Author Topic: is everyone ok from the flooding, tornadoes and such  (Read 3641 times)

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
is everyone ok from the flooding, tornadoes and such
« on: May 25, 2015, 06:49:49 pm »
live in the arboretum area and water came up to door then rolled down the canyon . damages? everyone safe?
forever is composed entirely of nows

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Re: is everyone ok from the flooding, tornadoes and such
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:20:03 am »
Next round this morning means business. 3 inches of rain has fallen in that band just to the north that is heading into the metroplex. Take care, all.

Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:39:46 am »
It is really bad right now in my area of Spring, north of Houston.  Hopefully it'll be over in  a few hours.  Everyone stay safe.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:37:34 am »
That is cool.  Very impressive for a county.  The LCRA has one for the Colorado River watershed, but it doesn't have the stream elevations for the various frequency floods like this one does, as far as I can tell.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:54:58 am »
That is cool.  Very impressive for a county.  The LCRA has one for the Colorado River watershed, but it doesn't have the stream elevations for the various frequency floods like this one does, as far as I can tell.

The USGS has real time and historical discharge and stream gauge data.  For example:

The Blanco River at Wimberly  Normally about 5 feet in height, but over 40 on Sunday/Monday.  That's 30 ft over what's considered "flood stage".

The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 11:49:13 am »
We are currently in an apartment down at Braeswood and Kirby.  Brays Bayou was all up in everyone's business yesterday, and I saw flooded out cars as far north as University Blvd.  Looks like folks down stream at Riverside Terrace (ironically where we are looking to buy / build) got it worse than us.  At least we're on the 4th floor so all our shit stayed dry - except for my feet when I found out the hard way that my newish Wolverine water boots aren't waterproof (#fwp).  It wasn't until later in the day that we could get out of our place by car.

Pretty impressed, as usual, with this city's ability to handle shit.  Even though Mayor Parker has been less than impressive in front of the cameras (odd for someone who seems to spend most of her time there), the response of city services was outstanding.  Gov. Abbott and Ted Cruz showing up yesterday was an unnecessary distraction, and more than embarrassing (like when Abbott likened the storms to a tsunami).  I turned away before Cruz opened his mewling pie hole.  We've got this shit, gents, go to Wimberly where the devastation is worse, more deadly and thus a far better photo op.  You're just getting in the way down here.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 12:04:58 pm »
My in-laws are about five blocks north of Brays Bayou, and got four inches throughout the house.  Had lots of fun last night moving water-logged sleeper sofas to the street.  Sucks that, for all the money invested after Allison and Ike, Brays still does this.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 12:26:02 pm »
Pretty impressed, as usual, with this city's ability to handle shit.  Even though Mayor Parker has been less than impressive in front of the cameras (odd for someone who seems to spend most of her time there), the response of city services was outstanding.  Gov. Abbott and Ted Cruz showing up yesterday was an unnecessary distraction, and more than embarrassing (like when Abbott likened the storms to a tsunami).  I turned away before Cruz opened his mewling pie hole.  We've got this shit, gents, go to Wimberly where the devastation is worse, more deadly and thus a far better photo op.  You're just getting in the way down here.

I'm not a particular fan of either Abbot or Cruz, but they are the governor and senator, respectively.  I think they have a place in situations like this.

Glad you are OK. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 12:49:28 pm »
My in-laws are about five blocks north of Brays Bayou, and got four inches throughout the house.  Had lots of fun last night moving water-logged sleeper sofas to the street.  Sucks that, for all the money invested after Allison and Ike, Brays still does this.

I think if they hadn't done the work on Brays, then your in-laws may have got more than 4 inches last night...
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 12:51:02 pm »
I'm not a particular fan of either Abbot or Cruz, but they are the governor and senator, respectively.  I think they have a place in situations like this.

In front of a camera?  It's notable that they picked the biggest media market, rather than the biggest / deadliest devastation.

Glad you are OK.

Thanks!  Likewise from the Limeys to all here.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 01:44:00 pm »
In front of a camera?  It's notable that they picked the biggest media market, rather than the biggest / deadliest devastation.

Not sure about Cruz, but Abbott toured the hill country, Wimberly in particular, earlier in the day.  I don't think being in Houston was simply a photo op.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 03:01:29 pm »

We live in the Meyerland/Westbury area which saw flooding in the blocks around Brays Bayou as well as the Willow Waterhole Bayou and have family living on S. Braeswood where the flooding was bad enough to overcome their cars in their garage.  My heart goes out to all our neighbors we saw hauling out their waterlogged belongings. 

