Author Topic: Hard Knocks  (Read 3478 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Hard Knocks
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:43 am »
That was entertaining and enlightening.  I've never been formally coached like that, so I have no idea what it's like (or whether this was any different to any other).  I thought the Texans' coaching staff were pragmatic, realistic and funny.  The players' are funnier.  Hopkins is a great talent and a showboat.  Watt is a great talent, a showboat, a hard worker and seemingly very aware of his good fortune.

I hate the Redskins now.

Great closing line:  "Let's get the fuck out of Richmond."

Can't wait until next week.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Knocks
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 08:57:54 am »
I thought it was the most mind-numbingly boring show I've ever watched (and I'm a fan of Antiques Roadshow).  It's an hour out of my life I can't get back.  I won't make that mistake again. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Andyzipp

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 03:26:14 pm »
I thought it was the most mind-numbingly boring show I've ever watched (and I'm a fan of Antiques Roadshow).  It's an hour out of my life I can't get back.  I won't make that mistake again. 

Have you watched any of the previous seasons?  They were pretty much following the format they usually follow.  About the only difference was the focus on Watt versus rookies (which is usually how they start the seasons).

I find it entertaining, but that and 5 bucks...

Andyzipp

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 03:27:47 pm »
That was entertaining and enlightening.  I've never been formally coached like that, so I have no idea what it's like (or whether this was any different to any other).  I thought the Texans' coaching staff were pragmatic, realistic and funny.  The players' are funnier.  Hopkins is a great talent and a showboat.  Watt is a great talent, a showboat, a hard worker and seemingly very aware of his good fortune.

I hate the Redskins now.

Great closing line:  "Let's get the fuck out of Richmond."

Can't wait until next week.

And every football coach ever talks like O'Brien.  I was more impressed with Vrabel's ability to cluster f-bombs in a single sentence.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 03:58:10 pm »
Have you watched any of the previous seasons?  They were pretty much following the format they usually follow.  About the only difference was the focus on Watt versus rookies (which is usually how they start the seasons).

I find it entertaining, but that and 5 bucks...

No, I've never watched a previous episode. I watched because it was the Texans, but found no interest whatsoever. I can't imagine I'd manufacture any for a team I don't follow.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:37:14 pm »
And every football coach ever talks like O'Brien.  I was more impressed with Vrabel's ability to cluster f-bombs in a single sentence.

The suggestion to throw marshmallows next time was pretty funny too.  There were a ton of zingers that cracked me up during the show.  Also, Ben Jones' story about puking on the ball.

Plus, to my eyes - and Mrs Limey's far more discerning eyes - Kevin Johnson looks very good.  As does his sister.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:38:46 pm by Limey »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

WakePhil

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 08:51:26 am »
Maybe I got my hopes up too high, because I typically like Hard Knocks pretty well. I found it to be somewhat boring as well.

I think J.J. fatigue might start setting in pretty quick. My favorite part of the show was when O'Brien used an example of J.J. to demonstrate what he wants to see in practice, but apologized for using it, "Look, I know its J.J, but..." Even he understands that the level of effort is unsustainable for nearly everyone and its annoying to use him as an example.

Foster looked pretty solid before the injury. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Abdul's training regimen. Editing bay did him no favors.

Andyzipp

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 02:48:30 pm »
There is also the distinct possibility that the Texans are a boring team/franchise/organization.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 03:22:41 pm »
There is also the distinct possibility that the Texans are a boring team/franchise/organization.

I don't know...Dan LaBatard was on the Dan Patrick Show slamming Watt for being a gloss hound and for his faux hustle.  According to LaBatard, Watt is his own media creation, not getting the press on his own merit, unlike say Derek Jeter did. 

Andyzipp

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 05:12:09 pm »
I don't know...Dan LaBatard was on the Dan Patrick Show slamming Watt for being a gloss hound and for his faux hustle.  According to LaBatard, Watt is his own media creation, not getting the press on his own merit, unlike say Derek Jeter did. 

