Author Topic: The shift  (Read 1993 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
The shift
« on: October 10, 2015, 09:17:30 am »
I realize this management team believes in it and will keep doing it until the metrics do not favor it. A modification I would urge if I had a voice is to play a conventional DP alignment in those situations when a DP is desperately needed. That modification would have gotten us out of the 6th with a 4-3 lead.

Forgotten in all our hand-wringing over the change of fate in the 6th and 7th is the offense's going stagnant with Cueto on the ropes. Had Correa's liner to right been fair....

Ifs and buts galore
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:19:32 am by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
Re: The shift
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:11:07 am »
I realize this management team believes in it and will keep doing it until the metrics do not favor it. A modification I would urge if I had a voice is to play a conventional DP alignment in those situations when a DP is desperately needed. That modification would have gotten us out of the 6th with a 4-3 lead.

I totally agree, and hope they are working their analytical model that direction. Sometimes the next evolutionary step appears to be a step back.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:40:37 pm »
I totally agree, and hope they are working their analytical model that direction. Sometimes the next evolutionary step appears to be a step back.

Agreed as well. Another thing I 'think' I'd like to see taken into account more is the fielders relative ranges. I don't know how much this is taken into account currently, but having Valbuena/Correa/Altuve all between 2B and 3B would seem to cause more overlap between Altuve and Correa than reasonably necessary to meet the impetus of the shift... My $0.02 anyway...
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 06:55:46 pm »
It occurs to me that there's always been big shifts in the infield, but they're in and out, not left and right.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Aussie Astro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 07:16:56 pm »

Forgotten in all our hand-wringing over the change of fate in the 6th and 7th is the offense's going stagnant with Cueto on the ropes. Had Correa's liner to right been fair....

Ifs and buts galore

If you adopt the shift on account of the metrics, I think you have to go all in.  If you abandon the shift because of circumstances, does that mean you don't really believe the metrics?  If you go for the shift and it  doesn't work, you can always justify what you have done by the numbers, don't shift when you would normally but allow  the circumstances to influence your decision you have a better chance of looking like a dill.  Sydney or the bush...
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 07:31:46 pm »
If you adopt the shift on account of the metrics, I think you have to go all in.  If you abandon the shift because of circumstances, does that mean you don't really believe the metrics?  If you go for the shift and it  doesn't work, you can always justify what you have done by the numbers, don't shift when you would normally but allow  the circumstances to influence your decision you have a better chance of looking like a dill.  Sydney or the bush...

Thinking more about shifts in, or shifts out,  you use them when? To reduce the chance of a runner at third when the.games on the line, or at the corners if a bunt's likely. Do you shift out to increase the likelihood of a double play?  Odd that I don't know. I guess the difference from lateral shifts is that they're based on a batters probabilities. I'd guess they help a pitcher like Keuchel's the most, where control is such a big part of the game.  Either way, sometimes you get beat.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:46:15 pm »

You have to remember that traditional defensive positioning is based on "metrics" too.  I don't think it'd be accurate to say you've abandoned the metric-driven approach if it's situationally dependent.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 04:37:23 am »
Thinking more about shifts in, or shifts out,  you use them when? To reduce the chance of a runner at third when the.games on the line, or at the corners if a bunt's likely. Do you shift out to increase the likelihood of a double play?  Odd that I don't know. I guess the difference from lateral shifts is that they're based on a batters probabilities. I'd guess they help a pitcher like Keuchel's the most, where control is such a big part of the game.  Either way, sometimes you get beat.

You are right about that, it wont work all the time.  If you shift and get the result you want you are a genius, if not...
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 04:52:49 am »
You have to remember that traditional defensive positioning is based on "metrics" too.  I don't think it'd be accurate to say you've abandoned the metric-driven approach if it's situationally dependent.

Ok, I take your point.  I have never really been a student of the game and when it comes to the shift, well sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.  If the formula says that a guy hits left or right against a certain type of pitching and we would 'normally' shift, does that change because a DP is in order and/or we need it real bad?  Are the metrics that advanced?  For me, it is more about sticking with what works, if I used a tactic for 162 games and had decent results, I am not should I would change from what has worked.  Has the shift worked for us this year?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 07:16:50 am »
Ok, I take your point.  I have never really been a student of the game and when it comes to the shift, well sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.  If the formula says that a guy hits left or right against a certain type of pitching and we would 'normally' shift, does that change because a DP is in order and/or we need it real bad?  Are the metrics that advanced?  For me, it is more about sticking with what works, if I used a tactic for 162 games and had decent results, I am not should I would change from what has worked.  Has the shift worked for us this year?

That is the question, and I suppose they will have stats to determine it. Mark and I disagreed on this point yesterday, but I absolutely hate leaving an entire side of the infield open when we desperately need a DP. Ground balls will always find holes, but this is a chasm.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:27:27 am by JimR »

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 07:25:15 am »
That is the question, and I suppose they will have stats to determine it. Mark and I disagreed on this point yesterday, but I absolutely hate leaving an entire side of the infield open when we desperately need a DP. Ground era will always find holes, but this is a chasm.

It just looks completely wrong, like you've left an entire city undefended and the tartars are coming.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 07:28:03 am »
It just looks completely wrong, like you've left an entire city undefended and the tartars are coming.

Totally agree.

WakePhil

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 08:49:08 am »
I would have to imagine they have considered the value of each potential out, but that's a really good question. I can see both sides. Would be interesting to see how the Astros evaluated.

believin

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 09:19:27 am »

Wait, does this mean it's fish and chips this week instead of Frito pie?
I'm confused.