Author Topic: Tidbits from interview with Allen Rowin  (Read 2424 times)

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Tidbits from interview with Allen Rowin
« on: February 26, 2016, 05:33:59 am »
Listening to MLB network yesterday...tidbits from it below:

Bregman:  Off the charts makeup.  He comes from a fantastic program at LSU so already solid fundamentally but does need to work some on making plays going in the hole at SS.  Definitely a strong possibility that he could open at CC but will have to let spring play out.

Daz Cameron:  Again, great makeup.

Kyle Tucker:  There are many players that are good at putting the bat on the ball and making contact.  Kyle is special because he's extremely good at putting the barrel of the bat on the ball.  To have the skill at such an early age is exciting.

Reed:  He's more athletic than people give him credit.  He will need to work hard this season on his approach versus LHP.  They expect him to see a lot when/if he graduates to the big leagues. 

Musgrove:  Off the charts in terms of command of three pitches.  Even more impressive is that all three pitches are quality pitches (i.e. he's not just flipping a show curveball up there).  Only walked 8 batters over more than 100 IP across three levels last season.  He's a student of the game and he's sure if you asked him, that he could recall each of the 8 batters he walked, the situation, count, etc.  He went on to say that this was big for Musgrove as the Astros Org likes to say, "Astros don't walk people."  This is a huge part of their philosophy.

Tyler White:  Let him give C at try at instructional league but this will not be his calling.  This will give AJ Hinch an extra option though in an emergency situation.  This kid's bat is special and he's going to hit.  You can always find a way to get this kind of a bat on the field.

Moran:  Was great in 2nd half of last season.  This year they are looking for him to produce a great season start to finish.  The K-ratio is good but they want him to work on driving the ball more.

When asked who might be a sleeper to watch in the system this season Allen stated, "Well, I'll give you a deep sleeper." -- Angel Heredia (spelling?) - P - 5' 11" tall from Dominican.  Good fastball and a "slider that drops off the face of the earth."

That is all.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Tidbits from interview with Allen Rowin
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 06:57:20 am »
Great report.  Thanks
Always ready to go to a game.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:42:39 am »
Up in the Air

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:36:25 am »
Great report.  Thanks
Yep. Although I had to google who Allen Rowin was. Interesting that he's been with the org for 9 years - doubt there's many left who can claim that.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:56:18 am »
He is a good guy and a good baseball guy too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always ready to go to a game.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 02:18:56 pm »
Great report.  Thanks

+1 (or +4 or whatever the hell we're up to).

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 03:39:46 pm »

He went on to say that this was big for Musgrove as the Astros Org likes to say, "Astros don't walk people."  This is a huge part of their philosophy.

Love that. Thanks for the writeup!

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 09:28:21 am »

Love that. Thanks for the writeup!

This quote reminds me of the night Mark and I sat with Cliff Gustafson as we watched Brooks Kieschnick pitch a playoff game during his senior year in HS. He walked a guy, and Coach G. said "That is his third walk." I said "I don't think so, Coach. I do not remember three walks." He replied "I mean his third walk all year."
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 02:22:26 am »
When asked who might be a sleeper to watch in the system this season Allen stated, "Well, I'll give you a deep sleeper." -- Angel Heredia (spelling?) - P - 5' 11" tall from Dominican.  Good fastball and a "slider that drops off the face of the earth."

So how'd Heredia do in 2016? A very promising beginning to his AA career with 20 Ks vs just 3 Ws in 12 IP for the Hooks after a promotion from Lancaster. Unfortunately he went on the DL on June 3rd and did not return.

(BTW, Rowin himself had a rough 2016 as the Director of Minor League Operations lost his job with the Astros in that recent FO restructuring announced at the end of August.)