Author Topic: MLB Expansion  (Read 8163 times)

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
MLB Expansion
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:33:06 pm »
With Manfred talking openly about expansion for the MLB or relocation of teams (Oakland), would you support another league switch for the Astros?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: MLB Expansion
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:51:23 pm »
As long as it is to the National League. I don't have any attachments to the current one.

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 06:04:56 pm »
I would just be annoyed/sick of getting tossed around by MLB more than anything.  Despite the history of the NL, I'm over the move and accepting of the AL.  The thing that pissed me off all along was Bud just doing whatever the fuck he wanted with Drayton's team.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 06:07:59 pm »
My name is Reek now.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 06:28:31 pm »
If they actually expand, I suspect it will include a lot of League changes.  As long as we're still in the same league as Seattle I don't really care.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 06:30:00 pm »
Yeah, fuck the sea hags.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 07:36:03 pm »
need popeye on the astros then
forever is composed entirely of nows

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:41:36 pm »
Fuck Arizona, fuck Colorado, fuck Milwaukee, fuck the whole state of Florida.

Yes, I would be cool with realignment.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 10:24:39 pm »
HELL YES.

Do I think it will happen? No.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 07:21:18 am »
I would take a return to the NL in a heartbeat.

I've always enjoyed the All Star Game, but even last night -- how many years in? -- I couldn't get over how weird it was to be rooting for the AL. They mentioned Joe Panik getting ready to come in at some point, and I thought "Okay, Altuve's done. Wait..." I'm not sure I'll ever get used to this.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 07:50:52 am »
i know still familiar with more of the nl players than al.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 08:24:53 am »
Depends for me.  If we're in an NL division with the likes of Colorado, San Diego, Arizona, Milwaukee then I don't really give a shit.  If we're rejoining some of the old NL central foes (or even old NL west foes),  then I would welcome the return.  My guess is that the DH will be used in both leagues after the next big realignment, so division rivals would be my key determinant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jester9450

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 10:18:36 am »
Nope don't want to move again this team is not a ping pong ball.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 10:24:43 am »
Depends for me.  If we're in an NL division with the likes of Colorado, San Diego, Arizona, Milwaukee then I don't really give a shit.  If we're rejoining some of the old NL central foes (or even old NL west foes),  then I would welcome the return.  My guess is that the DH will be used in both leagues after the next big realignment, so division rivals would be my key determinant.

Yeah, I would expect the DH in both leagues, and also a balanced schedule.  At that point, it really doesn't matter what division you are in. 

All in all, I'm for anything the results in fewer west coast games.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 10:25:58 am »
I'd be happy for the team to move back to the NL.  Does anyone at all think that's a possibility with expansion?

I also don't think expansion is a particularly good idea.  Dilution of talent becomes an issue eventually although the massive influx of foreign players will likely mitigate that.

I'd love to see a team in Mexico City (and maybe eventually Havana) but would prefer to move teams from places with poor fan bases.  Just my $0.02.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 10:57:55 am »
montreal with a new stadium would have to top the list

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 12:08:10 pm »
Geographically speaking, I agree. 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 03:25:22 pm »
I always figured it was Portland and San Antonio.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:14 pm »
AUSTIN

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 03:45:19 pm »

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 04:01:59 pm »
4-team divisions like the NFL are affront to human decency and I hope they don't do that.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »
2, 16 team leagues.  2 divisions in each league.  Division winners and 2 wildcards in each league.   No interleague play.  Both leagues either adopt the DH or it gets dropped.  New teams, Montreal and Charlotte
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 05:10:34 pm »
2, 16 team leagues.  2 divisions in each league.  Division winners and 2 wildcards in each league.   No interleague play.  Both leagues either adopt the DH or it gets dropped.  New teams, Montreal and Charlotte

1.  Not nearly enough playoff games.  You're as likely to see 8 divisions.
2.  They will never do away with interleague play.
3.  Everybody ends up with the DH.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 05:26:20 pm »
1.  Not nearly enough playoff games.  You're as likely to see 8 divisions.
2.  They will never do away with interleague play.
3.  Everybody ends up with the DH.

#1 Was more of what I'd like to see, than what I expect.  I would hate 4 team divisions and no wild card, as you could easily end up with 2 90+ win teams not making the playoffs in favor of a sub 500 division winner

Agree with you on 2 and 3.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

TenThirty

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 05:47:37 pm »
As a Charlotte guy, I'd love Navins idea but this city isn't ready to support an MLB team. Plus, then I'd have to drop Astros and I'd rather not.

Yay.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 06:11:12 pm »
Is there anyone out there capable?  I picked Charlotte since they have other major sports and their AAA is near the top of the league in attendance.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 06:23:39 pm »
Actually trying to put pen to paper and work out what four divisions of four teams each would look like, the only way I see Houston moving back to the NL is if Portland is awarded a team over Charlotte (assuming Montreal gets the other) and the Astros are grouped together with the Braves, Marlins and Rays. 
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 07:43:47 pm »
Nope don't want to move again this team is not a ping pong ball.
Channeling Bud again are we?
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 07:44:53 pm »
Yeah, I would expect the DH in both leagues, and also a balanced schedule.  At that point, it really doesn't matter what division you are in. 

All in all, I'm for anything the results in fewer west coast games.
I hope they do NOT go with a balanced schedule ... division races have to mean something.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 07:46:22 pm »
I'd love to see a team in Mexico City (and maybe eventually Havana) but would prefer to move teams from places with poor fan bases.  Just my $0.02.
I really hope Havana sooner than later.  Brings back the old 50's International League, and it is a great baseball town country.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 07:48:06 pm »
You have my wish list there for sure, but I am hoping for Havana or Mexico City in the mix.  And NOT another team in Texas.
Up in the Air

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 07:57:23 pm »
You have my wish list there for sure, but I am hoping for Havana or Mexico City in the mix.  And NOT another team in Texas.