Though I am pretty amazed that after receiving such a large amount of water the city can clear it as quickly as it did.  Brays was passable at S. Rice and Chimney Rock by 2 or 3 yesterday afternoon.  It seems like a real engineering feat to me that the flood could be handled without catastrophic property damage and the water diverted so quickly. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:03:59 pm by Bench »
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 03:15:04 pm »
A helleuva lot of rain, but no serious flooding here. A very well-designed drainage set up with small ditches to large ditches/bayous to retention ponds all over the place. 8 x 8 foot storm drains under everything.

We had 8 inches of rain in March, 11 in April, and I am guessing a lot more than that this month (the average is around 5"/mo).

This is the wettest March/April/May I can remember.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 03:18:35 pm »
A helleuva lot of rain, but no serious flooding here. A very well-designed drainage set up with small ditches to large ditches/bayous to retention ponds all over the place. 8 x 8 foot storm drains under everything.

We had 8 inches of rain in March, 11 in April, and I am guessing a lot more than that this month (the average is around 5"/mo).

This is the wettest March/April/May I can remember.

May was the wettest month in Texas history.

According to data compiled by the state’s climatologist, John Nielsen-Gammon, the state has received an average 7.54 inches of rain this May, besting the previous record of 6.66 inches in June of 2004.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 03:54:16 pm »
I'm just south of Brays Bayou and while we took a ton of water it never reached our house.  It receded quickly and we were able to drive out around noon.

We lost power at around 9pm and got it back around 4am.  I understand how these things go, so that instance, in and of itself, doesn't bother me.  What bothers me is that we've lost power 14 times (yes, I'm counting) in the last three weeks, for at least 3 hours each time.  We've tossed two full fridges of groceries already and are afraid to waste more money at Kroger just to have it spoil.  They were supposed to cut our power today for 10 hours to fix everything, but with the recent rain they've postponed it indefinitely.  Not saying that was the wrong choice, but damn I want reliable power.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 04:12:41 pm »
Not complaining about the improvements, just kinda heartbroken for my in-laws.  They're probably going to sell the house their kids grew up in  rather than deal with this again in a decade when they're in their 70's.  And their house probably just depreciated $300k in under 48 hours.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 04:14:01 pm »

Not saying that was the wrong choice, but damn I want reliable power.

[Chris Carter nods silently from a dark corner of the dugout]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 05:23:57 pm »
i think everyone needed a smile thanks
forever is composed entirely of nows

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 10:48:35 am »
I think if they hadn't done the work on Brays, then your in-laws may have got more than 4 inches last night...

Chron article on the Brays Bayou improvement project.

Quote:  "As tragic as the flooding and the loss of life was, it could have been much, much worse," said Mike Talbott, the head of the county flood control district. "The work done on Brays Bayou probably saved 1,000 structures from having water in them."

Councilman Larry Green noted that the project is 8 years behind schedule:

"I'm pleased to hear the mitigation work is happening, but that does nothing to ease the loss for hundreds of residents near Brays Bayou west of the Medical Center," Green said. "The streets were backed up because there was nowhere for the water to go. Had the original schedule been kept, we wouldn't have had this problem because we would have had capacity."

A summary of what Project Brays has accomplished so far:

Improvements along Brays Bayou since 2001 include the completion of a 112-acre detention basin underneath Arthur Storey Park and a 40-acre detention pond at Mike Driscoll Park at Old Westheimer Road.

The 400-acre excavation for detention storage beneath Bishop Firenze Park, near Texas 6, is 90 percent complete. And excavation for water storage compartments at Willow Waterhole south of Meyerland in Westbury is about 50 percent complete.

The Brays Bayou work has proceeded from east to west. To date, Project Brays has widened 12.3 miles of channel and repaired or replaced 10 bridges east of Texas 288 near the Medical Center. Crews still have to do another 10 miles of channel construction and 20 bridges to finish up to Fondren.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 11:13:52 am »
The Brays Bayou work has proceeded from east to west. To date, Project Brays has widened 12.3 miles of channel and repaired or replaced 10 bridges east of Texas 288 near the Medical Center. Crews still have to do another 10 miles of channel construction and 20 bridges to finish up to Fondren.

The work they have done east of 288 is pretty nice.  Shame they are so behind schedule, but something was better than nothing, I think.