It would be easier to take him LaBatard seriously if he didn't use the Jeter example, who got a lot of the press he did for being on great Yankees' teams.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 05:26:04 pm »
It would be easier to take him LaBatard seriously if he didn't use the Jeter example, who got a lot of the press he did for being on great Yankees' teams.

He kept hammering that we think Watt is great and a hard worker because he keeps telling the media he is. The truly great hard workers don't have to tell anyone, we just know it. They're never pumped up by the media. Like Jeter never was.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 05:51:54 pm »
He kept hammering that we think Watt is great and a hard worker because he keeps telling the media he is. The truly great hard workers don't have to tell anyone, we just know it. They're never pumped up by the media. Like Jeter never was.

Who's Jeter?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 05:57:51 pm »
Who's Jeter?

Exactly.  He's like a hipster band...so good no one has ever heard of them. 

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 07:25:57 pm »
Who's Jeter?

According to this youtube poster, one of the best actors of all time.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 07:38:33 pm »

I knew that that Cuban cocksucker had let a bunch of idiots take over his Hall of Fame ballot. I hadn't realized he'd also let them take over his brain.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 07:58:28 pm »
It would be easier to take [him] LaBatard seriously ,,,
This is when you reevaluate things.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 10:52:28 am »
Back to the show, I'm still enjoying it.  Maybe it's the editing, but O'Brien seems to be walking a very solid path between being a disciplinarian and being lighthearted.  There are still multiple crack-up lines every episode.  Watt is the least interesting player on the team; Charles James should stay on the roster if only for entertainment value.

Also, Mallett is a whiny bitch and would be the #3 QB (and traded/cut if another QB comes available) if I was in charge.  Skipping practice the day after getting told he wasn't the starting QB - on a team that started 4 QBs last year - was a bitch move.  He's 27, btw, a point that O'Brien made when he was told that someone was on the way to Mallett's home to find him once he failed to show and failed to answer any calls; O'Brien told them to turn (the fuck) around. 

That was bad.  Coming in the next day, and blaming the whole thing on forgetting to set an alarm and a dysfunctional phone, was worse.  Oh, and his dog ate his playbook too.  Skipping practice showed a lack of commitment; not taking responsibility for it shows a distinct lack of maturity.  How can you lead the team in the heat of an NFL game when they see you behave like a spoiled baby?

Also, Savage has looked a more composed and effective QB anyway.

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 01:10:25 pm »
Back to the show, I'm still enjoying it.  Maybe it's the editing, but O'Brien seems to be walking a very solid path between being a disciplinarian and being lighthearted.  There are still multiple crack-up lines every episode.  Watt is the least interesting player on the team; Charles James should stay on the roster if only for entertainment value.

Also, Mallett is a whiny bitch and would be the #3 QB (and traded/cut if another QB comes available) if I was in charge.  Skipping practice the day after getting told he wasn't the starting QB - on a team that started 4 QBs last year - was a bitch move.  He's 27, btw, a point that O'Brien made when he was told that someone was on the way to Mallett's home to find him once he failed to show and failed to answer any calls; O'Brien told them to turn (the fuck) around. 

That was bad.  Coming in the next day, and blaming the whole thing on forgetting to set an alarm and a dysfunctional phone, was worse.  Oh, and his dog ate his playbook too.  Skipping practice showed a lack of commitment; not taking responsibility for it shows a distinct lack of maturity.  How can you lead the team in the heat of an NFL game when they see you behave like a spoiled baby?

Also, Savage has looked a more composed and effective QB anyway.

I can't say I'm too excited about this season, but I've enjoyed Hard Knocks and it has made me a BOB fan.  He has the right balance for a head coach that I want to root for (somewhere in between Kubiak and a Harbaugh). 

Charles James is hilarious and looks like he can be an actual contributor on both sides of the ball.

Cushing is exactly what I want out of a middle linebacker.