Author Topic: 50 Best Tacos in America  (Read 3766 times)

Noe

50 Best Tacos in America
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:09:04 am »
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-50-best-tacos-in-america-2015-9

According to Foursquare that is. Do I have a problem with their #1? No, Taco Deli is fantastic and if you were to look into the kitchen, you'd see little Mexican women cooking away making the authentic tacos for you. Do I have a problem with their #2? Yes, in a way. I think Torchy's Tacos is highly overrated and somewhat of a "must be seen and eat here" kinda place. Their tacos are pedestrian at best, I've had better at local dives. But Torchy's is chic and trendy and that describes Austin pretty much, when it comes to the Hipster community (of which there are many around here).

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: 50 Best Tacos in America
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 10:18:30 am »
High probability of me going to #31 for lunch today.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:24:58 am »
I've never been to either of the Houston places, but could think of a couple of places not on the list that should be.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 11:06:15 am »
I've never been to either of the Houston places, but could think of a couple of places not on the list that should be.

#7 is the truck that posts up outside West Alabama Ice House.

Velvet Taco is...Washington Ave. Torchys.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:11:24 am »
#7 is the truck that posts up outside West Alabama Ice House.

Velvet Taco is...Washington Ave. Torchys.

There is a Torchy's at Westheimer and Shepherd and another location in Rice Village.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:17:16 am »
There is a Torchy's at Westheimer and Shepherd and another location in Rice Village.

Were there any San Antoinio puffy tacos on that list?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 11:18:00 am »
Were there any San Antoinio puffy tacos on that list?

I saw no SA eateries on that list.  Then again, to me a taco in SA is not fancy like these.  But, I do think a puffy taco would be good right now.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 11:20:38 am »
I saw no SA eateries on that list.  Then again, to me a taco in SA is not fancy like these.  But, I do think a puffy taco would be good right now.

I don't know how you could have a list of taco places and have not a single place in San Antonio.  That's just wrong.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 11:31:32 am »
I don't know how you could have a list of taco places and have not a single place in San Antonio.  That's just wrong.

Some of those tacos seemed kind of healthy.  I don't think healthy and SA tacos go together.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 11:35:48 am »
There was a taco from Wisconsin on this list.

Wis.

Con.

Sin.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 11:48:50 am »
i can see the sin in that.  get a rope
forever is composed entirely of nows

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 11:50:51 am »

Wis.

Con.

Sin.

An Irish Pub in Wisconsin, no less.  They then show a picture of a burrito.  This alone completely invalidates this list.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 11:55:15 am »
An Irish Pub in Wisconsin, no less.  They then show a picture of a burrito.  This alone completely invalidates this list.

My first glance at that burrito made me think of Taco Bell.
Goin' for a bus ride.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 12:04:31 pm »
My first glance at that burrito made me think of Taco Bell.

With yellow cheddar cheese.  And I like cheddar cheese.  I'm not a cheese snob.  But it has no place on a taco. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 01:17:12 pm »

Wis.

Con.

Sin.

And Dallas.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 01:22:57 pm »
I think Torchy's Tacos is highly overrated and somewhat of a "must be seen and eat here" kinda place. Their tacos are pedestrian at best, I've had better at local dives. But Torchy's is chic and trendy and that describes Austin pretty much, when it comes to the Hipster community (of which there are many around here).

Any "taco" place that can't be bothered to make their own tortillas isn't worthy of any Texan's time. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »
Tacos al gringo (Torchy's) are a different category of food and really don't belong in a taco list. Delicious in their own right, but not the same thing.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 03:48:51 pm »
There's a very large Mexican poulation in Milwaukee so I am quite sure that you can find good tacos there. I would probably not begin my search in an Irish bar.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Noe

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 04:10:09 pm »
Any "taco" place that can't be bothered to make their own tortillas isn't worthy of any Texan's time.

This!

Noe

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 04:37:09 pm »

I had a Puffy Taco at La Hacienda (they had the "Bobby Flay Throw Down" challenge there). It was, at best, average. Must have been something wrong that day though, my taco was too mushy and when I had to resort to using a knife and fork, game over.

A couple of places I've had killer tacos:

1. San Diego street vendor - I was taken there by a local who I was contracting for a long time ago. I was helping build a template so they can mass produce software applications quicker. The main taco was a Fish Taco, which I balked at first, but then relented and tried it. The masa on the taco reminded me more of a "gordita" in texture, but it worked. The fish batter was outstanding and of course the fish was very fresh. They had a sauce on the fish that was first rate and the cold slaw just added that extra zest to the whole bite... best Fish Taco I've ever eaten. That was nearly 20 years ago and any attempts by me to find Fish Tacos to match this experience has been in vain. At least I have the memories, major props to San Diego street vendor dude... best taco ever!

2. El Mode (pronounced "Mo Deh") - I got so use to tacos off the grill while living near the Sierra Madre range of mountains in Nuevo Leon Mexico. I had a friend whose family owned a butcher shop and a small ranch in "La Quasteca" (a valley in the Sierra Madres). Every Friday he would invite a bunch of us to come eat and drink and hang out. We had fresh corn tortilla from the Tortilleria, fresh produce (mostly onions, chiles, tomatoes to make our own pico de gallo, avacados, and cilantros). The star of the show what the meat that Hugo brought from his shop. Wow, outstanding tacos on the fly. But then one day, someone invited me to go eat at El Mode in nearby Garza Garcia Nuevo Leon. WOW! A full plate of Tacos El Mode (six tacos) that actually were better than what we could make ourselves out in the range. I've never have had a taco better than those. Ever!

3. Original Ninfas - I used to love the Tacos Al Carbon at the original Ninfas. My cousin worked there and would occasionally invite us to go eat late, sometime around closing time when the cooks would feed the workers for free. We'd stroll in and they'd serve us as well (we paid though). I didn't have a really good grasp of why flour tortillas... wasn't my idea of good tacos. But for this fair, it worked. Somewhere along the way, Ninfa's lost it's way on it's Tacos Al Carbon. Never been the same again.

4. Arandas Tacos - When they first started, the Arandas Taqueria on Shepherd had outstanding fajita tacos. They were close to what I used to have at El Mode. Recently, I went to an Arandas Taqueria and it too has lost it's way. Too bad.

5. The Original Donerakis (on Irvington) - Man oh man... any place that converts a former gas station (blown up during the Moody Riots) into a Taco heaven gets my props. It used to be easy to get in until someone let the word out about this place and then it was a wait in line type of place to eat. All their taco offerings were great and it was, at one time, the best tacos I had tasted. They also had a sister restaurant named Don Juans on 76th Street near the Ship Channel docks. Don Juans was a locals place and served the same food as the original Doneraki. Then something happened and they no longer served the same food at Don Juans, the original Donerakis started to go down hill while they also built a larger place on Westheimer then on I-45. It was bad.

So I haven't been back in Houston in a while to try some places out. My family has some recommendations and of course my brother-in-law has his food truck still and makes killer tortas and tacos. That notwithstanding, it takes a lot to convince me of a taco high place of honor and while I really like Taco Deli, if you factor in some places I've been before, it may not make the top five (top ten? Yes, I think so)

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 05:21:45 pm »
For traditional tacos in Houston, Villa Arcos.  The tacos I eat most often are the Cuban tacos from El Rey.  What can I say? I'm a sucker for plantains and black beans, and El Rey is my favorite fast food.  Yesterday I had the taco plate at El Big Bad.  It wasn't cheap, but it was very good, and I could swear Mike Fiers was at the table next to me.  Or maybe not.  i think Fiers has tattoos, and this guy didn't.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 06:10:35 pm »
The tacos at Laredo, any Laredo really, I know of three, are the best I know of in Houston. I used to go to Don Juan back in the 80's. As Noe says, it has now lost its way.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 06:53:08 pm »
I love TacoDeli and think they build really good stuff, but it's kind of hard to imagine that they're the best in the US. But Torchy's at #2 must be some sort of test to see if anybody is paying attention.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 01:54:15 pm »
For traditional tacos in Houston, Villa Arcos.  The tacos I eat most often are the Cuban tacos from El Rey.  What can I say? I'm a sucker for plantains and black beans, and El Rey is my favorite fast food. 

Cue Hudson's "there's no such thing as a Cuban taco."
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 03:06:54 pm »

You know how I know you're a troll?...

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 03:24:57 pm »

But are there Vietnamese fajitas?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 05:20:53 pm »
tacos are not just hole in the wall cheap eats anymore  they are designer and can be expernsive
forever is composed entirely of nows

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 07:50:47 pm »

No doubt about it.  That doesn't mean that El Rey isn't a Cuban place, along with Treebeards has the best quick eats in Houston, and sells tacos.  And I eat them all the time.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 10:30:46 am »
I love TacoDeli and think they build really good stuff, but it's kind of hard to imagine that they're the best in the US. But Torchy's at #2 must be some sort of test to see if anybody is paying attention.

Yes, including Torchy's is insane. They're overpriced white people tacos and I am pretty sure they don't make their tortillas fresh either.