Author Topic: this team  (Read 1979 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
this team
« on: July 25, 2015, 07:21:43 am »
I know there will be some more valleys down the road, but I cannot stop from smiling when I think about this season or anticipate watching the next game. Luhnow's construction of the roster is little short of genius, and I eagerly wait for what is next, both before the deadline and when Lowrie returns. The last few years were unpleasant, but the FO had a plan and stuck with it despite slings and arrows and catcalls. How do you like us now?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
Re: this team
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:31:50 am »
I think this team has expectations they have put on themselves and don't know how not to meet them.  I know I didn't have the  expectation of them fighting to win the division.  But damm, those boys are something special. 
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:16:51 am »
I wonder if it is a dream.

Hinch, Hillman and Strom must get a lot of credit. Plus I like Pettis' super aggressive approach at third. It doesn't always work out, but it sets the tone for the team and pressures the opposition.

The Keuchel/Valbuena performance against Texas earlier this week may provide a good look at the team' s makeup.
E come vivo? Vivo.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 08:22:36 am »
+ 1,000,000

If find myself re-arranging my schedule so I can watch the next game.  It's been a while since I've felt that way. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 09:16:27 am »
+ 1,000,000

If find myself re-arranging my schedule so I can watch the next game.  It's been a while since I've felt that way.

Me too.  I drove an hour and  half yesterday just to be able to watch the game on the tube yesterday with someone (Houston) that actually understood the importance of the game.

MMPUS is filling fast too, it appears.  I like the impact that will have on payroll down the road.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 09:44:35 am »
What's startling is the age of this team. Is any position player 30?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 09:54:57 am »
I love this team, they really are a joy to watch. Like HH I find myself rearranging my schedule to watch them. Not only is their play fun to watch but they seem to really be a tight not group and love to play together. Pretty much every player on this team has done something positive to help win a few ball games. Even the guys I've been most critical about like Conger and valbuena have had some big moments. What keuchel and valbuena did against the Rangers was just spectacular. I never enjoyed a bat flip so much as the two that valbuena did that day.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 09:56:44 am »
I don't think so, lowrie maybe? I know valbuena is getting close. But really outside of the bullpen, only kazmir and Feldman are over 30.

believin

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 10:23:18 am »
I'm really glad to read this thread. I was afraid I was just being naive.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 11:31:47 am »
I would echo everything said here.  The Kazmir trade was something of a symbolic turning for the fans who have followed the team through the slash and burn overhaul of the franchise, and, most importantly, it seems to be a shrewd move. 

The ultimate outcome of the season is obviously uncertain, but the journey will be fun.  Altuve, Correa, Keuchel, and Springer are guys that make watching baseball an exciting pleasure and portend a bright future for the org, and Luhnow has done a great job surrounding them with complementary pieces.  Perhaps most surprising to me has been how it seems that such a young team has created a really positive clubhouse culture imbued with confidence and moxy--really nice to see them bust out of the 2nd half gate after waning into the break.  There have been some ups and downs, as there are in any baseball season, but this team seems to bring it against the class of the AL.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 11:36:13 am »

Lowrie is 31 and Valbuena will be 30 this winter. But this is a young team.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 11:55:55 am »
I couldn't agree more. A tip of the cap to Luhnow& Co.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 12:00:17 pm »
I was surprised to learn that Marwin is only 26. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 01:45:25 pm »
smiles all around
forever is composed entirely of nows

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 03:55:25 pm »
This team, don't carry no losers, this team.
This team , don't carry no losers, this team.
This team, don't carry no losers,
no sad sackers or basepath snoozers
This team, don't carry no losers, this team.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 06:39:25 pm »
One thing I think is important is that the young guns all played on teams that won in the minors.  They learned to win there.  If I remember correctly, that was something they wanted the organization to have was a winning attitude.  Seems they may have gotten it.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 07:46:10 pm »
This team sucks.  I give up.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 08:57:13 pm »
This team sucks.  I give up.

How was dinner?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy