Author Topic: Greinke  (Read 7430 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Greinke
« on: October 16, 2015, 10:10:48 am »
one of my apps told me he is opting out of his Dodgers' contract. does Luhnow make a run at him?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Greinke
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 10:36:16 am »
I prefer him over Price.  He will get ridiculous money, and I'm not sure Crane is ready for that.

Semi-related note: the highest payroll left in the playoffs is the Blue Jays at #10.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 10:42:52 am »
I hope so. Darvish / Hamels / Holland gives me the heebs.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 11:16:30 am »
Greinke or Cueto would sure be nice. I would also love to see Alex Gordon in orange.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 11:23:14 am »
I don't know if I could deal with Cueto.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 11:52:07 am »
Greinke or Cueto would sure be nice. I would also love to see Alex Gordon in orange.

Rasmus has supposedly priced himself out of the Astros plans, and Gordon will almost certainly cost more.  Gordon brings a little more to the table, so I suppose there's a chance the Astros will be willing to enter that battle.

The Rasmus situation is interesting.  The consensus seems to be that he's gone, but it's worth noting that Colby was at his third stop before he found a clubhouse that welcomed his unique way of going about his business.  There's been tons written about how much that meant to him.  I usually scoff when people talk about players accepting the "home town discount", but I could see Rasmus asking his agent to work like hell to reach an agreement with Luhnow.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 11:57:35 am »
Rasmus has supposedly priced himself out of the Astros plans, and Gordon will almost certainly cost more.  Gordon brings a little more to the table, so I suppose there's a chance the Astros will be willing to enter that battle.

The Rasmus situation is interesting.  The consensus seems to be that he's gone, but it's worth noting that Colby was at his third stop before he found a clubhouse that welcomed his unique way of going about his business.  There's been tons written about how much that meant to him.  I usually scoff when people talk about players accepting the "home town discount", but I could see Rasmus asking his agent to work like hell to reach an agreement with Luhnow.

I hope Rasmus stays.  I really like him.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 12:07:03 pm »

I kind of agree.  I don't normally have much faith in home town discounts, especially with a player who's already been in several organizations.  But Rasmus seems to have found a home, and he's acknowledged that it's changed the way he looks at his career.  I can see someone like him saying "just make me a fair offer" and not try to squeeze anyone. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 12:20:28 pm »

I have a friend who has heard him say he wants to stay in Houston.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 12:22:00 pm »
I hope so. Darvish / Hamels / Holland gives me the heebs.

Darvish. Hamels. Holland. One doesn't fit in that picture.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 12:34:41 pm »
I kind of agree.  I don't normally have much faith in home town discounts, especially with a player who's already been in several organizations.  But Rasmus seems to have found a home, and he's acknowledged that it's changed the way he looks at his career.  I can see someone like him saying "just make me a fair offer" and not try to squeeze anyone.

I totally agree with this. he has been happy in a clubhouse for the first time.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 12:35:35 pm »

I do not want Cueto. I do not think KC did either until Game Five.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 12:44:57 pm »

Okay, I freely admit to being a fan who pays no attention to the financial minutiae of the sport.  Can someone explain the Astros' options in regard to the $15.8mil qualifying offer?  And where did that number come from?
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 12:47:25 pm »
Okay, I freely admit to being a fan who pays no attention to the financial minutiae of the sport.  Can someone explain the Astros' options in regard to the $15.8mil qualifying offer?  And where did that number come from?

I am not the person to ask.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 12:54:39 pm »

It is the average of the top 125 highest paid players.  BP had an article on this today and said Rasmus is on the bubble but will probably receive one.

My prediction: we give Rasmus a QO but he signs a 4-year deal somewhere else.  After thinking about it for 10 more seconds I think Oakland.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 01:04:48 pm »
I would like greinke but I'd be afraid of anything longer than 4 years.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 02:05:42 pm »
I do not want Cueto. I do not think KC did either until Game Five.

I'd much rather let Cueto go be an expensive enigma for somebody else.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 08:43:03 pm »
I lived (just recently moved) in Cincinnati for the past 7 years. I saw quite a bit of Cueto. In Cincy he was a damn hard worker and about as consistent a pitcher they've had for the past five years. He was downright dominating just a season ago and that followed a very admirable four years prior albeit with a few injuries. His start in game 5 was what I was used to seeing. All that crap with varied deliveries is a complete mystery to me as I never saw it (I didn't see every game he pitched) in any games until about a year ago and that also seemed injury related. I had attributed his struggles with KC to an injury which would be my main concern with the Astros  signing him.  He was one of the reasons baseball was bearable in that chili hellhole!

Also got to spend some time with him while I was a part of a National Anthem before a game just before he was traded, very nice guy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 11:08:05 pm by WVastro »

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 11:35:22 pm »

I would like greinke but I'd be afraid of anything longer than 4 years.

Greinke is going to get PAID; and not a whole lot of teams willing (or able) to pay what he'll command... I'd presume LAD will just write him a big check, but am curious if NYY will make a run at him.  As much as

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 06:41:37 pm »
I don't think the Astros need to spend money on starting pitching.  I would prefer to spend the money on a shut-down closer who misses bats.  I would make Rasmus a qualifying offer.  But if he wants to go elsewhere, that's fine too.

But I think that the biggest issue for the Astros is the Valbuena/Gattis/Carter triumverate.  I don't think that the Astros can keep three all or nothing hitters in the everyday lineup.
Boom!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 07:55:00 pm »
I don't think the Astros need to spend money on starting pitching.  I would prefer to spend the money on a shut-down closer who misses bats.  I would make Rasmus a qualifying offer.  But if he wants to go elsewhere, that's fine too.

But I think that the biggest issue for the Astros is the Valbuena/Gattis/Carter triumverate.  I don't think that the Astros can keep three all or nothing hitters in the everyday lineup.

Good analysis. A hard throwing closer is #1, but I confess to really liking Rasmus.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 08:19:11 pm »
wonder if the power is in the mullet
forever is composed entirely of nows

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 08:21:43 pm »

I'd love to see Chapman wearing an Astro uniform, hopefully the asking price has returned to low earth orbit. Chris Davis would solve a few problems as well. (Plus I like the thought of an ex-Ranger coming back to bite the Rangers).

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 08:29:52 pm »
Anybody interested in Jason Heyward? Might be expensive but I feel like he'd be a really good fit with this team.

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 08:38:44 pm »
Anybody interested in Jason Heyward? Might be expensive but I feel like he'd be a really good fit with this team.

I could see that. We've been spoiled by spectacular outfield defense, I don't want to see any regression there. Hey ward fits the bill.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 08:58:48 pm »

Nope

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2015, 09:07:02 pm »

Where would you put him?  The outfield is crowded enough. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2015, 09:12:32 pm »
If rasmus doesn't come back, I'd like heyward or Gordon. Both hit for better average than most guys we have and aren't all or nothing. Plus good defense.

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2015, 09:12:51 pm »

I'm assuming this is a Rasmus alternative. I still think Marisnick could put it all together, he was my favorite outfielder to watch this year.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2015, 11:25:10 pm »
Handsome Jake was fun to watch for the first 6 weeks.  Then reality set in.

I'm okay if the outfield next year is Tucker, Gomez, Springer.  I would hate for the Astros to give up on Tucker so quickly.  Marisnick is a fine 4th outfielder. 

If I had my way, I'd trade Carter (now that maybe he has some trade value again) and give the job to either Reed or Singleton.  I like Valbuena's defense at third, so I would give him the job. 

And I'd get rid of Conger and give the backup catching job to Stassi. 

Boom!

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2015, 11:51:57 pm »

I'm okay if the outfield next year is Tucker, Gomez, Springer.  I would hate for the Astros to give up on Tucker so quickly.  Marisnick is a fine 4th outfielder. 

If I had my way, I'd trade Carter (now that maybe he has some trade value again) and give the job to either Reed or Singleton.  I like Valbuena's defense at third, so I would give him the job. 

These are all very solid internal options and I'm glad the Astros have that to rely on. I'd be suprised if the FO doesn't make some type of splash in the free agent market this year though. i really would like to see an upgrade at the backup Cather position. No need to take chances there anymore.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 01:29:16 pm »

Stassi seems like a reasonable replacement for Conger - his cups of coffee have shown promise at the plate, and as long as he has a pulse he can't possibly be worse than Conger defensively.

I think Singleton's ship has sailed.  Can they afford to give the 1B job to Reed with no AAA/MLB experience while also knowing that they are expected to contend in 2016?

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 05:29:35 pm »
I was reading these posts about possible lineups for next year, and I started trying to remember the opening day lineup of 2014.  Here it is:

C  Castro   
1B Guzman   
2B Altuve   
3B Dominguez   
SS Villar   
LF Grossman   
CF Fowler   
RF Hoes   
SP Feldman

How things have changed.  Can't help but wonder about next year. 

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 10:14:13 pm »
Can they afford to give the 1B job to Reed with no AAA/MLB experience while also knowing that they are expected to contend in 2016?

I would hate to think that the ship has sailed on Singleton.  He had 47 at bats this past season.   Can the Astros give the guy some consistent at bats before they make a judgment on him -- especially since they have a decent sized investment in Singleton.  Singleton would be my first choice.

Reed is my second choice.  I agree with you that it would be great to give him some more experience.  If Singleton isn't hitting after the first six weeks and Reed is hitting in the minors, call Reed up as the Astros called up Correa this season. 

If neither performs, the Astros can put Valbuena at first and Lowrie at third.  I have to believe that Lowrie never really came back healthy this season and will have a better year in 2016.

The Astros have other internal options.  Tyler White/Matt Duffy down in the minors.  Marwin can be a stopgap.   

And in a worst-case scenario, there will be players available in trades. 

The Astros competed this year getting terrible production from first base.  So I don't think that utilizing these options is going to prevent the Astros from competing in 2016. 
Boom!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 06:23:56 am »
I would hate to think that the ship has sailed on Singleton.  He had 47 at bats this past season.   Can the Astros give the guy some consistent at bats before they make a judgment on him -- especially since they have a decent sized investment in Singleton. 

He had 310 in 2014 and did exactly squat with them.  He's had nearly 1,000 at bats over three seasons at AAA where he's been positively mediocre.  Your argument that the Astros haven't seen him hit just doesn't work.  And this is no longer a team that can afford to give away Major League at bats just for the hell of it.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 07:56:38 am »
And this is no longer a team that can afford to give away Major League at bats just for the hell of it.

This is what it comes down to for me.  He may very well figure it out, but it won't be in an Astros uniform.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 08:11:39 am »
This is what it comes down to for me.  He may very well figure it out, but it won't be in an Astros uniform.

The Astros do not need to deal with "prospects".  They need someone who can consistently hit at the Major League level.  They are not longer in development mode.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2015, 09:18:56 am »
The Astros do not need to deal with "prospects".  They need someone who can consistently hit at the Major League level.  They are not longer in development mode.

I wouldn't be surprised if they nearly always had a rookie in the lineup.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2015, 09:31:37 am »
Jon Heyman says Alex Gordon to the Astros is something to keep an eye on.  Of course, he is also a tool and he had this to say as well: 

The Astros had a terrific year, but one person associated with some Astros people said that "morale is at an altime low." That's because team higher-ups decided to remove the team's non-uniformed pension plan. They will replace it with something else, but it has employees concerned. The Astros also pay notoriously low salaries, with some sabremetric exceptions ... They are saying they may use the TrackMan system more for scouting, which measures spin rate, launch angles and the like, thus giving a nod to robots. One plus: Robots don't need pensions.
Always ready to go to a game.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2015, 09:40:47 am »
Jon Heyman says Alex Gordon to the Astros is something to keep an eye on.  Of course, he is also a tool and he had this to say as well:

"the TrackMan system more for scouting, which measures spin rate, launch angles and the like"

How does this replace a person?  You still need people to do everything else they've been doing.  Seems to me this just adds depth rather than replacing a person.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2015, 09:48:37 am »
Many teams, much like many companies in the country, are doing away with pension plans in favor of 401Ks. 

ETA:  The Angels and Red Sox were the first
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:52:31 am by Bench »
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2015, 09:51:31 am »
"the TrackMan system more for scouting, which measures spin rate, launch angles and the like"

How does this replace a person?  You still need people to do everything else they've been doing.  Seems to me this just adds depth rather than replacing a person.

