Author Topic: "Mindset Coach"  (Read 2455 times)

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
"Mindset Coach"
« on: October 22, 2015, 07:53:10 pm »
I'd imagine most of you wouldn't think Morgan Ensberg when you think "solid mindset" due to his well discussed issues watching pitches go by. But at least from my little neck-of-the-woods professional career, someone that may have struggled with the "yips" can often be the person that knows the most about avoiding it. I like this.

eta: http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2015/10/22/astros-make-morgan-ensberg-a-mindset-coach/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:02:39 am by WVastro »

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: "Mindset Coach"
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:30:10 pm »
That's not nearly as shocking as the Astros still being in the National League and Chris Holt being named a pitching coach.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/oct/22/thursdays-sports-transactions/
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 08:35:02 pm »
i remember mr holt and that is an oxymoron
forever is composed entirely of nows

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:55:52 pm »

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 06:48:53 am »
One of my favorite experiences during the year I did color for the Express involved Ensberg. We were in SA, and I was sitting on the on-field bullpen bench watching BP. Ensberg finished his round of cuts, lapped the bases, then came to the bench and sat down by me. I asked if he was going to winter ball.  He said yes, and talked for a good ten minutes about the role of winter ball in his development. Most of it was not about hitting or fielding but rather was about learning to be a professional baseball player. Morgan is likable, intelligent, thoughtful, analytical, and articulate. My bet is this role is made for him, and he will be very successful in it.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 07:33:58 am »
I'm glad to see this. He strikes me as a thoughtful person who is likely to change at least one player's career.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 07:50:50 am »
Morgan's Twitter feed indicates that a) he has a very good relationship with many of the Astros current and former minor leaguers and b) he is very supportive and positive. Morgan really seems like one of the good guys, and I'm happy that the Astros have him affiliated with the organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 08:29:49 am »
Ditto.  In my minimal interaction with Morgan, he proved himself thoughtful and driven.  And he clearly cares a lot about the success of the kids the organization is developing.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 08:36:05 am »
Morgan is likable, intelligent, thoughtful, analytical, and articulate.

Thanks for sharing that Jim. I've enjoyed his insights the one time I heard him as an analyst and have also appreciated his blog posts.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 09:38:12 am »
Morgan's Twitter feed indicates that a) he has a very good relationship with many of the Astros current and former minor leaguers and b) he is very supportive and positive. Morgan really seems like one of the good guys, and I'm happy that the Astros have him affiliated with the organization.

Watching him freeze in the WS was horrible on so many levels; one of them being that it was a seriously shitty thing happening to a seriously good guy.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 10:34:08 am »
One of my favorite experiences during the year I did color for the Express involved Ensberg. We were in SA, and I was sitting on the on-field bullpen bench watching BP. Ensberg finished his round of cuts, lapped the bases, then came to the bench and sat down by me. I asked if he was going to winter ball.  He said yes, and talked for a good ten minutes about the role of winter ball in his development. Most of it was not about hitting or fielding but rather was about learning to be a professional baseball player. Morgan is likable, intelligent, thoughtful, analytical, and articulate. My bet is this role is made for him, and he will be very successful in it.

He responds to tweets also.  I told him I would like him to be in the broadcast booth.  It was apparently discussed but obviously, they went with Ashby.  I think he could be great because he was watching so many of these players in the minors that he has a fresh perspective on them.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 10:36:24 am »
He responds to tweets also.  I told him I would like him to be in the broadcast booth.  It was apparently discussed but obviously, they went with Ashby.  I think he could be great because he was watching so many of these players in the minors that he has a fresh perspective on them.

he would be great at that.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 11:10:25 am »
When I spoke w/ him, he was prepping his first color commentary role on one of ESPN's college baseball broadcasts.  He was excited about the research he was doing before the game, which was still two weeks away.  I think some of the tools that would make him a good broadcaster would also make him good at connecting with players as a coach.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 03:44:09 pm »
Steve Springer is a performance coach for the Blue Jays working with their players on the mental side of hitting.  This sounds similar to Morgan's role.  But Springer is also a salesman and hawks his CD on the mental side of hitting.  He has some powerful players singing his praises:  http://www.qualityatbats.com/

Zobrist, Arenado, Daniel Murphy, AJ Pollock,  and Hank Conger (Can't win them all Springer)
Always ready to go to a game.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 08:31:08 pm »
Steve Springer is a performance coach for the Blue Jays working with their players on the mental side of hitting.  This sounds similar to Morgan's role.  But Springer is also a salesman and hawks his CD on the mental side of hitting.  He has some powerful players singing his praises:  http://www.qualityatbats.com/

Zobrist, Arenado, Daniel Murphy, AJ Pollock,  and Hank Conger (Can't win them all Springer)

On the other hand, think what Conger might be like without Springer's help!
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 08:43:41 pm »
On the other hand, think what Conger might be like without Springer's help!

Conger's problem is not his hitting.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 08:50:26 pm »
Conger's problem is not his hitting.

Oh, I'm fully aware of that. Just trying to have some fun while we wait to figure out how much rain we're going to get.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy