 3rd is very shaky.  Different catcher this time.  And he only had one other three ball count.  He threw first pitch strikes to 25 of 32 batters.  67/98 pitches were strikes.

Outstanding!!! Fuck those hitters. I own the inside of the plate!
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 07:04:59 am »
First of all, thanks for indulging my rants and brags.

Son pitched yesterday.  6 1/3 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 3 ER, 10 K, 1 BB.  Team made 8 errors.  2 by 3rd, 3 by SS, 1 by 1B and 2 by LF on balls he didn't field cleanly off the ground allowing extra basses. 

After pitching around error trouble in the first two innings; in the 3rd, he gave up a double, followed by a HR to a kid who has signed with the Univ. of Alabama. Tied 2-2 after 3.

In the top of the 6th, his team puts 4 on the board to give him a 6-2 cushion.  But in the bottom half, the error bug bits for 3 unearned runs to make it 6-5.  Nothing happens in the top half of the inning. 

Bottom of the 7th (son starts inning at 109 pitches) error allows lead off to reach.  They bunt him over.  So....

Kid coming to the plate has already hit one out in this game.  And he hit one out against another team in an earlier game that day (spring break tourney).  First base is open, who votes we walk him?  Coach says pitch to him.  Gets him to swing and miss at a change.  Misses with the next three pitches.  On his 121pitch, kid his his second HR of the game and 3rd of the day for a walk off HR. 

Wind was blowing out to center pretty strong. It might have helped the first HR but not the second. It was crushed. 

Frustrating loss.  After game, coach comes to me and says "I need to talk with you and your wife about your son.  I have had a juco coach call me about him and wanted to know what your interest is."  The juco coach had been at the previous game he pitched to watch two other kids who have signed with him and saw our son pitch.  Son has already told the HS coach, he isn't really interested in a juco because he is going to college for academics not to try and extend his ball career.  Still it is nice to be noticed and the timing was good after a rough loss.

Tonywatson

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 09:14:55 am »
In regard to the juco, I felt the same way. Navarro JC coach wanted me to come play and I said no, I'm going to A&M, I ain't goin to no stinking juco. My biggest regret from teenager-hood. I say go juco for a year, play ball and stack up as many basics as you can, and work on the transition from home to college. Then after that first year, he will have a better perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 01:05:28 pm »
Don't get behind in the count to some big bastard who can hit the ball five hundred feet.

Once he was down 3-1 why did your son try to come back with a strike?
Y todo lo que sube baja

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 03:21:06 pm »
Don't get behind in the count to some big bastard who can hit the ball five hundred feet.

Once he was down 3-1 why did your son try to come back with a strike?
It is what the coach called

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 03:32:00 pm »
It is what the coach called

I'm sure it was. My question is why didn't he just throw a fastball well off the plate and move on to the next guy?
Y todo lo que sube baja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 06:53:40 pm »
I'm sure it was. My question is why didn't he just throw a fastball well off the plate and move on to the next guy?

I don't think many kids are going to defy a coach in high school.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 05:41:13 am »
In regard to the juco, I felt the same way. Navarro JC coach wanted me to come play and I said no, I'm going to A&M, I ain't goin to no stinking juco. My biggest regret from teenager-hood. I say go juco for a year, play ball and stack up as many basics as you can, and work on the transition from home to college. Then after that first year, he will have a better perspective.

We have had that conversation.  He feels like it will be a waste of time since he will have a good number of his basic credits from his ACT score and his AP credits.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 05:47:01 am »

The more efficient route would have been to just plunk the kid and save the pitches since he was near the max #.  The message he has heard from me and from other coaches is that folks who ignore what the coach calls to do what they think is right are selfish and not a team player.  For example, he has a kid on the team right now who won't bunt when the coach calls it. It pisses him off that the coach won't do something about the selfish behavior.  He is learning there are exceptions to every rule and figuring out the exceptions is the hard part. And the part that requires courage.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 09:09:42 am »
The more efficient route would have been to just plunk the kid and save the pitches since he was near the max #.  The message he has heard from me and from other coaches is that folks who ignore what the coach calls to do what they think is right are selfish and not a team player.  For example, he has a kid on the team right now who won't bunt when the coach calls it. It pisses him off that the coach won't do something about the selfish behavior.  He is learning there are exceptions to every rule and figuring out the exceptions is the hard part. And the part that requires courage.

The coach was obviously sticking to the old "rule" about not walking the winning run.  And there's nothing wrong with trying to get a strike 3-1, but I certainly wouldn't have thrown a fastball.  Since he got the kid to swing and miss on an off speed pitch earlier in the count, another changeup or a breaking ball, off the plate, wouldn't have been an unreasonable selection.  Throwing him a "get a strike" fastball there is just bad baseball, however. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 04:10:33 am »
The coach was obviously sticking to the old "rule" about not walking the winning run.  And there's nothing wrong with trying to get a strike 3-1, but I certainly wouldn't have thrown a fastball.  Since he got the kid to swing and miss on an off speed pitch earlier in the count, another changeup or a breaking ball, off the plate, wouldn't have been an unreasonable selection.  Throwing him a "get a strike" fastball there is just bad baseball, however.

I'm with HH. The kid who already turned on a fastball of mine isn't going to get another one. He'd have seen a steady diet of splitters and curveballs.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 06:33:29 am »
  Throwing him a "get a strike" fastball there is just bad baseball, however.

That is one of the challenges and lessons this year.  Sometimes, your coach/boss is an idiot.  He blamed the loss the day my son pitched on the fact the boys chose to wear a different hat rather than the one they had worn for the last 4 wins. He said it to me and another dad.  He was serious.  Really dude? A hat! Not the 8 errors, four unearned runs and 2 HR caused us to lose 7-6?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 12:22:35 pm »
Welp. There you have it. Your son apparently is learning a sad truth that usually begins to dawn on one at some point in adolescence and which adults are generally tasked to navigate all through life - some authority figures are in fact imbeciles.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 08:54:04 am »
Welp. There you have it. Your son apparently is learning a sad truth that usually begins to dawn on one at some point in adolescence and which adults are generally tasked to navigate all through life - some authority figures are in fact imbeciles.

Exhibit 1
“James had a real good game. He threw two pitches, they scored four runs on them two pitches. All that done was give them the fuel for the fire when that happens. James did well.”

Sounds like a genius, right?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 09:17:03 am »
Exhibit 1

Yep. A bona fide Einstein.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 09:18:21 am »
Exhibit 1

He's got several rungs to get to genius. He's stuck on 'mildly sober' or 'coherent'.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 12:23:31 pm »
I don't know about coherent. The idiosyncratic use of the fuel for the fire idiom leaves me wondering what 'that' is and why anyone would need more fuel for a fire if the fire is the game as it were and the game is over thanks to, if I interpret this correctly, one of those 'thats.'

Anyway, I see where he did indeed call for a fastball 3-1.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 07:09:21 pm »
Os it what that done or what that didn't do?
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 09:14:20 am »
1st area game last night.  Son dueled a kid who has signed with Alabama as a pitcher to a 1-1 tie through 8 innings.  Son's team took the lead in the 9th off a reliever.

Son's line from last night 8 IP/3 H/ 1 R/ 0 ER/ 2 K/ 0 BB/ 1 HBP. Defense made 5 errors but made many more plays than they missed.  The kid who was responsible for most of the errors ended up getting the big hit in the 9th to give the team the lead. 

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 11:59:11 am »
Our season is winding down.  The latest lesson is sometimes your best isn't good enough.

He was on the mound for a must win area game.  He pitched a complete game.  7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 9 K, 1 BB, 1 HBP.  His team lost 1-0 and got one hit by the opposing pitcher.  The run scored in an inning where there were 4 errors made.  The team has now made 92 errors in 30 games!

The team has lost 8 of their last 10 the two wins were with my son on the mound.  The team is falling apart.  It is sad to watch.  He will likely have one more start before the year is out. 

Current line is 3-3 / 47 2/3 IP / 36 H/ 26 R/ 12 ER/ 50 K/ 4 BB/ 3 HBP/ 1.76 ERA/ .881 WHIP

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 12:44:37 pm »
Our season is winding down.  The latest lesson is sometimes your best isn't good enough.

He was on the mound for a must win area game.  He pitched a complete game.  7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 9 K, 1 BB, 1 HBP.  His team lost 1-0 and got one hit by the opposing pitcher.  The run scored in an inning where there were 4 errors made.  The team has now made 92 errors in 30 games!

The team has lost 8 of their last 10 the two wins were with my son on the mound.  The team is falling apart.  It is sad to watch.  He will likely have one more start before the year is out. 

