Author Topic: Top Five Sports Movies  (Read 6076 times)

Noe

Top Five Sports Movies
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:45:37 pm »
I have been watching sports related movies lately (darn you Netflix!). Any way, the variety does not make for the best, just makes for... well... a variety of sports related movies out there. That's why I find myself liking documentaries more and more, and of course documentaries about sports even more. But I thought the other day, if I had a snow day... okay, maybe I should be careful what I wish for... but I digress... what five sports related movies would I pick to sit at home and watch (and hope the pizza delivery guy makes to my house okay)?

Then I thought, there are sports movies that are pretty good, but actually kinda soft when it comes to the actual sport and more heavy on the drama surrounding the sport. So I thought, what actual sports drama movie... I mean where the sports is the drama... would I pick as my top five. I have to admit, I juggled the list a bit several times and even now I struggle with what I came up with. So here is my semi-somewhat final selection:

5. Eight Men Out - I know the sport is not as highlighted as perhaps movies like "For Love of the Game" (an original pick for me at number 5), but like I said, I believe the sport is part of the drama in this movie and pretty well represented, so I settled on this as my one and only baseball movie.

4. The Greatest Game Ever Played - this movie is so good and golf does not take a back seat to the peripheral back story of the young man struggling with his relationship with his father. In fact, the golf scenes are so good, it makes you forgive the back story and yearn for more golf related scenes.

3. Glory Road - this is a fantastic basketball movie and the sport is really highlighted well. I could have gone with Hoosiers and not looked back, but there is something about Glory Road that just gets me excited to watch the next hoop, the next dribble, the next pass. Well done. Still, had I gone with Hoosiers, I would not been disappointed.

2. Cinderella Man - this is a hard pick to make because I admit I love this movie and Giamatti's performance is a gem. I could have gone with Raging Bull or Rocky (the first one that ironically did not have a number to it), but in the end, it was Cinderella Man that kept me wanting to see more and more the fights that this man was having to fight.

1. Miracle - or as my wife says "THAT MOVIE! AGAIN?!?!". Having lived through that whole scene while living as a bachelor in my first year out of college, I remember so well sitting by my small little television set eating a burger and fries while the telecast was going on and then running out of my apartment only to catch a wild mob of celebration going on in the streets near me. I caught a ride with a stranger who was honking his horn and headed to Westhiemer Street, where hundreds of others were driving up and down the street shouting "USA, USA, USA!" That was a great feeling... and this movie does not short sell the hockey action, it promotes it to the star of the movie (alongside Herb Brooks).

So there is my top five... I know there is a vast amount of movies I left out and perhaps movies like Bull Durham, The Natural, and others have more of a true highlight of the "sport" in your mind. So let's have it. Post your top five here!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:48:55 pm by Noe in Austin »

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Top Five Sports Movies
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:59 pm »
Hoosiers, Bull Durham, The Natural, North Dallas Forty, Hoop Dreams
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:55:36 am »
Hoosiers
The Natural
Chariots of Fire
A League of their Own
Sandlot (Your killin me smalls)
Always ready to go to a game.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 07:43:15 am »
Some of these may be too "soft" by your definition but here are my favorites:

1. North Dallas Forty
2. Soul of the Game
3. 61*
4. Bang the Drum Slowly
5. The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings (alternate: "A League of Their Own")

Sorry, couldn't leave this one off as it's still my favorite sports movie of all time (comedy or drama):

Slap Shot

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:46 am »
Slap Shot
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham
Miracle
The Natural
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:32:10 am »
Cool Hand Luke
Papillon
Shawshank Redemption
Exscape From Alcatraz
Birdman Of Alcatraz
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 09:17:34 am »
Field of Dreams
Bull Durham
The Sandlot
Hoosiers
Caddyshack*

*Golf's a sport, right?
Don't think twice, it's alright.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 11:21:27 am »
Cool Hand Luke
Papillon
Shawshank Redemption
Exscape From Alcatraz
Birdman Of Alcatraz

Sphinx, you forgot The Prisoner of Zenda.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 11:25:16 am »
No love for Kingpin or The Big Lebowski?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 12:30:09 pm »
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Sling Blade
King Of Hearts
Awakenings
Girl Interrupted

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:12 pm »
This Sporting Life
Major League
Rocky
The Blind Side
Jerry McGuire
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 01:06:29 pm »
Sphinx, you forgot The Prisoner of Zenda.
And The Great Escape
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 01:44:29 pm »
This Sporting Life
Major League
Rocky
The Blind Side
Jerry McGuire

I've only seen This Sporting Life once, in college.  Unforgettable.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Noe

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:56 pm »
I've only seen This Sporting Life once, in college.  Unforgettable.

"Invictus" is actually a top five in somebodies list for sure. Rugby is highlighted so well in this movie, I actually think I understand how to play and watch a Rugby match watching this film!

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:27:09 pm »
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Sling Blade
King Of Hearts
Awakenings
Girl Interrupted

I liked Silver Linings Playbook, which was definitely a sports movie.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 03:29:10 pm »
Due to snow, I'm home early and thinking of throwing at least Miracle (which I've seen about 8 times) in and maybe a couple of others from Noe's list I haven't seen. Thanks for the good thread.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:11 pm »
I liked Silver Linings Playbook, which was definitely a sports movie.