Mexico City is 2000' higher than Denver. You'd have to put the fences so far back that you'd have to add two rovers to the outfield.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 08:30:08 pm »
YES

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 10:50:45 pm »
Mexico City is 2000' higher than Denver. You'd have to put the fences so far back that you'd have to add two rovers to the outfield.

Plus the outfielders couldn't see the ball for the smog.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 11:01:44 pm »
"Manfred named Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Mexico City, Portland, Las Vegas, Montreal and San Antonio as possible sites for future baseball expansion."

From some newspaper in Charlotte.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 08:03:03 am »
"Manfred named Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Mexico City, Portland, Las Vegas, Montreal and San Antonio as possible sites for future baseball expansion."

From some newspaper in Charlotte.

I wonder what the players union would want in return for their players having to play/live in Mexico City?  Las Vegas would be great, assuming it is a domed stadium.   What about New Orleans, although I doubt they have the folks to support 3 pro teams.   Maybe send the Pelicans to Las Vegas and NO can have baseball.  I just want a team there for awesome road trips to watch the Astros play.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 08:05:20 am »
I wonder what the players union would want in return for their players having to play/live in Mexico City?  Las Vegas would be great, assuming it is a domed stadium.   What about New Orleans, although I doubt they have the folks to support 3 pro teams.   Maybe send the Pelicans to Las Vegas and NO can have baseball.  I just want a team there for awesome road trips to watch the Astros play.

New Orleans doesn't have the corporate or large enough fan base to support big league baseball.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 08:05:46 am »
Having never been to Cuba or Havana, do they have the infrastructure to support a team?  I think it would be incredible to have a team there, they are baseball crazy.  I can only imagine the atmosphere for a real MLB game in Cuba .  A playoff or WS game there would be absolutely bonkers.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 08:16:16 am »
Having never been to Cuba or Havana, do they have the infrastructure to support a team?  I think it would be incredible to have a team there, they are baseball crazy.  I can only imagine the atmosphere for a real MLB game in Cuba .  A playoff or WS game there would be absolutely bonkers.
We had discussed this in the GZ once.  I think Chuck pointed out that the folks there might have a ton of passion, but not a lot of funds.  It does require a fanbase with enough free cash. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 09:22:34 am »

My parents recently took a trip to Cuba with a bunch of Fulbright scholars.  I asked that exact question and the answer is a resounding no. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 09:55:25 am »
We had discussed this in the GZ once.  I think Chuck pointed out that the folks there might have a ton of passion, but not a lot of funds.  It does require a fanbase with enough free cash.

If you consider the issues Happy pointed out about N.O. they would be magnified 10x in Cuber.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 12:30:19 pm »
I really don't like the idea of expansion - in the sense of expanding the number of teams above 30.  There are other ways MLB as a business can grow rather than just open new franchises.  I would invest more in the international brand of MLB.  Europe is still relatively an untapped revenue base of fans.  Look at what the EPL has done by stretching its reach to the US.

If I were MLB I would work to improve the World Baseball Classic and focus on building the game in Europe/Australia.  Assuming progress is made, you can work on developing international academies, tournaments, and leagues over there to make the game more global. 

Keep Montreal, Charlotte, Portland, etc. vacant so that there are always options on the table when it comes to relocation.  30 teams with 8-10 playoff teams is perfect.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 12:34:13 pm »
so no nba model of playoff? finish one week before pitchers and catchers report

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 12:54:50 pm »
Santo Domingo would be by far the best Latin American choice. But again, the number of people able to shell out $8k for a pair of season tickets is limited.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 04:49:22 pm »
The number of people able to shell out $8 for a pair of season tickets is limited.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2016, 01:03:43 pm »
With Manfred continuing to make favorable noises about expansion, Morosi consults with the experts* and ranks the cities he'd most like to visit as a reporter top expansion possibilities:

1. Montreal
2. Austin
3. Vancouver
4. Mexico City (or other Latin American city)

*said experts being "people in the baseball industry and three eminent sports business experts — Joe Favorito, sports marketing consultant and professor at Columbia University; Marc Ganis, president of Chicago-based Sportscorp Limited; and Dr. Andrew Zimbalist, renowned economist at Smith College".
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:06:19 pm by Nate Colbert »

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »
would be amazing to have baseball other than the freaking stranger aaa ball

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2016, 10:05:11 am »
With Manfred continuing to make favorable noises about expansion, Morosi consults with the experts* and ranks the cities he'd most like to visit as a reporter top expansion possibilities:

1. Montreal
2. Austin
3. Vancouver
4. Mexico City (or other Latin American

I would sure like to see baseball return to Havana. Maybe a return to the International League if they don't get an MLB franchise.
Up in the Air

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2016, 12:41:03 pm »
Regardless of whether they expand or realign, the designated hitter, interleague play and the wild card aren't going away. Those all mean money to the owners. The players association also likes the designated hitter, because it adds another starting player's salary for each team. The logistical issue they'll have to grapple with, besides the economics of expansion, is how to maximize the number of playoff teams without pushing the season any later.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2016, 02:00:42 pm »
I just hope MLB switches to 8-team divisions when the time comes to expand. 4-team divisions would be a disaster.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2016, 07:11:22 pm »
I just hope MLB switches to 8-team divisions when the time comes to expand. 4-team divisions would be a disaster.

Not a fan of expansion for several reasons but this is the biggest.  I feel like it would come with a 154-game schedule, and expanded playoffs a la NFL/NBA.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2016, 07:18:13 pm »
presenting the world series Christmas day final special