Doesn't fit the narrative.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2015, 10:07:51 am »
Doesn't fit the narrative.

Windmills and me, we go way back.
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2015, 10:08:40 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if they nearly always had a rookie in the lineup.

I don't have a problem with rookies, necessarily.  I'm just saying the Astros should no longer be focusing on "projects" or hoping for developing guys by giving them extended time while struggling to play at this level.  They need Major League production at every position.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 10:16:49 am »
I don't have a problem with rookies, necessarily.  I'm just saying the Astros should no longer be focusing on "projects" or hoping for developing guys by giving them extended time while struggling to play at this level.  They need Major League production at every position.

I agree, but I would expect to see them give their highest rated rookies extended time to make adjustments because of the expectation that those rookies can make the adjustments.
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2015, 10:22:51 am »
I agree, but I would expect to see them give their highest rated rookies extended time to make adjustments because of the expectation that those rookies can make the adjustments.

I agree.  But Singleton is not a rookie.  He's struggled to hit AAA pitching consistently and struggled even more in extended time in MLB.  The Astros simply cannot afford to give Singleton 500 at bats hitting .160.  They did that with Carter and it was a huge problem.  I don't buy the logic of "well, they managed to compete with Carter as a gaping hole, so they can do it again with Singleton."  They survived with Carter.  That doesn't mean they should be OK with that level of production. 

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2015, 10:27:09 am »
I agree.  But Singleton is not a rookie.  He's struggled to hit AAA pitching consistently and struggled even more in extended time in MLB.  The Astros simply cannot afford to give Singleton 500 at bats hitting .160.  They did that with Carter and it was a huge problem.  I don't buy the logic of "well, they managed to compete with Carter as a gaping hole, so they can do it again with Singleton."  They survived with Carter.  That doesn't mean they should be OK with that level of production.

Completely agree.  I would use Singleton as the example of giving plenty of at-bats then not being able to adjust and seeing additional at-bats disappear.

Luhnow is on record with the idea of giving the prospect Reed a shot at the major league roster next spring.  He'd be one to get extended time if he made the 25-man.
Goin' for a bus ride.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2015, 01:21:55 pm »

I hope Rasmus stays.  The thought of an outfield with 4 guys that can play CF any given day is exciting for me and Astros pitchers.

Edited to reflect my idiocy in leaving out George Springer.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 01:28:38 pm by DVauthrin »
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2015, 01:22:48 pm »
Whatcha gonna do with Springer?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2015, 01:26:56 pm »
Whatcha gonna do with Springer?

Start him in right where he belongs.  Can't believe I forgot about him.  I'd rotate all but Marisnick at DH when they need a break from playing in the field.   Marisnick needs to be the everyday CF, unless he's traded to get that power arm in the pen or a good everyday 1B.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2015, 01:53:33 pm »
Start him in right where he belongs.  Can't believe I forgot about him.  I'd rotate all but Marisnick at DH when they need a break from playing in the field.   Marisnick needs to be the everyday CF, unless he's traded to get that power arm in the pen or a good everyday 1B.

Gomez is going to be the everyday center fielder.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »
Gomez is going to be the everyday center fielder.
I thought I read a Luhnow quote when the trade first happened that implied they might shift Gomez to a corner, just not in the middle of the season. Obviously if Rasmus or any other FA corner OF is signed that could change.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2015, 05:53:52 pm »
I can't see Marisnick as the everyday CF unless he improves his offense consistently. If they don't add another outfielder to the mix, it's Springer, Gomez and tucker/Marisnick platoon. CF is all Gomez unless he gets hurt

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2015, 04:49:28 pm »
Singleton is 23 years old.  And he had a .360 OBP at Fresno and hit 22 home runs.  Again, he is 23!  AJ Reed is 22.

I'm not saying to give him 500 at bats.  But can we give him six weeks of everyday playing time?  Again, he can't put up worse numbers than Carter did for most of the season.  Of course, if he doesn't hit after six weeks I'm fine with dropping Singleton and putting in Reed. 
Boom!