I liked The Fighter by the same director and also a sports movie.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 03:41:58 pm »

Brewster's Million
Long Gone
The Natural
Field of Dreams
61*

Worst
Sluggers Wife
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 03:42:21 pm »
Hoop Dreams.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 04:11:17 pm »
The Longest Yard (original)
Mash
Bull Durham
Slapstick
Rocky

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 04:29:19 pm »
1. Bull Durham
2. Sandlot
3. A League of Their Own
4. Hoosiers
5. Seven Samurai
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:31:35 pm by NeilT »

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:37 pm »
Easy Living
A Fan's Notes
Paper Lion
Brian's Song
Bad News Bears
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 08:38:13 pm »
The Bridge On The River Kwai
Stalag 17
The Deer Hunter
The Great Escape
Rescue Dawn

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 09:09:45 pm »
Easy Living
A Fan's Notes
Paper Lion
Brian's Song
Bad News Bears

Wasn't Brian's Song made for TV? 

Noe

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 11:57:49 pm »
The Daily News posted their top 25, but here are their top five:

5. Bull Durham
4. Slapshot
3. Rocky
2. Hoosiers

and numbero uno....

1. Raging Bull

P.S. Neither Cinderella Man, The Greatest Game Ever Played, nor Glory Road (from my list) made their top 25. Neither did Sandlot. But CaddyShack (at #7)? A sports movie? C'mon!!! Three other movies from their top 25 that I would throw out: Talledega Nights (that is a huge stretch to call this a sports movie... huge stretch), Heaven Can Wait (same here, the football is a backdrop at best and barely noticeable), and Bad News Bears. Not that they are bad movies, far from it... but they use sports as a backdrop for comedy (same way I feel about Caddyshack).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/25-greatest-sports-movies-gallery-1.52876?pmSlide=1.53106
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:05:14 am by Noe in Austin »

Noe

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 12:01:39 am »
1. Bull Durham
2. Sandlot
3. A League of Their Own
4. Hoosiers
5. Seven Samurai

Have you ever seen the series of movies with Donnie Yen called "Ip Man". He was the grandmaster of the martial art of Wing Chun and was the teacher for Bruce Lee. The first two movies are fantastic! Ip Man and Ip Man 2. Caught them on Netflix and I got hooked right away.

Noe

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 12:11:43 am »
Some of these may be too "soft" by your definition but here are my favorites:

1. North Dallas Forty
2. Soul of the Game
3. 61*
4. Bang the Drum Slowly
5. The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings (alternate: "A League of Their Own")

Sorry, couldn't leave this one off as it's still my favorite sports movie of all time (comedy or drama):

Slap Shot

I watched Soul of the Game a few weeks back. Delroy Lindo as Satchel Page was great! Made me feel real sad for Josh Gibson though. Real sad.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 05:24:08 am »
It Happens Every Spring
The Pride Of The Yankees
Brewster's Millions
The Fan
Tie: The Babe and the Babe Ruth Story

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 07:44:43 am »

5. Bull Durham
4. Slapshot
3. Rocky
2. Hoosiers

and numbero uno....

1. Raging Bull

P.S. Neither Cinderella Man, The Greatest Game Ever Played, nor Glory Road (from my list) made their top 25. Neither did Sandlot. But CaddyShack (at #7)? A sports movie? C'mon!!! Three other movies from their top 25 that I would throw out: Talledega Nights (that is a huge stretch to call this a sports movie... huge stretch), Heaven Can Wait (same here, the football is a backdrop at best and barely noticeable), and Bad News Bears. Not that they are bad movies, far from it... but they use sports as a backdrop for comedy (same way I feel about Caddyshack).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/25-greatest-sports-movies-gallery-1.52876?pmSlide=1.53106

Say it Ricky Bobby, "i ... love ... crepes ..."  I included the Seven Samurai because its my favorite movie and they kept score, but I've got to say, Talledega Nights is a better sports movie than Seven Samurai.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 08:28:43 am »
Say it Ricky Bobby, "i ... love ... crepes ..."  I included the Seven Samurai because its my favorite movie and they kept score, but I've got to say, Talledega Nights is a better sports movie than Seven Samurai.

How the hell is Talladega Nights any less of a sports movie than any of the others on the list, say Bull Durham for example?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 08:32:19 am »
How the hell is Talladega Nights any less of a sports movie than any of the others on the list, say Bull Durham for example?

Maybe it's because it's a bit of a parody of a sports movie?  But it seems to me that it's very true to the conventions of the genre.  or something.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 08:52:05 am »
Maybe it's because it's a bit of a parody of a sports movie?  But it seems to me that it's very true to the conventions of the genre.  or something.

And Bull Durham was a documentary?  They didn't even know the "magic word".

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 09:21:48 am »
And Bull Durham was a documentary?  They didn't even know the "magic word".

I don't remember the movie well enough to remember that. However, it got me thinking about a conversation that I had with former NL umpire Greg Bonin (who, incidentally, told Richie Phillips that he was screwing up in the umpires strike back then), with whom I used to drink some back in the day. The "magic word" to getting run is "you." You can say "that was the most horseshit call I've ever seen" and get away with that. Now, if you instead said "you're horseshit," you're gonna get run. Everyone knows the rule too, so when someone gets run, they do it on purpose most of the time.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 09:33:40 am »
I don't remember the movie well enough to remember that. However, it got me thinking about a conversation that I had with former NL umpire Greg Bonin (who, incidentally, told Richie Phillips that he was screwing up in the umpires strike back then), with whom I used to drink some back in the day. The "magic word" to getting run is "you." You can say "that was the most horseshit call I've ever seen" and get away with that. Now, if you instead said "you're horseshit," you're gonna get run. Everyone knows the rule too, so when someone gets run, they do it on purpose most of the time.

"I said it was a cocksucking call!!"
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 09:41:23 am »
"I said it was a cocksucking call!!"

Bull Durham wasn't a documentary?

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 04:01:37 pm »

5. Bull Durham
4. Slapshot
3. Rocky
2. Hoosiers

and numbero uno....

1. Raging Bull

The list was done in 2009 so some of those may not have been out yet.
Always ready to go to a game.