Author Topic: The new Turleys are here! The new Turleys are here!  (Read 4234 times)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
The new Turleys are here! The new Turleys are here!
« on: April 21, 2015, 10:18:01 am »
Just got my delivery. Ok, Neil, how long do I need to cellar these bad boys?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: The new Turleys are here! The new Turleys are here!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:21:27 am »
I swore I read that headline as *turkeys*.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:25:30 am »

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:26:22 am »

so did I.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:28:42 am »
so did I.

I thought "cellar?...now there's a man who's serious about his poultry."
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:34:46 am »
The great thing about zinfandels is that they're pretty much drinkable from day one.  We opened one of the bottles last night and it was terrific.

ETA:  Of course Mike S should be telling us how to drink these things.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:38:54 am by NeilT »
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:36:14 am »
The great thing about zinfandels Mad Dog is that (it's) pretty much drinkable from day one.  We opened one of the bottles last night and it was terrific.

fixed
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:54:00 am »
after this turkey you can fly. bring back  w             k                r              p
forever is composed entirely of nows

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »
The great thing about zinfandels Mad Dogis that if it's ever drinkable it's they're pretty much drinkable from day one.  We opened one of the bottles last night and it was terrific.

fixed and re-fixed.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 09:18:28 pm »
I had a bottle of Juvenile Zin last night. It was quite good.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:31:03 pm »
In honor of this thread, planned to drink a Turley tonight. Unfortunately, couldn't get one out of the wine fridge without waking the boys, so had a Martinelli instead. Those are damn good too.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 11:32:03 pm »
I'm making a run to Spec's within a few days, could yall give me some recommendation on

1 or 2 very nice bottles
5 or 6 moderate bottles

...and some flavor of bourbon or scotch I'm not yet familiar with
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 11:02:23 pm »

I don't know your familiarity, but:

Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon
Russell's Reserve 6 Yr Rye
Laphroiag 10 Yr Single Malt

If I was stocking a bar those would be my Top 3 (others are better but not exactly at bar-stocking prices).
Don't think twice, it's alright.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 01:15:21 am »
I'm making a run to Spec's within a few days, could yall give me some recommendation on

1 or 2 very nice bottles
5 or 6 moderate bottles

I love the Italian wines. For reds, I always dig amarone and brunello on the "nice" side. Campogiovanni makes an outstanding brunello, as does Carpazo. Masseria Li Veli makes some good wines, including a negro amaro and their susumaniello is excellent.  Li Veli is from the Puglia region, which is the boot heel. Totally different than Tuscan or Sicilian wine, but very good. For Italian whites, I love Poggiobella Pinot Grigio. It's very moderate, and very smooth.

Other than Italian, I'm digging some Argentine malbecs  these days.  Pulenta is my current favorite but Terrazas de Los Andes is nice too. Both are moderate.

Of course you can't go wrong with a good old Pinot noir for just everyday drinking. Lots of good one from the Russian River Valley.

On the scotch side, not sure what would be new to you, but I really like Aberlour 16 these days.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 09:33:04 am »
I love the Italian wines. For reds, I always dig amarone and brunello on the "nice" side. Campogiovanni makes an outstanding brunello, as does Carpazo. Masseria Li Veli makes some good wines, including a negro amaro and their susumaniello is excellent.  Li Veli is from the Puglia region, which is the boot heel. Totally different than Tuscan or Sicilian wine, but very good. For Italian whites, I love Poggiobella Pinot Grigio. It's very moderate, and very smooth.

Other than Italian, I'm digging some Argentine malbecs  these days.  Pulenta is my current favorite but Terrazas de Los Andes is nice too. Both are moderate.

Of course you can't go wrong with a good old Pinot noir for just everyday drinking. Lots of good one from the Russian River Valley.

On the scotch side, not sure what would be new to you, but I really like Aberlour 16 these days.

Do you stick out your pinkie when drinking wine?

Can't stand the stuff, myself. It all tastes like Kool-Aid.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
The new Turleys are here! The new Turleys are here!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 11:39:27 am »
Anderson's Conn Valley Chardonnay is pretty good.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 11:47:39 am »

I've been on a whisky/bourbon cocktail kick lately.  Bulleit Rye is my go-to option for Old Fashioneds and Mint Juleps.

In related news, I've been taking a lot of Ubers lately too.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 11:54:25 am »
Do you stick out your pinkie when drinking wine?

No, but I know to hold the glass by the stem.  There's a reason it's there.

I've actually started to really like wines in the last few years. 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 04:35:34 pm »
Bulleit bourbon is great, and relatively cheap.  I like Highland Park, Bunnahabhain, and Lagavulin for Scotch, and 12 years is usually just fine.

For wines, for cheap, the Penfolds Koonunga Hill from Australia are really good.  I've seen them in Specs for under $10.  The entry level Alamo Malbec is also really well priced.

I like French chardonnay's, and you can usually find Chablis, Macon Villages, and Pouilly Fuisse's from $20-30.  I also like the Sauvingon Blancs from the Loire or New Zealand in the same price range, and Alsatian Reislings. For red's in the same price range I like the Stag's Leap Petit Syrah, and pinot noir's from just about anywhere.

If I'm gonna spend a lot of money, I like chateuneuf de papes, because it's fun to say and they're usually drinkable without a lot of aging, and vin nobile di Montepulciano for exactly the same reasons. And Brunellos.  If you wan't a really big red, try a Cote Rotie.

A lot of the wines I like I have some emotional tie to: I spent a Christmas in Tuscany, I rode a bicycle to Stag's Leap once, I went to Argentina fishing, and the guide would crack a bottle of Malbec everyday at noon . . . So I'm not sure my choices are very rational.  None of them taste like soda pop, but sweet wines are a different discussion.