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2015, 04:55:10 pm »
Singleton is 23 years old.  And he had a .360 OBP at Fresno and hit 22 home runs.  Again, he is 23!  AJ Reed is 22.

I'm not saying to give him 500 at bats.  But can we give him six weeks of everyday playing time?  Again, he can't put up worse numbers than Carter did for most of the season.  Of course, if he doesn't hit after six weeks I'm fine with dropping Singleton and putting in Reed.

Fresno is something of a launching pad, as are most of the PCL parks from El Paso and west.  No matter how bad Carter was this season the Astros didn't think enough of Singleton to promote him and give him another chance full-time.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2015, 05:23:12 pm »
Fresno is something of a launching pad, as are most of the PCL parks from El Paso and west.  No matter how bad Carter was this season the Astros didn't think enough of Singleton to promote him and give him another chance full-time.
Not sure that tells the whole story.  Yeah, they didn't think enough of him to cut Carter, but that might have been Carter's latent promise more than a negative opinion of Singleton.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2015, 07:28:12 pm »
Not sure that tells the whole story.  Yeah, they didn't think enough of him to cut Carter, but that might have been Carter's latent promise more than a negative opinion of Singleton.

They parked Carter for Marwin or Valbuena.  If they thought Singleton would contribute significantly they'd have recalled him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2015, 07:52:00 pm »
They parked Carter for Marwin or Valbuena.  If they thought Singleton would contribute significantly they'd have recalled him.

This

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2015, 07:53:43 pm »
one of my apps told me he is opting out of his Dodgers' contract. does Luhnow make a run at him?

My opinion is hell no.  Baseball these days is a game for the young.  Grienke is going to be 32 tomorrow.  You will never see the production you will pay for. 

There are 37 pitchers this year with a WAR > 3.  Exactly 2 of them were 32 and older.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:05:50 pm by pots »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2015, 10:01:07 pm »
My opinion is hell no.  Baseball these days is a game for the young.  Grienke is going to be 32 tomorrow.  You will never see the production you will pay for. 

There are 37 pitchers this year with a WAR > 3.  Exactly 2 of them were 32 and older.

My comment had a ? at the end.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2015, 06:00:48 pm »
My comment had a ? at the end.

Then it wasn't a comment. 

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2015, 08:33:54 pm »
I'm very curious to see what Luhnow does with the bullpen. There aren't any big-time established Closers on the FA market. So the idea that he might revisit trade talks for Kimbrel or Aroldis Chapman makes some sense. On the other hand, signing someone like Ryan Madson or Joakim Soria could be more Luhnow's style. Tyler Clippard is out there too, although he walks a lot of guys.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2015, 09:32:15 pm »

I'm very curious to see what Luhnow does with the bullpen. There aren't any big-time established Closers on the FA market. So the idea that he might revisit trade talks for Kimbrel or Aroldis Chapman makes some sense. On the other hand, signing someone like Ryan Madson or Joakim Soria could be more Luhnow's style. Tyler Clippard is out there too, although he walks a lot of guys.

Fwiw:
@Buster_ESPN: There is a lot of sentiment within the Reds' baseball operations for them to trade veterans this winter and go for HOU/CHC style rebuild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2015, 12:03:16 am »
Hmmmm... Votto and a chunk of his salary for Singleton sounds good to me.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2015, 08:08:24 am »

I strongly suspect that if Luhnow thought that Singleton was an upgrade on Carter, we'd have seen him, latent promise or not.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2015, 09:09:07 am »
Then it wasn't a comment.

you got me.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2015, 11:26:27 am »
I'm not saying to give him 500 at bats.  But can we give him six weeks of everyday playing time? 

No.  This is not a team that can afford to do that.  They're no longer in development phase.  If the Astros think he's the answer, then be all means give him the job.  But this is no longer a Major League tryout roster. 

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2015, 01:10:21 pm »
Fwiw:
@Buster_ESPN: There is a lot of sentiment within the Reds' baseball operations for them to trade veterans this winter and go for HOU/CHC style rebuild.

Soon, there will be so many teams doing this that there will be a glut of dumped vets.  NYY can only snap up so many of them.  I wonder when it starts to affect FA values.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.