Current line is 3-3 / 47 2/3 IP / 36 H/ 26 R/ 12 ER/ 50 K/ 4 BB/ 3 HBP/ 1.76 ERA/ .881 WHIP

We've all played on "that" team. Tell him to keep his chin up and keep competing.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 09:48:43 pm »
I've genuinely enjoyed these updates/lessons, Duman.
And lest we forget the joys of childhood baseball, my 7-yr-old caught a pop fly in a game today.  I couldn't see it from two states away, but I imagine it was a 10-foot bloop that somehow landed in the open glove dangling by his side.  I'm certain his general obliviousness will result in many (or few) Sexy Bitch catches over the year(s).
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 08:08:23 am »
I've genuinely enjoyed these updates/lessons, Duman.
And lest we forget the joys of childhood baseball, my 7-yr-old caught a pop fly in a game today.  I couldn't see it from two states away, but I imagine it was a 10-foot bloop that somehow landed in the open glove dangling by his side.  I'm certain his general obliviousness will result in many (or few) Sexy Bitch catches over the year(s).

Catching pop flies is huge at that age.  I was more busy looking for 4 leaf clovers than catching the ball at that age. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 09:08:02 am »
Catching pop flies is huge at that age.  I was more busy looking for 4 leaf clovers than catching the ball at that age.

I know 25 year olds who are too busy picking daisies to catch fly balls. 

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 09:34:00 pm »

He didn't get the final start.  They let a senior start the last game, as they should have since it really didn't matter.  They lost again.  They lost 9 or their last 10 to finish the year 14-18.  Very frustrating season. 

a few weeks break and then bring on summer ball. 

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:58 am »
So they removed the coach from coaching duties.  So I think that qualifies my son for a record.  His senior year, he will be on his 5th coach in his high school career.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 09:22:46 am »
So they removed the coach from coaching duties.  So I think that qualifies my son for a record.  His senior year, he will be on his 5th coach in his high school career.

tell them I am available.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2017, 07:26:02 am »
tell them I am available.

I would love to have you coach him. 

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Final lessons from High School baseball
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 04:48:34 pm »
So the senior year is about half way done here in Alabama.  Lil Duman is having quite the season. 

On the mound: 3W-1L- 1 Sv/ 22 IP/ 19 H/14 R/ 5 ER/ 5 BB/ 32 K/4 HB 1.59 ERA
Last night he came into the game with 2 outs in the 6th, runners on the corners with a 2 run lead. Struck out the lead off batter on 4 pitches.  We score an insurance run to make it 6-3.  #2 hitter leads off with a solid single.  Goes to second on a wild pitch.  The #3 hitter is their big stud.  One of the pitches grazes his pants leg.  He doesn't walk on to first.  Ump didn't call the HBP.  Coach goes ape, kid just digs back in the box.  Son later said he thought the kid told the ump he wanted to hit.  Count goes 2-2.  Son throws a change up that elicits a Todd Frazier type swing and the stud walks back to the dugout.  Next guy is frozen on a 2-2 curve for another K.  Next guy walks to put runners on the corners (another passed ball moved the lead off man over).  So tying run comes to the plate. 

With a 1-1 count, a wild pitch allows a run to score and the other runner to get in scoring position.  I can tell my son is seething at this point.  Strike 2 swinging.  Ball 2.  Strike 3 swinging - catcher drops the ball but is able to throw the runner out at 1st.  A 4 out 4K save. 

Lesson learned last night from the stud - Don't try to be the hero.  Take the free base when you can get it.

Oh, and he currently has an 11 game hitting streak and is hitting .455/.489/.545. Last year, he got 40 PAs all year long.  This coach has had him hitting clean up or in the 3 hole from day one. 

New coach is a baseball coach.  Team is currently 10-5. What a difference a year makes.  The only gap right now is the starting SR catcher is out with a hurt finger for a few weeks due to a catchers interference.  He will make a big difference behind the plate.  He can block better than the sophomore who has been thrust into the everyday role. 

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2018, 06:05:44 am »
So, my son was on the mound for what is likely his last home start last night facing the cross county rival.  Through 6 1/3 he had a no hitter going and a 7-0 cushion. The clean up man is up.  Two outs away from a no hitter.  And the kid laid down a great bunt down the 3rd base line.  My son makes a nice play but sails the throw.  Person scoring, scored it as an error.  The next kid hits a grounder through the 5 hole for the first hit.  Then the 3rd baseman makes back to back errors and we are at 7-2.  Son settled down and got the final two outs. 

His line for the night was 7 IP, 1 H, 2 R/0ER, 7 K, 0 BB, 1 HB, 79 pitches. 
Season line 48 IP/ 42 H, 32 R/ 11 ER/ 61 K/ 7 BB/ 7 HB/ 1.60 ERA/ 1.04 WHIP

He also went 2 for 4 at the plate.  He is hitting .400/.435/.450.  He has a hit in 20 out of 24 games this year. 
(yeah, I am pretty proud of this kid's performance this year)

He was interviewed by the local paper after the game.  The reporter asked him about the bunt.  He said he gave a politically correct "I knew I just needed to settle down and get the last two outs".  I asked him what he wanted to say and he said "Well, I thought it was a real dickhead move to bunt down 7 just to break up a no hitter but....."  Glad his filter worked.

Today's lesson.  People are jerks and sometimes despite that, you have to still put on a good face. 

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2018, 06:25:59 am »
Those are outstanding numbers! Congratulations to your son.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:32 pm »

He was interviewed by the local paper after the game.

Here is the game story from that game
When your local paper is a weekly, you have to wait a week for a game story.

Since then, the team has really come together.  They needed a sweep in their final area games to make the playoffs.  Son pitched the first game (7 IP, 4 H, 1 R/ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 94 P) - they won 9-1.  Second game was a tight contest.  Another pitcher who has been dealing with arm issues this year pitched his first complete game of the year and handled a great deal of traffic.  They got out hit 7 to 3 but managed a 2-1 victory. 

Tonight was senior night and the final regular season game.  They play offs start next weekend and they will enter riding a 5 game win streak. 

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 03:06:03 pm »
Exciting times.   Good luck and keep us posted.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2018, 10:05:17 am »
The end

Last night the team was swept by a solid baseball team.  4-0, 4-2.  Our pitching and defense were good but the bats didn't come through at the right times. 

Son started game 1.  He went 5 1/3 IP.  When he was removed, he was down 4-0. He was on the mound, ball in the glove, the glove close to his heart.  He wasn't ready to give up the ball.  The coach told him we wanted to save some of his pitches if needed in relief in Game 2.  Son left the game and the relief pitcher did a nice job of getting the final two outs.  His line 5 1/3 (88 pitches), 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K.  Son went 0-3 with 2 K's. 

In between the games, their team went to the cage and took swings, our players hung out with family and friends.  It didn't look good for game 2. 

In game 2, my son was brought in from 3rd to pitch with 2 outs in the top of 6th with the game tied and bases loaded.  He had not warmed up to pitch between innings.  He gave up a hard single to LF.  LF was occupied by the kid who had loaded the bases on the mound.  He misplayed the ball and all three runs scored.  Son struck out the next batter to end the inning. 

We came to bat in the 7th down 4-1.  The first two outs came quickly.  Then a single.  My son walked. Next kid doubles to score one and put the tying run at 2nd.  Next kid strikes out K 2-3.  End of the season. 

After the game, one of the other team coaches stopped my son and said "That was some voo-doo shit you were throwing, we were glad to get you out of the game". 

Making responsible decisions sucks

The same coach asked him where he was playing ball next year and my son said no where.  The coach was shocked.  When my son explained he had an academic full ride to Auburn, the coach said "that makes sense". 

My son has talked about walking on but he realizes with his velo (83-85), he isn't likely to make the team.  He realizes this may have been his last baseball game.  He is going to miss it and I am going to miss watching him.  But I am extremely proud of his decision to not go into debt to play baseball (he had some options at private schools).

Here is his line for his Sr Season:

Pitching: 60 2/3 IP, 64 H, 37 R, 15 ER, 70 K, 13 BB, 8 HBP, 1.731 ERA, 1.104 WHIP
Hitting:  .376/.427/.419 His 19 RBIs tied for the team lead.  9 of those came with 2 outs. 

For his HS career:

Pitching : 169 IP, 143 H, 82 R, 38 ER, 162 K, 26 BB, 18 HBP, 1.574 ERA, 1.000 WHIP
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 10:31:06 am by Duman »

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 05:46:59 pm »
Congratulations to him on a fine high school career.

And to you for getting to watch it. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2018, 04:03:26 pm »
Great career. Sad when it is over. Been there.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.